Henderson Avenue Corridor

eburress

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby eburress » 19 Apr 2021 08:11

Maybe so, but they already received their approvals so once their "redesign" was complete, they could/should have been in the clear. Plus, as NIMBYish and the Cochran Heights clowns are, so many of the people in the immediate area are proponents of the new development; many of us choosing to move here *because* of it, so one would assume the tide of sentiment would be shifting in their favor. Long story short, it feels to me like something else is afoot.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 19 Apr 2021 09:34

Unfortunately, Cochran Heights doesn't wield much political clout because we're a super small neighborhood with low civic participation, because we have a lot of SMU renters (although I'm trying to change this). To my knowledge, there were a few extra loud voices in CH opposing this development, but the real pushback came from Vickery Place...you wanna talk about NIMBYs, talk to Vickery Place. Single-family residential as far as the eye can see. Vickery Place contains something like 3x the number of households than Cochran Heights, and what they say, tends to go.

I've also been told repeatedly that the failure of this development is due to financing, but I have no proof of that.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Apr 2021 11:37

Tragic. What a great concept it is.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Apr 2021 07:23

emmasensei wrote:Unfortunately, Cochran Heights doesn't wield much political clout because we're a super small neighborhood with low civic participation, because we have a lot of SMU renters (although I'm trying to change this). To my knowledge, there were a few extra loud voices in CH opposing this development, but the real pushback came from Vickery Place...you wanna talk about NIMBYs, talk to Vickery Place. Single-family residential as far as the eye can see. Vickery Place contains something like 3x the number of households than Cochran Heights, and what they say, tends to go.

I've also been told repeatedly that the failure of this development is due to financing, but I have no proof of that.

lol unfortunately I've met WAY too many NIMBYs from both 'hoods.

In all seriousness, I agree that at this point it doesn't seem like neighborhood opposition is the issue. If it is financing, which certainly seems plausible, then hopefully that frees up as things continue to reopen.

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Apr 2021 13:47

As others have surely seen, Warby Parker is moving into the newly renovated space next to Tecovas. This probably doesn't mean much for the big Henderson Ave development, but who knows? Maybe they need the existing tenants out before they can start work...

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 10 May 2021 13:34

Found out from looking on shopcompanies.com that Jake's on Henderson has apparently sold, and thank God, because I loathe that tacky suburban-style building (it's always looked like an Applebee's...) and it being abandoned is a real blight.

All the website says is that it's leased and a new "restaurant/bar" is coming. I'd be curious if anybody has more info.

Also, the former Emerald's to Coconuts space is finished and up for lease. Big upgrade to that particular lot for sure.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 May 2021 14:20

They did a great job on the former Emeralds to Coconuts structure's reconstruction. I'm excited to see what it'll become and thank goodness something new will be coming to the former Jake's space.

Dallas Gypsy

Postby Dallas Gypsy » 10 May 2021 17:39

Would love to see a streetcar line on this corridor. But I don't think there's enough room since it's so narrow.

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 10 May 2021 18:23

Dallas Gypsy wrote:Would love to see a streetcar line on this corridor. But I don't think there's enough room since it's so narrow.

First justify that a streetcar is viable ridership wise by putting a high frequency bus along the route. Make the bus visually identical to a street car. Increase transparency into the bus. People will be more likely to ride if they can see inside.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 10 May 2021 21:15

Exactly right. In San Antonio they have small buses that look like trolleys. They operate completely separately from the municipal bus system and link all the hotels in and around Downtown with the Riverwalk and other tourist destinations. I remember them being cheap too.

eburress

Postby eburress » 11 May 2021 06:42

It's all irrelevant since there's no room for a streetcar. A streetcar up and down Ross on the other hand would be pretty cool...

Back to the topic at hand though, any word on the Open Realty development?? :)

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 15 Jun 2021 14:00

If anybody still had doubts about Henderson Avenue becoming a fully-gentrified little playground for the upwardly mobile: a small real estate office flipped over and will now be a medspa (Botox, fillers, facials, that kind of thing). It opens next month.

There are also rumors of an upscale teashop and more experiential retail coming. But the medspa is definite.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Jun 2021 15:13

I can’t help but think that the stretch of Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan is finally going to move forward. Warby Parker moved down the street and today I saw trees coming down in the open spaces on the north side. Here’s hoping!

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 15 Jun 2021 16:26

LongonBigD wrote:I can’t help but think that the stretch of Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan is finally going to move forward. Warby Parker moved down the street and today I saw trees coming down in the open spaces on the north side. Here’s hoping!

