North Dallas: Midtown

Tnexster

North Dallas: Midtown

Postby Tnexster » 20 Dec 2016 10:43

Developers working on office, apartment and hotel projects at Valley View site

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... -view-site

After years of planning and talk about construction, work is finally ready to start on redevelopment of the old Valley View Mall in North Dallas.

The mostly vacant shopping mall at LBJ Freeway and Montfort Road is the largest piece of what's called the Midtown district along the north side of the freeway.

Investors and developers have bought up much of the land between the Galleria Dallas and Valley View with plans to build a 5-acre park, apartments, retail space, restaurants, offices and additional mixed-use development.

Within the coming weeks demolition will begin on the former Macy's department store at the west end of Valley View mall.

Brettoj

Re: North Dallas: Midtown

Postby Brettoj » 20 Dec 2016 10:45

About time. Seems like they have been talking about it for years.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Dec 2016 11:15

It does seem a little slow but there has to be a ton of moving parts on a project of this size. It does sound like things are progressing which is good for this part of Dallas. Will be even better if they start landing some projects that might otherwise go further north.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Feb 2017 09:42

Dallas' Valley View mall days are numbered with new project on the way

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... roject-way

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Feb 2017 10:03

How much is left to fill out in Frisco's The Star? More than likely once The Cowboys have the masterplan filled, the whole development will be reviewed and space will be found more additional phases, but how are the other billion dollar deals on the Frisco Mile progressing? Hasn't one of them pretty much stalled all together, awaiting a thoughtful reboot?

I'm asking because when Dallas Midtown is ready to start signing tenants, it'll probably be first/second/third choice over Miracle Mile, Plano West, Las Colinas, Telecom Corridor, Lake Cities and I wonder if any scouting teams have already started to slow the search across North Texas pending Midtown possibilities.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 01 Feb 2017 10:18

^^^^ I think it will do relatively well in terms of competing with other developments due to the high amount of amenities, location between downtown and Frisco, plus the possibility of a new school in the development. I believe it will also pull millennials who work in the northern burbs who would like city life but do not want to commute all the way to Central Dallas.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 01 Feb 2017 11:57

I work near Valley View and noticed that they've removed the murals from the old JC Penney. It's a bit interesting, as the surface of the walls don't seem too impacted (from a distance), and the rest of the building still remains. I wonder if they were trying to salvage as much as they could without a full-on preservation effort?

dallasbeatsaustin

Postby dallasbeatsaustin » 01 Feb 2017 12:48

Wait, I though they determined that removing the murals would essentially destroy them for purposes of preservation? Something about the concrete used to set the art work.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Feb 2017 13:34

Someone may have paid for taking them in whatever way they could remove them. Remember Headington was the one that paid for the removal of the murals from the Mercantile building at the last second. Maybe someone had a similar desire to save as much as they could get.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Feb 2017 15:14

Per Beat Writer Candice Carlisle via Twitter:
Screenshot_20170203-151021.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Mar 2017 11:36

How this new Dallas Midtown hotel group managed the city's form-based code

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... d-the.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Apr 2017 08:19

just wanted to get a pretty picture of this plan posted....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Apr 2017 08:56

As much as I'd love to see something to that scale get built... It just doesn't seem to be getting any traction. So far, everything that's been planned is pretty small, right?
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 14 Apr 2017 11:03

I believe they are starting it in stages. The demand is definitely there. Office demand off 635 has dramatically increased in the past year after construction ended. Not to mention, there are still tons of businesses and lots in the location that need to be bought out.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Apr 2017 12:23

Any of the corporate office deals rumored to be 'circling' Las Colinas, Plano and Frisco should be courted for this stretch.... almost certainly Dallas Midtown will resonate more strongly for a handful of those trendy support service consolidations.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 01 May 2017 10:58

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2017/05/01/sears-first-department-store-valley-view-center-last-leave

Seritage Growth Partners owns the Sears store and 22.5 acres. It's on the prime northwest corner of Preston Road and LBJ Freeway that fans out from the mall and includes parking, its auto center and the Jared jewelry store.

