Henderson Avenue Corridor

cowboyeagle05

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Feb 2020 16:46

Ugh, I know its a personal design preference but those are the city of Dallas standard fixtures for all its newer pedestrian-oriented areas. You see them Downtown of course, anywhere the city has made major sidewalk improvements. I've never been a fan of that design choice but I will admit honestly I know its hard to please everyone. I am happy to see something in these areas that isn't just the super tall grey poles. At the end of the day, they could change them out if in another few decades we wanna make a change.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Feb 2020 09:14

Indeed... Design is a personal preference. I personally think they look great, but I would be more concerned about their durability. They appear a bit frail. But, hopefully that isn't the case.
I know out here in Cypress Waters they have had some issues with weak points in the decorative street lights that have caused a few of them to bust off during storms. Of course, considering those same storms knocked down several townhome structures that were under construction, perhaps it wasn't so much a weakness in the fixtures.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Feb 2020 09:42

They look weak since they are top-heavy with almost no large base to counterbalance the dual lights on top. Course in most modern lights they are designed to be weak so that if people do run into them they are likely to just total the fixture without totaling the car. Plus it usually makes it easier for the city to just pop off a broken one and throw a replacement one up if it does get broken.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Feb 2020 18:20

emmasensei wrote:Uno Mas opens the 28th, Barcelona "sometime next week," and Enrique Tomas opened yesterday.

Also, today, these rather large decorative lightpoles are beginning to be installed. I like them. I especially like that they'll make walking down Henderson feel much safer.

I really like this choice of light fixtures because they could almost count as multiple styles depending on how the viewer looks at them or the neighborhood they're in. To some, they may look historic "old town." To some, they may look modern. To me, I see 1930s/40s art-deco, as well as 1980s/90s postmodern which was actually a huge time for development in Dallas and our skyline. They're a good choice to use as a standard fixture.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 06 Mar 2020 12:53

Another tidbit because I enjoy making fun of 77 Degrees: We recently observed workers diligently stripping off the many custom wood...um...sticks decorating the exterior and replacing them with metal, which was amusing, but then this article today in D Magazine cited that 77 Degrees isn't closed because of the weather; it's closed due to "code enforcement issues" (Noise? Pieces of the building falling off and flying into neighboring condos? Height? Lack of egress? Pick one):

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... to-uptown/

This place was such a cluster from start to finish. They took like 18 months to build the thing and still didn't make code.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Mar 2020 13:31

It’s an ugly monstrosity.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Mar 2020 20:16

Jack & Ginger's opened today and I checked it out and had dinner there. I enjoyed the spot, the food was just alright, beer selection was good and it seemed like they had an extensive whiskey list as well.

77 Degrees was also open as well, but there weren't that many people there (then again, it was about 7pm on a Thursday when I went). Now that the weather is warming up, I could see 77 Degrees becoming popular again once word gets out that it is open again.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 13 Mar 2020 13:04

DPatel304 wrote:Jack & Ginger's opened today and I checked it out and had dinner there. I enjoyed the spot, the food was just alright, beer selection was good and it seemed like they had an extensive whiskey list as well.

77 Degrees was also open as well, but there weren't that many people there (then again, it was about 7pm on a Thursday when I went). Now that the weather is warming up, I could see 77 Degrees becoming popular again once word gets out that it is open again.

I thought their Shepard's pie was good when I had it a few months ago. It will be nice to have a proper football pub in Dallas.

eburress

Postby eburress » 29 Mar 2020 09:54

Speaking of Jack & Ginger's, four men were arrested trying to rob it yesterday afternoon. There were 9 police cars...it was a whole thing. emmasensei and some of the other locals may have seen this go down or at least the aftermath.

Be careful everyone. People are starting to get desperate and the crime is only going to get worse, the longer the quarantine lasts. Other stores in the area are boarding up their windows to prevent looting and there were two separate assaults (in broad daylight) in Highland Park last week.

eburress

Postby eburress » 02 Jul 2020 10:25

Bumping this thread. Has anybody heard updates on Henderson Ave's reconstruction? There had been a good amount of utility work happening, ideally in preparation for the roadway's reconstruction, but it seems like things have stalled over the last couple weeks. Any idea where they're at on this?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 02 Jul 2020 15:50

They've been spending a lot of time on landscaping and building drainage, and there's near-daily activity on my end of Henderson--mostly ripping up the road over and over to run electricity to each of the new lightposts. I was told that the actual road pavement will be the very last thing they do.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jul 2020 08:34

That makes sense. I looked back at the plans and was bummed to see the road surface is going to be asphalt, rather than concrete.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 03 Jul 2020 22:30

eburress wrote:That makes sense. I looked back at the plans and was bummed to see the road surface is going to be asphalt, rather than concrete.

