Henderson Avenue Corridor

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Apr 2022 20:42

R1070 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Look and Feel may change some... Let's hope it's for the better..

I'm getting "CVS" or "QT" vibes from that. lol

Watch them just add suburban strip malls LMAO

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Apr 2022 06:22

malachi896 wrote:I know eburress has been eagerly waiting in the area as well. We'll all have to get a Henderson corridor drink to celebrate once it breaks ground.

Seriously! I may have a few drinks when that happens, in fact. :lol:

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Apr 2022 06:33

The real potential is in the old Sears shipping center... I think there's a fiesta grocery store there now.... It's okay if Henderson doesn't become completely lined with 10story buildings -- as long as the street ends in a maximum density development at the confluence of Ross & Henderson & Greenville.

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Apr 2022 08:23

Most of that shopping center could easily go (I'd keep the older portions in the rear) and be replaced with something much more useful and dense and that might even offer some entertainment options that aren't bars. An Alamo Drafthouse or Cinepolis, a fun bowling alley, and that sort of thing would be great for the area.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 04 May 2022 00:47

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... m-newmark/

Article says the sale doesn’t impact the plans on Henderson, but hopefully getting it out of the way gives Masinter and team More time to focus on getting dirt moving

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Aug 2022 10:24

Open Realty development update (maybe): workers were out drilling holes in the ground on the future development site this morning. I wonder if this is getting into gear, gathering soil samples or something, or if this was some unrelated work. Hmmmmm

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 30 Aug 2022 22:45

Hope you are right! I saw them as well as I was driving by on my home. Doubt the buyers would have paid that much with the intent to sit on the property, so I expect they will be doing at least some work in prep to get it started. Hopefully nothing during that process throws a wrench in the plans.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 31 Aug 2022 08:37

I hope this moves forward

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Aug 2022 10:53

There were a lot more workers/vehicles on the site this morning as well as more drilling holes in the ground.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 Jan 2023 14:53

Hey, kids. What time is it? Time for the annual DMN story about the new development coming soon to Henderson!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/01/24/new-retail-construction-in-the-works-for-east-dallas-henderson-avenue/

This story says the new owners, Acadia Realty Trust, plan to break ground on two buildings ($3.4MM) this summer. Here’s hoping. Based on the explosion of residential construction in the area the past few years, seems like….maybe???

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 24 Jan 2023 15:13

LongonBigD wrote:Hey, kids. What time is it? Time for the annual DMN story about the new development coming soon to Henderson!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/01/24/new-retail-construction-in-the-works-for-east-dallas-henderson-avenue/

This story says the new owners, Acadia Realty Trust, plan to break ground on two buildings ($3.4MM) this summer. Here’s hoping. Based on the explosion of residential construction in the area the past few years, seems like….maybe???

I'm so tired, lol

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 24 Jan 2023 15:35

Lol i'm tired as well after waiting all of these years. Unlikely that Acadia would have bought all of the land without some intention to develop the open lots, but I'll believe it when I see it at this point

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2023 15:47

"Acadia Realty Trust plans to start construction this summer on more than 12,000 square feet of retail buildings along Henderson, according to planning documents filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The single-story buildings will cost more than $3.4 million and were designed by Dallas architect GFF, the filing shows."

I assume these will be the standalone structures at the north end of the proposed development. Obviously one of them won't be multi-story like in the rendering, but it sounds like otherwise this part of the project should appear somewhat similar to what was originally proposed.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 24 Jan 2023 15:56

Did you all catch the allusion to a "refresh" of the existing properties they own? That's pretty exciting IF true. I hate the layout of that Gemma/Veritas/Muse strip mall. Treeless expanse of empty parking lot. It's always looked cheap.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2023 16:23

“And this is even before we have executed on the expansion and rejuvenation of our assets on that street...”

I assumed this was more in the realm of new coats of paint, but we'll see!

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 24 Jan 2023 18:05

Very excited for development here, since this is my neighborhood, but the "rejuvination" of the strip center has pushed out my favorite wine bar, Veritas. Apparently they just bought it and immediately doubled the rent. Not cool.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 24 Jan 2023 19:14

JDumont146 wrote:Very excited for development here, since this is my neighborhood, but the "rejuvination" of the strip center has pushed out my favorite wine bar, Veritas. Apparently they just bought it and immediately doubled the rent. Not cool.

