Knox District / Knox Park

LongonBigD

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Street Side

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Jun 2022 20:05

RE: MSD project at Knox/Travis

I finally took the time to listen to the City Planning Commission meeting link provided below. Learned a couple of things. Mashburns (old Lamps Plus) facade will be “preserved”—it has already been reported that Mashburns will be dislocated as a result. Sidewalk, street parking and lighting improvements will extend south along Travis all the way to Armstrong at the expense of MSD (including in front of Cafe Madrid—a different owner).

The most interesting fact highlighted was that the height increase request to 399’ (current zoning allows up to 240’) will result in the tallest building along US 75 traveling north from this development site until you reach Kansas City. Hadn’t occurred to me, but sounds right.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 25 Jun 2022 21:42

Tulsa has taller buildings than KC, so that's as far as it goes

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jun 2022 09:11

I45Tex wrote:Tulsa has taller buildings than KC, so that's as far as it goes

Good catch. (And Tulsa has 6 buildings taller than the one proposed here.)

Even if it was true, that was a pretty lame claim to make.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Jun 2022 11:47

Tucy wrote:

For the record, the developer did not make this claim, a Dallas planning commissioner made it. I didn’t take it as a boast.

THe commissioner seemed to be lamenting that once again, exceptions were being requested for zoning limits long in place. His concern seemed to be that they are approving this specific request due to the quality of the development and the amenities the developer is making available to the community (new park abutting the trail, restrooms available to Katy Trail users, pedestrian oriented, etc). His fear is that the next developer won’t offer those compromises, but only say, “you let MSD build 400’ I’m only asking for the same.”

To me, this strengthened the argument that it is way past time to revise PD 193.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 29 Jul 2022 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 26 Jun 2022 12:07

Tucy wrote:

Even more lame because U.S. 75 doesn't pass through Kansas City. It goes through Topeka, about an hour to the west of KC.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jun 2022 12:36

OrangeMike wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Even more lame because U.S. 75 doesn't pass through Kansas City. It goes through Topeka, about an hour to the west of KC.

That's funny. Since they were ignoring Tulsa (and why not ignore Tulsa?), they could have claimed all the way to Omaha...

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jul 2022 09:43

Apartment builder Kairoi Residential is adding to its Dallas development deals
With projects in Uptown and Oak Cliff, the builder now heads to Knox Street.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ent-deals/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Jul 2022 10:29

This will be a nice addition. A lot of those older buildings that are not aging well, will most likely be replaced in coming years.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Jul 2022 11:20

This is much smaller than I was anticipating; however, it fits better in the immediate neighborhood. Leave the towers to Knox street and NCX for now. From the info in the DMN article, it will be very similar to The Hudson (at McKinney and Monticello)—perhaps too similar. There are now several GFF designed mid-rise MF properties in this neighborhood with this same look (Lyra, Hudson, Knox Heights, Vidorra and Broadstone). Armstrong at Knox (red brick) is noticeable for NOT being cream/beige with gray/black accents.

Love the underground parking. Also glad to see more of the old apts which were not well-maintained replaced.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Aug 2022 17:58

I worked at The Hudson and did the leasing when it opened. We def had lots of people looking for something and not caring about the price. The kind where you don't even tell them the price cause they don't care cause it's not a problem. Lots of people who lived in the Park Cities who either needed a luxury apartment while their house was rebuilt, divorcees with million-dollar budgets, and families looking to shop for houses in the Park Cities but wanted to land nearby for a year while they looked. Boutique and larger seem more in line with the market in that area. Yeah, rent is too damn high in Dallas, but this part of the market expects to be able to fit a king-sized bed dresser, bedroom lounging chair, and a walk-in closet. The Hudson was nice but was still cramped for that kind of customer in many of their floorplans. We had people begging for a dining room, and they were not elderly people they were people with a desire for serious dining space separated from the kitchen, and apartments are not designed like that anymore.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

R1070

Postby R1070 » 09 Aug 2022 13:51

Any word on what will happen to the space that is being vacated by Bassett furniture on McKinney Ave?

