North Dallas: Midtown

mhainli

Re: North Dallas: Midtown

Postby mhainli » 04 Jan 2022 20:57

Tnexster wrote:Not altogether sure rebranding will fix the problem here.

Agreed..

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Jan 2022 23:55

Tnexster wrote:Not altogether sure rebranding will fix the problem here.

It won't.

The location is fine, so that's not the issue either.

On the plus side, I think the AMC Theatre is finally closed.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Jan 2022 06:08

I'm glad the name changed. If the most recent expansion of downtown is going to be called Uptown, it made no sense for the Galleria area to get called Midtown.

https://dallasinnovates.com/new-dallas- ... showplace/

The location really is everything it's touted to be.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2022 16:41

DBJ Version

Dallas redeveloping Valley View-Galleria area into International District

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... pment.html

Dallas is redeveloping the Valley View-Galleria area into the city's International District.

The city is developing a strategic plan for the area that will rename the 450-acres of "Midtown" north of I-635, between the Dallas North Tollway and Preston Road. It is a part of a redevelopment project that will include 10,000 homes, food and entertainment options, a 20-acre park and eventually a DART light rail connection.

Dallas has partnered with private developers, neighborhood stakeholders and the North Dallas Chamber of Commerce since 2011 to create the redevelopment vision for the Valley View-Galleria area, according to a presentation given to the city's economic development committee.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jan 2022 08:31

this sounds like the city is just trying to take the steering wheel away from Beck Group who has shown they cant be the leader here. They had a chance and citizens are complaining about the state of things so the city is trying to keep momentum going.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 06 Jan 2022 15:08

cowboyeagle05 wrote:this sounds like the city is just trying to take the steering wheel away from Beck Group who has shown they cant be the leader here. They had a chance and citizens are complaining about the state of things so the city is trying to keep momentum going.

That’s what it sounds like to me too. If the city is serious about this then it needs to further develop their vision for this “International” district, then pony up more money and resources to get things going. For that the question becomes are the city politics there to follow through with this vision? Can the single-member district council members rally around something beneficial (ultimately increased revenue) for the whole city? Or will it be another divisive issue? Leaving it to developers to hodgepodge in a few apartment complexes and office buildings is a betterment over the current wasteland at the Valley View site but certainly not the highest and best use that a well thought out district might be.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jan 2022 16:05

I think its more of a question about is the city a good developer/developer partner and just look at the city approval process and you can have your answer. Do we want a city that can better strong arm and push things along or do we prefer passive. More aggressive means more spending of tax money on pet projects and I mean a lot more than than even now. Things better left for the private sector. In this case the city is focusing on a good part which is the park cause its more community driven. They need to be aggressive about purchasing the land for the park. Have the next Klyde Warren coming and developers will line up and so will potential tenants.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Jan 2022 16:17

But what, really, is the vision for the "International" District and what is "international" about it? Other than the new name, what is different from the original Midtown plan? Looks like lipstick on a pig.

willyk

Postby willyk » 07 Jan 2022 02:13

Classic overreach by an amateur developer. They think that once they have the dirt they are qualified to develop the property.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Jan 2022 08:48

Tucy wrote:But what, really, is the vision for the "International" District and what is "international" about it? Other than the new name, what is different from the original Midtown plan? Looks like lipstick on a pig.

I think its pretty clear if you read the articles the city picked a name out of a hat to try to take control of the overall vision. The whole International arts cultural center? I mean what organizations are they trying to lure to the new cultural zone? Why are we calling it international? What does the area have anything to do with international anything more than Uptown or the Design District or even Deep Ellum. They probably saw a brochure for a another cities "International District" and are just trying to use that as inspiration without any true history to work with. The city is just moving the deck chairs around on this Titanic wandering around in the North Atlantic looking for a place to dock.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2022 14:52

It's been six months since the last post on this one. Is anything happening here? Seems very quiet.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jul 2022 14:56

Tnexster wrote:It's been six months since the last post on this one. Is anything happening here? Seems very quiet.

Where did I put my surprised face? Seems like I can never find it when I need it. ;)

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 25 Jul 2022 15:09

Tnexster wrote:It's been six months since the last post on this one. Is anything happening here? Seems very quiet.

At some point in that time window they redid the tall Valley View mall sign overlooking the service road to now say Dallas Midtown.

Sooo...

Unless that happened much longer ago? This space changes so slowly I can never tell. lol.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 25 Jul 2022 15:21

They have laid some streets off of Preston Road into the property along with utilities. Nothing has progressed any farther than that.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jul 2022 11:13

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:

At some point in that time window they redid the tall Valley View mall sign overlooking the service road to now say Dallas Midtown.

