Knox District / Knox Park

tanzoak

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby tanzoak » 15 Sep 2017 14:29

And I'm pretty sure Tivo meant that 14 stories was not "too tall" in the context of an urban core environment, not that he thought the current zoning allowed for it.

Dtown214

Postby Dtown214 » 15 Sep 2017 15:42

I like it!

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Sep 2017 00:05

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 25 Sep 2017 00:28

The Hudson 9-24-17

ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Around My City, on Flickr

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 14 Nov 2017 22:10

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/11/14/knox-streets-familiar-weirs-furniture-block-getting-high-rise-makeover

Knox Street's familiar Weir's Furniture block is getting a high-rise makeover

Dallas' popular Knox Street business district is set for a makeover with a major new project.

The owners of Weir's Furniture and Atlanta-based developer Geyer Morris Co. plan to build a high-rise retail and office development on the site of the almost 70-year-old store.

For several months, the Weir family and the developers have worked to design the project, which preserves the Highland Park Soda Fountain building — more than a century old — on the corner of Knox and Travis streets.

"We are focused on saving that soda fountain building — that's been an original desire of ours," said Geyer Morris' Justin Schoellkopf. "We've let this dictate the design of the rest of the project."

Architects GFF and ArchiTexas have designed a mixed-use development that would wrap around the two-story soda fountain building.

The lower floors would have retail and office and step back from the street to a 12-story office high-rise.

Parking for the 50,000 square feet of retail space and offices in the tower would be in a six-level underground garage.

"It's expensive, but we wanted to do it," Schoellkopf said.

The planned building would be the first major office addition to the Knox Street area since the 1980s.

Schoellkopf said the offices would be tailored for family businesses, companies that want to be close to the next-door Park Cities and other firms.

Construction could start as soon as late next year.

Weir's would close its Knox Street location temporarily while the development is underway, said CEO Mark Moore.

"This is our birthplace," Moore said. "It's always been our family's vision to stay here."

Image]

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Nov 2017 23:48

Holy crap, what an awesome looking project. A very nice surprise for this area. Well done!

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Nov 2017 05:47

Definitely! What a great addition, and I love they're going with underground parking and obviously that they're keeping the Soda Fountain building!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Nov 2017 09:43

That's two towers supposedly coming next to each other here. the Sarofim Residential/Retail at Travis and Knox and this Weirs Office Tower. Also, Restoration Hardware will build out a denser hotel on their land down the block.

Highland Park is going to be pissed if both the Sarofim and Weirs Tower get built. The attack of the 10-12 story towers!!! Oh the humanity.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 15 Nov 2017 13:07

https://candysdirt.com/2017/10/04/alliance-goes-round-three-with-the-oak-lawn-committee-with-new-vision-for-armstrong-and-cole-project/

Alliance Goes Round 3 With Oak Lawn Committee, Offers New Vision for Armstrong And Cole Project

You may recall the two prior OLC meetings where this project on Armstrong and Cole from Alliance Residential was presented (here, here). It was a thuddingly dense building with 340 apartments in a combined five- and seven- story design. The lot was crowded and crammed with what appeared to be wall-to-wall units.

Last night, they returned with a vastly different configuration. The same 340-unit density, but they siphoned units off the back 80 percent of the lot and placed them in a high-rise on Armstrong Avenue. This left the very northern part of the property with a 22-story, 240-foot high-rise with the remainder of the property within MF-2’s height of three stories. It was a pretty neat trick that I personally thought was a heck of a lot better than the prior iterations.

The tower could either face east-west or north-south. Personally, the north-south configuration looked better to me, but I’m just an audience member at these shindigs. I’m showing both so you can have your own armchair opinions. Sure, a tower is probably more controversial for some, but I liked the freer space in the back and thought it was a decent trade-off.

Of course, I’m not the keeper of the keys of PD-193, so the OLC’s ultimate thoughts may not mesh with my more short-term, eye candy impressions.