I've been hoping that project would break ground for years. I hope in the coming weeks or so we can get some good news. Fingers crossed

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 06 Oct 2021 11:30

Warrior2020 wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:I can’t help but think that the stretch of Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan is finally going to move forward. Warby Parker moved down the street and today I saw trees coming down in the open spaces on the north side. Here’s hoping!

I've been hoping that project would break ground for years. I hope in the coming weeks or so we can get some good news. Fingers crossed

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... for-grabs/

DMN headline: EAST DALLAS' POPULAR HENDERSON AVENUE ENTERTAINMENT STRIP IS UP FOR GRABS

So after almost 10 years of trying to move this forward, CIM Group and its partner, Dallas' Open Realty Advisors are throwing in the towel like the Andres brothers did before them.

The holdings on Henderson Ave which include 124K sq ft of retail space (80% leased) and more than 4 acres of undeveloped blocks are included in the sale. At least the current owners get credit for obtaining approval in 2018 from Dallas city council to allow more than 160K sq ft of additional construction. The wait begins again to see meaningful change to this very high potential area of Dallas.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 06 Oct 2021 12:15, edited 2 times in total.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 06 Oct 2021 11:43

What developer would want to buy into this NIMBY anti urban nightmare that is East Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 06 Oct 2021 14:48

lol good question. The East Dallas NIMBY morons can't see the forest for the trees. I particularly enjoy how they harassed that spiffy new Mexican place at Greenville and Belmont until it finally closed a few years ago and now they're stuck living next door to a liquor store. How do your property values look now, NIMBYs? hahahahahahahahaha

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 06 Oct 2021 16:43

eburress wrote:How do your property values look now, NIMBYs? hahahahahahahahaha

I don't think they're too upset...

https://mensbook.com/6-most-expensive-n ... -in-dallas
https://www.neighborhoods.com/blog/the- ... -in-dallas
https://moneyinc.com/richest-neighborhoods-dallas/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 08:39

It will be fine the next buyer will just build a QT gas station, a CVS pharmacy with a brick façade so that it looks more urban and a drive thru Starbucks...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

soco

Postby soco » 07 Oct 2021 09:16

I wonder what this will mean for the section of Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan that was not included in the recent complete street project. That section was purposely left out of the City's project because the developer had their own street treatments they wanted to install along that to-be-constructed property. The reconstruction of that section of Henderson was tied to the property's development.

LPG

Postby LPG » 07 Oct 2021 09:55

soco wrote:I wonder what this will mean for the section of Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan that was not included in the recent complete street project. That section was purposely left out of the City's project because the developer had their own street treatments they wanted to install along that to-be-constructed property. The reconstruction of that section of Henderson was tied to the property's development.

Very much a ‘pie in the sky’ idea, but wouldn’t mind the city purchasing a portion of the land for a park. It would probably make more sense as some type of public-private partnership, akin to KWP or Parks for Downtown Dallas, Dallas Parks and Rec isn’t necessarily equipped to run a programmed park quite like KWP. Couple that with improvements in Garret Park and Monarch Park, some semi-pedestrian oriented infrastructure improvements, and some private, smaller development - seems like a win for the existing neighborhood and future Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 10:34

Would the neighborhood even accept that? I lot of people hate that Klyde Warren is so busy so any new parks these days get the problem where residents who live closer get worried about parking, traffic and noise from a well used park. In a urban center like the CBD its easier but in the middle of a neighborhood with plenty of single family homes I could see a rejection of anything beyond just a blank green lawn with restrictions that wouldn't allow events.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Oct 2021 12:13

Park on one side, apartments on the other.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 07 Oct 2021 15:15

I'm unofficially in charge of developing Cochran Park on behalf of my neighborhood group (I sit on the board as well). I can tell you that the vocal members of my group would LOVE this area, or part of it, to be a structured park. We are desperate for more functional greenspace, including event space and a fenced public dog park. The dismissive and pessimistic tone in the last 5 posts or so in this thread really, really doesn't line up with what I've observed in two years of neighborhood activism. I can't speak for Vickery Place, but Cochran has become more progressive, more pro-pedestrian, and more pro-urban than y'all assume.

