Parking Garages

Jay9398

Re: Parking Garages

Postby Jay9398 » 26 Jan 2017 14:18

Sorry for the photo quality, but yes it does look like they are building the garage structure first.
FountainGarage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 26 Jan 2017 15:39

Oh, I see the progress every day (I work in the building) and I apologize for my question not being clear.

I meant to frame the question to ask whether the project would contemporaneously include the part that fronts Ross or whether there would be a gap of months or years between the garage and the extension toward Ross. I'm not sure anyone here would know the answer--I'm mostly thinking aloud.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Feb 2017 09:38

Here is the rendering in the header once you remove the title and other info...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 14 Feb 2017 17:51

I wonder how well Dallas is preparing for these changes...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... ate-market

According to the number-crunchers at McKinsey, ride-sharing and driverless cars will reduce the space allocated to parking vehicles by 25 percent come 2050, a reduction that represents more than 61 billion square feet of extra living room. And we're already seeing buildings that anticipate this shift, says Joel Dixon of real estate startup Compass. For example, floor-to-ceiling heights in garages are increasing, to make it easier to convert parking spots to office or residential use at a later time. Likewise, footprints are shrinking so that every corner receives natural light — again, essential for adaptive reuse. Elsewhere, future-proofed buildings with flexible spaces that allow garages to be repurposed are already appearing.

"Parking floors aren't angled with ramps as they used to be, either," Joel adds, by phone from his office in New York. "Instead, they use speed bumps to slow traffic, which is also much easier to adapt for future reuse."

L.A. was a pioneer of this shift, thanks to the Adaptive Reuse Ordinance of the 1990s. To encourage development of vacant commercial buildings into housing, these rules exempted buildings from onerous minimum parking requirements — and so prepped the luxury homes within for the shared-ride boom. In Miami, Herzog & de Meuron's 1111 Lincoln Road fuses residential, office, retail, and parking in a single structure, the idea being that as zoning requirements evolve, autonomous vehicle use increases, and behavior patterns shift, the building would be able to react. Likewise, at Government Center in Boston, a 2,130-vehicle parking garage will be replaced by two 500-foot luxury towers — with only 600 spaces open to the public.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 14 Apr 2017 11:42

Meanwhile Oslo is ambitiously going car-free by 2019...

“We just need to stop providing car parking everywhere, stop requiring it of builders and start removing on-street parking in congested city centers,” he says. “More parking always means more cars. We see that Oslo is building entire new residential towers that are expected to be car-free. Why places like Manhattan are still building any parking in new construction is crazy.”

Watch the video: https://vimeo.com/212846367

Here's the story: http://www.curbed.com/2017/4/14/1530155 ... treetfilms

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 16 May 2017 08:52

Tnexster wrote:Downtown Dallas tower owner plans 10-story garage

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... ory-garage

New York-based Fortis Property Group — which owns the 36-story Harwood Center office tower at Bryan and Harwood streets — is asking for city approval to build the garage to accommodate the new worldwide headquarters for Jacobs Engineering Group.

Jacobs is moving its main office from Pasadena, Calif., to downtown Dallas, adding about 100 new jobs.

Fortis plans to build the almost 500-vehicle garage on Federal Street adjacent to its office high-rise. The office tower at 1999 Bryan was built in 1982.

Noticed they were cutting down trees and clearing the site yesterday afternoon

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 May 2017 21:58

I believe this will be a pretty nice looking parking garage. I'd like to see more retail and neighborhood service spaces in the street levels of these structures. I hope we see more of that incorporated in the future.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 May 2017 23:05

R1070 wrote:I believe this will be a pretty nice looking parking garage. I'd like to see more retail and neighborhood service spaces in the street levels of these structures. I hope we see more of that incorporated in the future.

Is this from the guys who promised the fanciest garage in town?.. don't hold your breath. We were just promised the same thing at Fountain place.

