Henderson Avenue Corridor

Tnexster

Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 12:39

Henderson Avenue project would remake popular East Dallas strip

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... llas-strip

East Dallas' popular Henderson Avenue corridor is headed for a major makeover with a new mixed-use project.

Investors and developers who almost four years ago bought up more than two dozen properties along the avenue between U.S. Highway 75 and Ross Avenue are ready to build on the largest vacant tract on the thoroughfare.

Dallas' Open Realty Advisors, which owns the Henderson real estate in partnership with Los Angeles-based CIM Group, is asking the city for zoning to construct a combination of retail, office space and a community garden and park at Glencoe Street and Henderson.

The 4.5-acre project would bring the most significant new construction to the street in decades. And most important, it would add much-needed parking with an underground garage.

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2016 15:32

This is the most exciting thing I've read in a while. So much potential for Henderson. Love the organic growth happening in that area. At some point I. expect LG , Ross & Henderson to collide into a nice cohesive urban area.

That Subway stop looking more and more like a mistake.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 15:59

That subway stop was a mistake.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 12 Dec 2016 17:05

Maybe DART will realize Cotton Belt is a huge waste of money for a Trophy project and can divert the funds to a station that will probably see more usage than that entire line.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Dec 2016 19:51

It would be nice if all of Henderson got a complete streetscape redo.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Dec 2016 21:53

Wow, more good news today! Such an exciting project...woohoo!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Apr 2017 22:18

Anyone hear anything new about this project?

willyk

Postby willyk » 07 Apr 2017 03:10

I fear that this project falls into the same category as Spire and Midtown--investors who acquire large, strategic blocks of land but who lack the skill or money to develop it, and who lack the good sense to bring in a partner who can do it.

For an example of someone who knew what they were doing look at Rohrman's acquisitions in Deep Ellum. The Henderson project has much more favorable fundamentals than Deep Ellum (location, access, neighborhood, demographics), but Deep Ellum blossomed while Henderson has moved like molasses.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Aug 2017 09:50

So... Per this Central Article the Beauty Bar is moving to Deep Ellum ; but what is particularly interesting is that they mention the Henderson redevelopment as the reason behind the relocation.

Anyone know of the validity of this project? It was speculated this was dead.

Here's the story:
http://www.centraltrack.com/exclusive-b ... arly-2018/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Aug 2017 18:19

They really need to do something with Henderson Ave. Some parts of it are just so blah.

And that huge parking lot that was built for Mellow Mushroom (that is now closed). Ugh... makes me sick.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 25 Aug 2017 19:02

willyk wrote:I fear that this project falls into the same category as Spire and Midtown--investors who acquire large, strategic blocks of land but who lack the skill or money to develop it, and who lack the good sense to bring in a partner who can do it.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Anyone know of the validity of this project? It was speculated this was dead.

The VPNA (Vickery Place Neighborhood Association) has been fighting this development tooth and toenail. They do not want it to happen and have been trying to prevent it from happening.

A gentleman who works for the developer recently moved into a home diagonally across the street from me and was telling me they are wending their way through City Council, planning hearings, etc. and having to battle the VPNA every step of the way.

Neighborhood groups sometimes seem to just not get it ... without good urban development such as what this project represents the City will die!

Growth is a good thing, not bad.

And with this particular developer footing the bill for significant costs that they would not otherwise have to do (the landscaping and green park areas), building a 2 story underground parking garage, and stating upfront no bars are to be in the development the VPNA is WAY out of line in opposing this.

If not for the resistance against the project it would have already started long ago ... I believe it will still happen as the developer is committed to seeing it through. But they are having to fight practically every step of the way to make it happen.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Aug 2017 23:24

Thanks for the response..Do you know what exactly they arguing for/against?

I would like to know more about what the neighborhood association is not in agreement with.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 28 Aug 2017 09:46

The VPNA is against it primarily because of increased traffic on Henderson and potentially nearby neighborhood streets. I would love to see this project happen, but Henderson has become a major thoroughfare for the area despite being only a two lane road. Arguments that this kind of development helps the areas walkability thereby decreasing the need for local car trips falls on deaf ears and is countered by the neighborhood association's fear it will draw lots of traffic from other areas and the large parking garage will facilitate that.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Aug 2017 19:22

Where was the opposition to "more cars" when that huge surface lot was allowed to be built for the previous Mellow Mushroom restaurant?

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 29 Aug 2017 07:27

Car trips and parking for 190k SF of restaurant and retail >>>>>>>>>>> one pizza place.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Aug 2017 19:02

These are the same neighbors who killed the K-H DART station who changed their minds now that it's too late.

I can see their point about parking, but if that is your argument, you can't also fight developers if they want to put a parking solution in place.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Aug 2017 19:15

LongonBigD wrote:These are the same neighbors who killed the K-H DART station who changed their minds now that it's too late.

I can see their point about parking, but if that is your argument, you can't also fight developers if they want to put a parking solution in place.