Gentrification is truly a double-edged sword. I only moved here 5 years ago (I'm part of the problem), so the other day I walked around the area using Google Streetview from 2007. Staggering to see the amount of change in so short a time.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2023 21:05

JDumont146 wrote:Very excited for development here, since this is my neighborhood, but the "rejuvination" of the strip center has pushed out my favorite wine bar, Veritas. Apparently they just bought it and immediately doubled the rent. Not cool.

Well that sucks. Do you happen to know if they're planning to relocate or are they closing for good?

dzh

Postby dzh » 24 Jan 2023 22:42

I think they're kicking out all the retail in that building. I know Henderson Taphouse is closing too.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Jan 2023 23:17

dzh wrote:I think they're kicking out all the retail in that building. I know Henderson Taphouse is closing too.

Losing Gemma will be a big loss. Sad.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Jan 2023 23:37

dzh wrote:I think they're kicking out all the retail in that building. I know Henderson Taphouse is closing too.

Really? WTH? Em, you may be right about bigger changes coming to this shopping center. Other than a significant redo/teardown, I can't imagine why else they would get rid of all their tenants.

dzh

Postby dzh » 25 Jan 2023 06:58

I don't really know what to expect from Acadia Realty. Going through their website, they definitely own a lot of A1 properties throughout the country (particularly Soho Manhattan and Mag Mile Chicago), but it appears they obtained them all through acquisitions. Otherwise they own mostly suburban style strip centers.

Even doing a Google search with their name and "development" didn't bring up anything (only did about three minutes of searching however). I hope they do some quality development here, but we may be looking at a firm that doesn't know how to do it/attempts a suburban style development over here.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jan 2023 08:49

eburress wrote:

Nooooo! I don't want them kicked out! Just fix the sidewalks :|

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jan 2023 08:53

A rebuild pulling the retail to the sidewalk would be nice!

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Jan 2023 09:52

Agreed! I'd be fine with losing these spots if it meant this shopping center was razed and something much more urban and/or mixed use was built in its place.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 25 Jan 2023 12:12

R1070 wrote:A rebuild pulling the retail to the sidewalk would be nice!

Agreed. I'm having trouble putting my finger on where this is going.

Is the strip center with Henderson Tap House getting razed for this? Or is this going right next to that strip center in between Henderson Tap House and 77 degrees? Or is it going on the other side of the street?

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Jan 2023 12:52

If you're referring to the "more than 12,000 square feet of retail buildings along Henderson," these will be built at the corner of Glencoe and Henderson, in the empty field across the street from the Henderson Tap House/Veritas Wine Room shopping center.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 25 Jan 2023 15:10

If their plan is to be conservative and move along slowly, which seems likely given the plan to slow play the build out by only starting at 12,000 sq ft on that corner, it doesn't make sense to kick out all of your existing tenants in the building across the street to raze and rebuild. You're basically giving up revenue and incurring a ton of extra cost while the rest of the lots are still empty. I think its more likely that they just upped the rent a lot, leading to the closure of Veritas (which I can first hand attest to) and Henderson Tap House (no personal knowledge here, just pulling from above). My guess is that part of the strip will see light cosmetic changes with the intent to obtain more rent from it and if that leads to additional turnover, all good in their book

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 25 Jan 2023 15:40

eburress wrote:If you're referring to the "more than 12,000 square feet of retail buildings along Henderson," these will be built at the corner of Glencoe and Henderson, in the empty field across the street from the Henderson Tap House/Veritas Wine Room shopping center.

