Knox District / Knox Park

Kelley USA

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Oct 2021 09:43

Love the project, but the architecture does little for me ( I know, sorry, just my opinion). A few things that I really like. All the parking is underground, that's huge! Also love the addition of a boutique hotel and 90K more sf of retail / restaurant. I can only imagine the type of tenants this might attract. This should also give us an idea as to what the rest of the area might look like over time as they tear down additional buildings along Knox.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Oct 2021 09:47

So I guess the large gray warehouse will be torn down soon.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Oct 2021 10:25

I actually do like some of the architecture. The columns in the 8-story building are reminiscent of The National (1401 Elm) downtown.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2021 10:38

lakewoodhobo wrote:I actually do like some of the architecture. The columns in the 8-story building are reminiscent of The National (1401 Elm) downtown.

Ditto, was my first thought.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 29 Oct 2021 11:15

Tnexster wrote:Image

So what street are we looking down in this picture? Trying to visual where this development will be and how everything might be oriented.

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 29 Oct 2021 11:51

I'm sure it's been said, but traffic on Knox and Travis will be a nightmare

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2021 11:59

potatocoins wrote:

So what street are we looking down in this picture? Trying to visual where this development will be and how everything might be oriented.

Good question, looking at the pics I have been trying to figure that out. I see some power lines in some of the pics so that provides a clue but still unsure. They need a top down rendering.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Oct 2021 12:04

I did not see any talk of new zoning needed do we think that the Park Cities will be able to cancel any of this? I am not saying I want it to be canceled just asking is there any chance they could throw a wrench into things even though they aren't Dallas residents. We know single family neighborhoods love to attack anything with density. Trammel Crow proposed a better project on that large plot in Lowest Greenville and when the neighborhood went berserk they just built something using the existing plat and zoning on the land and the neighborhood couldn't kill something already approved. This def makes Knox a it neighborhood and not a secret to anyone anymore.

Where is the food hall? lol

Park(Check)
Hotel(check)
Apartments(check)
Food Hall(...)

How will the project remain valuable without he sensational and totally unique Knox Food Hall...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Oct 2021 12:16

Also according to DCAD they own most of the land except for Cafe Madrid and the Sid Mashburn property.

beepboopdtown

Postby beepboopdtown » 29 Oct 2021 12:30

Tnexster wrote:
potatocoins wrote:

Good question, looking at the pics I have been trying to figure that out. I see some power lines in some of the pics so that provides a clue but still unsure. They need a top down rendering.

So, my guess is that we are looking north toward knox. This street/alley will run parallel to travis, sort of where there is/was an alley. Also, not sure if they own that small parking lot designated for trail users, but the renderings do seem to have it built over. Some of the architecture reminds me of the terminal condos further south on the trail at fitzhugh going in. Exciting project.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 29 Oct 2021 13:38

beepboopdtown wrote:So, my guess is that we are looking north toward knox. This street/alley will run parallel to travis, sort of where there is/was an alley. Also, not sure if they own that small parking lot designated for trail users, but the renderings do seem to have it built over. Some of the architecture reminds me of the terminal condos further south on the trail at fitzhugh going in. Exciting project.

I was going to guess that we are looking east toward Travis:
https://goo.gl/maps/nUXBWSqVhX1gZPz87

I haven't really taken an in-depth look at this project, so I could be way off on location and bearings.

Tordown

Postby Tordown » 29 Oct 2021 15:57

Existing zoning allows 240-ft height.

Tordown

Postby Tordown » 29 Oct 2021 15:57

And that street shot is looking north toward Knox between the two high-rise residential/hotel buildings.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Oct 2021 16:45

The phrase "Deep Dive" was used very loosely in this 4 paragraph story

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Oct 2021 19:25

I’m floored. I was expecting a step up based on the developer and partners, but this is beyond. Love that it’s all coming at once and with underground parking. It’s been construction central around here for a while, git er done!

