Henderson Avenue Corridor

cowboyeagle05

Re: Henderson Avenue Corridor

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2019 14:57

DPatel304 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Ah, a Texas chain with locations in Austin and Houston already.

Yeah. I guess it makes business sense, but it's weird to me how alike the nightlife is in Dallas, Houston, and Austin these days.

Don't tell Austin that they like to think anything they have is completely unique and locally owned...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Jul 2019 11:33

Let’s Check In on That Planned Mixed-Use Development on Henderson Ave.
Construction is now slated to begin at the end of 2019, about a full year after the initial plans.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... erson-ave/

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 25 Jul 2019 12:45

Read that article with keen interest, since the impending Henderson Ave renaissance was a factor in buying in the location we did. Kind of a puff piece overall, though. Masinter is saying all the right things, but treading very, very carefully. Clearly there's a lot of drama and strife behind the scenes that's been going on for years (and now that I've moved in and have interacted with the neighborhood's vehement NIMBYs, it's unsurprising). Thank goodness it's still moving forward, and fingers crossed Masinter isn't all talk, no walk. Literally.

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Jul 2019 14:42

I tweeted Masinter the other day in hopes of getting an update on the project, so this is a timely post (thanks)! haha

It is pretty incredible to think about all the land Open Realty owns along Henderson. We've heard little-to-nothing about their plans for the rest of their Henderson Ave property, but with so much of it either vacant or underutilized, there is a LOT of potential for development.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jul 2019 15:18

Let's make this happen!

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 26 Jul 2019 00:42

Can't wait for this to kick off! Similar to @emmasensei, we too largely bought in this area due to the future vision of Henderson. Also, is it just me, or does the city's rebuild of the street already seem way behind schedule? When they kicked off at in the spring, it was supposed to be done in 4 phases and take a year. Instead, it seems they are stuck on the same part of Henderson between Willis and the vet building.

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Jul 2019 05:41

I also get that sense. They are making *some* progress on Henderson (there are signs of activity like occasional road closures), but it seems much slower now than their initial "flurry" of activity.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 26 Jul 2019 11:08

malachi896 wrote:Can't wait for this to kick off! Similar to @emmasensei, we too largely bought in this area due to the future vision of Henderson.

Hi Henderson neighbor! Let us know if you ever want to grab a drink. eburress and I have already met IRL :lol:

Also, on a related topic, I completed a pretty in depth focus group this morning all about the Henderson Avenue Sprouts! I totally reamed them out for the depressing treeless wasteland that is their football field-sized, always-empty parking lot. (I'm not a monster--I like Sprouts very much otherwise and I'm sure that very suburban-style store was built pre-renaissance. I just haaaate the orientation of the store. You think CVS is bad...)

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Jul 2019 11:57

^^ That's awesome...nice work! I have a feeling that once the large Henderson Ave development (does it have a name yet?) or the rebuild of Henderson itself wraps, Open Realty Advisors will start developing some of their other properties along Henderson, including a redo of the Sprouts property.

Open Realty's holdings along Henderson are in red, as of a few years ago:

It's pretty easy to see the vacant or underutilized spots they own and the development potential.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 06 Aug 2019 20:50

More changes afoot. Snapped this while walking to Gemma for dinner tonight. This lot (anybody know what it used to be? it's between Jake's and an old laundromat) is for sale.

Utility work in the foreground is either prep for the next phase of the streetscape redo, or (we hope) improvements to the various errant sprinkler systems along Henderson that water the asphalt instead of the landscaping.

EDIT: apparently it's being sold as a package of three lots. Interesting. I suppose we should hope Masinter snaps this up, if he's serious about creating cohesion and a strong sense of place along Henderson. http://www.weitzmangroup.com/properties/henderson_pads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Aug 2019 09:36

^^ Exciting! Yeah, hopefully Masinter or someone with similar intentions can snap it up and get it developed.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 07 Aug 2019 22:42

emmasensei wrote:
malachi896 wrote:Can't wait for this to kick off! Similar to @emmasensei, we too largely bought in this area due to the future vision of Henderson.

Hi Henderson neighbor! Let us know if you ever want to grab a drink. eburress and I have already met IRL :lol:

Also, on a related topic, I completed a pretty in depth focus group this morning all about the Henderson Avenue Sprouts! I totally reamed them out for the depressing treeless wasteland that is their football field-sized, always-empty parking lot. (I'm not a monster--I like Sprouts very much otherwise and I'm sure that very suburban-style store was built pre-renaissance. I just haaaate the orientation of the store. You think CVS is bad...)

