Knox District / Knox Park

thedogisnova

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby thedogisnova » 23 Jun 2017 08:30

Austin55 wrote:Are the existing apartments at 4805 Mckinney on google maps still there? Seems a 5 story, GFF designed project is proposed for that site by Trinsic Residential. Called "The Hudson Apartments".

Permits from last week confirm this!
4805 MCKINNEY AVE
The Hudson
5-6 stories of residential

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Jun 2017 15:45

CRE_Investor wrote:http://dallas.towers.net/2017/06/23/hudson-trinsic-residential/

Wow sidewalk improvements. Nice.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 29 Jun 2017 19:01

Weir's Furniture expanding its Farmers Branch store as it preps for Knox Street plans

Weir's Furniture is taking a first step in its plan to redevelop its prime Knox Street location.
The Dallas-based retailer's outlet and small warehouse at 4510 Buena Vista St., just a block from the Weir's Furniture flagship store, will close July 8.
In early July, the company's Farmers Branch outlet store at 4800 Spring Valley Road will almost triple in size.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... reet-plans

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 Jun 2017 22:04

California eyewear brand sets sights on Dallas for first Texas store.

Garrett Leight California Optical will open its fifth freestanding retail store — and first Texas location — at 3109 Knox St., next to the Apple store.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city- ... ical-knox/

dwight

Postby dwight » 02 Jul 2017 17:59

Did Steven Alan close? knoxdallas.org is saying it has probably closed for good...is that true?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 12 Jul 2017 18:18

[/]https://candysdirt.com/2017/07/12/knox-knox-whos-there-oak-lawn-committee-gets-glimpse-of-fab-retail-hotel-and-sigh-more-apartments/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Jul 2017 18:37

Awesome!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 12 Jul 2017 21:32

Wow! That's a lot of news (and activity) for Cole between Knox and Oliver. Love the RH and proposed guesthouse. I think we have all suspected something similar from RH for this space for a while. The RH store will continue to elevate Knox as a top tier retail destination.

I'm not convinced on the apartment building proposed in the next block (Broadstone?). Who wants a 900 sq ft apt with no bedroom window or balcony? Hoping this gets modified. That side of Cole is currently occupied by Don Knobler owned, aged apartment buildings. What does this mean for his other holdings in the neighborhood? Is he ready to cash out? More change coming for this area?

One block over, I had another thought about Travis St. Others have questioned the delay for the new retail/apt project coming from Sarofim at Travis/Knox. Hopefully they are working a deal with Weirs to acquire the warehouse plot??? That way Sarofim can expand/enlarge their project. Just my thoughts. I remember voicing my concern that Weirs was holding out and that their space was almost unusable as a stand alone property. This could be a win win.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 13 Jul 2017 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Jul 2017 22:41

Perhaps that would explain Weirs vacating that building and expanding in North Dallas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Jul 2017 22:43

Wow, some great changes coming to the area, thanks for sharing!

LongonBigD wrote:I'm not convinced on the apartment building proposed in the next block (Broadstone?). Who wants a 900 sq ft apt with no bedroom window or balcony? Hoping this gets modified.

I agree, the proposed apartment sounds a bit peculiar. Perhaps they are trying to deliver brand new apartments at a more modest price? Doubtful seeing as how all other apartments are marketing themselves as 'luxury', but, if this apartment also plans on being luxury, it'll be a hard sell without balconies or bedroom windows (in some units).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2017 11:02

A lot of the apartments in town have the no window bedroom layout actually. Sometimes it's in historical buildings like the Butler Brothers where they have to work with the windows they have and still fit in the number of units they want without adjusting the layout of the building. Think about it if you wanted one place in your apartment without windows it would be the bedroom and/or bathroom. My roommate keeps blackout curtains on his and he keeps them closed 99% of the time. I've seen new construction do the port hole windows that allow living room window light in as well. It's not that big of a deal at all. This was a case where the writer saw something they didn't like and thought it was worth mentioning.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2017 11:06

R1070 wrote:Perhaps that would explain Weirs vacating that building and expanding in North Dallas.

What they have said was that they will continue to have a store here but wish to replace the current outdated building. Of course replacing the building means the store would have to close during construction but so far they have been adamant about having a store on Knox as part of a larger project on the site.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 Jul 2017 19:07

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
R1070 wrote:Perhaps that would explain Weirs vacating that building and expanding in North Dallas.