Agreed. It needs a concrete resurfacing!

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 03 Jul 2020 23:08

malachi896 wrote:
eburress wrote:That makes sense. I looked back at the plans and was bummed to see the road surface is going to be asphalt, rather than concrete.

How come?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 04 Jul 2020 10:01

I assume because it absorbs significantly less heat, thereby making the pedestrian experience more enjoyable?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jul 2020 10:28

The heat island deal, pedestrian experience deal.... is this thoroughfare and streetscape renovation coming with thick tree planting? I should know what's planned, but don't.

By this point in time, ensuring the streets and sidewalks are shaded should be a mandate in all street/sidewalk renovation or reconstruction initiatives.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Jul 2020 14:01

Heavier trucks cause ruts and bumps to occur on asphalt over time, especially at intersections. That doesn't occur with concrete.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 04 Jul 2020 14:36

Yes. There's been quite a bit of tree planting, thank goodness. I don't know if I'd call it "thick," but they're certainly a welcome addition to what was a depressingly flat and dusty landscape.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 06 Jul 2020 11:45

Warrior2015 wrote:
malachi896 wrote:

How come?

Two reasons for me. First is the heat impact as noted above. Asphalt traps more heat and is not as pedestrian friendly as concrete. Second, asphalt doesn't last as long, and as long as 18-wheelers/construction trucks (whenever the construction starts on the empty parcels - any one hear anything on those by the way) continue to drive down Henderson, it will crack and break down a lot faster. All in all, the improvements are massive and I am happy they are taking place, just was an additional wish list item since I live in the neighborhood and walk down Henderson at least 2-3 times a week currently.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 06 Jul 2020 19:13

Regarding the empty parcels, I've heard unsubstantiated neighborhood rumors that Vickery Place is still vigorously fighting the development, and consequently, the plans were only recently (as in, late 2019) finalized and approved. But also that, yes, there are still plans and intentions to develop.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Jul 2020 07:21

Sounds about right, Em. The Cochran Heights/Vickery Place NIMBYs really annoy me. Clearly they haven't received the memo that they live in the middle of a great big city. Thanks a-holes for the delay.

(but thanks for the update hahaha)

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 07 Jul 2020 09:08

That's exactly what I find myself saying on a near-daily basis when I take the dogs to the park. "You guys know this is a neighborhood smack in the middle of one of the biggest and fastest-growing cities in the country, and technically any single-family zoning this close in is inappropriate and counter-productive to the vibrancy and convenience you yourself sought when you purchased a home here, and there are about a billion square miles of desolate, dusty exurban lots you can move to if you hate people so much?"

Maybe I don't say that in quite so many words.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 07 Jul 2020 11:41

Thanks for the update and agree with you both. The NIMBYism down here is annoying. I’ve been anxiously awaiting that development and think it will be a great addition to the neighborhood. There is a reason we chose to buy in the city as opposed to the burbs. Little extra noise and traffic is a part of the trade off

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 07 Jul 2020 12:22

Someone should prank these NIMBYs, tell them that all their hard work and complaining has paid off, and the developer has scrapped their mixed use, walkable plans and will line the street with LOW density developments. Then, as the NIMBYs hiss and cheer, announce the new tenant lineup, drive thru restaurants:

-McDonald's
-Burger King
-William's Chicken
-Taco Bell
-KFC
-Church's Chicken
-7-Eleven

See how they like that. I don't know what they expect could be feasibly and profitably built here other than walkable mixed use development, or massive chain drive-thrus backed by big pocket books.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 07 Jul 2020 12:27

There is a reason the Andres brothers gave up and sold out. Now it’s somebody else’s battle to fight. It sounds like the war will be one by the developer eventually, we just don’t know when.

I hope it’s soon. Knox/Henderson (the streets) have such potential to be something seen nowhere else in Dallas.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Jul 2020 12:54

I'm getting the vapors just thinking about a CVS and a Walgreens right next to each other. What a dream!

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Jul 2020 14:00

That would be pretty spectacular!

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 07 Jul 2020 14:12

YOU'RE ALL MANIFESTING THIS INTO EXISTENCE. HAVEN'T YOU READ THE SECRET?! Don't invoke powers you don't understand!