Very valid argument. So is it just traffic they don't want. Give me a break there's already traffic there.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 29 Aug 2017 20:53

LongonBigD wrote:These are the same neighbors who killed the K-H DART station who changed their minds now that it's too late.

I think you'll find very few people have actually changed their minds. You've just got the same small group of people still making noise about it 30 years later, while the majority who won that battle continue on with their lives.

Interestingly, history has proven those who objected to a station due to crime issues to be all too precognizant.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 30 Aug 2017 08:52

I just don't get it-- do these people know they live in a city? if they want to live in the suburbs with a quite culdesac there are plenty of them around. I bet they are not upset that all that traffic has significantly raised their home values or reduced their crime.

back in the early 2000 I think 10 people were killed in a mass murder at belmont and Henderson... now that apartment and most of the other old apartments have been torn down and replaced. In another 10 years we will probably all have self driving cars anyway.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Aug 2017 09:40

gshelton91 wrote:I just don't get it-- do these people know they live in a city? if they want to live in the suburbs with a quite culdesac there are plenty of them around.

The Dallas complex. You wanna live in Central Dallas, but you don't want to have cars and traffic on your streets (yet you still drive everywhere); while at the same time exhibiting an inherit disdain for transit because of "crime".

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 Aug 2017 09:45

I can understand the Cul de sac mentality, the desire to keep a neighborhood intact. A lot has been learned during 30 years of Lower Greenville change.

I don't get it, either, when the neighborhood association refuses the rest of the world to acknowledge that Henderson must be "ceded" in order to keep the residential ambiance alive - at a minimum. Paying close attention and guiding the renovation of Henderson between Ross and Central to allow a major build up will make the neighborhood better. Nightmare visions of debilitating traffic are true thru approval of aforementioned Mellow Mushroom parking deals.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 31 Aug 2017 01:18

Can Gaston has this developments?

willyk

Postby willyk » 31 Aug 2017 03:20

The City needs to do a better job of pushing these deals through. Dallas is not a blank slate like Frisco. Dallas needs investment to grow its tax base and the only opportunities are urban redevelopments like this. The same thing happened at Preston Center. If people want the City and DISD to spend more on services and schools, then they should let these deals go forward, even welcome them. If they don't this capital will go elsewhere.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Dec 2017 11:18

Any updates on this?...I'm rooting for this project but it seems no one is reporting anything on this so it's hard to gauge where we stand on this....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Dec 2017 12:58

Well parts of it were discussed in the city council meeting Wednesday.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Dec 2017 11:12

Finally! Some actual reporting for this story.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... over-limbo

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Dec 2017 12:58

I love the project as it's been proposed and hopefully the compromise they settle on keeps much of the spirit of this original proposal.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Feb 2018 00:12

Per the Dallas Morning News story from Dec.

"For now, the two sides are taking a breather over the holidays. But when they come back to the table early next year, Kingston said, he believes Masinter is willing to make substantive concessions. Masinter is likewise optimistic that some kind of deal can be reached.

"I've got to believe somewhere in all of this is room for compromise," Masinter said. "Otherwise, we're just wasting three months."

So....any news w this project?

I really like this one. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 22 Feb 2018 09:38

Same- Henderson has so much potential, but this wasteland of acreage & bombed out nature of the streets make Henderson seem " backwards " for a growing metropolis.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Feb 2018 11:36

The ultimate prize is Henderson/Ross/Greenville, this is where we should have the density that'll freak out the neighborhood low-risers....

Fitzhugh/Bennett does seem to provide better vehicular movement more appropriate for office space, whereas Henderson should be a pedestrian thoroughfare that allows vehicles; as such, residential space should be favored, with street level retail appealing to the corner-store household needs of the big 'historic' neighborhoods which were among the first suburbs of Dallas.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Mar 2018 12:16

Shell Shack taking over the Cuquitas/Hacienda on Henderson space.

Urbandreamer

Postby Urbandreamer » 13 Mar 2018 09:44

Not sure where to put this, so I'll leave it here for now. Anyone want to take a stab at what they're trying to accomplish with this? Seems like an awful large (diverse) area to attempt getting anything done. Unfortunately not nearly enough detail was provided - hoping someone has some insight...

Urbandreamer

Postby Urbandreamer » 13 Mar 2018 09:45

8BD9E6BE-DBAA-468A-AA6D-22C4ECE20D10.jpeg
A5F93DF5-EE31-402F-BA04-4FD798CFAA10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Mar 2018 10:20

Hopefully it’s not people trying to downzone.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Mar 2018 10:33

The map represents some already quite dense areas which don't seem to have an aversion to density, so I can't imagine downzoning is what's happening.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Mar 2018 11:11

Per the letter it seems they're trying to up-zone.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Mar 2018 11:13

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Per the letter it seems they're trying to up-zone.

:D :D :D

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Mar 2018 11:19

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Per the letter it seems they're trying to up-zone.

Hurray!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Mar 2018 11:40

eburress wrote:The map represents some already quite dense areas which don't seem to have an aversion to density, so I can't imagine downzoning is what's happening.