What they have said was that they will continue to have a store here but wish to replace the current outdated building. Of course replacing the building means the store would have to close during construction but so far they have been adamant about having a store on Knox as part of a larger project on the site.

I was thinking of the warehouse building on Buena Vista being vacated/redeveloped. Weirs needs to stay on Knox. They are an institution like HP Pharmacy. The store has been too cramped for as long as I remember.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 Jul 2017 23:04

I was referring to the warehouse as well. That will be leaving the Knox neighborhood.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 09 Aug 2017 15:25

thedogisnova wrote:
Austin55 wrote:Are the existing apartments at 4805 Mckinney on google maps still there? Seems a 5 story, GFF designed project is proposed for that site by Trinsic Residential. Called "The Hudson Apartments".

Permits from last week confirm this!
4805 MCKINNEY AVE
The Hudson
5-6 stories of residential

Construction fencing up around The Chateau. Clearing out the old units in preparation for demo it seems.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 09 Aug 2017 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 09 Aug 2017 15:33

LongonBigD wrote:Small office building updates from Knox area.

This is an announcement for a small project on Buena Vista a block south of Knox Street backing to the Katy Trail at Buena Vista and Armstrong (immediately south of 2M building). IMG_1578.jpeg

It appears the lot is cleared for this project to begin.

IMG_1578.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Aug 2017 21:50

Duplicate post.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 16 Aug 2017 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Aug 2017 22:10

LongonBigD wrote:One block over, I had another thought about Travis St. Others have questioned the delay for the new retail/apt project coming from Sarofim at Travis/Knox. Hopefully they are working a deal with Weirs to acquire the warehouse plot??? That way Sarofim can expand/enlarge their project. Just my thoughts. I remember voicing my concern that Weirs was holding out and that their space was almost unusable as a stand alone property. This could be a win win.

Hmmmm......look at this.

As published by dallastowers.net
At a recent Dallas Planning Commission meeting..."a preliminary plat, Travis-Knox Addition, was also approved for Travis Block Holding Company LLC...the plat assembles 14 lots to create a 2.25-acre tract that is bordered by Travis Street to the east, Knox Street to the north and Armstrong Avenue to the south.

As yet, there is no zoning case attached to this project, but the contact information for Travis Block Holding traces back to an executive at Sarofim Realty Advisors that specializes in multifamily development. The properties within the new plat include some surface parking and several buildings that date back to the 1930s. It’s going to be interesting to see how neighbors react to plans for this site."

Are these the lots we already knew about or does this include Weirs?

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 20 Aug 2017 07:23

Just stumbled on a video rendering of the Sarofim development in the works at Knox looks quite nice!!!!

https://youtu.be/d8-CuQITbuQ (Video was pulled, Sorry folks)
Last edited by jegchachi on 27 Aug 2017 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Aug 2017 10:13

Wow, that's a freaking cool! ^^

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Aug 2017 11:18

Love that. Looks like the Mashburn store will move into the new development. I imagine Kate Spade will move there to when that property is developed along with the On The Border property.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 20 Aug 2017 12:56

If Highland Park residents had a fit over The Katy being 7 stories right along the Katy Trail, I cannot imagine the fight they will put up against the high rise in that video. I personally would love it. It would be cool if they match the brickwork/style with The Armstrong that was just built a block over:

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Aug 2017 14:42

^It almost seems like Uptown and Knox have been such a flying success that the Park Cities Nimby rally cry has finally bawled itself out. The seven story apartment on Katy Trail was resoundingly approved -- might have been approved at 10 or 12 stories -- and the benefits of having this chic shopping destination expand is tantalizing. Armstrong to McCommas!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Aug 2017 09:18

The video is made to sell the retail space to potential tenants since it focuses on showing the access to a certain customer base and spends most of its time showing off the retail zone. Looks pretty nice but yeah I expect there to be some push back on the tower and the retail as bringing the apocalypse of parking and traffic. Not to mention the city will be doing the street redo on Knox in the coming year. Even though I believe Sarofirm agreed to that project as well since it will help with traffic.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 21 Aug 2017 11:32

The HP NIMBY's need to just get over it. That area is going to continue to become more dense and the only way is up. They should be happy that it is a higher end version of Uptown. The land is in the City of Dallas and and not Highland Park. I can get over the Preston Hollow NIMBY's and their push back at Preston Center even though I don't agree much more than I can get over non-residents try to dictate how another city grows.