Interesting here, as I thought that Beck owned the entire site from Noel to Preston (east to west). I wonder how soon the ball will start swinging on the remainder of the mall now.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jun 2017 10:07

Dallas developer Scott Beck to begin Valley View Center demolition this week

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=78426681

The Valley View Center demolition will begin with an official ceremony on Friday, June 23 at 9:30 a.m., which will be open to the public. The beginning of the mall's demolition makes way for Beck's $4 billion reimagined Dallas Midtown project.

Beck has hired Lloyd D. Nabors Demolition to oversee the demolition of the mall. The firm has already begun scrapping the former Macy's store to make way for a new office and retail project.

Other projects in the Dallas Midtown district are underway through demolition of existing facilities and new ground-up office and retail development.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2017 10:23

I wish this one would hurry up! I'm ready for Dallas to have a second downtown.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2017 11:08

Yeah, they waited for West Legacy to open to start. At least that's how things lined up...

willyk

Postby willyk » 23 Jun 2017 02:46

Does this developer have a record of doing anything of this scale? I am worried they are in over their heads and that is why nothing has happened here.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Jun 2017 08:53

Well, the first phase looks pretty good but I do wonder if they will be able to get more of their vision off the ground. The good part is the land will be cleared of the old mall so even if they can't get the entire site done they can pull a Hillwood and sell off parcels to be developed individually and there are some development standards set on the land so things will have to be approved. You won't see a standard shopping center go up without city review first.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 Jun 2017 09:52

So far, they are falling far short of the grand vision. AFAIK, there are two projects under construction. Mill Creek's 5-story apartment building and the 5 story AC/Residence Inn. Both quite suburban in character and nothing remotely similar to the glamorous curvy high rises master-planned for that location.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Jun 2017 07:58

I don't think the Mill Creek and AC/Residence builds are a disappointment at all. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that particular area was slotted to be anything incredibly flashing. Nice, decent-sized density is great.

It didn't mention it in the article, but I'm curious if the announcement of the Cinepolis means that AMC is on its way out. On a more macro scale, I wonder if the Cinepolis/LOOK/Alamo/etc model of movie theater is going to eventually kick the standard theater to the curb.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jun 2017 08:47

Tucy wrote:So far, they are falling far short of the grand vision. AFAIK, there are two projects under construction. Mill Creek's 5-story apartment building and the 5 story AC/Residence Inn. Both quite suburban in character and nothing remotely similar to the glamorous curvy high rises master-planned for that location.

They are quite on scale with their released plans though. If you look at the details they announced both those projects fit right in with the released renderings in scale and reach. The curvy glass towers you speak of were always less detailed and listed as later phases until someone like an AT&T shows up and says we would like to make a deal today. The plan for the first phase has always been 5 stories on an "urban walkable street" and so far what I have seen being built is just that.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Jun 2017 10:25

Maybe this masterplan acreage will actually break the trance of office space profit potential afflicting so many developers.... if the masterplan takes care of the residents first, the office space will be even more profitable.

Break even or earn a meek profit by getting people to use the bare bones of the development first, then bring in the corporate campus cul-de-sac highrises.

I mean, that really nice mall is right there, The Galleria, I'm sure thousands of folks would see the appeal to have a nice condo across the street.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 30 Jun 2017 23:36

First look at huge Life Time Athletic coming to Dallas' Midtown at old Valley View site

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -view-site

You've heard the expression that so-and-so lives at the gym. In a couple of years, that will be possible in North Dallas. At the new Midtown development replacing Valley View Center, a planned Life Time Athletic Club will be connected to 300 to 400 apartments. There's more. You can work and eat there, too. The Life Time club will be one of the company's largest at 183,000 square feet. And the Life Time Living apartments will be connected to Life Time Work, which is 50,000 square feet of co-working space.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Jul 2017 00:16

