Knox District / Knox Park

LongonBigD

Travis/Knox MSDell development

Postby LongonBigD » 07 Oct 2022 00:52

I found this site plan for the MSDell project at Knox and Travis. It was part of the Traffic Impact Assessment for the project. There is a retail building on Armstrong I was unaware of, perhaps this just represents the ground floor of the multi-family bldg. I assume “F&B” is food and beverage. Looks like Cafe Madrid will get a nice outdoor seating area in back replacing their parking lot. The driveway between the office building and Mashburns (with offices above) which enters from Knox St appears to be pedestrian only. I have also heard that Highland Park is reviewing plans to raze and upgrade the old apartments directly on the other side of Katy Trail (Knox & Abbott). Not sure what’s planned but probably more of those $2MM townhomes that line Abbott.

Found this tidbit about Knox Complete Street project:

In the meeting with city staff, David Nevarez mentioned that instead of the project making all the necessary traffic signal changes, that perhaps the development could contribute their share of funding to the City to incorporate the changes as part of a City project. Because the Knox Complete Street project has been delayed and city funding is unknown at this time,we are not sure what City project would make those changes but that can be further discussed in subsequent meetings during site design review process, after the zoning and abandonment cases are completed.

263BF643-1DC4-48C6-9435-A82328D807D1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

interestedobserver

Re: Travis/Knox MSDell development

Postby interestedobserver » 07 Oct 2022 06:33

Thank you for the site map/plan. Looks promising with plenty of trail integration / interface.

LongonBigD wrote:I have also heard that Highland Park is reviewing plans to raze and upgrade the old apartments directly on the other side of Katy Trail (Knox & Abbott).

Last week I noticed they razed a swath of two-story apartments just north of Mondara. To me, it appeared they were doing an extensive renovation for a while given how long the prep work for demo was going. Curious if there are any details as to what’s going up in their place.

Cbdallas

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby Cbdallas » 07 Oct 2022 06:44

The stub out for the DART rail station seems more plausible with every new tower announced.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Oct 2022 09:31

Someone else mentioned that the planned development (replacing those old apartments) was going to be similar in style and scale to the Robert Elliot-built condos immediately to the south.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Oct 2022 17:53

LongonBigD wrote:
eburress wrote:I just hope they decide to incorporate the Mashburn structure into the office building on Knox.

The DMN story below about Anthropologie confirms that Mashburns will be “dislocated” by the new Dell development on Travis. It says HPV leasing team is helping find them a new location in Knox District.

Probably happened a while ago, but I just noticed Mashburns took the old Starpower location (wasn’t this the original Highland Park Cafeteria space?) on Cole just north of Pottery Barn.

In other Knox news: Foxtrot should open any day now in the old YETI space. Apparently back in August, Doce Mesas (reported recently will be torn down eventually to make room for 3 new towers) opened a second location at Walnut Hill/NCX in the old Red Hot and Blue BBQ space. That space had an outdoor stage/patio area. Anyone been there? Are they using the stage or did they just remove it?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Oct 2022 20:11

OrangeMike wrote:
CTroyMathis wrote:https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2023000684
If the application is completely accurate, 56 units in a 20 story building. 90 parking spaces underground. So maybe accurate.

Steve Brown just posted a story on this: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -on-us-75/

Sounds like Henry's Majestic will be going away for this. The bar has a McKinney address; 3030 Monticello is about at the curb cut on the side of the parking lot out in front.

This project, Galatyn by StreetLights (20 story ultra condos at McKinney & Monticello) is moving really fast. We only recently learned of it and yet, there’s this from EATER Dallas:

https://apple.news/AzsxxnG74RmiOHE4Bsgz9EQ

Anyone who has had a magical brunch, lunch, or dinner over music at Henry’s Majestic will be saddened to hear that it and the around-the-way speakeasy Atwater Alley will be closing on October 30. The good news is diners have a chance for one last visit between now and then.