Love the addition of condos above the hotel. It seems like they may have already considered HP complaining about the height by having the 8 and 6 story bldgs on the north and west sides of property then stepping up to 18 floors (not that HP gets a vote BTW). A flock of the wild green parrots lives near the power lines. I wonder if they will stay or relocate due to all the disruption.

The “hidden alley/street” is kind of odd, but if it serves as the loading area/entrance for the hotel, offices and residences, I don’t care. Keeping it out of the way and off Travis or Knox is actually a good idea.

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 30 Oct 2021 10:22

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I did not see any talk of new zoning needed do we think that the Park Cities will be able to cancel any of this? I am not saying I want it to be canceled just asking is there any chance they could throw a wrench into things even though they aren't Dallas residents. We know single family neighborhoods love to attack anything with density. Trammel Crow proposed a better project on that large plot in Lowest Greenville and when the neighborhood went berserk they just built something using the existing plat and zoning on the land and the neighborhood couldn't kill something already approved. This def makes Knox a it neighborhood and not a secret to anyone anymore.

Where is the food hall? lol

Park(Check)
Hotel(check)
Apartments(check)
Food Hall(...)

How will the project remain valuable without he sensational and totally unique Knox Food Hall...

They've tried before and failed.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2014/12 ... -mid-rise/

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 30 Oct 2021 11:25

Screw Highland Park. They can take all of their arrogance and shove it. Dallas needs the tax revenue, so it's called self-preservation.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 Oct 2021 11:43

I think the enough of the Parkies have figured out just how nice it will be to have a fully built up, high end, big city neighborhood on the other side of the Katy trail. I don't even think it's out of the question that a street car will route on Hillcrest through SMU to mockingbird station.

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Oct 2021 12:40

potatocoins wrote:

This is a curious shot for sure, but I believe this is an aerial view looking north down the drive that goes through the center of the development, from its south end towards the office building at Knox and Travis. It looks like the drive follows the path of the alleyway which current runs between the 7/11 and Mashburn. Travis is to the right and the Katy Trail and the new park are on the left.

I LOVE this development, by the way. It's frankly much better than any expectation I had for that spot. I just hope they decide to incorporate the Mashburn structure into the office building on Knox.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Oct 2021 17:46

eburress wrote:I LOVE this development, by the way. It's frankly much better than any expectation I had for that spot. I just hope they decide to incorporate the Mashburn structure into the office building on Knox.

The Mashburn/former Lamps Plus building is also owned by MSD Capital’s LLC according to DCAD website. It will eventually come down as well, I would think. You can see in this rendering (blown up) that the western end of the office building overlooks the new trailhead park, no Mashburn building in sight. I See the top of Weirs Plaza building building on the right, but is that another tall building on the left in what would be across Knox Street (now Toulouse/Taverna)? It doesn’t look like the existing condo building. Is it a glance into the future perhaps, or am I reading too much into this?

B45C115D-52F9-4DD5-A50E-63D454500E66.jpeg

PS - I think your take on what the view is in the other rendering is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 Nov 2021 20:12

Vince is closing the HP Village location and "moving". So I assume the same will happen with Anthro opening on Knox. This is really going to be a dynamic shopping area once this new development goes in. Meanwhile West Village gets a new QT gas station. lol

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Nov 2021 23:30

R1070 wrote: Meanwhile West Village gets a new QT gas station. lol
Let's just hope the West Village is at least nice.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 Nov 2021 20:34

Anthropologie is confirmed to leave HP Village for Knox.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ox-street/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 04 Nov 2021 23:22

eburress wrote:I just hope they decide to incorporate the Mashburn structure into the office building on Knox.

The DMN story below about Anthropologie confirms that Mashburns will be “dislocated” by the new Dell development on Travis. It says HPV leasing team is helping find them a new location in Knox District. My thoughts…the YETI space will be available soon. Kind of an odd space, but it’s location next door to The Real Real might work for them.

Interestingly the DMN story specifically says there are no vacancies in the Dell holdings in Knox District. Does that mean they also have a (yet to be announced) tenant for the former Res Ipsa pop-up space?