The old folks who hate the idea of anything but SFHs with two 10-passenger SUVs in the driveway? They've already cashed in and moved out.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 16:03

Good to hear and my comment about a structured park was not aimed at directly your neighborhood just that every time someone suggests a Klyde Warren Park style park these days people fail to realize the traffic something like that can generate if its done as well as Klyde Warren. Some people really are afraid of too much success when a good park is created. We saw it when Preston Center and the city proposed a KWP to replace the garage. Some of the public comments were literally complaining about attracting too many people who were seen as outsiders. People drive from all over DFW to visit KWP. Course my argument is if we had more parks like KWP then the popularity is likely to be distributed across many parks. Then you just have to ask yourself can we financially support lots of a heavily programmed parks or do we just built a lawn, dog park and a playground like we have done in the past and call it a day.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 07 Oct 2021 17:09

I think this space couldn't possibly transform into something on Klyde Warren's scale. It's simply not that big, and rather narrow.

My neighborhood has been begging me to fence off a small portion of Cochran Park for a dog park (can't do it, too small) or add infrastructure for Solar Prep kids to play baseball or soccer (can't do it, too small) or expand and enhance the playground (can't do it, too small and too expensive).

That tells me that my neighbors want parks, and they want them to service the very active and densifying community right here. In my ideal world, Cochran Park would be very kids-and-sports friendly, and we'd have another park where the dogs can run free of child interference. Two parks, two different personalities. There's SO LITTLE public green space in this part of town, and our population is increasing so rapidly. We need more of it.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Oct 2021 00:36

What happened to the Open Realty project for Henderson.. it died a slow and painful death .

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Oct 2021 12:43

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What happened to the Open Realty project for Henderson.. it died a slow and painful death .

Probably so but my rose-colored interpretation of the DMN article was that Massinter's desire to maintain a partial ownership position was in the interest of spreading the financial burden which could help get dirt moving faster than if he was still trying to do this solo.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 08 Oct 2021 13:22

eburress wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:What happened to the Open Realty project for Henderson.. it died a slow and painful death .

Probably so but my rose-colored interpretation of the DMN article was that Massinter's desire to maintain a partial ownership position was in the interest of spreading the financial burden which could help get dirt moving faster than if he was still trying to do this solo.

I will continue with the rose-colored interpretation as well, out of sheer hope. Like a lot of us that live right around the corner, I am not ready to accept that this has died.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 08 Oct 2021 13:38

On that note, anybody know what's going on at the former Capitol Pub?

Please let it not be another...pub.

Or if it must be a drinking establishment, not another dive-y, rowdy bar.

Also I'm morbidly delighted to see that the unbearably stupid building which houses 77 Degrees and that Irish pub, Jack and Ginger's, is crashing and burning. What a stupid idea and good riddance.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Oct 2021 16:46

I saw so many people I know that went to 77 degrees when it was in its prime but since everything has basically reopened post shutdown I have not seen a single person check in there on social media. I almost forgot it existed until I drove down Henderson the other day.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 08 Oct 2021 17:53

The detail that always sticks in my mind about 77 Degrees is that the staircases were, apparently, extremely narrow and made of some kind of meshed metal that caused women's heels to get stuck in them, which caused human traffic jams. Plus the odd decorative bars that started falling off immediately and were replaced entirely just a few months after construction finished. The entire building is a shop of horrors.

Also, 2.5 stars on Yelp. lol

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Oct 2021 13:04

Nothing made sense about that 77 Degrees project and I'm glad it's gone. Hopefully the whole thing gets torn down and replaced with a better, more logical use.

I haven't heard what's replacing Capital Pub but the remodel seems pretty extensive which could mean something other than just another pub.

In other Henderson Ave news...

"Dallas restaurateurs Austin Rodgers and Garrett Mayer plan to open Mayer’s Garden on Henderson Avenue, in place of a shuttered Jake’s Burgers. The history of the beer garden appealed to them, and the name is a happy coincidence: Garrett Mayer is not related to Simon Mayer, the brewer who started this popular “pleasure resort” more than a century ago.

The original Mayer's Garden on Elm Street:

The new Mayer’s Garden is expected to open in September 2021."