The news comes as a result of the building owners selling the property. And the hopeful word from the folks at Henry’s is that this won’t be the last you see of them. “Our plan is to reopen Henry’s Majestic in a new location, so the hunt continues for a space! Stay tuned...” Andrew Popp, co-owner of Henry’s Majestic and Atwater Alley, said in a press release.

Henry’s Majestic has been open since 2004 and on Eater Dallas’s brunch map pretty much since it started serving brunch. No surprise since its owners come from the family that brought us Breadwinner’s Cafe.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Oct 2022 19:52

The small building that housed many pop-ups over the years is now demo'd. The last piece to go will be the majority of the structure that was the previous location of the Mashburn store. I assume after that, they will clear trees and such.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Oct 2022 15:27

They did file the residential tower, hotel / condo tower and the office building with the State today. All 3 projects have a construction start date of 1/1/2023 with a completion date by 3/31/2026.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Oct 2022 16:32

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Oct 2022 16:49

I love that there is so much activity in Knox District right now. I probably won't love it once all these projects kick off and they start narrowing Knox St at the same time they convert McKinney Ave and Cole Ave to two-way. However, I enjoy being in the middle of it all for now.

MODERATORS: With so many projects, should a couple of the larger projects (MSD - 3 towers and Stockdale - 3 towers) need their own threads to avoid confusion? Just curious if "Henderson" could be taken out of the thread title. There is an existing Henderson Ave Corridor thread. I remain optimistic that someone will get that side moving forward soon finally. If for no other reason, all the activity on Knox St should naturally stimulate Henderson. The residential aspect certainly took off over there.

There are more than a dozen towers in some state of planning/construction in the immediate area:
*3 - MSDell project @ Knox/Travis - Apt, Hotel/Condo, and office tower
*3 - Knox Promenade (Stockdale project) - Apt, Office, and Sr Living towers
*2 - The Ivy (and another) - McKinney Ave @ Webb - Apt tower and a boutique office bldg
*1 - Galatyn by StreetLights - McKinney Ave @ Monticello - ultraluxury condo tower
*1 - Terminal @ Katy Trail - ultraluxury condo tower (topped out)
*1 - Stillwater Capital office bldg - 4145 Travis St @ Fitzhugh
*1 - Kairoi Residential apartment bldg (7-8 stories) on Travis south of Armstrong

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Oct 2022 18:04

Yes, individual threads for all of these projects are desired. This thread has needed to be broken up for a long time. Also, renamed. Knox Park works for me. Back in the day, Victory Park had a catch-all for odds/ends and indiv. threads for every building for example.

You must've been reading my mind, I was thinking about this very thing over the weekend!

Edit in: If you want to take the lead go right ahead. "Knox Park: bldg/bldgs height/stories". The usual. If things seem to be approximations, I usually use this: ~

LongonBigD

Knox District / Knox Park

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Oct 2022 20:03

I am happy to set up some new threads for the new projects. I don’t think I can move existing posts to the newly created threads for each new project. Will admins merge them or pick and choose posts to migrate?

I can’t edit the name of the primary thread (Knox Henderson Knox Street side). It should probably stay as a catch-all for retail or general neighborhood discussion.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Oct 2022 20:06

We can move posts over accordingly. No worries. I'll edit this thread title as well.

interestedobserver

Re: Knox District / Knox Park

Postby interestedobserver » 27 Oct 2022 15:52

Foxtrot Market opened 10/26/22.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkLx72SJH-f/

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 31 Oct 2022 13:36

On the heels of Foxtrot Market opening less than a week ago....I'm not sure if we knew this already? A sign is up for Berkley's Market, just steps away from Foxtrot. Going in next to Pegasus Bank where the garden center used to be. I'm pleased that this little neglected corner of Knox is getting something new, but odd that we now have dueling fancy-convenience-store concepts next door to each other.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 31 Oct 2022 15:45

emmasensei wrote:On the heels of Foxtrot Market opening less than a week ago....I'm not sure if we knew this already? A sign is up for Berkley's Market, just steps away from Foxtrot. Going in next to Pegasus Bank where the garden center used to be. I'm pleased that this little neglected corner of Knox is getting something new, but odd that we now have dueling fancy-convenience-store concepts next door to each other.

