Upper McKinney (Ave) Masterplan

LongonBigD

Upper McKinney (Ave) Masterplan

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Feb 2023 12:33

I stumbled on this presentation to the Oaklawn Committee from last year. Streetlights Residential has put together a masterplan for McKinney Ave north of Knox District (primarily north of Monticello where McKinney Ave/Harvard Ave curve exists). They are calling it "Upper McKinney." In addition to the recently announced Tres Market (represented by the pink in one rendering and the gold box labeled 2300/patio in the other two), they want to be able to add lots of outdoor dining and patios to the area. I’m thinking something like an outdoor food hall. Plans call for modifications to the existing streets of Monticello, Harvard Ave and McKinney Ave to slow traffic and make the area more pedestrian friendly. I took some screenshots from the presentation. The small gold-colored spaces represent the potential micro restaurants. The tan hash-marked areas represent attached covered patio space. There is a proposed fountain in the new plaza (Y-intersection).

From the Streetlights presentation: "Acting as high-end food trucks with no wheels, these small kiosk Kitchens supported by well shaded, lush exterior seating. Properly placed, these small footprint jewel box kiosks would screen the office building and create an improved pedestrian experiences along McKinney. This would activate our Plaza space and increase the desirability of the overall neighborhood."

A conceptual representation of Streetlights' The Galatyn residential tower at McKinney/Monticello is visible as well (see light green area). If completed, this would be a major amenity for local residents with all the new towers and apartments in the area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LongonBigD on 25 Feb 2023 13:22, edited 5 times in total.

LongonBigD

Re: Upper McKinney (Ave) Masterplan

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Feb 2023 12:38

Pulling a couple of older posts from Knox District thread which are applicable to this proposal.

interestedobserver wrote:Coming to 4919 McKinney (near Chelsea Corner and between The McKenzie and the planned new Streetlights Residential tower).

https://www.tresmarketfoods.com/locatio ... land-park/

As a nearby resident, I’m very pleased, but do wonder if this, Foxtrot AND Berkley’s can all make it.

Tres Market.jpeg

The pile of rubble in the center of this pic is to be the new Tres Market. The location of The Galatyn tower is on the left side (currently the strip center with Henry's Majestic, Atwater Alley, a dry cleaner and a bank).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 25 Feb 2023 20:40

Dumb question: What does the OLC have to do with the Knox Area?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Feb 2023 20:43

It's technically within Oak Lawn.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 25 Feb 2023 22:29

And then I found THIS story in the DMN today: This is one block south of this intersection (Upper McKinney) and StreetLights’ “The Galatyn.” Is it just me or is there more going on near Knox St than any other Dallas locale?

0128DDF1-BF15-401F-B5CF-7057215DA850.jpeg

This site is on NCX Southbound access road in the block between Monticello and Hester. The story says a 250 unit mid-rise apartment community is planned. Based on the photo in the DMN story, there are two of these similar old resi buildings next to each other. You can see the two u-shaped, yellow brick buildings in the top left hand side of the photo earlier in this thread. The developer says it is early in the process on this project with a long way to go.

The developer is Kairoi Residential who purchased Nove at Knox after it was completed. Kairoi announced another apt community last year on Travis south of Knox which has not yet started construction. This project is one of multiple developments Kairoi has in Dallas. The 12-story high-rise Selene at 2620 Maple Ave (across the street from The Crescent) opened last year. It also has the five-story Amelia at Farmers Market district and 350-unit Boheme in Oak Cliff.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/02/22/apartment-builder-lands-high-profile-site-on-us-75/.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 25 Feb 2023 23:12

CTroyMathis wrote:It's technically within Oak Lawn.

That area isn't even close to Oak Lawn. This group needs to go ASAP. They shouldn't have that kind of influence over so much of Dallas.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Feb 2023 02:32

The original Oak Lawn was anything south of highland to downtown and from Inwood to maple Ave.

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 27 Feb 2023 09:07

LongonBigD wrote:I stumbled on this presentation to the Oaklawn Committee from last year.
Great find. Thank you for sharing. Do you know from what date this presentation came? I searched but couldn't find it.

I am particularly interested in this plan given I live in the area. I thought a roundabout would be good for McKinney and Monticello but the StreetLights proposal makes sense to me. My hope is The Galatyn and Tres Market will add some street life-- regardless of any fancy renderings / plans for the roads / sidewalks that may very well not come to fruition-- and make the area more appealing.

interestedobserver

Postby interestedobserver » 27 Feb 2023 09:08

R1070 wrote:The original Oak Lawn was anything south of highland to downtown and from Inwood to maple Ave.

Here is an old map from the OLC website. Upper McKinney makes it in by a hair.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 27 Feb 2023 17:18

The presentation to OLC is dated 9/14/21 it is listed as 4919 McKinney Ave. I tried to save the pdf and attach it, but it's not allowing me due to the file type.

It is pitched as a request to allow restaurant and liquor sales. This was supported by the Committee, "request a D1 overlay to allow the sale of alcohol and an SUP to allow the use of a restaurant or retail food store." Apparently, that is not currently allowed north of Harvard Ave.

It does look like wishful thinking for the entire concept, but with Streetlights involved in the Tres Market build and the Galatyn build, they have more skin in the game than others. Streetlights doesn't own all the properties where potential micro-restaurants are proposed. They did present support letters from several of the neighboring property owners.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Mar 2023 13:47

This story in Friday’s DMN gives more background on the Tres Market coming to the Harvard/McKinney Ave spot. Architect is HP custom home designers SHM Architects. They did mention that the building will be two-story. Also mentioned that while they have tables for coffee and lunch customers, 80% of their business comes from refrigerated/frozen takeout meals.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/03/23/houstons-dinner-maker-tres-market-is-coming-to-dallas/

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 May 2023 05:36

I noticed yesterday the structures (formerly a car wash?) on the southwest corner of McCommas and Central had been razed. I've lost track of all the towers going up in this area but I assume this demo was in preparation for one of them. Woohoo!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 May 2023 16:33

Hmmm... I knew NCX and Webb Ave was being torn down to make way for development, but the carwash at McCommas is now gone as well?

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 May 2023 17:22

Yep, as of yesterday, as far as I could tell.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 04 May 2023 19:53

I am not aware of any announced development for this corner. Something else new in the works??

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 May 2023 20:35

I drove by there. The carwash and small office building are still standing at McCommas. The lots at Webb Ave and McKinney/NCX are cleared. The NCX facing lot will be an officer tower and the McKinney lot will be a residential tower. .