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... rs-garden/

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 23 Apr 2022 00:44

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

Looks like this tract has finally changed hands. New owners seem promising. Hoping for some movement soon

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Apr 2022 00:58

malachi896 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/04/22/new-york-investor-bets-on-dallas-popular-henderson-avenue-retail-district/

Looks like this tract has finally changed hands. New owners seem promising. Hoping for some movement soon

While ownership is new. I don't know of the neighborhood NIMBY sentiment has changed. The Henderson project really seemed great; the obstacles and the pandemic really made it impossible. I hope the new ownership group has a similar vision.

willyk

Postby willyk » 23 Apr 2022 02:07

Whatever the zoning allows is what this neighborhood deserves…gas stations, fast food and bank drive throughs.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 23 Apr 2022 08:50

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
malachi896 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/04/22/new-york-investor-bets-on-dallas-popular-henderson-avenue-retail-district/

While ownership is new. I don't know of the neighborhood NIMBY sentiment has changed. The Henderson project really seemed great; the obstacles and the pandemic really made it impossible. I hope the new ownership group has a similar vision.

I'm on the board of a neighborhood association bordering Henderson and there hasn't been any NIMBY behavior lately (no real discussion of it at all, frankly). Can't speak for the rest of the M Streets, but there's been enormous turnover in my neighborhood and many of the old folks most resistant to change have moved to the exurbs. My neighbors who have moved in are largely younger, relocating from other states, and probably completely unaware of the history of this site. I think it'll get built.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Apr 2022 10:23

emmasensei wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

I'm on the board of a neighborhood association bordering Henderson and there hasn't been any NIMBY behavior lately (no real discussion of it at all, frankly). Can't speak for the rest of the M Streets, but there's been enormous turnover in my neighborhood and many of the old folks most resistant to change have moved to the exurbs. My neighbors who have moved in are largely younger, relocating from other states, and probably completely unaware of the history of this site. I think it'll get built.

That's somewhat optimistic.. however, not really reassuring. It's probably died down since the project stalled. We can only hope that the new project plan is still great.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 24 Apr 2022 22:26

Doesn't all of that not matter anymore since the original plan was approved by the city back in 2018 when all of the NIMBYISM happened?

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Apr 2022 22:41

As long as any new development is consistent with what was already approved, theoretically it should be smooth sailing. Still, you never know what's going to set off a NIMBY.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 25 Apr 2022 12:52

OK. Time to start dreaming again of a development coupled with the Knox/Henderson DART subway stop.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Apr 2022 13:02

I hadn't seen that article but I'd say it's first sentence is more positive than anything I'd previously seen:

"The sale Friday of large stretches of East Dallas’ Henderson Avenue means that plans approved by the city in 2018 are moving ahead."

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 25 Apr 2022 13:10

Also good to see that Masinter and team are still involved and reinvesting in the project. Makes the line that the project will start soon more believable. That being said, wont get my hopes up too high until we see some dirt moving. Been waiting for this since I bought my house in the area more than 6 years ago!

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Apr 2022 13:40

malachi896 wrote:Also good to see that Masinter and team are still involved and reinvesting in the project. Makes the line that the project will start soon more believable. That being said, wont get my hopes up too high until we see some dirt moving. Been waiting for this since I bought my house in the area more than 6 years ago!

Ugh, same. We bought 4 years ago in 2018, a month after the plans were originally approved, not really knowing anything about Dallas neighborhoods. But we were so encouraged by the Henderson news that we declined purchasing an older townhome in lovely walkable State Thomas.

To be fair, there have been so many improvements in East Dallas, despite the pandemic, that I really shouldn't complain. But if this town center would just GET GOING, maybe I'd stop having real estate regret lol

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 25 Apr 2022 17:09

I know eburress has been eagerly waiting in the area as well. We'll all have to get a Henderson corridor drink to celebrate once it breaks ground.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 25 Apr 2022 18:33

We're in the same boat! Bought last year at the nexus of Greenville and Henderson. Still love the neighborhood overall, but i'm really hoping we see this development and The Central (even if it's just a portion of it) come to fruition while we live here. Those would be awesome areas to walk to some day.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Apr 2022 19:19

malachi896 wrote:I know eburress has been eagerly waiting in the area as well. We'll all have to get a Henderson corridor drink to celebrate once it breaks ground.

Cheers to that!

From the article..

"Masinter said the Henderson project — which was delayed for six years, first to obtain zoning changes and then by the pandemic — will begin moving forward “in a matter of months.”

The look and feel of the project may change some, but the basic retail, restaurant and office plans are the same. The properties are not zoned for residential, and Masinter said there are no plans to seek it."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Apr 2022 19:25

Look and Feel may change some... Let's hope it's for the better..

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Apr 2022 20:40

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Look and Feel may change some... Let's hope it's for the better..

I'm getting "CVS" or "QT" vibes from that. lol