Deep Ellum: Case Building (~197 FT / 18 ST)

Tnexster

Deep Ellum: Case Building (~197 FT / 18 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 02 Dec 2016 21:36

As I was leaving Dallas this week and driving south toward Houston I could not help but notice how much this one has grown in the past couple of months. It's making an impact on the DE skyline now.

Attached an old article about it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/busi ... ment-tower

Thymant

Re: Deep Ellum: Case Building

Postby Thymant » 03 Dec 2016 16:44

I was able to catch a shot while stuck in traffic:

Plus from earlier this week:

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Dec 2016 23:05

It is totally out of scale for the neighborhood. This isn't Uptown. It looms over everything on the eastern half of Deep Ellum. About half the height would have been fine.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 04 Dec 2016 06:18

It isn't uptown, yet....

This won't be the last residential tower coming to the area. With the KDC project kicking off I am pretty sure we can expect at least a few more projects of similar scale...

I am happy that development is no longer constrained to uptown, but I just hope the development can keep the fabric of Deep Ellum in tact.

willyk

Postby willyk » 04 Dec 2016 06:59

Hannibal Lecter wrote:It is totally out of scale for the neighborhood. This isn't Uptown. It looms over everything on the eastern half of Deep Ellum. About half the height would have been fine.

I agree but KDC is going tall, as is Greystar at CityLights. Not far away Baylor is an intense use and at CityPlace this forum wants Crow to go tall. So the market seems to be saying this is the right product.

I know your point is about the aesthetic, not the market. But I don't see how we can expect developers to do anything but highest and best.

I have friends in Austin bemoaning the arrival more intense residential on South Congress, which is attracting high dollar merchants like Warby Parker and American Apparel that are paying $75 a foot and up. This is driving out the long time tenants that made the neighborhood cool in the first place. These tall buildings may bring retail that will change the DE vibe and that concerns me.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 04 Dec 2016 11:00

Although I understand the idea about preserving the scale of the neighborhood, density in deep ellum would encourage development in surrounding areas such as downtown, fair park, and baylor. This in turn would add jobs and appeal closer to some of the most blighted areas of dallas. Only downside being the gentrification.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 04 Dec 2016 11:11

Hannibal Lecter wrote:It is totally out of scale for the neighborhood. This isn't Uptown. It looms over everything on the eastern half of Deep Ellum. About half the height would have been fine.

To me it blends with Baylor.

Also, that end seems to be more Exposition Park and the edge of Deep Ellum

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Dec 2016 11:42

The Marquis on Gaston is an offender to Deep Ellum, and it's the "luxury" disposition of Case Bldg that is contrary, but I'm hoping most of the other lots between Main and the hospital rise to a similar height. The height is collaborative 3200 Undermain Theater... and that train station really needs residents. Maybe the free-money gift to include affordable units in additional 10-15 story residential buildings.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2016 14:44

I almost feel like if they can go up high they will but maybe they will do some nice mid-rise projects and level it out a bit. I don't really have a feel for how much property is available in DE for residential projects. I have heard that Midtown and Club Dallas are both closing which would open some space although I don't know how large those property footprints really are.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 04 Dec 2016 19:20

My sources say Midtown has been sold with no definite plans announced yet for the property or its site but Club Dallas is for a fact expanding with the construction of a second level and re-arrangement of existing parking lots beginning next month.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Dec 2016 00:08

I noticed The Case all the way from Dealey Plaza today and thought how drastic this change was, but also agree with Tamtagon that The Marquis is the true offender in DE. Actually, there is so much crap in DE now like the storage building on Swiss that Case is really nothing in comparison.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 05 Dec 2016 11:50

Wonder if it would be possible to instate a zoning restriction limiting building height to under 10 floors as well as brick facades, with retail requirements at the base.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Dec 2016 13:08

It's exciting to know that Deep Ellum can support a tall building such as this. But even though it can, I'm not so sure it should.