(Obviously I'm joking. But we already have one terrible CVS in the neighborhood and NO DOUBT somebody is going to knock down the Mexican grocery store with the dank af taco bar and build a Walgreens.)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 Jul 2020 18:00

emmasensei wrote:YOU'RE ALL MANIFESTING THIS INTO EXISTENCE. HAVEN'T YOU READ THE SECRET?! Don't invoke powers you don't understand!

(Obviously I'm joking. But we already have one terrible CVS in the neighborhood and NO DOUBT somebody is going to knock down the Mexican grocery store with the dank af taco bar and build a Walgreens.)

That will only happen if the land owner wants to go in a different direction. Michoacana Meat Markets are generally considered great tenants.

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Jul 2020 09:15

emmasensei wrote:YOU'RE ALL MANIFESTING THIS INTO EXISTENCE. HAVEN'T YOU READ THE SECRET?! Don't invoke powers you don't understand!

Another neighborhood local, in response to the Vickery Park busybodies delaying the project, said "I hope it’s all bars - loud, noisy bars." hahahaha

As for me I'm going to continue to visualize into existence the glorious mixed use, walkable development we've been hoping for. :D

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Jul 2020 11:10

I mean I was hoping for some more magnificent development like a Race Trac gas station with gas pumps, walk in beer fridge and.....frozen yogurt station! Now that will make Henderson Ave the talk of the town.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 08 Jul 2020 11:40

I'll admit I haven't been down Henderson Ave in a while - since they began tearing up the moon surface they call a road. K-H was my least visited section of Dallas, but this news of delays is disheartening. I'm afraid K-H development may have peaked, and both sides of 75 have very rough seas to navigate the next couple of years.

Knox St. was heavily retail focused, while Henderson Ave was heavily bar focused. Both are prime candidates for 'least attractive industries' during and after the COVID-19 crisis. Overall, the balance of economic development was already heavily stacked in favor of Knox Street, but that side has seen retail closing after retail closing - even before COVID (see: Knox District Shops Shut Their Doors). Meanwhile, a revolving door of restaurant openings and closings has faced Henderson Ave over the past 2-3 years (e.g., Jake's Burgers, Mellow Mushroom, Capitol Pub, Sushi Axiom, Victor Tango's, etc.). Compound this with the almost entire eradication of bar revenue.

Knox Henderson must pivot, and these NIMBY groups are sadly only making matters worse.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Jul 2020 17:07

^I guarantee they are happy the bars closed and are willing to wait until nothing comes.

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Jul 2020 20:34

It definitely won't be nothing. It'd just be something way worse than what they fought against.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 04 Oct 2020 21:55

Looks like work on Henderson is moving along nicely and my car really appreciates driving down the rebuilt road to and from my place. However, has anyone else noticed that in some places, they have basically torn out the brand new curbs/bump outs and re-did everything as they tore out and replaced the street (right in front of Henderson tap house is where I noticed it last week). Just seems like a colossal waste of resources/time.

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 Oct 2020 22:25

The way they're doing the Henderson reconstruction is pretty dumb. There are spots where they've rebuilt the sidewalks as many as three times now. They should have started by rebuilding the roadway and then built the sidewalks and cosmetic stuff. Oh well, at least the project's wrapping up soon.

Ace

Postby Ace » 05 Oct 2020 10:22

eburress wrote:The way they're doing the Henderson reconstruction is pretty dumb. There are spots where they've rebuilt the sidewalks as many as three times now. They should have started by rebuilding the roadway and then built the sidewalks and cosmetic stuff. Oh well, at least the project's wrapping up soon.

I share in your frustration. Streets and sidewalks should be rebuilt at night from one end to the other five feet sections at a time. During the day, the part completed can then be covered over with metal plates and drying.

They think starting businesses is a magical thing that one can shut down and open up with a snap of a finger.