This oughta be interesting. The Berkley’s rumor started way back when they left HPV. It was noted they said they were looking for space nearby when the HPV location closed. Some assumed Knox, but no announcement until well after Foxtrot was announced. They took their good sweet time. I even daydreamed they take the old Zgallerie spot—too late—RH staging area then Anthropologie (another HPV relo). Then I thought maybe part of the old OTB location—we now know why that wasn’t an option.

Berkeley’s location will be awful (until the MCD Capital project is completed in 3 years). They need to last until then because there is little foot traffic on that block. It is possible if the crowds going to Taverna and Toulouse pop-in after valeting the car. The HPV location seemed to do well. They may even get traffic from the Katy Trail just because it’s closer. I know people would jump off the trail to get to the Fitzhugh 7-11 before, but that area is blocked with construction of Terminal.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 31 Oct 2022 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 31 Oct 2022 16:47

No doubt Berkley Market is counting on foot traffic from Katy Trail. I walk the trail most days and have long wished for a place where I can easily pop in and grab something (Knox Starbucks is always a mess, long lines and I can't go in with my dogs). And I will say that Foxtrot has been packed every day since it opened. But Knox went from having zero coffee-and-pastry spots to...many, all within a year or so.

I guess I don't understand the convenience store aspect of these shops. Who wants to spend $12.99/dozen Vital Farms eggs from a luxury convenience store? I mean, my bourgeois, DINK Millennial a** buys Vital Farms eggs, but I choose to spend $6/dozen at Sprouts down the street. Perhaps Gen Z has different grocery-shopping routines.

I did all this reconnaissance from Village Bakery. i.e. another cafe on the same block.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 31 Oct 2022 17:06

emmasensei wrote:I guess I don't understand the convenience store aspect of these shops. Who wants to spend $12.99/dozen Vital Farms eggs from a luxury convenience store? I mean, my bourgeois, DINK Millennial a** buys Vital Farms eggs, but I choose to spend $6/dozen at Sprouts down the street. Perhaps Gen Z has different grocery-shopping routines.

I don't live in this area, but I wonder that too. Grocery delivery is also very convenient, so I think I'd really only see myself using a place like this in a pinch.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Oct 2022 21:08

emmasensei wrote:No doubt Berkley Market is counting on foot traffic from Katy Trail. I walk the trail most days and have long wished for a place where I can easily pop in and grab something (Knox Starbucks is always a mess, long lines and I can't go in with my dogs). And I will say that Foxtrot has been packed every day since it opened. But Knox went from having zero coffee-and-pastry spots to...many, all within a year or so.

I guess I don't understand the convenience store aspect of these shops. Who wants to spend $12.99/dozen Vital Farms eggs from a luxury convenience store? I mean, my bourgeois, DINK Millennial a** buys Vital Farms eggs, but I choose to spend $6/dozen at Sprouts down the street. Perhaps Gen Z has different grocery-shopping routines.

I did all this reconnaissance from Village Bakery. i.e. another cafe on the same block.

The Knox Starbucks has become much more dog friendly, btw. Rosie goes there on the reg. :)

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 09 Jan 2023 17:51

General Knox District updates.
Berkleys Market is moving along. Interior work in progress. Confusing interior progress photo due to reflection in glass.
160F132C-93A0-4C85-8F92-966306C28431.jpeg
1C840476-7979-477F-9178-9AB7D6317408.jpeg

Pizzana now open at base of Weirs Plaza and work in process next door.
B1C0F063-A231-4DA8-8948-67929A8F9921.jpeg

Mister Charles restaurant/bar (old HP Pharmacy building) interior finish out in progress.
08A281F6-4E68-4FE4-8017-D088BBD1284E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 17 Jan 2023 07:05

Coming to 4919 McKinney (near Chelsea Corner and between The McKenzie and the planned new Streetlights Residential tower).

https://www.tresmarketfoods.com/locatio ... land-park/

As a nearby resident, I’m very pleased, but do wonder if this, Foxtrot AND Berkley’s can all make it.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 17 Jan 2023 10:13

Thanks for all the photos above. I don't make it back to those old stomping grounds much.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 Jan 2023 10:28

That is pretty crazy that this will be opening along with Foxtrot and Berkley's.

