The Hill Shopping Center - NCX/Walnut Hill

Matt777

The Hill Shopping Center - NCX/Walnut Hill

Postby Matt777 » 18 Jul 2023 13:24

Is there a thread for this place already? I couldn't find one.

The Hill has been going through a redevelopment and beautification over the last 3-5 years. It's actually really nice now, beautiful trees and landscaping, and a cool vibe. It's one of the only Dallas strip centers I find attractive. So of course, it's being target for a complete development. We cannot have nice things, so this has to go.

I like the idea of adding residential towers, but hopefully this happens on surface lots in conjunction with some parking garages, to keep the open air shopping areas intact.

Dallas Morning News wrote:
Redevelopment would add apartments to North Dallas retail center
Hill shopping center is at U.S. 75 and Walnut Hill near Presbyterian Hospital.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... il-center/

potatocoins

Re: The Hill Shopping Center - NCX/Walnut Hill

Postby potatocoins » 18 Jul 2023 14:12

While this is absolutely also one of my favorite strip centers, I definitely wouldn't miss it if it were re-developed into something more dense.

It is surprising to me how there are already talks of re-development given how recent the 'refresh' was, though. I'm a fan of a number of the establishments here, so hopefully they can find a way to keep them in tact while also adding more density to this plot.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Aug 2023 14:01

Approved, with some snide comments from Plan Commission Michael Jung. Yet another reason why Dallas trails its suburbs in development is guys like that running the show.

Supposedly the plan is to keep the restaurants as long as they can.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Aug 2023 14:32

There are a bunch of parking in this development that could easily be built upon without sacrificing much if any of the existing structure and/or businesses

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 11 Aug 2023 11:03

/\ Especially closer to the Walnut Hill red line station. Going vertical on that entire eastside would not affect the great vibe they already created. These 1960s office buildings look great redeveloped.
The current open area (Including 2 restaurants on the far east edge and not connected to the development is over 5 acres. That is big enough for multiple mid rises and underground parking to serve the apartments and the businesses. And this side is very close to the Walnut dart station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 20 Aug 2023 10:07

Looks like Phase 1 or Sub-Area C takes out this building below in gmaps link, leaving other businesses in operation. The parking lot stays. Looks like Civil Pour building stays just barely.
https://goo.gl/maps/Na6W3i5QfPnuBK8m7

https://cityofdallas.legistar.com/Legis ... 60F706A784

Also, if for any reason developer ambitions fizzle later after first phase is completed, . . . well, a little something happened and the rest of the place stayed largely intact. Lowest-hanging fruit first and they could possibly just walk away. I imagine they are interested in Sub-Area D as well before walking away. We shall see!

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 19 Oct 2023 14:24

Builder to add apartments at North Dallas shopping center

Apartment builder Mill Creek Residential – which has several new rental communities in the works in North Texas – plans to break ground for the Hill apartments in March, according to planning documents filed with the state.

It plans to construct an eight-story apartment and retail building costing almost $66 million. A seven-story parking garage will be included in the project designed by WDG Architecture.

The Hill rental community is expected to open starting in 2025.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ng-center/