OKA (British home furnishing store) is now open in the old IO Metro space just south of the Apple store. On a Whim looks to be open one block further south on McKinney Ave next to new Natuzzi.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 07 Nov 2021 18:29

LongonBigD wrote:
eburress wrote:I just hope they decide to incorporate the Mashburn structure into the office building on Knox.

The DMN story below about Anthropologie confirms that Mashburns will be “dislocated” by the new Dell development on Travis. It says HPV leasing team is helping find them a new location in Knox District. My thoughts…the YETI space will be available soon. Kind of an odd space, but it’s location next door to The Real Real might work for them.

Interestingly the DMN story specifically says there are no vacancies in the Dell holdings in Knox District. Does that mean they also have a (yet to be announced) tenant for the former Res Ipsa pop-up space?

OKA (British home furnishing store) is now open in the old IO Metro space just south of the Apple store. On a Whim looks to be open one block further south on McKinney Ave next to new Natuzzi.

Is YETI relocating from that Knox location?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 08 Nov 2021 08:18

YETI is moving around the corner to the old Jonathan Adler space on McKinney Ave 1/2 block south of Knox. They are remodeling the space now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Nov 2021 09:10

Sounds like a pretty cool pizza place coming to Knox. Assuming this is one of the tenants going into the new Weirs development. Opening Spring 2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... s-in-2022/

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 08 Nov 2021 12:18

I can't wait for this to open. This area of Uptown keeps getting better each year.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Nov 2021 14:10

This is not Uptown if we are going by the official district map. This is Knox/Henderson. Uptown stops at West Village.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 Nov 2021 19:13

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 714&row=18

Code: Select all

Study (ASN):    2021-ASW-16285-OE
Prior Study:    2021-ASW-12272-OE

Received Date:    10/19/2021
Entered Date:    10/19/2021
Map:    View Map
Construction Info           Structure Summary
Notice Of:    CONSTR
Duration:    PERM    (Months: 0    Days: 0)
Work Schedule:    07/01/2022  to  06/01/2024

Structure Type:    Building
Structure Name:    TK Hotel Corner 1
FCC Number:    

Structure Details           Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83):    32° 49' 23.86" N
Longitude (NAD 83):    96° 47' 28.15" W
Datum:    NAD 83
City:    Dallas
State:    TX
Nearest County:    Dallas

Proposed
Site Elevation:    
Structure Height:    
Total Height (AMSL):    

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 19 Nov 2021 18:23

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 20 Nov 2021 21:29

Here’s another rendering of the MSD project @ Knox and Travis. This is a view of the planned park which will adjoin the development to the Katy Trail. This appears to be looking west from the hotel/condo tower between office bldg and low resi bldg.
ED75925D-DE3B-4129-ABF8-0AA7394BA31B.jpeg

I noticed that the the Knox PID has budgeted $1.6 MM in 2022 to implement Knox Better Streets plans and other items.

Lastly, got a whiff of a rumor from a knowledgeable source that another (approx 20 story) residential bldg may be in the works as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrewnj89

Postby andrewnj89 » 23 Nov 2021 23:59

I hope DART will reconsider completing the Knox Henderson underground light rail station!

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Nov 2021 01:32

LongonBigD wrote:Here’s another rendering of the MSD project @ Knox and Travis. This is a view of the planned park which will adjoin the development to the Katy Trail. This appears to be looking west from the hotel/condo tower between office bldg and low resi bldg.
ED75925D-DE3B-4129-ABF8-0AA7394BA31B.jpeg
I noticed that the the Knox PID has budgeted $1.6 MM in 2022 to implement Knox Better Streets plans and other items.

Lastly, got a whiff of a rumor from a knowledgeable source that another (approx 20 story) residential bldg may be in the works as well.

Thanks for sharing the new render! So excited for this project. Re. the new residential tower, did the whiff you got lead you to think it would be a part of this development or somewhere else in the area?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Nov 2021 08:54

andrewnj89 wrote:I hope DART will reconsider completing the Knox Henderson underground light rail station!