I'd prefer to see the tall buildings on the outskirts of the neighborhood and basically hugging the highways, and closer to the CBD. All in all, I'm not extremely happy with this development, but it could have been a lot worse as well. At least this was done on an empty lot, and perhaps this might give retailers more confidence in the area. I really just want these projects to start happening more in the CBD. We keep seeing more and more high rises announced OUTSIDE the CBD, but there are still so many surface parking lots available within.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Dec 2016 13:20

willyk wrote: These tall buildings may bring retail that will change the DE vibe and that concerns me.

The retail mix is already changing. We were down there last weekend and wandered into a store in one of the newly refurbished old spaces. The moment I was inside, I thought I was in Bishop Arts. The same merchandise, same look, same prices. Definitely not a Deep Ellum vibe, but an Oaklawn/Bishop Arts feel.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 05 Dec 2016 19:44

Also prefer they don't mandate brick. This isn't Coppell. Don't see the issue here as long as they make it walkable.

LOL @ Coppell, I just don't want to see an Elan City Lights go up in the main entertainment area.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 06 Dec 2016 09:11

Was in Deep Ellum this past weekend- Man things are really rolling - tons of people lots of new businesses. Somehow the city has got to build a Parking Garage for this area. Seems like between the increased property value on the current parking lots and the parking revenue this could be justified. I wonder if the Deep Ellum TIFF could do something like this?

muncien

Postby muncien » 06 Dec 2016 09:32

If I'm not mistaken, DE has a 'community parking' calculation to meet minimal parking standards. It's basically a sum of all available parking within the general area vs the businesses in the same area (as opposed to each individual location having dedicated parking).
So, I'm curious how any new development on the many existing parking lots impact the surrounding businesses. I would expect that they would need to not only meet their own parking requirements, but also replace those that were 'allocated' to the neighborhood. But, I'm really not sure how that works...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

DallasMan

Postby DallasMan » 07 Dec 2016 10:08

Well, this is good timing: the students in UTA's Historic Preservation and Restoration course at UTA's College of Architecture, Planning, and Public Affairs have been studying and analyzing how to best preserve the character of Deep Ellum amidst its revival.

They will be presenting their findings to the public on Tuesday, December 13 at 7:00 PM at Genius Den at 3106 Commerce. All are welcome.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 29 Dec 2016 17:37

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 02 Jan 2017 13:26

1/2/17

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jan 2017 12:35

Looking good, thanks for the pics.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 05 Jan 2017 16:13

Is it officially topped out?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 06 Jan 2017 00:54

^ Not yet. I'm guessing another week or so.

kingpin

Re: Deep Ellum: Case Building (~197 FT / 18 ST)

Postby kingpin » 04 Mar 2017 13:09

3/4/17

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 17 Mar 2017 17:53

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 01 May 2017 11:54

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 04 Jun 2017 20:53

6/4/17

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 24 Sep 2017 18:04

9/24/17

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 27 Nov 2017 17:23

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2017 19:04

Nice looking building, the garage isn't so nice to look at. Are they going to cover that up?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 28 Nov 2017 00:10

The bare concrete portions of the main building look really bad. I was hoping/expecting some kind of surface treatment to improve the appearance, but with the first residents already in that's looking less and less likely.

vman

Postby vman » 28 Nov 2017 06:02

Hannibal Lecter wrote:The bare concrete portions of the main building look really bad. I was hoping/expecting some kind of surface treatment to improve the appearance, but with the first residents already in that's looking less and less likely.