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 21 Aug 2017 12:44

Speaking of which, just like the Dream Hotel in Uptown, what has happened to the Oliver from Southern Development?
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 21 Aug 2017 15:23

WOW if this is what goes there then it was worth the wait.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Aug 2017 15:14

Funny that the video has now been made private... Obviously they didn't want it getting out. Pretty awesome though! I can't imagine having this development actually built along with the proposed new Restoration Hardware. This is shaping up to be my favorite area in Dallas!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Aug 2017 16:11

Kelley USA wrote: This is shaping up to be my favorite area in Dallas!

Move back.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Aug 2017 22:42

Haha, maybe one day Tam! It's still a little cheaper here in Las Colinas. Do miss Uptown though!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 27 Aug 2017 21:06

There is a website for The Hudson (4805 McKinney Ave) up and running. http://Www.thehudsondallas.com..

This one will have underground parking only (according to Trinsic's website) similar to Knox Heights down the street. This makes it more neighborhood friendly I think.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 28 Aug 2017 09:40

It will have underground parking, a 15' setback from the street with sidewalks and trees, and a few first floor units that have stoops opening to the street with no fence. I wish the sidewalk was wider, but it's generally good urban design compared with lots of what is being built.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Aug 2017 13:51

citygeek wrote:Speaking of which, just like the Dream Hotel in Uptown, what has happened to the Oliver from Southern Development?

A construction trailer was delivered today (Oliver/Central, not Dream Hotel).

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Sep 2017 19:37

I don't remember seeing these renderings of the "Room & Board" store coming to McKinney Ave (south of Knox). I found these on R&B's site. I will forgive their story beginning with "Yeehaw" as just another retailer that (incorrectly) stereotypes all Texans - at least they are bringing modern furniture. Time will tell if they try to cover a sofa in Longhorn hide. I remember when Borders Books and Music came to town, they had a chair formed from Longhorn horns and hide. Yeehaw, indeed.

One pic is from McKinney Ave elevation (one with black car). I think the second depicts another entrance from the back for those who require one of 17 reserved parking spaces.

Here is the link to R&B announcement. https://www.roomandboard.com/blog/2017/04/were-coming-to-dallas/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 13 Sep 2017 17:20

DMN story about Trinsic's new apartment building on McKinney Ave, The Hudson. Here's a link to the story and a different rendering. This one will be literally next door to retail space to its north. I wonder if they will have ground floor retail like Knox Heights one block south. I think it would work once this and The McKenzie and The Katy (on Cole) open. That corner is already hot with Henry's Majestic and Chelsey Corner.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/09/11/new-apartments-way-near-dallas-knox-street

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Sep 2017 22:22

This monstrosity is being proposed for McKinney and Hester avenues (north of Knox Street) . Full story here: https://candysdirt.com/2017/09/13/good- ... mixed-bag/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Sep 2017 22:59

Put All parking underground and a call it a day. Design (not including garage) is decent

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 Sep 2017 23:05

Ummmm, NO. Far too tall. Units too small. Four stories of parking garage...on McKinney Ave...directly across the street from The Hudson which is underground parking and ground level units? Really? I'm just gobsmacked by this proposal. Suspected those lots would be in play soon.

Why does the rendering have 1708 McKinney Ave on the facade? That address would be at McKinney at Woodall Rodgers.

Is this a case of "let's propose X and they will approve Y, cause it's better?"
Last edited by LongonBigD on 15 Sep 2017 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 15 Sep 2017 05:32

The parking lot definitely needs to go. But too tall and too small?

This is the type of development Dallas needs to progress as a liveable urban city. Smaller units will hopefully contribute to lower rent. I have the feeling some of the complaintants have never lived in a city like Boston or London?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Sep 2017 08:21

"For rent" is the biggest problem I have with this one, Candy's Dirt talks a little about that, too. "For Sale" is far more appropriate for what this neighborhood has become and is becoming.

Underground parking for sure, but the small units could be combined at some point. Tall is fits the neighborhood. Allowing tall-tall near Central and only tall next to Katy Trail I guess would be okay, but this skinny wedge of Dallas - between Central, Katy Trail, Cole Park, McCommmas Blvd -- well, it's for high rises.