Sooo...

Unless that happened much longer ago? This space changes so slowly I can never tell. lol.

Sooo... will they be redoing that sign again to now say "International District"? LOL

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 26 Jul 2022 11:39

Sooo... will they be redoing that sign again to now say "International District"? LOL

They can put the property name up in those McDonalds deal block letters. Or on a chalkboard if they are "boogie".

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2022 13:28

Can we just lease some of the lands to HEB and call it a day. Give at least North Dallas an HEB. The side facing the freeway can include the store with urban elements infilled behind. If HEB will be up for it, make the store the lower levels with housing/office stacked on top. You can still have a parking lot facing the freeway with extra parking built into shared garages for residential or office use.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 27 Jul 2022 10:02

The whole area from the Galleria up to Spring Valley and over to Preston is looking really shoddy with empty storefronts. I am hoping this the black hole before it regentrifies with new building apartments and mostly people. Drove around up there for the first time in about 3 years its looking pretty bleak.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jul 2022 10:58

Cbdallas wrote:The whole area from the Galleria up to Spring Valley and over to Preston is looking really shoddy with empty storefronts. I am hoping this the black hole before it regentrifies with new building apartments and mostly people. Drove around up there for the first time in about 3 years its looking pretty bleak.

Meanwhile in south Dallas, the RedBird development chugs along. It's completely opposite from what I thought would happen but glad they added RedBird to that TIF. RedBird will be completed before Midtown gets some footing.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 27 Jul 2022 11:55

Cbdallas wrote:The whole area from the Galleria up to Spring Valley and over to Preston is looking really shoddy with empty storefronts. I am hoping this the black hole before it regentrifies with new building apartments and mostly people. Drove around up there for the first time in about 3 years its looking pretty bleak.

Alpha Road from Preston to Noel is a tough area. Section 8 apartments have impacted the retail environment badly. Lots of low end fast food, gas & go, check cashing, and all the other suspects litter the area, along with empty store fronts. If Midtown is ever going to take hold, the area will need to be leveled and redone.

Target just renovated its store on Montfort. The Galleria is stable and the stores along Dallas Parkway remain in good shape, except for a few like Pier One, which are out of business. The AC Hotel appears to be doing well. New luxury apartments are being built along LBJ and Noel, so the area still has life. The immediate area around what formerly was known as Valley View Mall is a disaster zone. Plus, the decaying apartments North & West of Valley View will need to be leveled because the crime is rampant there. This will have to be addressed if the Midtown development is ever to gain traction.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 04 Aug 2022 16:37

Just for posterity's sake lol
midtown2.JPG

midtown.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 04 Aug 2022 17:55

OMG. This is so tacky.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 05 Aug 2022 00:15

If the sign bothers you, you should see the site. The abandoned movie theater still sits atop the abandon mall court and the parking lot is a pile of rubble. This whole development is a disaster zone. Can't Dallas do better than this?

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 05 Aug 2022 06:27

I'm in Tampa.....Thank God I can't see it, lol!
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Aug 2022 10:13

Luxury apartments planned near Galleria in North Dallas

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 2#cxrecs_s

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 08 Aug 2022 08:10

Valley View mall site owner hopes to sell North Dallas land

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... llas-land/

In 2019, Seritage and Dallas developer KDC held a commencement ceremony to kick off construction on the project, which was to have up to 2 million square feet of office, retail and residential construction.

But the development never got off the ground.

Seritage now is hoping to sell the almost 17-acre property, which once was the site of the mall’s Sears department store.

KDC is no longer involved in the deal.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Aug 2022 08:56

Who didn't see this coming? This is most likely for the best.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 08 Aug 2022 09:44

This is the piece at the NW corner of LBJ and Preston(?)--the gateway to the potential development. If this becomes another donut apartment building (and why wouldn't it based on everything west of here), there is no hope for the salvation of the property.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 08 Aug 2022 13:37

This is a disaster for Dallas. The whole thing has been mishandled from the beginning. I don't know what will eventually happen to this site, but I expect it to remain as is for the foreseeable future.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Aug 2022 14:07

Without really saying too much, I have a friend that works in commercial real estate and has worked / works with some very large companies. He and his team have pitched this site on a number of occasions to their clients, and the response was it's not a very desirable location for them. One of their clients opted for a new build in Plano and another ended up leasing space in Las Colinas.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 08 Aug 2022 14:34

At this point I'd be fine with just a series of mid and small tower apartment for the whole area just to bring people and restaurants and stores back to that area of Dallas. City leaders need to do whatever it takes to get something done here or risk loosing the entire part of that area of Dallas over time.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Aug 2022 14:42

I don't get why they just don't build a bunch of condos/small lot houses/apartments there either. Dallas already has too many random office corridors. There is already a mall there and a few employment corridors.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 08 Aug 2022 15:02

Amen!
Daniel Burnham, 1909

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 08 Aug 2022 16:12

The_Overdog wrote:I don't get why they just don't build a bunch of condos/small lot houses/apartments there either. Dallas already has too many random office corridors. There is already a mall there and a few employment corridors.