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 30 Aug 2022 22:51

The Terminal Katy Trail project has topped out. I didn’t even know it had started construction much less topped out. Really cool project with condos above retail. I used to live down Buena Vista street, very desirable area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 30 Aug 2022 22:56

That's awesome news, thanks for the update! I lived close by and used to frequent the trail up until last year, so I saw they were progressing on this project pretty quickly.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Aug 2022 07:31

Yep, I watch this one's progress every morning and I absolutely love everything about it. Hopefully somebody's planning to build something comparable on the other side of Fitzhugh!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 12 Sep 2022 18:41

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023000684
If the application is completely accurate, 56 units in a 20 story building. 90 parking spaces underground. So maybe accurate.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 12 Sep 2022 19:30

CTroyMathis wrote:https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2023000684
If the application is completely accurate, 56 units in a 20 story building. 90 parking spaces underground. So maybe accurate.

Steve Brown just posted a story on this: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -on-us-75/

Sounds like Henry's Majestic will be going away for this. The bar has a McKinney address; 3030 Monticello is about at the curb cut on the side of the parking lot out in front.

eburress

Postby eburress » 13 Sep 2022 07:27

This is a great spot for a tower; hopefully the new building is of the caliber of The McKenzie. Also, hopefully once this one goes up, the lot on which Extra Space Storage sits is the next to go.

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 15 Sep 2022 06:00

From what I have heard, they are planning for this to be a step above The McKenzie. And with only two to three units per floor and all underground parking, it seems that may be the case.

I hope (and assume) they learned their lesson on soundproofing windows... The McKenzie is fantastic building, run by a wonderful management team with amazing staff, but the noise from Central is awful and StreetLights used their standard cheap grade windows which do a very poor job of dampening the buzz of the highway. Many occupants have installed extra sound-dampening windowpanes.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 15 Sep 2022 12:49

The neighborhood from Fitzhugh all the way to where it meets at a point at the Katy Trail and 75 is primed to be full of these uber high end type of places as an answer to an even higher end version of Uptown primed for folks from the Park Cities that are becoming empty nesters or divorcees and others that may love the park cities but not want a single family home that are looking for a good mix dense, urban, high end, walkable things etc. Think 30+ something folks that don't necessarily want to be in Uptown and don't want to be in a house and that as beautiful as Turtle Creek is, is more sleepy and you just drive to everything unless you're literally planning on a walk for relaxation or exercise only you're not popping out for coffee and walking to meet a friend at a restaurant or popping over to see the latest iPhone or have wine somewhere.
That doesn't exist in the Park Cities and of all areas surrounding them, this is the only one that is that close into the center of things and has the ability to fill that market. I think we should and we will see more things like this and what has come about in the last 3-5 years in there coming for that area, which I believe is already or is at becoming referred to as Knox Park. I could easily see this area being something like Highland Park Village but where people live, work, play and stay (hotel). It has amazing potential to be unequaled to any other neighborhood that fills a missing gap.

Just my thoughts

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 15 Sep 2022 12:59

Dmkflyer wrote:The neighborhood from Fitzhugh all the way to where it meets at a point at the Katy Trail and 75 is primed to be full of these uber high end type of places as an answer to an even higher end version of Uptown primed for folks from the Park Cities that are becoming empty nesters or divorcees and others that may love the park cities but not want a single family home that are looking for a good mix dense, urban, high end, walkable things etc. Think 30+ something folks that don't want want to be in Uptown and don't want to be in a house and that as beautiful as Turtle Creek is, is more sleepy and you just drive to everything unless you're literally planning on a walk for relaxation or exercise only.
That doesn't exist in the Park Cities and of all areas surrounding them, this is the only one that is that close into the center of things and has the ability to fill that market. I think we should and will see more things like this and whats come about in the last 3-5 years in there coming for that area, which I believe is or is at becoming referred to as Knox Park. I could easily see this area being something like Highland Park Village but where people live, work, play and stay (hotel).

Just my thoughts

I definitely agree with you. I've been thoroughly impressed with all the development that has happened on Knox lately, and it looks like we'll soon get some changes along Fitzhugh too which would make this a nice neighborhood for people who desire walkability.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Sep 2022 13:42

I'd love if Highland Park would agree to allow streetcars from SMU to Dallas McKinney Ave.