This particular location seems like it might be convenient for Highland Park residents and perhaps people slightly north and east. Maybe they hope to pull some traffic from the Knox area, but also picked this particular spot because it is slightly further out with some surface parking which may make it a better option for people driving from other areas?

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 17 Jan 2023 18:10

BB27E102-560C-40E7-A96F-89E677EF5DA5.jpeg

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Jan 2023 20:15

WOW! That was quick, necessary—but quick. That building was a total zero.

Looking at the tresMarket website, I’m not sure this is direct competition to Berkleys or Foxtrot. The extensive menu first made me think it was more like Village Bakery or a restaurant, but I don’t think either is right. This looks like a cross between maybe Grange Hall and a catering company. Curiously, you can rent the “cottage” in three hour blocks but must purchase food from them. This is a new animal, I think. Will be curious to see what comes.

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 22 Jan 2023 14:19

https://www.pacelm.com/portfolio

Here's another Knox development I don't remember any discussion about. It's just a couple of renderings by the holding company Woods Capital consolidated some of their properties in, like Thanksgiving tower and Bryan tower. "Ivy Park" is two buildings near the Mckenzie, looks like an office proposal next to 75, and a residential a block away.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 22 Jan 2023 17:45

Great find on the renderings!

There has not been much talk about these two towers. The TDLR filing for the office building was posted in this thread back in Sept, but other than a quick intro piece in DMN in Jan 2022 and a story in DBJ last fall, nothing. The filing said construction is scheduled to start in Mar 2023. “Scope of Work: The design and construction of core and shell office building, which consists of a new 185,000 GSF square foot office on a 174,000 GSF podium garage.” I don’t see it starting in a few weeks. The existing structures on both lots still stand. No signs of zoning change notices or fences up.

If built, that would be three residential towers within one block though, resulting in nice density.

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Jan 2023 05:25

These buildings that are almost equal parts parking and their actual use crack me up. Nonetheless, so the two towers are at opposite corners at the intersection of McKinney and Webb. Interesting. So if these do get off the ground, that's at least 10 new Knox-area towers. Dang.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jan 2023 06:20

Are the parking levels being built so they could convert to future occupant levels?

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 23 Jan 2023 11:27

tamtagon wrote:Are the parking levels being built so they could convert to future occupant levels?

Are any new garages around here ever built with that in mind? I want them to be, but cynically I don't think this town builds with that kind of foresight in mind.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Feb 2023 20:28

Hastens is opening next to Natuzzi on McKinney Avenue.
https://www.hastens.com/us/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 08 Feb 2023 23:50

I saw that too on Sunday. I have to be honest, my first thought was, “Really, another mattress store, really?” I don’t know this brand or retailer. Is it more like Duxiana?

8F648885-46A6-483F-854F-D60F42ACD60B.jpeg

I noticed the new steak house in the former Abacus/Jaspers Uptown space (NW corner McKinney and Armstrong) is coming along nicely. They re-faced the building to make it fresh and modern. Added lots of windows and a nice patio space to McKinney Ave side. It should drive more foot traffic activity toward BluDot, Natuzzi and this new store.

There is a building permit posted at the front of Apple store. Not sure how long it’s been there. Some have asked about a remodel to this space. Looks like a $350k remodel in the works.

2D7BEB83-58C7-4988-BA25-A279853323D2.jpeg

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 09 Feb 2023 00:20

Ngl, I'd love for Apple to renovate their stores at Knox and NorthPark to have the same design as the Galleria and the old Willow Bend stores do.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Feb 2023 18:22

General retail updates for Knox District. Slow progress on Berkley’s Market and Mr Charles.