They also came to the table with a seemingly more generous affordable housing component to the plan. What was 10 units for folks making <80 percent of the median income in Dallas has been upped to a full 10 percent of their 340 units (that’s 34 for the coffee deprived). And these tenants would only have to make <50 percent of the median income and they’d take vouchers.

The OLC had a lot of questions on the affordable component specifically revolving around the longevity of these units’ availability in the program. They didn’t want the developer to sell the project and have the affordable units vanish. Alliance representatives said that they’d write it into their zoning so they’d be there as long as the building stood. Good answer.

The other more telling, and saddening, question was whether the city had formulated wording for this type of affordable component being inserted into a development. No. The City of Dallas remains too lazy to even get guidelines ironed out and available to developers, let alone actual policies. “Stuck in committee” is the catch-all phrase most used.

After the OLC was done peppering their questions, I had one question … the last iteration had one-bedroom units whose walls didn’t reach the ceiling (no window). Do those units now have a window in their bedrooms that allow them to have four to-the-ceiling walls? Unfortunately, the Alliance representative had left before I could buttonhole him after the meeting.

Original Design

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Nov 2017 15:57

That's a lot of news in one day for this little neighborhood. I like the Weir's proposal. It's great that they are keeping the soda fountain building. I'm surprised at 12-stories directly on Knox, but it seems to be the trend (RH and Sarofim going up, up, up).

The new Armstrong/Cole proposal is so much better, but could still use some tweaking. They are moving in the right direction. The new concept is a good compromise (height at one end of the property--stepping down to 3-stories at the south end). I thought the days of 3-story construction around here were disappearing due to land costs. Of course a 20-story tower kills the downtown views of all those dentist offices to the north at 4514 Cole tower.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Nov 2017 20:02

Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Nov 2017 20:45

R1070 wrote:Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

Where in downtown? OTB would be cool there.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Nov 2017 21:35

R1070 wrote:Also remember On the Border will be moving to downtown so that the lot on Knox can be redeveloped.

I didnt remember about OTB relo. Not surprised, the writing’s been on the wall since Chili’s exit. If so, that’s a very nice sized lot (assuming parking lot and Kate Spade included).

Is there someone who knows how well the C&B store does in sales? Any chance that store would be part of a redevelopment of that entire block? Hate to see it.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Nov 2017 20:54

The On the Border and Kate Spade buildings with rear parking would go for a mixed use development and C&B is supposed to stay put. The On The Border is said to open in the West End area next year.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Nov 2017 21:58

R1070 wrote:The On the Border and Kate Spade buildings with rear parking would go for a mixed use development and C&B is supposed to stay put. The On The Border is said to open in the West End area next year.

Wasn't On the Border already in the West End until closing a a few years ago?

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 18 Nov 2017 16:20

https://candysdirt.com/2017/11/15/weirs-furniture-engages-olc-rebuild-knox-home-compete-coming-restoration-hardware/

Weir’s Furniture Engages OLC to Rebuild Knox Home to Compete With Coming Restoration Hardware

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 18 Nov 2017 20:04

The Eataly rumor appears again. It could actually work in this neighborhood.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Nov 2017 20:45

I think Eataly would be great on Knox. I also like that the Travis street parking will be converted to parallel parking along the HP Pharmacy.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 18 Nov 2017 23:13

It's clear that the Highland Park Soda Fountain building will get some much needed restoration, but does this mean that the restaurant will close??? It is currently the oldest restaurant in Dallas and quite charming. It would be a terrible loss to see it go.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Nov 2017 08:58

It was my understanding that the HP Soda Fountain will stay in operation as it is today even if the building gets a little TLC.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Nov 2017 09:55

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That's two towers supposedly coming next to each other here. the Sarofim Residential/Retail at Travis and Knox and this Weirs Office Tower. Also, Restoration Hardware will build out a denser hotel on their land down the block.