Its not that DART doesn't want that station its more that that it would require super human powers to do so. It would require construction while the trains are actively passing through the station. The conditions of building the station at this point would be dangerous and affect the blue and red lines ability to pass through on time while DART is already dealing with delays because of a lack of a second line Downtown. The D2 Line has been constantly delayed and to be honest a Knox Henderson station is the least of DART's concerns at the moment. Plus who is the active community group begging for it? No one. Sure some of the merchants may want it but most are just accepting the reality. Until DART is pushed by lets say the Dallas City Council like when they wanted to make the second downtown line a subway DART is not gonna study even the possibility. Now if a bunch of residents or a community group started pushing DART to do something we could get more details on how a station could appear near Knox. For now its just a mentioned cool idea between two people in a coffee shop and that's not enough buy in for DART to make a move.

What we should all be hoping for is the MATA ext up here. That's more likely a doable solution for connecting Knox to more of the DART system and the city.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 Nov 2021 10:32

eburress wrote:Thanks for sharing the new render! So excited for this project. Re. the new residential tower, did the whiff you got lead you to think it would be a part of this development or somewhere else in the area?

This would be a new separate project from the MSD site by a different developer. Location would be a couple of blocks away from Knox Street.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 24 Nov 2021 18:14

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
andrewnj89 wrote:I hope DART will reconsider completing the Knox Henderson underground light rail station!

Its not that DART doesn't want that station its more that that it would require super human powers to do so. It would require construction while the trains are actively passing through the station. The conditions of building the station at this point would be dangerous and affect the blue and red lines ability to pass through on time while DART is already dealing with delays because of a lack of a second line Downtown. The D2 Line has been constantly delayed and to be honest a Knox Henderson station is the least of DART's concerns at the moment. Plus who is the active community group begging for it? No one. Sure some of the merchants may want it but most are just accepting the reality. Until DART is pushed by lets say the Dallas City Council like when they wanted to make the second downtown line a subway DART is not gonna study even the possibility. Now if a bunch of residents or a community group started pushing DART to do something we could get more details on how a station could appear near Knox. For now its just a mentioned cool idea between two people in a coffee shop and that's not enough buy in for DART to make a move.

What we should all be hoping for is the MATA ext up here. That's more likely a doable solution for connecting Knox to more of the DART system and the city.

The issue isn't really with construction interfering with train operations. The majority of the work would be carving out the entrances and mezzanine (by my memory, the main station cavern, an emergency exit, and ventilation outflow shafts were the only parts already built), and then at platform level, there are currently cinderblock walls at the edges of the platforms blocking access to the trains, so a lot of work could probably be done before the walls were taken down. Afterwards, I imagine that delays would be limited to trains having to slow down while passing the station (they already have to go slow when passing trackside workers or pulling into/out of stations undergoing platform work), and probably a few weekend shutdowns. Constructability isn't the issue, it's the cost. I think DART has said they'd consider building the station if other parties (i.e. developers) were willing to pitch in significant parts of the funding.

willyk

Postby willyk » 25 Nov 2021 02:22

Wouldn’t it be on the Henderson side? I wonder if the same NIMBYs that have been fighting the redevelopment of Henderson would fight this too. Mobility would be a plus for their neighborhood, but they might just see more bar patrons riding in from all around town.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Nov 2021 11:28

willyk wrote:

Wouldn’t it be on the Henderson side? I wonder if the same NIMBYs that have been fighting the redevelopment of Henderson would fight this too. Mobility would be a plus for their neighborhood, but they might just see more bar patrons riding in from all around town.

The original plans and the existing track are on the Henderson side of the freeway. However, I believe the plan was for at least one entrance from the Knox side (similar to CityPlace Station). All bets are off now that this is probably on hold for a very long time.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Jan 2022 16:38

Just some retail/restaurant updates:

According to last weeks' Dallas Guide, Abacus (aka Jasper's Uptown) will become Montes Modern Charhouse this summer. This will be an upscale restaurant from the people who revamped Primo's and will include some former Abacus talent. It's a steakhouse concept, and while there are plenty on the southern end of McKinney Ave, not so much competition at this end. Directly south across Armstrong Ave, the Blu Dot construction continues with most of the walls up at this point (also a 2022 opening).