Freeway construction is even worse. By the time ten years is taken to rebuild a freeway and then another twenty years to rebuild all the freeways that cross over it, then its time to rebuild again. The molesting process amounts to a lot of brutal mounting and humping with little thought put into the process.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2020 10:51

You would have to talk to the contracting companies doing the work. The city puts things out for bid and while the city does give some sort of direction to the contractors its hard to properly implement policy that truly works. When it comes to disturbing standard operating access the problem is there is the city that does the community meetings, takes suggestions from citizens who know nothing about construction then they tell the contractor do the same job you would do in an open field in Frisco for a cheaper price oh and make sure all the existing traffic and residents can access everything the same. Also when you will undoubtedly piss off a property owner we are gonna call you and ask you to do it differently cause that owner wont stop emailing and calling us to complain. You know a easy thing to do.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 05 Oct 2020 13:43

It's happening because the Cochran Heights Neighborhood Association complained that the bumpouts were too extreme and were causing minor accidents. The good news is that while they now have to re-angle several of the bumpouts, we also argued for an illuminated crosswalk and extra signage at one of the intersections in question--can't remember which one. I personally fought pretty hard to preserve any and all pedestrian-friendly infrastructure and generally speaking, the rest of the association agrees with me on that. Many lamented the new parallel parking and wished we could have had just extra, extra wide sidewalks instead of random sprinkles of parallel parking with sharp bumpouts. So, at least nobody wanted to just widen the road again.

On top of the association complaints, though, you just have a lot of general incompetence and inefficiency going on. They're re-doing entire curbs for what seems to be no reason at all; curbs that were never mentioned in any recent neighborhood chatter.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Oct 2020 17:14

This thread reminds me of 2008, when the city spent $375,000 in bond money to re-do the curbs and sidewalks along Good-Latimer north of Elm Street -- six months before DART tore everything out to build the Green Line.

I think the bonds will be paid off around 2033.

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Oct 2020 21:17

emmasensei wrote:It's happening because the Cochran Heights Neighborhood Association complained that the bumpouts were too extreme and were causing minor accidents. The good news is that while they now have to re-angle several of the bumpouts, we also argued for an illuminated crosswalk and extra signage at one of the intersections in question--can't remember which one. I personally fought pretty hard to preserve any and all pedestrian-friendly infrastructure and generally speaking, the rest of the association agrees with me on that. Many lamented the new parallel parking and wished we could have had just extra, extra wide sidewalks instead of random sprinkles of parallel parking with sharp bumpouts. So, at least nobody wanted to just widen the road again.

On top of the association complaints, though, you just have a lot of general incompetence and inefficiency going on. They're re-doing entire curbs for what seems to be no reason at all; curbs that were never mentioned in any recent neighborhood chatter.

Ah yes, the Cochran Heights Neighborhood Association.

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Oct 2020 21:47

Hannibal Lecter wrote:This thread reminds me of 2008, when the city spent $375,000 in bond money to re-do the curbs and sidewalks along Good-Latimer north of Elm Street -- six months before DART tore everything out to build the Green Line.

I think the bonds will be paid off around 2033.

That sounds about right!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Apr 2021 19:25

lakewoodhobo wrote:This one was just approved.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 2.42.57 PM.jpg

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... erson-ave/

Safe to say this is dead right? Just passed by the neighborhood... Absolutely no progress.What a shame.

Edit: well yeah, I do understand infrastructure was improved... But i don't see much else.

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Apr 2021 23:37

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:This one was just approved.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 2.42.57 PM.jpg

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... erson-ave/

Safe to say this is dead right? Just passed by the neighborhood... Absolutely no progress.What a shame.

Edit: well yeah, I do understand infrastructure was improved... But i don't see much else.

Benefit of the doubt— hard to get a retail and restaurant development financed in the pandemic?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 18 Apr 2021 00:02

Ironically, the improvements to Henderson stop abruptly on both ends of this site. It’s kind of an insult. Or else somebody thinks it will be addressed after the development is completed.

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 Apr 2021 12:19

The plan was for Henderson Ave to be rebuilt along with the new Open Realty development, so until the development is developed, Henderson through there is going remain as is.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Apr 2021 17:25

willyk wrote:Benefit of the doubt— hard to get a retail and restaurant development financed in the pandemic?

I suppose that's what happened. But my only problem with that is that this particular development got approved late 2019. So, was the financing not in place? And it's been two years now almost..

eburress

Postby eburress » 18 Apr 2021 18:49

Agreed. Something's not right about this and what's particularly concerning is that with Open Realty owning most of Henderson Ave, if this development isn't happening then one should assume practically nothing will be happening (from a development standpoint) along Henderson.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Apr 2021 20:00

eburress wrote:Agreed. Something's not right about this and what's particularly concerning is that with Open Realty owning most of Henderson Ave, if this development isn't happening then one should assume practically nothing will be happening (from a development standpoint) along Henderson.

Well the project is still listed as a case study on their site ... Idk what that means.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 18 Apr 2021 21:28

I am afraid that the Andres brothers figured out that the NIMBY neighbors were never going to let up. They sold to the new group who are slowly figuring it out too.