Highland Park is going to be pissed if both the Sarofim and Weirs Tower get built. The attack of the 10-12 story towers!!! Oh the humanity.

Parkies have probably realized their world improves as this slice of Dallas builds up and as nice a place to live as the Park Cities can provide, Knox-McCommas is on track to match the quality of life, just without a lawn. Cole Park will be a different place in a generation. Such a strong retail destination forming on Knox, and outstanding evolution of the Dallas marketplace. It's really coming together.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Nov 2017 12:37

Curious to know where that On The Border news came from.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Nov 2017 20:40

lakewoodhobo wrote:Curious to know where that On The Border news came from.

From people that work at On the Border.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Nov 2017 21:17

Maybe Chuy's will move back downtown.... it's totally nice to have the affordable Tex-Mex on Knox, but that corner is calling for something much much more. Besides, the downtown Chuy's location was x10 better.

LongonBigD

Sarofim is selling it’s Knox area properties

Postby LongonBigD » 19 Dec 2017 20:18

On Sunday I noticed a presentation set up in the old Sur La Table space. Couldn’t see much of it but clearly it was the following DMN story.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... treet-sale

Is this good or bad? Sarofim has been very involved in the transformation of Knox Street over the years. I guess that sad sad old 7-11 is never going away at Knox and Travis. One thing I could read on the presentation board was, “Crate and Barrel redevelopment opportunity. Lease expires 2027.’

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 Dec 2017 15:04

R1070 wrote:Anyone know what the two other stores will be next to Marine Layer on Knox where Chili's used to be?

Aēsop Skincare
Aēsop was established in Melbourne in 1987. Our objective has always been to formulate skin, hair and body care products of the finest quality; we investigate widely to source plant-based and laboratory-made ingredients, and use only those with a proven record of safety and efficacy. In each of our unique stores, informed consultants are pleased to introduce our range and to guide your selections. Alongside our commercial activities, we explore and support the arts as an avenue through which to inspire, learn and communicate.

&

Velvet by Graham & Spencer
It began in 1997 as an aspiration to create fashion forward tee shirts that embodied the laid-back luxe of LA style. Today it has evolved into full collections recognized for their meticulously crafted, clean elevated staples. Helmed by Creative Directors Jenny Graham & Toni Spencer, the collections are created using only the finest fabrics and are manufactured primarily in the United States. Velvet by Graham & Spencer can be found in boutiques and premiere department stores nationwide and internationally.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Jan 2018 17:30

Michael Dell, Dallas-based retail property firm in talks to buy Knox Street buildings
Austin billionaire Michael Dell has his sights set on several blocks of Dallas' busy Knox Street business district.

A real estate investment partnership that includes tech tycoon Dell and Dallas-based property firm Retail Connection is in talks to acquire more than a dozen buildings and land along Knox, Travis Street and McKinney and Cole avenues just east of Highland Park.

The sale, potentially one of the priciest such property transactions, could be as much as $250 million in value.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ldings-buy

I'm not really sure what this means for the actual properties, but good to see that, even with this being such an expensive deal there seems to already be interest for it. I'm not surprised, as it is some prime real estate, but still good to have it validated.

LongonBigD

The Hudson / Trinsic project

Postby LongonBigD » 10 Jan 2018 19:23

Crane went up today for The Hudson, the Trinsic project on McKinney south of Monticello.

Admins -time for a separate thread for this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 09:17

I would have expected Trammel Crow to jump on this property yesterday and throw up one of their throwaway properties.

ebird

Postby ebird » 17 Jan 2018 07:05

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... able-units

A new apartment project in the works for Dallas' Knox Street district will bring affordable rental units as part of the deal.
Developer Alliance Residential plans to build the 335-unit project on a 2-acre site at Cole and Armstrong avenues.
It's just across the street from the 17-story Highland Park Place office tower. And the new Trader Joe's grocery and apartment block is on the opposite corner.
The Alliance project would replace townhouses and older apartment buildings that face Cole Avenue.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Jan 2018 10:30

ebird wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/01/17/knox-street-district-apartment-project-will-mix-affordable-units

A new apartment project in the works for Dallas' Knox Street district will bring affordable rental units as part of the deal.
Developer Alliance Residential plans to build the 335-unit project on a 2-acre site at Cole and Armstrong avenues.
It's just across the street from the 17-story Highland Park Place office tower. And the new Trader Joe's grocery and apartment block is on the opposite corner.
The Alliance project would replace townhouses and older apartment buildings that face Cole Avenue.