Line it like Amsterdam. Row upon row. Good to go. Next project? Oh, and no peoplemover/fake monorail. No offices unless they are a random very small tidbit of the whole equation in nooks and corners along with internal small needful-things retail for the new locals (not regional peeps). This project has practically been a hilarious impossibility from the start. Just make some straight street lines and give it zero rules for parking. Make that the hard part. Incremental building will ensue. But, whatev. That won't happen either. Also, I haven't been to that part of the city since the early '90s anyway. (Granted, I was also away for 20 years haha.) Make it localised, not a regional destination. Trying too damn hard.

sterling

Postby sterling » 08 Aug 2022 19:35

What's amazing is the number of times Dallas can reinvent the wheel until they get it right. That usually means building a bunch of "stick built" apartments, and tearing them down 10 years later for something taller. So I give this project 20 more years and 3 more owners before someone builds something decent.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Aug 2022 09:08

Isn't there a PID attached to this project?

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 18 Nov 2022 17:51

"It Appears Unbelievably Easy to Break Into the Dead Valley View Mall;
The city attorney’s office is threatening litigation if Valley View is not demolished “in the next couple weeks.”
" - D Magazine
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2022/11/it-appears-unbelievably-easy-to-break-into-the-dead-valley-view-mall/

Guess we'll see. lol.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Nov 2022 20:17

What this conglomerated property presented as part of the Amazon 2 HQ bid?

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 19 Nov 2022 00:06

Truly, one of the biggest boondoggles in Dallas history. I remember when the now Fairmont Hotel twin towers sat unbuilt on the Dallas skyline for about 3+ years and was an eyesore for the city. Now the Valley View site is just piles of debris and the guts of the old mall still standing like a great spot for the zombie apocalypse to start. It's just one sad joke that appears to have no end in sight.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 19 Nov 2022 08:44

Just watched the YouTube video......WOW. There is enough blame to go around on this fiasco but how is it that the City has not just seized this property long ago and torn this down ? Is someone paying taxes on the land ? This looks like something you would encounter in Detroit not in Dallas.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Nov 2022 01:25

It’s crazy that Red Bird is much further ahead in its redevelopment. This was suppose to help support that. It’s highly disappointing the way things have went, it’s an embarrassment. Especially, to see it right a long a major roadway like 635! It makes that area look even more tired and run down! That’s not a good look at all for our city.

Addison

Postby Addison » 20 Nov 2022 02:04

Unfortunately, as long as Scott Beck continues to pay taxes on the land (and there's no indication he isn't), there's not much the city can do to seize the land.

Just as well, it seems Scott Beck has no desire to sell the land to a serious developer and just wants to sit on it instead (pretty typical of Dallas' shitty developers). There's no chance his whole "Midtown" schtick will ever come to fruition as long as he leads the project.

The most city hall can do is make Beck's life hell by hitting him with a bunch of punitives fines and tying him up in costly litigation (which seems to be the route they're going), to the point that he's forced to walk away.

If nothing else, I would be a happy camper if H-E-B just bought the 17-acres Seritage is selling and built a store to serve the area. For the entire mall property, a Power Center (ala Prestonwood Town Center or The Centre at Preston Ridge) with new-to-market big box stores & restaurants (Total Wine & More, Academy Sports, Conn's Home Plus, Dave & Busters, Marshall's, etc.) would be even better.
Last edited by Addison on 20 Nov 2022 02:41, edited 3 times in total.

Addison

Postby Addison » 20 Nov 2022 02:16

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Can we just lease some of the lands to HEB and call it a day. Give at least North Dallas an HEB. The side facing the freeway can include the store with urban elements infilled behind. If HEB will be up for it, make the store the lower levels with housing/office stacked on top. You can still have a parking lot facing the freeway with extra parking built into shared garages for residential or office use.