Another garage is another dead Street..or should I say ..an even more dead Street.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 17 May 2017 05:13

These parking garages are essential for the CBD. I could care less how fancy they look. What's important is that these new parking garages are reallocating parking demand from ugly parking lots spread across the district into vertical boxes at a single block.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 08:49

The biggest issue with this particular garage is that the designs (up until this point anyway) have the entrance/exit ramps going directly onto St Paul. There is a perfectly good alley adjacent to this garage that the First Baptist garage uses for access. I really hope the city pushed for a relocation of that ramp, but I have very little hope that they did.
I also like how the explanation for the 500 space garage is to accommodate 100 new employees. I'm not saying that the building doesn't need it... but the explanation is just silly.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 17 May 2017 08:58

I actually work in the building next to this (Harwood Center). While I'm never a huge fan of parking decks in general, one is needed pretty badly in the area. Harwood Center can't promise parking to new tenants as all the spaces in its deck are allocated. In addition, anyone wanting a parking spot anywhere nearby ends up having to get on a waiting list and paying $160+ a month for a space, if they can get one. At some point you could argue that's ok in terms of urban growth, but at this point it does more to stifle it than anything else. I'm hopeful that the addition of the deck allows the two lots across from me on Harwood to actually develop into something.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 May 2017 09:35

The city has an obligation to the neighborhood and the rest of the city, improving quality and variety of life one cornerstone. Updated/expanded parking for the giant office towers is clearly a trend the city must support but that support must not be time-sensitive. Build the garages by all means allowing the office towers owners to pack in as many workers as possible, but build them with future renovation in mind; when business owner/operators once again provide workers with greater space and a glut of parking surfaces, the garages are already to be converted.

Several articles about the future of parking have floated within the past year, and there's no reason Dallas cannot, should not line-up.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 17 May 2017 18:03

The demand for parking in Downtown is always going to be high. So we will need these parking garages for a very long time. But that's just a fact. I think we all want Downtown to be primarily pedestrian oriented with residence living densely in the district. However, the demand for parking garages will always be high because of the extent of urban sprawl in the Metroplex.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 May 2017 01:13

joshua.dodd wrote:The demand for parking in Downtown is always going to be high. So we will need these parking garages for a very long time. But that's just a fact. I think we all want Downtown to be primarily pedestrian oriented with residence living densely in the district. However, the demand for parking garages will always be high because of the extent of urban sprawl in the Metroplex.

Self-driving cars will be pretty widespread in about 10 years time, which could really change the need for parking. Valet/Drop-off areas will be far more important in the coming years.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 May 2017 07:05

Not hard to imagine any parking garages rendered excess by consumer behavior could become repair and storage facilities for this new class of fleet vehicle, especially in downtown where office worker and residential population is more highly concentrated. Along that line, DART commuter rail stations might gamble on the future of parking garages.... pairing the congestion avoidance of a train ride into the city with local neighborhood access and reach of on-demand personal vehicle.

??Has this usage already been explained or laid-out in the Auto-Car thread?

As long as the new parking garages are being designed with ease of future repurposing, go for it.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 18 May 2017 15:52

DPatel304 wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:The demand for parking in Downtown is always going to be high. So we will need these parking garages for a very long time. But that's just a fact. I think we all want Downtown to be primarily pedestrian oriented with residence living densely in the district. However, the demand for parking garages will always be high because of the extent of urban sprawl in the Metroplex.

Self-driving cars will be pretty widespread in about 10 years time, which could really change the need for parking. Valet/Drop-off areas will be far more important in the coming years.

But that's assuming that with self driving cars, less people will own cars and will rely more on self driving car Uber style services. Although this might be true for people within the city, it is not true for the suburban dynamics. Regardless of self driving technology, people are still going to buy and own their own personal vehicles and they will use these vehicles to go to Downtown. I highly doubt that these vehicles will just drive around while they work. The need for parking will still be there, regardless of self driving technology.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 19 May 2017 00:57

joshua.dodd wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:

I highly doubt that these vehicles will just drive around while they work. The need for parking will still be there, regardless of self driving technology.

Actually, the plan is that the car will drop someone off at work, then drive home to park (or park somewhere cheap, away from downtown). An even better plan is the Tesla Network, which allows vehicle owners to rent out their cars as autonomous taxis after being dropped off at work (this is what I'm waiting for).

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/9947 ... sportation

"You will also be able to add your car to the Tesla shared fleet just by tapping a button on the Tesla phone app and have it generate income for you while you're at work or on vacation, significantly offsetting and at times potentially exceeding the monthly loan or lease cost. This dramatically lowers the true cost of ownership to the point where almost anyone could own a Tesla. Since most cars are only in use by their owner for 5% to 10% of the day, the fundamental economic utility of a true self-driving car is likely to be several times that of a car which is not."