LPG

Postby LPG » 16 Sep 2022 06:33

Facility Name:
The Ivy

Location Address:
5025 North Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 25205

Start Date:
3/15/2023

Completion Date:
1/4/2025

Estimated Cost:
$70,000,000

Type of Work:
New Construction

Scope of Work:
The design and construction of core and shell office building, which consists of a new 185,000 GSF square foot office on a 174,000 GSF podium garage.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2023000970

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Sep 2022 08:35

This is the office building going up at McKinney and Webb, one block north of Monticello ( and the just announced “The
Galatyn“ 20 story resi project.). I believe there is a residential tower announced simultaneously on the opposite corner. Seems like it’s Gonna continue to be very busy in this area for a few more years.

jegchachi

Postby jegchachi » 23 Sep 2022 11:50

Old Warehouse coming down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Sep 2022 12:34

I noticed the Mashburn store was closed, so I figure they will demo all of the remaining buildings this round.

eburress

Postby eburress » 24 Sep 2022 08:18

They're keeping the Mashburn building's facade but everything else goes.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Sep 2022 13:55

Nice. I do like that facade. In other news Sette has opened in the previous Ligne Roset space on McKinney Avenue.

LongonBigD

Re: Knox / Henderson - Knox Promenade

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Sep 2022 20:46

I just left an initial neighborhood development meeting, more change proposed for Knox District. Tentatively keeping the name, Knox Promenade. First impression is positive.

The current owner (Stockdale Investments) of SE corner of McKinney Ave and Armstrong is asking to redevelop 4 (5?) buildings (currently retail). Stockdale has owned in this neighborhood for a long time. Impact on McKinney Ave is Doce Mesas south to Roti Grill—Serena and Lily building will stay. On the NCX side, Potbelly south to Salons of Dallas (not sure if Ed Kellum goes or stays). Owner is partnering with Hines to plan and develop. Architect is KPF (Kohn Pedersen Fox) with GFF assisting locally.

What is proposed? Three towers with an interior courtyard/driveway setup—think MSDell project a couple streets west. The top RH circle diagram in the rendering pics illustrate bldg locations for 3 new towers and Serene & Lily building. Apartment tower will face McKinney Ave/Armstrong with street level retail on both streets. Office tower and Sr. Living tower will front NCX and sit atop a shared 4 story garage. Corner of McKinney @ Armstrong is proposed 440’ tall, 300 unit multi-family tower. NCX @ Armstrong is proposed 350’ tall, 250k sq ft boutique office tower. NCX (mid-block where Salons/Ed Kellum sits currently) is proposed 280’ tall, 225 unit Senior Living tower. Ground floor Retail space along McKinney and Armstrong. All three towers will share a 5-story below ground garage with 4 stories above on the NCX side (connecting office tower and Sr Living tower).
Last edited by LongonBigD on 26 Sep 2022 23:07, edited 10 times in total.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Sep 2022 20:54

Apologies for the poor quality photos of renderings below. This reminds me of Weirs Plaza—on steroids—planned as metal, glass, and brick materials. In the first rendering, MF apartment building at front left. Office building is peaking from behind. Sr Living tower on right (appears as twins, but is one tower).

Second image is looking SE at intersection (Doce Mesas currently) with proposed office tower on far left.

99DA27C8-063B-44E3-95BC-97894E2FEA1C.jpeg
[/img]
Last edited by LongonBigD on 26 Sep 2022 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 26 Sep 2022 21:25

LongonBigD wrote:This looks something like Weirs Plaza (on steroids).]

What a transformation for that corner. I moved into those townhomes behind that guy's head when they were new and the Army-Navy store was next door instead of Serena and Lily. (Moved out soon after.) That whole neighborhood is exploding with growth and density.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 26 Sep 2022 21:41

Wow that sounds incredible. Knox is really on fire these days

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 26 Sep 2022 22:02

Wow! I’m really excited about this! Thanks LongonBigD!

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Sep 2022 23:37

So what is that now, 8 new towers going up in the neighborhood?? Wow!

(3 as part of the new Travis St. project, across from Weirs Plaza, 3 from this newly proposed development, and 2 more further north, near McKinney and Monticello. Am I missing any?)

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 27 Sep 2022 06:50

Maybe someone needs to pitch a deck park here, so that one day it won't be parking garages lining NCX but more enjoyable ground floor activities.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 27 Sep 2022 07:52

I45Tex wrote:Maybe someone needs to pitch a deck park here, so that one day it won't be parking garages lining NCX but more enjoyable ground floor activities.