Awesome! Great to meet you all and always down to meet people in the neighborhood - when I am actually in town and around. Great news on more sites becoming available on the street; agree with everyone here - hope it gets seamlessly worked into the masterplan for the street, even if masinter and open realty don't snatch it up

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Aug 2019 12:35

Yep, it sounds like we need to schedule a meetup for the forum's Knox Henderson chapter ;)

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 08 Aug 2019 21:58

https://gff.com/view/henderson-avenue-m ... mixed-use/

GFF was hired by Open Realty Advisors and CIM Group in 2012 to help master plan and design significant improvements to the portfolio of nearly fifty properties on Henderson Avenue. The first and most significant of the planned projects is a mixed-use development on Henderson between Glencoe and McMillan on an over 1,000’ long, 3.55 acre primarily vacant tract of property. As a catalyst project for the corridor, special emphasis has been placed on streetscape design, quality of public space making and walkability, with the goal of adding value to the overall portfolio.

This vision for Henderson Avenue required changing the existing zoning that encouraged nodes of bar and restaurants separated by low-rise multifamily uses to a more cohesive plan that will allow up to two levels of creative office above ground level retail and will create an uninterrupted pedestrian-friendly streetscape along the entire length of the site. At either end of the site the scale steps down to small one-story boutique retail buildings that respect the transition to the adjacent residential neighborhoods. The planned project includes a two-level below grade garage with 525 spaces, +/- 63,000 SF of ground level retail and restaurant uses, and +/- 80,000 SF of second and third level office uses.

Prior to and throughout the rezoning process the neighboring community was extensively engaged and encouraged to provide feedback. Many suggestions and concerns on the part of neighbors influenced the final design and allowed Open Realty Advisors to win the overwhelming support of the neighboring property owners polled by the city.

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Aug 2019 23:40

SUCH an awesome project! I can't wait for this to get underway!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Aug 2019 10:57

This is fantastic and by far the most transformative project we have going on in the city. The focus on pedestrian infrastructure should be applauded. Well done.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 09 Aug 2019 11:55

The cherry on top is the mention that this is only the first major project within a portfolio of 50(!) properties along Henderson. (Really? 50?) I can't wait to see the street in 5 years and experience the enhanced quality of life in my neighborhood.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Aug 2019 12:04

^ Definitely! And hopefully the Uber expansion happens because that's only going to speed up the timetables for these developments.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Aug 2019 12:20

Did something new happen with this indicating that it's supposed to start soon? The development looks amazing, but I feel like it's been in a holding pattern for quite some time.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 09 Aug 2019 14:05

Upthread, there was a puff piece/interview with the developer in D Magazine that explained the work has been delayed due to design work, and that they now hope to break ground later this year. Still vague, but implies the wheels are at least turning.

The Henderson complete streets project, combined with utility work on adjacent streets, adds an additional layer of uncertainty to the groundbreaking of this development. You can see and feel the investment pouring into the neighborhood from every direction, but at the moment, it feels pretty overwhelming and chaotic in a not-so-pleasant way (same with Knox; it's less a pedestrian shopping district and more a dirt patch at the moment). South of Henderson is nothing but torn up roads, half-built homes (and the accompanying parking/trash that comes with construction), renovations, alleyway upgrades, old trees being felled, utility pole replacement, and every lot is either for sale or being churned up. And this is before the influx of returning SMU students and the bus traffic associated with Solar Prep school, which just had more traffic signage installed this week.

I can't imagine how the area would feel if this development was also going full throttle simultaneously. I think our roads would seize. I'm excited about all of it, but also ready for the denouement.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2019 16:29

I mean we have the same problem in the immediate Oak Lawn area Lemmon Ave, Turtle Creek, Wycliff and Fitzhugh are being rebuilt and paved so getting home from outer areas largely means I am always getting in some sort of roadway construction traffic.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 16 Aug 2019 12:55

Mesero on Henderson is undergoing what appears to be a more-than-cosmetic renovation in prep for something new. Hooray! But I have no idea what the new spot will be. Anybody know? I imagine they're trying to finish construction to dovetail with the completion of the first phase of the Complete Streets, which is making that area a hot flaming mess right now.

Mesero closed last year over a rent hike: https://dallas.eater.com/2018/8/20/1775 ... nt-dispute

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Aug 2019 09:11

I know absolutely nothing about this company, but Jamon Iberico (largest purveyor of cured ham) will open a 2 story restaurant, bar and store on Henderson Ave... Based in Barcelona they have 150 shops across the country. This will be their 1st US location. Seems like a big deal!