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Sep 2017 09:40

lakewoodhobo wrote:Image

This monstrosity is being proposed for McKinney and Hester avenues (north of Knox Street) . Full story here: https://candysdirt.com/2017/09/13/good- ... mixed-bag/

This "monstrosity" will fit in nicely with the other nearby monstrosity, the Mckenzie. When did you guys get so NIMBYish? I like it! :)

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Sep 2017 09:55

It looks like the Alexan

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Sep 2017 10:06

The McKenzie is surrounded by office buildings and commercial property. It acts like an exclamation point on the north end of McKinney Ave.

This project would work so much better (sans garage) if the K-H dart station existed.

I too think most of these apartments going up around here will eventually convert to condos. As pointed out in the piece, 600-700 sq ft units will be difficult to sell except to SMU parents.

Im not so adamant about my dislike for this that I would organize a resistance at city hall. I just think this is bait trotted out to get what they really want approved (increased density than currently allowed). We shall see what the final result becomes.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 15 Sep 2017 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 15 Sep 2017 10:11

Why does anyone care if it's rentals instead of condos? That's a funny sentiment compared to out here in CA, where the word "condo" is a legit slur.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Sep 2017 10:28

Too tall? You're acting as if it were 37 stories.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 15 Sep 2017 11:40

That pocket from the Katy Trail over to central bound by HP to the north and Knox to the south is ripe for exactly more of this type of height and density. Take the streetcar through Knox and turn it at Hester and you have connected it all up. It is mainly the Highland Park side that is freaking out over this and who cares they can stay in their 1950's bubble. Dallas is moving on and up.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Sep 2017 12:20

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Too tall? You're acting as if it were 37 stories.

I stand by my statement. The proposed lot coverage is 78% (zoned for 60%) and 350 units (zoned for 60). This bldg is too tall for this lot under current zoning. If we want NYC style bldgs which soar straight up from the sidewalk, zone it for that.

Isn't this the biggest complaint about DT Dallas' 80's skyscrapers? They soar straight up without human scale and interaction? How is this different? It's a four story parking garage shoved out to the sidewalk. I can tolerate that on Fitzhugh (Aura) or NCX (Oliver/Central) as those are not particularly pedestrian oriented streets. This stretch of McKinney is currently very walkable (hint- a desirable feature for corp relocations).

I actively supported (Oliver/Central) at 20 stories DIRECTLY across the alley from me. I'm not height adverse for my neighborhood, but if this developer wants 14 stories, they need to buy more land.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Sep 2017 12:59

CRE_Investor wrote:It will have underground parking, a 15' setback from the street with sidewalks and trees, and a few first floor units that have stoops opening to the street with no fence. I wish the sidewalk was wider, but it's generally good urban design compared with lots of what is being built.

THIS. The Hudson will be directly across the street.

PS. The trolley will run right in front of these and turn back south two blocks north.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 15 Sep 2017 14:23

LongonBigD wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Too tall? You're acting as if it were 37 stories.

I stand by my statement. The proposed lot coverage is 78% (zoned for 60%) and 350 units (zoned for 60). This bldg is too tall for this lot under current zoning. If we want NYC style bldgs which soar straight up from the sidewalk, zone it for that.

Isn't this the biggest complaint about DT Dallas' 80's skyscrapers? They soar straight up without human scale and interaction? How is this different? It's a four story parking garage shoved out to the sidewalk. I can tolerate that on Fitzhugh (Aura) or NCX (Oliver/Central) as those are not particularly pedestrian oriented streets. This stretch of McKinney is currently very walkable (hint- a desirable feature for corp relocations).

I actively supported (Oliver/Central) at 20 stories DIRECTLY across the alley from me. I'm not height adverse for my neighborhood, but if this developer wants 14 stories, they need to buy more land.

Soaring straight up and the quality of human-scale interaction have nothing to do with each other. Here's a random 30-story zero-setback tower: Image

Here's a random 50-story zero-setback tower: Image

Setback requirements and lot coverage restrictions tend to result in things like this that are less interactive with pedestrians, exactly because they have to be removed from the street: Image

I'm not saying that this rendering has good pedestrian-interaction as currently designed, but that has nothing to do with the lot coverage.