That's pretty cool. I've always thought it would be cool if the apartments in Uptown offered something like this. On the one hand, it's cool that most apartment complexes have their own gyms, but I would prefer it if several buildings got together, ditched their individual gyms and had a 'shared gym', which is larger and more useful.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 01 Jul 2017 10:50

Very cool concept. From the way it is oriented, this will be placed on Preston Road where an empty lot, a furniture store, and a car lot are (you can see the LA Fitness along Preston in the background). Having this facility, plus the Cinepolis Theater, will get this neighborhood off to a great start at attracting additional residential and office development. Hopefully, some of the corporate relos will start going here. It would be a great commuting location, able to draw workers from both the northern suburbs and downtown/uptown within a reasonable commuting distance.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Jul 2017 12:00

I have liked most of the 'signature' office towers proposed with the handful of Midtown Galleria renderings over the years, but I'm really hoping for something closer to 1,000' than 500'. Let's get something firmly plotted into the horizon.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Jul 2017 15:49

A skyline outside of Downtown is known as a sprawl line.. Lets not be Houston.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jul 2017 16:03

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:A skyline outside of Downtown is known as a sprawl line.. Lets not be Houston.

We are long past that and growing more skylines farther away from downtown.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 01 Jul 2017 23:46

Tnexster wrote:We are long past that and growing more skylines farther away from downtown.

Isn't that the truth! That genie's been let out of the bottle long ago!

In Dallas proper we already have the equivalent of three satellite downtown clusters:

* Galleria business district
* High Five (Park Central) business district
* Preston Center business district

And of course Las Colinas is literally a stone's throw just outside the City Limits of Dallas in Irving as another satellite downtown as is Addison (which is in many ways a continuation of the Galleria district spreading north along the Dallas North Tollway).

The clusters of highrises blossoming in Plano and Frisco are yet additional satellite downtowns.

However, Midtown's development will add enormous density and panache to the already existing Galleria district, over time transforming it into a very significant satellite of much greater density with, as Tamtagon suggested, hopefully towers that are skyscraper height (500' and up).

As long as Downtown Dallas and its myriad districts (CBD, Uptown, Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Design District, Cedars, etc.) continue the enormous growth being experienced then growth of satellite downtowns are just a further testament to the enormous vitality and strength of the Dallas metro as a whole.

Downtown Dallas will remain the central core that the satellites are secondary to just given its existing significant critical mass and the heady growth momentum underway.

Dallas will need to execute additional growth plans (such as the Trinity Lakes and Parks) to propel it yet further ahead as the central core ... and I am confident that will happen. Too much is at stake not to do so.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 02 Jul 2017 13:20

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Tucy wrote:So far, they are falling far short of the grand vision. AFAIK, there are two projects under construction. Mill Creek's 5-story apartment building and the 5 story AC/Residence Inn. Both quite suburban in character and nothing remotely similar to the glamorous curvy high rises master-planned for that location.

They are quite on scale with their released plans though. If you look at the details they announced both those projects fit right in with the released renderings in scale and reach. The curvy glass towers you speak of were always less detailed and listed as later phases until someone like an AT&T shows up and says we would like to make a deal today. The plan for the first phase has always been 5 stories on an "urban walkable street" and so far what I have seen being built is just that.

Are you suggesting that the high rises shown in the renderings are for second generation development, when these low rises are ready to be demolished and replaced?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 03 Jul 2017 08:44

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:

Are you suggesting that the high rises shown in the renderings are for second generation development, when these low rises are ready to be demolished and replaced?

Not at all. The development that is happening right now is exactly what's on their current plans/renderings. The taller office towers are to come later as they sign tenants and move into more phases of development. They are already marketing two office towers that are featured in the master plan. The Hillwood office tower along the freeway and a Park Tower seen in recent renderings as part of an office complex near the entrance of the future park. Not everything in the previosuly announced plans was 20-30 stories tall. The 4-5 story stuff is featured amoungst the taller stuff.

http://www.dallasmidtown.com/pdf/Dallas_Midtown_Brochure_v3.pdf

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Jul 2017 09:29

I'm still hoping for much more interesting architecture for the highrises. What's shown is very contemporary Plano/Frisco/Uptown boilerplate. But if the mid-century variations continue, how about get into something really deep.