This is the project talked about at the Knox: Armstrong &Cole thread.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Apr 2018 12:25

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Apr 2018 13:01

Kelley USA wrote:The Dell Deal is Done!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... nox-street

What difference does that make for the area? Does MSD tend to further investment in their holdings through redevelopment(s)?

If not what's the big excitement about? It's just another property in their portfolio.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 16 Apr 2018 19:49

Follain, clean/natural/organic beauty and skincare boutique will debut to Knox-Henderson fall 2018 as the first Texas boutique.

https://follain.com/

https://www.beautyindependent.com/folla ... -bethesda/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Apr 2018 19:36

Noticed a couple of things walking around tonight.

There is a building permit in the vacated “Erdos at Home (née IO Metro)” space on McKinney Ave just south of Apple store. Permit says furniture store (no news there). The applicant is “RH Modern.” Is this a temporary storefront while they demolish the existing RH and build the new Restoration Hardware/hotel? That’s a much smaller space but I think the two adjacent storefronts are also vacant. BTW: Room and Board is coming along nicely across the street. Shouldn’t be too much longer.

Next block north: The last retail space on the ground floor of Knox Heights apt bldg is being finished out for Ka Thai. Fingers crossed, I think this is a good space for restaurants. It will continue the shops/restaurants north of Knox.

Finally...on Travis: the paper has been removed from the storefronts recently purchased by Michael Dell Co (old Sur la Table, Katana, bar I can’t recall name of). I wouldn’t think they would remove paper to demolish. Perhaps they might lease until new plan is drawn up??

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 20 Apr 2018 22:40

The RH Modern store opens tomorrow, April 21st. It's only the second freestanding Modern store for RH outside of LA. It is temporary and will be joined by RH Baby & Child/ Teen later this spring. These are also temporary use till construction starts on the previously mentioned RH Flagship, which has gone through a few updates and changes- that of which I can't mention. There's a lot going on in the Knox Park district. I also noticed a Notice of Zoning change on the Weir's storefront. I'm guessing that project will be ramping up soon, which is exciting.

Butters

Postby Butters » 21 Apr 2018 21:57

Curious to know why some think Knox is such a cool retail street. Besides Apple, Lululemon, Sur La Table and Stag Provisions and some furniture stores I that’s all there really is. It’s the last place I ever think of shopping plus You won’t catch me walking it during the summer as there’s no shade.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Apr 2018 13:08

Aside from its charm, local history, relative walkability, uniqueness, and being much closer (and easier) than Northpark, I really can't think of the appeal. :)

Just because it's the last place *you* think of, surely you can still understand its appeal, especially to folks living in-town. It was the West Village before the West Village existed...one of the few alternatives to Highland Park Village.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Apr 2018 14:21

I love the Knox area and I'm excited to watch it transform to an even better area.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Apr 2018 15:57

eburress wrote:It was the West Village before the West Village existed...one of the few alternatives to Highland Park Village.

...funny, I lived on McKinney about half way between Knox and Fitzhugh for a while, and I got made when Crate n Barrel replaced the neighborhood grocery store. Knox has been a destination for generations, too, even had a good run as a flower power hippy hangout for a while.