Haha, that’s the same thought I had. Although I also felt like I was expecting too much, because this project is fantastic as is and definitely a nice surprise.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 27 Sep 2022 09:42

I45Tex wrote:Maybe someone needs to pitch a deck park here, so that one day it won't be parking garages lining NCX but more enjoyable ground floor activities.

and open up that DART station coming up into the deck park!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Sep 2022 14:06

I'm usually one to never bring up traffic, as I've always thought it's just what you get for living in certain areas... But poor Knox is going to take a beating with all these new developments. It's already congested!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2022 14:19

While I, too, am romantic about HWY 75 being a loose chain of deck parks, I can imagine the cost being well above what just buying some apartment building in an existing neighborhood and just building a park on land already stable for a park. Klyde Warren is nice, but its a commercially successful gimmick, and South Dallas is getting one to help balance the scales in some political minds, but it would be better money spent if we build parks that aren't surrounded by fast-moving highway traffic racing down on and off ramps. Just buy one of the garden-style complexes nearby, which will be increasing in cost quickly, and build a park on land we already have rather than trying to shut down HWY 75 every other year to build another high-profile deck park that maintenance costs will skyrocket once the brand new has worn off.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2022 14:33

Kelley USA wrote:I'm usually one to never bring up traffic, as I've always thought it's just what you get for living in certain areas... But poor Knox is going to take a beating with all these new developments. It's already congested!

Funny enough, the land and location are so damn valuable the traffic isn't the biggest barrier to developers and residents. If we focused on all forms of moving people like transit, sidewalks that aren't disconnected and narrow, bike access, etc., we could balance things a little better. Even if the city could buy all the retail and rebuild with wider lanes with retail buildings set further back, that would only worsen traffic. Increasing access to faster and more cars makes things worse.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 27 Sep 2022 16:42

cowboyeagle05 wrote:While I, too, am romantic about HWY 75 being a loose chain of deck parks, I can imagine the cost being well above what just buying some apartment building in an existing neighborhood and just building a park on land already stable for a park. Klyde Warren is nice, but its a commercially successful gimmick, and South Dallas is getting one to help balance the scales in some political minds, but it would be better money spent if we build parks that aren't surrounded by fast-moving highway traffic racing down on and off ramps. Just buy one of the garden-style complexes nearby, which will be increasing in cost quickly, and build a park on land we already have rather than trying to shut down HWY 75 every other year to build another high-profile deck park that maintenance costs will skyrocket once the brand new has worn off.

True. Hopefully (as this part of town develops), Knox will turn into a street that people feel comfortable crossing 75 on foot.

There's only so much you can do, given that it's a highway, but hopefully the lots right on the corner of Knox/75 are developed into something that encourage walking across the highway and don't just put up more garages along 75.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2022 16:55

I agree there are just a lot of priorities here and cars going to and from the Park Cities are still very much a priority for many, including those who will influence Dallas City Council votes. The entire reason most of this development is so tall is cause the Park Cities won't allow density, but the market wants to appeal to the 1% that lives just over the city boundary and capture those residents who still want to live near the Park Cities but live in a brand new high rise apartment or work in a high rise office close to their mansion in the Park Cities or mostly near the Park Cities schools.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 28 Sep 2022 07:56

potatocoins wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:While I, too, am romantic about HWY 75 being a loose chain of deck parks, I can imagine the cost being well above what just buying some apartment building in an existing neighborhood and just building a park on land already stable for a park. Klyde Warren is nice, but its a commercially successful gimmick, and South Dallas is getting one to help balance the scales in some political minds, but it would be better money spent if we build parks that aren't surrounded by fast-moving highway traffic racing down on and off ramps. Just buy one of the garden-style complexes nearby, which will be increasing in cost quickly, and build a park on land we already have rather than trying to shut down HWY 75 every other year to build another high-profile deck park that maintenance costs will skyrocket once the brand new has worn off.

True. Hopefully (as this part of town develops), Knox will turn into a street that people feel comfortable crossing 75 on foot.

There's only so much you can do, given that it's a highway, but hopefully the lots right on the corner of Knox/75 are developed into something that encourage walking across the highway and don't just put up more garages along 75.

Well, the difficulty wouldn't be worth it at most points along the frontage roads, but of course, as Cbdallas points out, this is the one place in Texas where walkability is going to happen based on a subway station shell that's already sitting there carved out directly underneath the west side of the frontage IIRC, so we can still build around that sunk cost.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 28 Sep 2022 07:57

This is definitely a special case.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 04 Oct 2022 22:11

New towers will replace low-rise buildings on North Central Expressway near Knox Street

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ox-street/

The mixed-use development is planned north of downtown Dallas in the popular Knox Street business district. Three towers would replace several retail buildings on the block between McKinney Avenue and U.S. Highway 75 at Armstrong Avenue.