See my post above about Seritage's 17-acres facing Preston & I-635 being for sale. Would be perfect for H-E-B, IMO. That said, they don't seem to have any interest for expansion in the northern part of Dallas (County) any time soon

In addition to the comments about Redbird mall redevelopment, I can't help but feel a certain type of way about Redbird also getting an H-E-B before North Dallas (despite the latter having much more favorable demographics).

And I get it, the whole food desert thing in South Dallas (whereas the north side of the city does have options). But the Krogers and Tom Thumbs in North and especially Far North Dallas are all woefully outdated and poorly ran (and I won't even discuss Walmart). We're pretty desperate for a modern, well-run grocery store too.

Addison

Postby Addison » 22 Nov 2022 19:43

Mmm hmmm... :roll:

Apartment builder plans early ‘23 start on Valley View mall site in North Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... th-dallas/

Apartment builder Toll Brothers has targeted an early 2023 construction start for a new rental community to be built on part of North Dallas’ Valley View mall site.

The Pennsylvania-based builder back in 2019 first disclosed it planned to construct an apartment community at 13331 Preston Road, just north of LBJ Freeway on part of the old mall property.

The rental project is one of about a half dozen apartment developments Toll Brothers is working on in North Texas.

The builder intends to break ground in February on a 490-unit, five-story multifamily building on Preston Road, according to planning documents filed with the state.

The $98 million Toll Brothers Cassin apartments would open in 2025, based on information supplied to to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation

Dallas architect GFF is designing the project.

The apartments would be the first development on the Valley View site after almost a decade of planning and proposals for the former regional mall location on LBJ Freeway.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Nov 2022 13:59

https://t.co/1GTMrosii5

Per Scott Beck, Midtown is still the name, there was a dispute about who should pay for the sewer infrastructure that was recently installed (and mentioned here years ago), it took a long time to acquire the Macys land, the Sears land holder has recently filed for bankruptcy (which is a lead for his company to possibly acquire the land), and the city is requiring him to complete demolition ASAP.

The land owner for the AMC movie theatre is not mentioned, but it was also owned independently of the mall - not sure that status on that property.

Also per Beck, the installation of the larger sewer line was gating towards any multifamily construction occuring on the site. So we will see...

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 30 Nov 2022 15:49

The_Overdog wrote:https://t.co/1GTMrosii5

Per Scott Beck, Midtown is still the name, there was a dispute about who should pay for the sewer infrastructure that was recently installed (and mentioned here years ago), it took a long time to acquire the Macys land, the Sears land holder has recently filed for bankruptcy (which is a lead for his company to possibly acquire the land), and the city is requiring him to complete demolition ASAP.

The land owner for the AMC movie theatre is not mentioned, but it was also owned independently of the mall - not sure that status on that property.

Also per Beck, the installation of the larger sewer line was gating towards any multifamily construction occuring on the site. So we will see...

Doesn't Seritage own the former Sears land? I'm pretty sure they do, and I don't think Seritage has filed for bankruptcy.

What a sad mess this is. All parties look ridiculous. LOVE the city councilwoman: "It's a waste of our hopes and dreams" LOL
Why would the city declare this to be the "International District" when the extant developer continues to want to call it Midtown. The International District name is silly enough as it is, but when probably the largest landowner in the district is opposed to the name... (And by the way, Dallas proudly announced the "International District" almost 11 months ago. Has ANYTHING happened or even been proposed to further that so-called vision?)

Addison

Postby Addison » 30 Nov 2022 16:06

Tucy wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:https://t.co/1GTMrosii5

Doesn't Seritage own the former Sears land? I'm pretty sure they do, and I don't think Seritage has filed for bankruptcy.

What a sad mess this is. All parties look ridiculous. LOVE the city councilwoman: "It's a waste of our hopes and dreams" LOL
Why would the city declare this to be the "International District" when the extant developer continues to want to call it Midtown. The International District name is silly enough as it is, but when probably the largest landowner in the district is opposed to the name... (And by the way, Dallas proudly announced the "International District" almost 11 months ago. Has ANYTHING happened or even been proposed to further that so-called vision?)

Seritage *IS* looking to sell their land, but it's not because they're bankrupt. It's because (as you said) this whole project has been a sad mess.

Of course, you have to consider the source who made that statement hasn't proven themselves to be very credible (Beck).

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Nov 2022 16:32

I'm not saying Beck is particularly credible, but Sears did just come out of bankruptcy per https://therealdeal.com/2022/11/08/sears-crawls-out-of-bankruptcy-in-tatters/ and per that article, Seritage is looking to sell it's assets individually due to the bankruptcy, because it got 0 offers on an attempt to sell the entire portfolio.