Either way, this part of town, this particularly strong sprawl line, really needs a persuasive focal point on the horizon signaling the transformation to downtown.

One of the previous developers of this real estate, Ikon I think, has some super different building renderings. Kind of twisty, glimmery, taller versions of the new Rolex Bldg.... like, it would fit with some of the new buildings in London....

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 03 Jul 2017 23:29

Eh...I'm starting to get burned out of these generic glass towers. This area definitely needs some standout architecture. Maybe one twisty glass tower. We need more classical architecture. Less stucco, more brick and mortar or marble facades. Dallas is well known for it's postmodern icons. We should continue that streak and lay off the generic glass towers.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 Jul 2017 09:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:

Not at all. The development that is happening right now is exactly what's on their current plans/renderings. The taller office towers are to come later as they sign tenants and move into more phases of development. They are already marketing two office towers that are featured in the master plan. The Hillwood office tower along the freeway and a Park Tower seen in recent renderings as part of an office complex near the entrance of the future park. Not everything in the previosuly announced plans was 20-30 stories tall. The 4-5 story stuff is featured amoungst the taller stuff.

http://www.dallasmidtown.com/pdf/Dallas_Midtown_Brochure_v3.pdf

I don't think so. The renderings show high rises along Noel Rd where the 5-story Mill creek apartments and the 5-story dual branded hotel are going in.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2017 14:17

Tucy wrote:
I don't think so. The renderings show high rises along Noel Rd where the 5-story Mill creek apartments and the 5-story dual branded hotel are going in.

That's because that isn't Beck Ventures property aka the main thrust of the Midtown redevelopment. I am referring to the property that Beck Ventures is redeveloping which is most of the Valley View mall land. The property you are referring to is owned by a different landowner and being developed by another company. The renderings you are referencing are a suggestion, a vision as it is also called for the entire area but are not doctrine. As long as developers building something in an urban form that fits the guidelines recently established for the area they can build without much interference from the city.

That landowner you speak of decided that they didn't want to wait for denser development for some future phase. They were happy enough with making money now off of a smaller development that is still in urban form.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Jul 2017 14:30

So we're in agreement that the Mill Creek and dual-branded hotel developments fall far short of the vision shown in the renderings.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2017 14:37

I am still trying to figure out your point but that goes without saying.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Jul 2017 15:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am still trying to figure out your point but that goes without saying.

Merely an observation that the developments that have gone up so far in the "Dallas Midtown" fall far short of the vision depicted in the master plan renderings. Even you cannot disagree with that (having already said the same thing in different words). I'm sure the developers of those properties (Mill Creek and the dual-branded hotel) had good reason for not building anything similar to the vision shown in renderings and I don't fault them for making those choices, but that doesn't change the reality.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Jul 2017 15:13

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I am still trying to figure out your point but that goes without saying.

Merely an observation that the developments that have gone up so far in the "Dallas Midtown" fall far short of the vision depicted in the master plan renderings. Even you cannot disagree with that (having already said the same thing in different words). I'm sure the developers of those properties (Mill Creek and the dual-branded hotel) had good reason for not building anything similar to the vision shown in renderings and I don't fault them for making those choices, but that doesn't change the reality.

Well considering those visions you are referencing are based on an estimation of what's possible mixed with a lot of sparkle for marketing purposed I didn't buy into this project based on the vision renderings. I merely agreed with redevelopment vision that promised denser and less car only focused mixed use development on the Valley View site and surrounding area. The two projects described here are what the area needs so I have no issues with what is being built. In fact, I think it shows there is pent up demand even next to a freeway to build compacted development on what was before expansive suburban oriented development parcels. I don't feel these two projects are at all falling short on any promises cause, in fact, those renderings weren't promises at all.

