Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

LongonBigD

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Jun 2022 20:05

RE: MSD project at Knox/Travis

I finally took the time to listen to the City Planning Commission meeting link provided below. Learned a couple of things. Mashburns (old Lamps Plus) facade will be “preserved”—it has already been reported that Mashburns will be dislocated as a result. Sidewalk, street parking and lighting improvements will extend south along Travis all the way to Armstrong at the expense of MSD (including in front of Cafe Madrid—a different owner).

The most interesting fact highlighted was that the height increase request to 399’ (current zoning allows up to 240’) will result in the tallest building along US 75 traveling north from this development site until you reach Kansas City. Hadn’t occurred to me, but sounds right.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 25 Jun 2022 21:42

Tulsa has taller buildings than KC, so that's as far as it goes

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jun 2022 09:11

I45Tex wrote:Tulsa has taller buildings than KC, so that's as far as it goes

Good catch. (And Tulsa has 6 buildings taller than the one proposed here.)

Even if it was true, that was a pretty lame claim to make.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Jun 2022 11:47

Tucy wrote:

For the record, the developer did not make this claim, a Dallas planning commissioner made it. I didn’t take it as a boast.

THe commissioner seemed to be lamenting that once again, exceptions were being requested for zoning limits long in place. His concern seemed to be that they are approving this specific request due to the quality of the development and the amenities the developer is making available to the community (new park abutting the trail, restrooms available to Katy Trail users, pedestrian oriented, etc). His fear is that the next developer won’t offer those compromises, but only say, “you let MSD build 400’ I’m only asking for the same.”

To me, this strengthened the argument that it is way past time to revise PD 193.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 29 Jul 2022 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 26 Jun 2022 12:07

Tucy wrote:

Even more lame because U.S. 75 doesn't pass through Kansas City. It goes through Topeka, about an hour to the west of KC.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jun 2022 12:36

OrangeMike wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Even more lame because U.S. 75 doesn't pass through Kansas City. It goes through Topeka, about an hour to the west of KC.

That's funny. Since they were ignoring Tulsa (and why not ignore Tulsa?), they could have claimed all the way to Omaha...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jul 2022 09:43

Apartment builder Kairoi Residential is adding to its Dallas development deals
With projects in Uptown and Oak Cliff, the builder now heads to Knox Street.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ent-deals/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Jul 2022 10:29

This will be a nice addition. A lot of those older buildings that are not aging well, will most likely be replaced in coming years.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Jul 2022 11:20

This is much smaller than I was anticipating; however, it fits better in the immediate neighborhood. Leave the towers to Knox street and NCX for now. From the info in the DMN article, it will be very similar to The Hudson (at McKinney and Monticello)—perhaps too similar. There are now several GFF designed mid-rise MF properties in this neighborhood with this same look (Lyra, Hudson, Knox Heights, Vidorra and Broadstone). Armstrong at Knox (red brick) is noticeable for NOT being cream/beige with gray/black accents.

Love the underground parking. Also glad to see more of the old apts which were not well-maintained replaced.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Aug 2022 17:58

I worked at The Hudson and did the leasing when it opened. We def had lots of people looking for something and not caring about the price. The kind where you don't even tell them the price cause they don't care cause it's not a problem. Lots of people who lived in the Park Cities who either needed a luxury apartment while their house was rebuilt, divorcees with million-dollar budgets, and families looking to shop for houses in the Park Cities but wanted to land nearby for a year while they looked. Boutique and larger seem more in line with the market in that area. Yeah, rent is too damn high in Dallas, but this part of the market expects to be able to fit a king-sized bed dresser, bedroom lounging chair, and a walk-in closet. The Hudson was nice but was still cramped for that kind of customer in many of their floorplans. We had people begging for a dining room, and they were not elderly people they were people with a desire for serious dining space separated from the kitchen, and apartments are not designed like that anymore.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”