Design District: Dallas Mavs Practice Facility

Postby art_suckz » 21 Oct 2016 14:20

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... esign.html

Candace Carlisle
Staff Writer
Dallas Business Journal
Oct 16, 2016, 9:58pm CDT

Dallas Mavs' Mark Cuban unveils new $70M Design District practice facility

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban unveiled the team's new $70 million double-court training facility in the Dallas Design District on Sunday, but told reporters it would be the first phase of a multi-phase development.

With more buildings on 14 acres of land, Cuban said the idea was just to get something open so they could practice with plans to do more in the future. He said the newly gutted warehouse that will serve as the new training facility is temporary until other development plans come together.

mavspracticefacility2-copy-750xx1730-973-0-98.jpg

Those plans could include a new arena on the property even though the Mavericks have a lease with the American Airlines Center for the next 14 years. The plans for a new arena in the next 15 years are still being discussed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Design District: Dallas Mavs Practice Facility

Postby tamtagon » 22 Oct 2016 06:35

So, what's wrong with the old arena?

willyk

Postby willyk » 23 Oct 2016 04:16

$$$ It doesn't do for Cuban what AT&T Stadium does for Jones--add $1 Billion to the sale value of the team. $$$

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Oct 2016 14:45

A good thing for Victory Park's future would be the stadium repurposed or torn down for another development project with a new arena across the street connected by various means. I would love to just hold onto stadiums endlessly as one function and one need but the reality is they have been evolving as the decades have passed. Arenas/stadiums used to be just an expense on the list of needs to have a team but with increasing pressure for teams to be businesses. We want future stadiums/arenas to refrain from causing negative impacts on the surrounding economy but be profit centers for teams beyond games. This pursuit has potentially positive implications on the surrounding neighborhoods. New facilities can take round the clock uses into their design schemes so less focus is on vast empty parking lots and massive traffic getaways and more on stadiums blending into the daily neighborhood fabric.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 25 Oct 2016 16:02

cowboyeagle05 wrote:A good thing for Victory Park's future would be the stadium repurposed or torn down for another development project with a new arena across the street connected by various means...

How much of the design district would be wiped off the map to get a new stadium? To me that would change the character of the area too much.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Oct 2016 21:43

art_suckz wrote:How much of the design district would be wiped off the map to get a new stadium? To me that would change the character of the area too much.

I'm only eyeballin it using google maps, but it looks like the current AAC could mostly fit in the lot of land that Cuban just purchased. That particular lot isn't really anything special and doesn't add any 'character' to the area, so I'm fine with the whole lot being razed for a new stadium at some point. While I like the AAC being located in Victory Park, the area will be completely different in 14 years time and the neighborhood will have 'outgrown' the arena, so it makes sense for a new arena to be built and something more fitting to Victory Park to take the place of the AAC.

Since the new plot of land is so close to VP, I really do hope there are some extravagant plans to connect the two in some way. I doubt this is even possible, but putting the new arena on top of the highway would be a good use of space and would allow for excellent connectivity to the design district, victory park, and the DART rail station.

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 26 Oct 2016 01:06

DPatel304 wrote:
art_suckz wrote:How much of the design district would be wiped off the map to get a new stadium? To me that would change the character of the area too much.

I'm only eyeballin it using google maps, but it looks like the current AAC could mostly fit in the lot of land that Cuban just purchased. That particular lot isn't really anything special and doesn't add any 'character' to the area, so I'm fine with the whole lot being razed for a new stadium at some point. While I like the AAC being located in Victory Park, the area will be completely different in 14 years time and the neighborhood will have 'outgrown' the arena, so it makes sense for a new arena to be built and something more fitting to Victory Park to take the place of the AAC.

Since the new plot of land is so close to VP, I really do hope there are some extravagant plans to connect the two in some way. I doubt this is even possible, but putting the new arena on top of the highway would be a good use of space and would allow for excellent connectivity to the design district, victory park, and the DART rail station.

Putting it on top of the highway would be amazing. Green strips north and south of the arean could act as park land. Then use the area around the practice faciltiy for all the touristy/drinky places that sports fans need to practice the national religion.

That would hopefully stop all the art/design/antique shops from being overrun.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 26 Oct 2016 15:02

Can't the Stars and concerts /events stay at American and the Mavs and concerts/ events go to the new facility and then a deck park on that that section to connect the 2 when lowest stemmons is redeveloped?!

It would be a sports and entertainment Mecca, would connect victory with design and the last piece would be the trail connector?

Why does AAC have to be torn down just because the Mavs move?

jimmyx18

Postby jimmyx18 » 27 Oct 2016 16:36

Dmkflyer wrote:Can't the Stars and concerts /events stay at American and the Mavs and concerts/ events go to the new facility and then a deck park on that that section to connect the 2 when lowest stemmons is redeveloped?!

It would be a sports and entertainment Mecca, would connect victory with design and the last piece would be the trail connector?

Why does AAC have to be torn down just because the Mavs move?

I think the problem with having two arena next to each other would be revenue. It would be hard to make both arena's profitable and semi-well utilized at the same time. I believe part of the deal when the AAC was built was to limit "competition" within a certain radius. I'm not sure when that provision expires, but it would seem Cuban wouldn't build a shiny new arena at the top of a high-rise building with event competition sitting across the highway.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Oct 2016 16:57

They tried that with the old Reunion Arena....where is that now? I just can't believe we just tore that one down several years ago and are already talking about replacing what we have now.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 27 Oct 2016 18:37

Maybe it's because I'm new, but what's so bad about the AAC?

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 27 Oct 2016 19:26

If AAC is ever demolished, I hope an underground parking garage is put in its place and that a large part of the footprint becomes a park and then we'd have an actual Victory Park.

Decking part of lowest Stemmons or even putting a nice bridge or at least a bridge to the rail stop would be the cherry on top and would provide better rail access to the design district.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Nov 2016 12:44

dukemeredith wrote:Maybe it's because I'm new, but what's so bad about the AAC?

Good question but I think you would have to ask Mark Cuban for that answer. I think there are some legitimate arguments for replacing the current facility but asking for city funds is where it rubs me the wrong way. I get it the business of stadiums/arenas is changing and has been for decades now but I am still not seeing the proof to make sense that taxpayers should have to hand out large incentives to build these facilities.

What killed Reunion, by the way, was AA Centers management. They had plenty of potentially booked events for both facilities but the AA Center was focused on making Reunion look like a useless shell of its former self to ensure its eventual demise. The AA Center management had the contractual right to turn down bookings at Reunion no matter if the AA Center was booked already or not. The AA center exercised that right almost immediately to make Reunion look bad. The city tore it down because they had no desire to get into a battle over contracts. It's the nature of the business I get it but yes Mark is not going to want an older AA Center to keep a newer arena from taking over the Downtown market for events.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 08 Nov 2016 14:48

Reunion would have been great, cut in half and taking the role of a Verizon type venue and even the smaller sports venue that the Convention Center arena is currently taking on.