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/cooking ... s-location

eburress

Postby eburress » 21 Aug 2019 10:43

Oooh, exciting! Thanks for digging that up, Kelley!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 21 Aug 2019 10:51

Kelley USA wrote:I know absolutely nothing about this company, but Jamon Iberico (largest purveyor of cured ham) will open a 2 story restaurant, bar and store on Henderson Ave... Based in Barcelona they have 150 shops across the country. This will be their 1st US location. Seems like a big deal!

Interesting, I had no idea that they had stores. Pretty cool!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 21 Aug 2019 11:30

Kelley USA wrote:I know absolutely nothing about this company, but Jamon Iberico (largest purveyor of cured ham) will open a 2 story restaurant, bar and store on Henderson Ave... Based in Barcelona they have 150 shops across the country. This will be their 1st US location. Seems like a big deal!

Exciting! I loved these kind of places during my travels in Spain. A mix of the traditional ham business, tapas, and of course drinks like wine and sangria should be a hit.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 21 Aug 2019 12:47

I love this news. Now we know what’s taking over the old Mesero space, with an opening slated for late October.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Aug 2019 17:51

Ahhh! Jamón Ibérico is awesome! Can't wait for this. A slice of Catalonia in Dallas ..love it!

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 21 Aug 2019 18:41

This will be practically in my backyard, and I also booked a vacation to Barcelona two days ago. How serendipitous.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 21 Aug 2019 20:25

emmasensei wrote:This will be practically in my backyard, and I also booked a vacation to Barcelona two days ago. How serendipitous.

Flew back from Barcelona after two weeks in Spain last night while thinking about how awesome it would be to have one of these in our neighborhood here in Dallas. Wake up to see this in the morning. I still can’t believe it!

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Aug 2019 12:59

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but over the weekend I noticed a bulldozer and a few other trucks on the site of that big Henderson Ave development. There has been some utility work happening on Henderson so this could just be staging, but maybe not... :)

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 26 Aug 2019 19:42

eburress wrote:I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but over the weekend I noticed a bulldozer and a few other trucks on the site of that big Henderson Ave development. There has been some utility work happening on Henderson so this could just be staging, but maybe not... :)

fingers crossed!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Aug 2019 10:31

emmasensei wrote:Okay, finally this is all making sense. The linked article explains that the building will host 77 Degrees on the second/third floors and the Irish bar on the first floor.

Step Inside 77 Degrees, Henderson Avenue’s Stunning New Rooftop Bar
https://dallas.eater.com/2019/8/27/2083 ... pen-photos

You know it's an Austin export when they just assume people call Dallas "DTX" the way Austinites call their city ATX.

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 10.27.05 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 27 Aug 2019 10:38

lakewoodhobo wrote:
emmasensei wrote:Okay, finally this is all making sense. The linked article explains that the building will host 77 Degrees on the second/third floors and the Irish bar on the first floor.

You know it's an Austin export when they just assume people call Dallas "DTX" the way Austinites call their city ATX.

Not the type of place I'd hang out at too often, but that rooftop does look pretty awesome.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Aug 2019 11:50

lakewoodhobo wrote:

Maybe they think this is what we should be calling ourselves instead of DFW. I wonder what FW would do if we tried to adopt something like that?

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Aug 2019 13:55

lakewoodhobo wrote:

I don't understand the rationale behind ANY aspect of this project. The Irish pub portion may do fine but I predict 77 Degrees lasts <1 year.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 27 Aug 2019 14:36

Agreed. It's a bizarre structure and while these photos make it appear chic, I think it's tacky in real life (my opinion only). It took forever to get built, so I'm sure the construction costs were sky high. Too big for the street. The neighborhood is beginning to turn away from raucous nightlife and evolve into a more community-oriented one. This project has been befuddling from the beginning.

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Aug 2019 14:57

Totally agree. Its exterior is a poorly executed mess and as baffling as the juxtaposition of Irish and tropical venues is, the most confusing thing to me is that despite its biggest selling point being its view of Downtown, Downtown isn't visible from the majority of the venue. I just don't get it.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 27 Aug 2019 15:03

I can't wait for this place to open! It's nice to have a soccer bar. I've spoken to owners and I think place will do fine.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 27 Aug 2019 15:34

I think people here are overthinking the design a bit too much. It's not designed to appease us urbanists, or even be super functional. It's designed to be an instagrammy place where young people will go en masse and overpay for mass amounts of alcohol, equaling big profit. Look at how much revenue Bottled Blonde is pulling in.... it's insane money. Something like $800-900k per month.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 27 Aug 2019 15:59

Well, my friend group (we're young people who overpay for alcohol) just arranged an outing to this place this Friday, so I'll report back I suppose. Although a few people in the group text (decidedly non-urbanist) are also already making fun of the decor, so take that as you will :lol:

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Aug 2019 23:34

Some of the early reviews of 77 Degrees are in:

"77 degrees miserable grand opening! I really love that I can hear music and girls screaming from this bar’s rooftop reverberating throughout my entire house. How on earth did this rooftop bar get approved by the city in a residential neighborhood?"