I agree and it's such a shame because it's a good looking building otherwise. On my drive back from Houston this weekend, I noticed what an impact this building makes on the eastern skyline...very nice.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Nov 2017 10:02

There's still a chance it gets covered. I remember Mockingbird station garage had cars using it before it was finished.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Nov 2017 10:05

The problem is it looks like CityPlace does. A lone tower in a sea of a one-story walkable area. Mind you Baylor is nearby but It really needs one or two smaller structures that make it look less like an ivory tower. This is what we call scale ladies and gentlemen. When you design a structure that sticks out like a sore thumb despite its architecture in any other context would be appropriate. I like the look of the building btw I like how they incorporated industrial-like design elements but even the first and second floor lean over the sidewalk like the 80's office towers in the CBD. I am sure people will disagree with me as well and that's fine. I think if a few new structures were built nearby with similar scale it would alleviate my concern on the overall scale. It certainly does bookend Deep Ellum now. Starts to set up the visual that yes Deep Ellum is a part of Downtown even if its mostly one and two-story structures of restaurants, bars and lofts.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 28 Nov 2017 11:26

I think it's great. Something this "out of scale" would never be allowed in the Bay Area, and that's a significant reason why our affordability crisis is so intense. I would kill for an 18-story building to be allowed outside of downtown San Francisco or Oakland. I certainly agree that it would be even better if several more buildings of this size/density were built all around it, though!

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Nov 2017 15:25

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The problem is it looks like CityPlace does. A lone tower in a sea of a one-story walkable area. Mind you Baylor is nearby but It really needs one or two smaller structures that make it look less like an ivory tower. This is what we call scale ladies and gentlemen. When you design a structure that sticks out like a sore thumb despite its architecture in any other context would be appropriate. I like the look of the building btw I like how they incorporated industrial-like design elements but even the first and second floor lean over the sidewalk like the 80's office towers in the CBD. I am sure people will disagree with me as well and that's fine. I think if a few new structures were built nearby with similar scale it would alleviate my concern on the overall scale. It certainly does bookend Deep Ellum now. Starts to set up the visual that yes Deep Ellum is a part of Downtown even if its mostly one and two-story structures of restaurants, bars and lofts.

This isn't the only new building that will be built over there. The scale may seem off now, but this is just the start.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 06 Dec 2017 09:46

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Dec 2017 11:06

Well with interior renderings anyway.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 06 Dec 2017 15:17

Ooops, sorry, I guess I should have looked at them closer. -_-

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 17 Dec 2017 14:02

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-real-estate/2017/12/inside-streetlights-and-westdales-case-building-in-deep-ellum/#image-1

Inside StreetLights and Westdale’s Case Building in Deep Ellum
You'll want to see this fitness center, and these package lockers, and this residents-only bar.

The tallest building in Deep Ellum is now accepting residents. The 17-story apartment complex by StreetLights Residential and Westdale has opened its 337-unit The Case Building at 3131 Main St.

Upon walking into the building’s lobby, potential residents will see a residents-only bar, pool table, conference/dining room, and catering kitchen. Other amenities include a two-story fitness center, pool, dog washing station, package locker concierge, and co-working-style work space.

StreetLights affiliates SLR Creative and SLR Construction designed and built the project developed by Westdale. WDG Architecture is the building’s architect.

The new building sits on a 1.21-acre site, adjacent to a second 1-acre site. A second phase could include a second multifamily tower, but those plans have not been finalized. Units range from 512-square-foot studios to 1,472-square-foot two-bedroom units.

Designers pushed the 462-car garage to the interior of the building, allowing ground-floor apartments to better interact with the street.

“StreetLights really values the street. We want to engage with it and add activity all along [our building],” SLR Creative President Paige Close says.

The biggest challenge of the project was to create a building that embodied the Deep Ellum neighborhood. “There was trepidation about doing right by the neighborhood,” Close says. “We wanted a building that fit the spirit of the neighborhood. This [kind of] project does not happen without the vision of Westdale.”

As part of its mission to embrace the neighborhood, The Case Building includes all original artwork in common spaces, much of which was created by Deep Ellum artists. The building also utilizes materials—such as red brick and black steel—reminiscent of the neighborhood’s industrial history.

The U-shaped design of the building creates downtown skyline views for most units, and views of Baylor Medical Center and elsewhere. Each unit has a balcony. Some residents have already started moving in, and leasing has ramped up now that the building is complete.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Dec 2017 20:32

I like the way this building looks inside and out.