Butters

Postby Butters » 22 Apr 2018 16:11

Eburress - Aside from its charm, local history, relative walkability, uniqueness, and being much closer (and easier) than Northpark, I really can't think of the appeal

Local History, Uniqueness? When did on the border, pottery barn, chueys, crate & barrel, Z gallerie, etc become unique lol. It’s just another Dallas street with some retail buildings. Deep Ellum has way more history and Henderson has more uniqueness than Knox St. I’ll spend the extra 5 minutes and shop at NorthPark where it’s one stop shopping under 1 air conditioned roof.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 22 Apr 2018 18:57

Butters wrote:Local History, Uniqueness? When did on the border, pottery barn, chueys, crate & barrel, Z gallerie, etc become unique lol. It’s just another Dallas street with some retail buildings. Deep Ellum has way more history and Henderson has more uniqueness than Knox St. I’ll spend the extra 5 minutes and shop at NorthPark where it’s one stop shopping under 1 air conditioned roof.

Maybe it had more uniqueness in the past before becoming gentrified? Still, I'll take Knox St. any day over an indoor shopping mall.

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Apr 2018 06:23

Butters wrote:Eburress - Aside from its charm, local history, relative walkability, uniqueness, and being much closer (and easier) than Northpark, I really can't think of the appeal

Local History, Uniqueness? When did on the border, pottery barn, chueys, crate & barrel, Z gallerie, etc become unique lol. It’s just another Dallas street with some retail buildings. Deep Ellum has way more history and Henderson has more uniqueness than Knox St. I’ll spend the extra 5 minutes and shop at NorthPark where it’s one stop shopping under 1 air conditioned roof.

Did you ask your original question so you would have something to argue?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Apr 2018 19:50

Wild About Harry's given notice to Vacate:
@wildaboutharrysdallas due to a dispute with our landlord on Knox street, Wild About Harrys has been given notice to vacate the Knox Street Store by May 15. We are actively looking for a new location in the HP area. Please visit our Hall Street store in Deep Ellum. Thank you to everyone for their loyalty and friendship to Harry and staff over the last 22 yrs, making Knox a great place to home. God Bless & Be Cool

https://www.facebook.com/wildaboutharry ... =3&theater

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Apr 2018 21:42

Geez. That's sad. The location had character before the center was remodeled. Now it's soulless. Hopefully they can recreate the nostalgic feeling of the pre-remodel store somewhere else.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Apr 2018 22:29

So sad!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Apr 2018 08:20

The landlord wanted them gone from the start cause they wanted the building to go upscale exclusively. I am not surprised a fight broke out and Wild About Harrys will have to move. You can tell they were probably told over and over again that the neighborhood was changing that they didn't fit in anymore blah blah. Speaking of local character Wild About Harry's was a part of Knox streets long history as a neighborhood center and a regional draw.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 Apr 2018 10:07

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The landlord wanted them gone from the start cause they wanted the building to go upscale exclusively. I am not surprised a fight broke out and Wild About Harrys will have to move. You can tell they were probably told over and over again that the neighborhood was changing that they didn't fit in anymore blah blah. Speaking of local character Wild About Harry's was a part of Knox streets long history as a neighborhood center and a regional draw.

This doesn't surprise me. Every since they re-developed this strip, Wild About Harry's just looked very odd and out of place.

It's a shame to see such a long term tenant leave, but hopefully they'll find somewhere else to move that is fitting for them.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Apr 2018 10:22

I am of the mind the only reason they were an odd fit was that the owners of the center made them out to be. They are a long-term tenant that best I can tell brings a ton of business from locals. The vision for the shopping center was more about getting rid of that kind of element and welcoming boutique high-end retail and pushing out the local element. Its a sad intersection of paths where the property owner just doesn't like their brand and doesn't want them around. If Paciugo showed up I am sure they would welcome them as the alternative because they are more refined to the property owners desires.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 24 Apr 2018 11:20

Knox is going all in on high end because that is the only level of retail that is growing in actual storefronts. The market for middle level retail is shrinking by the day and with the Knox area it is a perfect junction of money and location.