In addition to the relocation of Boulangerie Village Bakery to the new Weirs Plaza tower, as previously announced, Texas' first outpost of Pizzana from CA is also scheduled to open in Weirs Plaza. A pizza concept from the Sprinkles Cupcake gal and actor Chris O'Donnell. Expected to open in April. It is noted that there are lots of good pizza choices not far from here starting with Taverna across Knox street. Weirs Furniture is still not open, but signs in the window indicate "COMING SOON" and now hiring.

I noticed that the On The Border kitchen which was open only for catering is no longer there. I continue to think this space--right on the NE corner of Cole and Knox--would be a great patio/people watching spot for the relocation of the HPV Royal Blue (now Berkley's Market). I had suggested the old Z gallerie space, but now that it is to be transformed into Anthropologie....

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Jan 2022 19:45

The old OTB and The Real Real buildings will be torn down for a mixed use development at some point. The C&B building is the only one within that side of the block that's slated to stay.

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Jan 2022 10:22

^^ Is that based on your own speculation or is there a source for that info? I don't doubt you but if there's a source, I'm sure we'd all love to see it! :)

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Jan 2022 18:39

That's what was previously reported at one point and I had heard it from an OTB employee when the restaurant was still there. I'm sure there's still a plan for it at some point, it's only a matter of time.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 09 Jan 2022 15:56

R1070 wrote:The old OTB and The Real Real buildings will be torn down for a mixed use development at some point. The C&B building is the only one within that side of the block that's slated to stay.

Surprised Apple has not tried to jump into a bigger space.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2022 14:02

Highland Park Soda Fountain on Knox Street in Dallas will become new restaurant
The owners of The Charles have three new restaurants coming soon, in three areas of Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... estaurant/

eburress

Postby eburress » 15 Jan 2022 10:29

So another Italian spot to go along with Pizzano and Taverna, amongst all the existing French spots in the area.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Jan 2022 12:32

eburress wrote:So another Italian spot to go along with Pizzano and Taverna, amongst all the existing French spots in the area.

Don't forget the Mexican/Spanish restaurant contingency in the neighborhood. Maybe they should rename Knox District to "International District." At least then we would know where the name came from. Or better yet, the International/Furniture/HPV Rejects District. On second thought Knox District works. HAHAHAHA

In last week's Observer, an article about new restaurants in 2022 had the following curious note, Pizzano "will be located in the Knox Street Tower building (the former Weir's Plaza)." Haven't heard of any name change for the building. Wonder what they have heard and from whom? Not that it matters, but Weir's Plaza has always sounded like the name of a strip shopping center out in the burbs to me anyway.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jan 2022 12:02

LongonBigD wrote:
eburress wrote:So another Italian spot to go along with Pizzano and Taverna, amongst all the existing French spots in the area.

Don't forget the Mexican/Spanish restaurant contingency in the neighborhood. Maybe they should rename Knox District to "International District." At least then we would know where the name came from. Or better yet, the International/Furniture/HPV Rejects District. On second thought Knox District works. HAHAHAHA

In last week's Observer, an article about new restaurants in 2022 had the following curious note, Pizzano "will be located in the Knox Street Tower building (the former Weir's Plaza)." Haven't heard of any name change for the building. Wonder what they have heard and from whom? Not that it matters, but Weir's Plaza has always sounded like the name of a strip shopping center out in the burbs to me anyway.

All jokes aside I kinda like International District

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Jan 2022 08:31

Developer eyes two new tower projects near Dallas’ Knox Street
Office and residential high-rise buildings are in the works along McKinney Avenue.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ox-street/

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Jan 2022 11:31

Ooh exciting! This will be an interesting little skyline in the not too distant future.