Ralph Lauren Home slated to open next weekend coming along quickly. This is on Cole in a space between Trader Joe’s and Black Optical. Not a large space, they have a bed on display inside that takes up most of the space!
60EFAE97-7F40-4BB5-8523-F54C6D78805A.jpeg

Here is a look at the new Montes Modern Charhouse (former Abacus). They have remodeled the facade and added windows and a narrow patio space on McKinney Ave side.
2C978B49-93F2-41FF-88D3-099960B76AAA.jpeg

YETI adding a door facing McKinney Ave.
35193FA4-FE67-4587-BECA-78C64BBB9C41.jpeg

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Apr 2023 22:04

Is Hari Mari moving or closing?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Apr 2023 10:18

Interesting tidbit... Assumed this would happen at some point.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ox-street/

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Apr 2023 14:16

This is definitely some prime real estate and for sure, it makes perfect sense that at some point it was going to get developed. I do hope they opt to at least keep the facade of the building Chuy's is in. I don't know it's historical background but it's been here at least as long as I have (which is forever) and I'd hate to see it go!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 12 Apr 2023 14:45

I seem to have a memory of when Chuy's took that space they actually removed some of the bricks in the facade to illicit that "old town" Mexican restaurant look/vibe. Is that a real memory or did I dream it? I love the original structures of Chuy's and the mattress store next door. Perhaps the redevelopment could keep the faces and build around it (similar to the Lamps Plus/Mashburns locale). It would allow some remnant of what Knox street was in the past to live on. Reality is that time marches ever onward. Change is inevitable. Time will tell.

Either way, I agree, this change was a future certainty. I am glad that it is a company who is already invested/involved in the neighborhood. I am glad it is a company who has the wherewithal to make things happen. I wonder if this if good or bad news for the proposed redevelopment one block south at McKinney/Armstrong.

And I have to add the obligatory, "yet another reason to open the Knox/Henderson DART station."

EDIT: While I’m dreaming, how about a Trammel Crow deck park between Knox and Fitzhugh!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Apr 2023 18:49

LongonBigD wrote:I seem to have a memory of when Chuy's took that space they actually removed some of the bricks in the facade to illicit that "old town" Mexican restaurant look/vibe. Is that a real memory or did I dream it?

On the patio, I think so!!

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 17 May 2023 18:45

Hari Mari is now..... gone? That was a quick venture.

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 19 May 2023 12:15

Even if their flip flops are pricey, I never understood how that location made sense given the rent AND the size of the space.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 19 May 2023 15:58

interestedobserver wrote:Even if their flip flops are pricey, I never understood how that location made sense given the rent AND the size of the space.

It was a big step for a small company. I had never heard of them until they opened. I understand their flip flops are good quality, but I don't think they were storefront ready.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 May 2023 12:11

Looks like Boll & Branch will be taking the Hari Mari space...

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023019920

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 May 2023 14:43

That sounds like a much better plan than fancy flip-flops! I have never been in that building, but I would go in to a Boll & Branch.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 May 2023 18:02

I miss Parachute!

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 02 Jul 2023 15:22

They seem to be getting things ready for the dig!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 03 Jul 2023 21:57

I'm not sure if this animation is from a previous design or not, but I thought I should share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_teWtuk-57g

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Jul 2023 22:27

That's very cool but yes, it's an older design iteration. The office building on Knox that incorporates the former Mashburn facade is probably the closest thing from that video to the current design.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jul 2023 23:06

So the area along the trail to the South will be empty?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 04 Jul 2023 12:41

Very cool. It does seem to be an old, prior iteration. I like the look of this and how it is less dense along the trail before the addition of the apartment building parallel to the trail. Interesting to see all the future (?) towers lining the north side of Knox from the trail all the way to McKinney Ave (which those properties are now controlled by this same partnership). Hate the moniker…Katy Square.

The most telling indicators of the age of this video is that Weirs is still just a furniture store/parking lot and also, RH Gallery didn’t exist yet.