True, but maybe there is room for improvement. I haven't been closely following the development in this particular area, but perhaps some of the bigger projects are met with a lot of pushback when they shouldn't be?

Just a guess. There are some pretty good and dense projects in the area, but perhaps they want to be proactive and make the area more dense-development friendly for better projects in the future.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 14 Mar 2018 00:13

Urbandreamer wrote:8BD9E6BE-DBAA-468A-AA6D-22C4ECE20D10.jpegA5F93DF5-EE31-402F-BA04-4FD798CFAA10.jpeg

Explain what is going on here...

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 Mar 2018 18:59

I received my copy of this letter today (zoning case Z178-186 MD). The City wants to create a “Demolition Delay Overlay District” covering the area highlighted in the prior post (Knox, Henderson, parts of Oaklawn and OED).

If a demo permit is requested in the area, a 10 day delay period will allow the City time to review. If criteria is met, (must be 50 yrs old AND designated historic or “significant,”) an additional 45 day delay will be effective allowing time for a meeting with owner/applicant and “interested parties” to discuss alternatives to demo. Afterwards if owner still wants demo, the permit will be processed.

DallasMan

Postby DallasMan » 15 Mar 2018 10:41

It's just an expansion of the current Demolition Delay ordinance that already covers all of downtown and a few surrounding areas and goes into Oak Cliff. The city is also currently considering the expansion of the ordinance to cover additional areas of North Oak Cliff.

It's just a delay. Basically, a way to hit the "pause button" before demolitions to allow for potential conversations with developers/property owners before a historic structure is demolished. Ultimately, if the property owner still wants to go forward with the demolition, there is nothing to stop them, it just means it will take up to 55 days max.

Big picture: it avoids a Sunday afternoon demolition of a historic structure with no notice, like what happened downtown with the Headington properties. It doesn't avoid the demolitions altogether, it just allows a little time to see what agreements might be reached, including the possible relocation of historic buildings or even just the removal of important pieces from the building in question.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Apr 2018 11:22

Dallas is about to get an exciting new gourmet taco offering from Fort Worth. Taco Heads, the award-winning taco concept from chef Sarah Castillo, is opening a location on Dallas' Henderson Avenue, in the space that was once Park, the Gin Mill, and most recently a short-lived place called Lekka.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... -castillo/

I've never heard of this place, but curious to check it out. What's with all the Taco places opening recently in the trendy parts of town? It's certainly nice to see something other than a high-end steakhouse coming to Uptown, but hopefully we can get a bit more variety here.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Apr 2018 12:05

I'll be interested to see how this place turns out. That space was really great when it was Park. Hopefully the late night aspect will be a big draw.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Apr 2018 13:12

If you are obsessive about hitting the very newest bars in Dallas first, you're in luck: Smithy is a new restaurant-bar opening on Henderson Avenue for dinner service on April 10, IE tonight, from the team behind downtown Dallas bar-restaurant The Woolworth.

Within hours, you could be the first one to be seated at 2927 Henderson Ave., eating a pork sandwich before anyone else and drinking a mixologized cocktail.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... woolworth/

..another addition to Henderson. I haven't been to the area in years, but seems to be seeing a lot of action lately.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Apr 2018 14:32

DPatel304 wrote:
If you are obsessive about hitting the very newest bars in Dallas first, you're in luck: Smithy is a new restaurant-bar opening on Henderson Avenue for dinner service on April 10, IE tonight, from the team behind downtown Dallas bar-restaurant The Woolworth.

Within hours, you could be the first one to be seated at 2927 Henderson Ave., eating a pork sandwich before anyone else and drinking a mixologized cocktail.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... woolworth/

..another addition to Henderson. I haven't been to the area in years, but seems to be seeing a lot of action lately.

I feel like this end of Henderson, closest to 75, has had a bunch of turnover recently, with Hibiscus, Sissy's and Victor Tangos all closing after reasonably long runs. Hopefully this will inject some new life.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Apr 2018 14:43

This one was just approved.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 2.42.57 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 11 Apr 2018 23:10

lakewoodhobo wrote:This one was just approved.

Good! The opposition to this was just pure NIMBYism. The proposed development is a nice scale, aesthetically pleasing, and hides parking underground. Can't wait to see this interesting neighborhood get even better!

Beauty Bar's owner has said they will relocate. I hope they find a unique space. Deep Ellum would be a natural fit for them, but I wouldn't mind seeing them in Downtown, Cedars, or Oak Cliff.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Apr 2018 08:40

lakewoodhobo wrote:This one was just approved.

Woo-Hoo! Im really excited for this project. The sidewalks look fabulous!

Beauty bar should stay in Henderson. They've been a staple for a while now. But I guess construction will force them a way.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Apr 2018 08:51

Hope this one gets cranking along soon! I think it's a really nice development and will help fill in a huuuuuuuge gap on Henderson. For all the NIMBYs worried about traffic, I think that will ultimately sort itself out. You could argue that Lower Greenville is nearly identical, and it's not at a standstill even on the weekends.