Property owner Stockdale Investment Group is teaming up with developer Hines on the project – one of several in the works in the Knox neighborhood. The development will include an apartment high-rise, office tower, senior housing and retail.

An apartment tower with 300 units would face McKinney Avenue. A 250,000-square-foot office and a senior housing high-rise with 225 homes will front on North Central.

“We feel all the uses combined in one phase was the best plan,” said Stockdale managing partner Joe Pastora. “The majority of the parking is going to be underground. We feel the height and density belongs on North Central Expressway.”

“On McKinney Avenue, we are adding retail density - that’s where the neighborhood will be walking to,” said Stockdale partner Alex Johnson. “We fully expect to attract best-in-class restaurants and community-serving retail.”

849DDAD2-E002-4947-8FE3-089E8476DECC.jpeg

E03E584F-808E-4513-8F0B-571D782E477D.jpeg

9D8FDBD8-D3B1-4BCB-849B-08EF1E73880F.jpeg

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Oct 2022 09:07

I am having a little trouble figuring out where exactly this development is. Wish they would have done an overlay map. Beyond that I sort of like it.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 05 Oct 2022 09:59

LongonBigD wrote:I just left an initial neighborhood development meeting, more change proposed for Knox District. Tentatively keeping the name, Knox Promenade. First impression is positive.

The current owner (Stockdale Investments) of SE corner of McKinney Ave and Armstrong is asking to redevelop 4 (5?) buildings (currently retail). Stockdale has owned in this neighborhood for a long time. Impact on McKinney Ave is Doce Mesas south to Roti Grill—Serena and Lily building will stay. On the NCX side, Potbelly south to Salons of Dallas (not sure if Ed Kellum goes or stays). Owner is partnering with Hines to plan and develop. Architect is KPF (Kohn Pedersen Fox) with GFF assisting locally.

What is proposed? Three towers with an interior courtyard/driveway setup—think MSDell project a couple streets west. The top RH circle diagram in the rendering pics illustrate bldg locations for 3 new towers and Serene & Lily building. Apartment tower will face McKinney Ave/Armstrong with street level retail on both streets. Office tower and Sr. Living tower will front NCX and sit atop a shared 4 story garage. Corner of McKinney @ Armstrong is proposed 440’ tall, 300 unit multi-family tower. NCX @ Armstrong is proposed 350’ tall, 250k sq ft boutique office tower. NCX (mid-block where Salons/Ed Kellum sits currently) is proposed 280’ tall, 225 unit Senior Living tower. Ground floor Retail space along McKinney and Armstrong. All three towers will share a 5-story below ground garage with 4 stories above on the NCX side (connecting office tower and Sr Living tower).

Isn't it this one that LondonBigD was describing?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 05 Oct 2022 10:09

^^^ yeah, that’s the same development

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2022 11:38

Here is a rough map overlay if you look at the 3D renderings, you can place the townhomes and the lone Serena store as landmarks to connect the dots.
The renderings make the project look like something in Manhattan rather than an area of town that's rapidly going vertical after years of being a fairly suburban but walkable retail and restaurant destination.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 05 Oct 2022 12:44

It's kinda crazy that there is enough demand in this area to justify razing multiple businesses. For the most part, it seems like most redevelopments have just been redeveloping parking lots and plots of land that have one or two retail spaces. Even in Uptown where things have been hot for a while, there are still retail strips that aren't showing signs of being re-developed any time soon.

Hopefully we'll start to see more of these suburban plots of land developed into something like this in the near future.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Oct 2022 14:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Here is a rough map overlay if you look at the 3D renderings, you can place the townhomes and the lone Serena store as landmarks to connect the dots.

Cowboyealge05 map overlay is exactly my understanding of what will be razed. Keep in mind that Serena & Lily will not be demolished and will be part of the new project. It is the little white building in the center of the first rendering. You can also see it in another rendering next to the black Jaquar. So it is pet of the development, but not part of the demo.

I personally think this is only Phase I and the remainder of that entire block (possibly including Serena & Lily, the townhomes, old apartments, and two very outdated office buildings) could eventually be Phase II (enough room for 2-3 more towers). AGAIN, this is only my thoughts, nothing at all to support other than the old apartment building @ McKinney/Oliver has been on the market a couple of times in the last 5 years. I'm not positive that the office building closest to Ed Kellum is even occupied.