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 May 2017 11:48

St. Paul from Woodall Rodgers to Federal is pretty much a lost cause anyway. I know a lot of people in this building park as far away as Plaza of the Americas, so there's little doubt it was needed.

FullSizeRender 32.jpg

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Feb 2018 16:10

Harwood Center parking garage update.

IMG_4060.jpg

This gorgeous skeletal feature reminds me of the Sagrada Familia.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 08 Feb 2018 19:15

lakewoodhobo wrote:St. Paul from Woodall Rodgers to Federal is pretty much a lost cause anyway. I know a lot of people in this building park as far away as Plaza of the Americas, so there's little doubt it was needed.

FullSizeRender 32.jpg

When downtown is no different/better than the suburbs and the only way to "compete" is to add more parking (because a .3 mile / 6 minute walk via a climate-controlled walkway is too difficult for some) there's a larger issue. A quick search shows that within two blocks of this building there are 4443 existing public parking spaces. Filling up empty blocks with even more parking won't make the district any more unique or desirable, just convenient (why use transit at the base of the building when it's faster and cheaper to park?). City planners are trying to increase value by adding more and more parks/experiences that can't be found in the suburbs; developers are detrimentally adding to the supply of cheap parking as a short-term incentive. It doesn't feel like the right approach to change the long-term desirability of downtown.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 09 Feb 2018 07:32

While we have the topic going, has anyone heard about what is going on with the second garage that was so desperately needed for the Bank of America Plaza? Nothing has happened at the site up to now.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 28 Mar 2018 18:31

Harwood Center parking tower that cantilevers over Wendell Ln. as of today:

https://twitter.com/CTroyMathis/status/ ... 6230978560

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Mar 2018 20:18

Does anyone know what the final product will be like?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Mar 2018 21:50

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Does anyone know what the final product will be like?

I noticed the other day that they were using the same pre-cast concrete panels as First Baptist, so it looks like they intend to match that building.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 04 Apr 2018 12:03

Meanwhile, London converts parking garage space to community space:

https://www.curbed.com/2018/4/4/1719219 ... on-level-5

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 04 Apr 2018 12:08

dfwcre8tive wrote:Meanwhile, London converts parking garage space to community space:

https://www.curbed.com/2018/4/4/1719219 ... on-level-5

Until America embraces transit it won't matter what the rest of the world does.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Apr 2018 12:31

Wouldn't autonomous cars will also severely reduce the need for parking? I know we are still a ways off from that actually happening, but it seems to be inevitable.

I wish developers here would plan ahead and build higher quality above-ground parking that can easily be converted. I'd imagine that would actually be cheaper/quicker than building underground, but that's just a guess.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 11 Apr 2018 14:56

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Does anyone know what the final product will be like?

Not sure if the rendering has been updated since this was released

From today

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Apr 2018 15:38

maconahey wrote:Not sure if the rendering has been updated since this was released

Pretty accurate except for the shiny reflective streets.

IMG_5935.jpg

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 12 Apr 2018 08:38

jrd1964 wrote:Has anyone heard about what is going on with the second garage that was so desperately needed for the Bank of America Plaza? Nothing has happened at the site up to now.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I thought I'd try again 8-)

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 12 Apr 2018 09:53

I would surmise that they still plan to build it, but don't want to spend the money until they have some new tenants in hand. (The building is more than 1/3 empty.) I suspect they have the plans for the new garage ready to go. A parking garage won't take all that long to build. So they include the plans for additional parking in their marketing material and will pull the trigger as soon as they sign up some significant tenants for whom it is important.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Apr 2018 10:55

maconahey wrote:Image

This will be a cute little residential tower once we're no longer driving, all this parking is no longer necessary, and they've made the inevitable conversion. :idea:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Apr 2018 13:28

Tucy wrote:I would surmise that they still plan to build it, but don't want to spend the money until they have some new tenants in hand. (The building is more than 1/3 empty.) I suspect they have the plans for the new garage ready to go. A parking garage won't take all that long to build. So they include the plans for additional parking in their marketing material and will pull the trigger as soon as they sign up some significant tenants for whom it is important.