I like you have followed development patterns in Dallas for years now and know how to filter out the flash in the pan marketing renderings and focus on the regulations, overlays, form-based code, incentives that will actually steer the real beneficial development of the city. I am happy where things are going and think they are right on message here. No crying kids on Christmas morning here.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 05 Jul 2017 16:30

Is there a map/rendering that shows only what Beck has control over? I never picked up on the idea that he only had a certain area, and that the renderings were all "potential". I know you can only take certain things with a grain of salt, but that seems particularly shady.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 06 Jul 2017 00:04

Tucy wrote:So we're in agreement that the Mill Creek and dual-branded hotel developments fall far short of the vision shown in the renderings.

I guess we know which thread to find you on now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jul 2017 10:10

exelone31 wrote:Is there a map/rendering that shows only what Beck has control over? I never picked up on the idea that he only had a certain area, and that the renderings were all "potential". I know you can only take certain things with a grain of salt, but that seems particularly shady.

It's not shady in that the city worked with Beck and other surrounding landowners to create a vision masterplan for the whole area as written in the newspaper numerous times. The vision was developed with multiple landowners and the business community involved.

http://dallasmidtownvision.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Midtown_OneSheet.pdf

The Dallas Midtown vision was initiated by Dallas City Councilmember
Linda Koop in 2010. Her vision has been adopted by the City of Dallas
and the North Dallas Chamber of Commerce to create a public-private
partnership that includes a collaborative effort among major property
owners to develop the 450 acres that include Valley View Center and its
surrounding areas.

Today, Councilmember Koop’s vision is becoming a reality with the plan
for a vibrant town center that offers a place for people to live, work
and play. Last year, the North Dallas Chamber of Commerce received
financial support from the City of Dallas to oversee the vision phase of
the project. Architectural firm OMNIPLAN was selected in the fall of 2012
to create the vision plan and apply their expertise in urban planning to
consider the possibilities of a redesigned and revitalized Midtown area.
Realizing the Dallas Midtown vision will continue to be a collaborative
effort of public and private entities that includes business and property
owners, community members, the North Dallas Chamber of Commerce
and the City of Dallas. We encourage the community to speak up and
get involved to help shape the future of this area into a popular urban
destination.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jul 2017 10:59

If you want clarification on the Beck Ventures part of the area look at this pdf...

http://www.dallasmidtown.com/pdf/Dallas ... ter%20Plan[5].pdf

Blue area is Becks Ventures land.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 10.58.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 11.02.10 AM.png

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Jul 2017 11:47

Thanks cowboyeagle05! Perhaps "shady" was the wrong word choice. I'm a big fan of this development, and the work that's been done thus far. I'm curious as always to see what actually gets developed versus what's planned, as this is a very large area with quite a few existing/inhabited structures.

Hopefully the dirt flying gets the rest of the stakeholders inspired to finish out other pieces of the vision.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jul 2017 12:44

exelone31 wrote:Thanks cowboyeagle05! Perhaps "shady" was the wrong word choice. I'm a big fan of this development, and the work that's been done thus far. I'm curious as always to see what actually gets developed versus what's planned, as this is a very large area with quite a few existing/inhabited structures.

Hopefully, the dirt flying gets the rest of the stakeholders inspired to finish out other pieces of the vision.

Just understand its a very long term play and land owners will decide ultimately what they will do with their property despite an agreed upon vision. If they can get the zoning change etc pushed through despite a previous handshake agreement on a vision they will do exactly what they think is the best thing for their land. That includes leasing land to suburban development that will be attracted to the better circumstances of the new development Beck Ventures is progressing on. I guarantee we will see something like a Race Trac/QT request that will end up with the city trying to weigh how hard of a line to hold on allowing variation to the urban walkable density the vision aligns with.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Jul 2017 14:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I guarantee we will see something like a Race Trac/QT request that will end up with the city trying to weigh how hard of a line to hold on allowing variation to the urban walkable density the vision aligns with.

Fortunately, there's a QT that just opened on the northeast corner of Preston and Alpha! :)

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 06 Jul 2017 14:47

CVS, we await thee