Thanks

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Jan 2023 16:21

malachi896 wrote:If their plan is to be conservative and move along slowly, which seems likely given the plan to slow play the build out by only starting at 12,000 sq ft on that corner, it doesn't make sense to kick out all of your existing tenants in the building across the street to raze and rebuild. You're basically giving up revenue and incurring a ton of extra cost while the rest of the lots are still empty. I think its more likely that they just upped the rent a lot, leading to the closure of Veritas (which I can first hand attest to) and Henderson Tap House (no personal knowledge here, just pulling from above). My guess is that part of the strip will see light cosmetic changes with the intent to obtain more rent from it and if that leads to additional turnover, all good in their book

I agree. It only makes sense if they're planning to tear everything down and start from scratch.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Mar 2023 17:07

eburress wrote:

Well that sucks. Do you happen to know if they're planning to relocate or are they closing for good?

Veritas Wine Room will not close

A story in Lakewood Advocate says that after Veritas did not renew their lease at a much higher rate, the new owners approached them and asked them to reconsider. They are staying.

“We have unexpectedly reached an agreement with our landlords that allows us to continue doing what we love to do — serving the Dallas wine community,” Veritas wrote in the post. “We are as surprised as you are!”

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/verita ... not-close/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Mar 2023 00:50

More info from Lakewood Advocate https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/henderson-tap-house-muse-salon/

Henderson Tap House and Muse the Salon are no longer operating on Henderson Avenue.

The bar and hair salon were both located in suites at 2323 N. Henderson Ave., one of many properties in Acadia Realty Trust’s Henderson Avenue portfolio. The New York-based firm completed the $85.4 million purchase, including 15 retail assets and development and redevelopment sites, in April 2022.

Muse is now located at 5330 E. Mockingbird Lane at The Highland building near North Central Expressway. The salon moved in February, a company employee said.

Henderson Tap House could not be immediately reached for comment. Construction work is underway inside.

Veritas Wine Room, another tenant at the 2323 N. Henderson Ave. property, announced in January that it was closing; but about two months later, in March, the wine bar said it would not close.

Other neighboring tenants that remain open include American bistro Gemma and men’s formal wear retailer The Black Tux.

Ever Body, a spa that provides facials, fillers, injections, body-countering treatments and other services, submitted a certificate of occupancy application with the City of Dallas in February for a space at 2323 N. Henderson Ave. The business is also included in an Acadia Realty Trust site plan, which shows a rendering of future development plans.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Mar 2023 01:14

This from Acadia Realty website. https://www.acadiarealty.com/images/PDFs/2323-1900-BlockAvailablePkg-March2023.pdf

Looks like the strip center at 2323 N Henderson Ave stays, just without Henderson Tap House and Muse. I’m wondering what the difference is between “At Lease” and “Available”. In the FUTURE DEVELOPMENT shot below, the orange lines imply spaces leased already. As for Henderson Tap House, I do remember a story some time ago that they were not very interested in adding to the “bar scene” vibes of Uptown and existing Henderson spots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 25 Mar 2023 02:24, edited 6 times in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Mar 2023 01:22

A new(?) rendering of Acadia Realty plan for 2000-2300 Henderson Ave (vacant land near Gemma/Veritas strip center) including two—new to me—buildings on the south side of Henderson on either side of Wonder Bar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cabrio330

Postby Cabrio330 » 28 Mar 2023 08:33

I am sure "at lease" means they have a deal for which a lease is being negotiated but not yet signed and "available" means no active deals in the works.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 28 Mar 2023 10:03

Sweet new retail on Henderson.

https://twitter.com/Advocate_ED/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

Everybody in Cochran Heights is thrilled about it.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 28 Mar 2023 10:04

also, that's me in the first reply to the Twitter post, so if any of you are on Twitter, let me know or shoot a message! I tweet about urbanism quite a bit.

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Mar 2023 12:28

Exciting! I hope this one actually happens!

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 29 Mar 2023 14:24

Construction fence is up around the portion of the building on Henderson that used to house Henderson Tap House and Sushi Axiom

Also, got the latest puff piece from DMN today.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... enderings/

Excited to actually see movement!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Mar 2023 21:33

I suppose I should be flattered by the fact that a few days after I posted renderings from Acadia Realty website on this blog, they appeared in a DMN story.