Or they are doing what every building has done. Propose a fury of improvements get the city to sign off on the zoning-related changes and or form of the redo and then they put the property up for sale with the approvals in place. When the next owner takes over they are more likely to build out the changes with their own investment to collect the return after renovations are complete. I imagine current ownership is reluctant to invest so much capital in a massive addition without a sure thing that it will generate a large enough return.

whd3

Postby whd3 » 13 Apr 2018 11:22

See new thread "711 Elm" regarding this old parking garage between El Centro and West End Station that has been sold and hopefully will be redeveloped.

whd3

Postby whd3 » 13 Apr 2018 14:25

whd3 wrote:See new thread "711 Elm" regarding this old parking garage between El Centro and West End Station that has been sold and hopefully will be redeveloped.

Update:
"'The new owners are looking at it as a two-part strategy where they keep it as its operating use in terms of a parking garage, but they are also looking at ways to redevelop it and enhance the area of the West End,' Matthew Rosenfeld, a vice president at Weitzman, told CoStar News."

http://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/189827

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2018 12:02

IMG_5690.jpg

The shiny skin has been applied.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Aug 2018 12:14

I've forgotten which of the new garages is supposed to the the most luxurious....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2018 14:12

This one is like an elephant with lipstick and a wig trying to sneak into a Democratic convention. Shhh maybe if I just stand here no one will notice I'm actually an ugly garage...

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 23 Aug 2018 14:44

All of the other threads should be merged into this one, since most of these "urban" developments are 80% parking garages, 15% residential or office, 5% ground floor retail or restaurant space (if that). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 23 Aug 2018 15:12

I am not too concerned about these parking garages. Around the world in urban centers I have already seen very cool adaptive reuse for these spaces to become office, living and retail/restaurant spaces. The car will die at the very end in the USA so meantime we will still be using these for a bit more to store vehicles.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 24 Aug 2018 07:37

It's almost like the facade treatment is several fingers pointing towards the M-Line Trolley tracks. : )

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2018 08:03

You can tell they tried to blend in with First Baptist. Their family center is this same shiny aluminum and the side of the garage facing south has the texture panels that the First Baptist garage does on its north side.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 24 Aug 2018 17:27

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You can tell they tried to blend in with First Baptist. Their family center is this same shiny aluminum and the side of the garage facing south has the texture panels that the First Baptist garage does on its north side.

Since First Baptist owns half the land the garage is on, makes sense.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 24 Oct 2018 13:55

This is the one behind 1700 Commerce. Looks like the lower retail level will get work done soon. Don't remember how many levels this one was supposed to be.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 Oct 2018 16:43

It's a small step forward, but no way this parking garage would have retail 5+ years ago.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Oct 2018 16:46

Dallas Is Over-Parked

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... er-parked/

In its Dallas-area properties, which includes Granite Park in Plano, Granite has an average parking ratio of 3.24 per 1,000. Yet, only 2.05 per 1,000 are being used, according to its findings. Specifically at Granite Park, the obsolescence percentage was more than 45 percent. In its executive summary, the Granite Properties study states, “Granite has typically provided a parking ratio of 3:1,000 to 4:1,000 because of broker and customer demands.”

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 24 Oct 2018 18:22

Just came from a D2 meeting and the Elm Street garage is about to undergo and expansion. /Facepalm/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 24 Oct 2018 22:37

Philip Kingston said on one of the Downtown facebook groups that he was working on a ban on constructing any new above ground parking Downtown. This was in response to First Baptist planning to tear down a historic highrise for parking. Could have been lip service, but I hope it's really in the works.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Oct 2018 23:12

ContriveDallasite wrote:It's a small step forward, but no way this parking garage would have retail 5+ years ago.

The exposed garage with no masking is atrocious. Absolutely cheap, kills the charm of the historical buildings nearby.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Oct 2018 23:17

ArtVandelay wrote:Just came from a D2 meeting and the Elm Street garage is about to undergo and expansion. /Facepalm/

The city owned Elm Street Garage , by UNT Dallas- Downtown?! Why?! The city doesn't do itself any favors building garages (KWP, this, other public garages).. Especially when every building in Downtown has a garage. Harwood St. Is a Garage alley. /Faceplant/