The neighbors may not be pleased but you went there tonight, emmasensei. What did you think?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 31 Aug 2019 06:15

How do I say this dispassionately?...

I hated it. I felt like I was on a low-budget cruise ship with a bunch of Large Adult Children. I can also say that nobody was there to actually take in any views of Downtown Dallas. And the stairs are RIDICULOUS.

Basically, I'm not their target audience (my dance-on-the-bar days were fun but long behind me), and to be fair, I went in expecting to hate it. But I'll reiterate my confusion: sure, there are a lot of 20-somethings in apartments in this area, but the immediate surrounding neighborhoods seem increasingly to be...people...more like me? Tired Old Millennials and Gen-Xers with jobs, families, mortgages, and reasonable bedtimes. The homes being built just off Henderson are only getting larger, fancier, and more expensive. We're seeing 4-bedroom homes priced at over a million getting built. Are the people buying those homes really going to go drink suspiciously blue drinks and scream at each other at a place like 77 Degrees? Maybe? I guess? Ugh.

I've said this before, but Henderson is rapidly growing up, and this bar just doesn't make sense--architecturally, spatially, culturally. And it'll make even less sense once the initial opening excitement and first-month-of-the-school-year hoopla settles down. And then even LESS sense once all of the more sedate and grown-up projects on Henderson get underway.

Henderson was not the right spot for this bar. I really feel for the poor soul you quoted, eburress! :lol: They're in for a rough few months before this place inevitably shutters.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Aug 2019 07:42

Simply because it seems so out of place might be what makes it a success.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Aug 2019 08:05

All of the things wrong with this place; its poorly-executed, haphazard appearance, its ridiculously poor street presence (on what some project to be Dallas' most walkable street), its lack of consideration to its neighbors, the practicality of having a space in Dallas that's 100% outdoors, and so on...

Maybe this is all part of a calculated strategy to make this place a success

- or -

Maybe all these awful decisions are indicative of people who didn't know what they were doing or where they were doing it.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 31 Aug 2019 12:16

Walked by a few times this weekend and just find everything about it obnoxious. Still have hope for the pub concept downstairs, but feel like that market point is already well served by the Old Monk and Skellig on this strip. Don't see this place lasting at all. It will have a nice flurry of people from across town coming to it as the new hot spot, but once that wears off, it won't generate anywhere near enough neighborhood traffic to sustain itself.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 31 Aug 2019 12:40

Don't forget about the new Skellig beer garden going in shortly (and whatever the mysterious little white cottage is that's being built next to Henderson Dental...looks like that'll have a little patio as well, so it's probably some type of cafe).

I actually think the beer garden is a nice/thoughtful addition that makes sense in context and helps define the street as more than just a late night party spot.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 31 Aug 2019 18:24

malachi896 wrote:Walked by a few times this weekend and just find everything about it obnoxious. Still have hope for the pub concept downstairs, but feel like that market point is already well served by the Old Monk and Skellig on this strip. Don't see this place lasting at all. It will have a nice flurry of people from across town coming to it as the new hot spot, but once that wears off, it won't generate anywhere near enough neighborhood traffic to sustain itself.

I disagree. I actually see this place lasting. I know a lot of people who are excited about Jack & Ginger’s opening below as well. Quite a few people live in the area as well.

The Old Monk is and will be a different vibe. Plus that area is too hard to park at. Too bad they don’t complete the DART station there.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 31 Aug 2019 20:09

I definitely have higher hopes for the pub, especially if it turns into a legitimate neighborhood spot to watch soccer. We'll see about 77 degrees, Dallas just seems to cycle through hot spots like that fairly quickly.

HarryMoto

Postby HarryMoto » 01 Sep 2019 09:53

The 77 Degrees here in Houston seems to do well but it's in a neighborhood (Midtown) without many long-time homeowners who would complain about Generation Z and millennial carousing. In Dallas, 77 Degrees would seem to be a better fit in Deep Ellum, along with Bottled Blonde and the like.