I did find a bit more that is interesting (hopefully not just to me). The building below does not seem to fit the published renderings of the new construction on the large vacant lot. This appears to be yet a different version of the renderings. This building (marked KATCHRAYS) appears to be a different version of the central/middle building coming to the vacant lots as it is the only 3 story building mentioned.
6FE0E932-85EE-4F24-BB69-C97722A60E51.jpeg

This rendering below was posted on the GFF site and looks to me like the western-most 2 story building that appeared in prior renderings as a dark brick bldg with the words “create,inc” on the top. The new 3 story building (KATCHRAYS) can be seen in this different rendering below. Not sure which renderings are the latest. For perspective, the large black sedan pictured would be parked in the Gemma’s lot across Henderson Ave.
C67130DF-34E5-4C1B-9BE4-3C14C5BB53B8.jpeg

I know these are just renderings and will probably change when built, but it’s interesting to me. This last pic looks more modern and light while still being eclectic enough to have a Henderson Ave vibe. Loving the art wall depicted behind the new builds in this and the larger rendering!
Last edited by LongonBigD on 29 Mar 2023 22:59, edited 4 times in total.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Mar 2023 21:58

I honestly hope the strip w/ Gemma, Henderson Taphouse at some points gets razed. The parking lot in the front kills the pedestrian vibe. It's like one side is Greenville Ave while the other Is Northwest Hwy.

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Mar 2023 08:08

I completely agree. It seems we're at 10-20 years from that happening, but it'd sure be great! :)

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 17 Apr 2023 13:06

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/big-d ... s/3237102/

Another article largely echoing similar articles from the last few weeks. Also indicates that Councilman Moreno also confirmed that construction will start soon on the lots that they pulled permits on.

eburress

Postby eburress » 17 Apr 2023 14:00

There's caution tape around the former Beauty Bar today and some of the building's exterior elements have been removed. It looks like they're preparing to demo the rest of the structure soon.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Apr 2023 14:22

eburress wrote:"Acadia Realty Trust plans to start construction this summer on more than 12,000 square feet of retail buildings along Henderson, according to planning documents filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The single-story buildings will cost more than $3.4 million and were designed by Dallas architect GFF, the filing shows."

I assume these will be the standalone structures at the north end of the proposed development. Obviously one of them won't be multi-story like in the rendering, but it sounds like otherwise this part of the project should appear somewhat similar to what was originally proposed.

According to what was previously posted, the construction which should start soon are these north/western most small structures to be built at Glencoe/Henderson. I am hopeful the rest can start soon after. Caution tape around Beauty Bar would be the next logical step toward preparing for the 2 and 3-story buildings and underground parking structure. Any sign that the old Warby Parker and the building next to it are being prepped to come down?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 17 Apr 2023 15:27

Yes. They've been hauling stuff out of that weird Warby Parker building and the one next to it all week--kind of stripping it for parts. Those buildings aren't long for the world.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 17 Apr 2023 18:59

eburress wrote:There's caution tape around the former Beauty Bar today and some of the building's exterior elements have been removed. It looks like they're preparing to demo the rest of the structure soon.

Big dumpster behind it that is sealed and has an asbestos warning wrapped around it. Once they finish remediating, I’d assume all three of the old buildings on that side will come down

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 Apr 2023 05:31

Makes sense. After all this wait, how great would it be if construction began on the whole project right after these structures come down? Fingers crossed!

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 02 Aug 2023 21:39

Old Beauty Bar, Warby Parker and Chubbies buildings knocked down this week. This development is inching along…..

LPG

Postby LPG » 03 Aug 2023 04:51

Inching is the word…

TABS filings:

Building AB | Start Date 10-31-25 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023023444

Building C | Start Date 10-31-25 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023023448

Building D | Start Date 03-01-24 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023024267

Building EF | Start Date 03-01-24 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023024262

Building G | Start Date | 03–01-24 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023024265

Building H | Start Date 10-31-2025 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023023398

Building I | I don’t see a filing.

Building J | Start Date 10-31-25 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023022515

Building K | Start Date 03-06-25 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023010021

Building L | Start Date 07-31-23 | https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023010025

Not to preempt Tucy here, but I cannot locate any building permits.

TABS filing for Local Public Eatery, which will take the old Sushi Axiom spot. The facade renovation is well under way, but interior finish out starting within a month seems optimistic.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023015903