8 Story Office - Stillwater Capital - Travis @ Fitzhugh

LPG

8 Story Office - Stillwater Capital - Travis @ Fitzhugh

Postby LPG » 14 Sep 2022 14:17

Given Stillwater is the developer and primary tenant… I like the odds.

The commercial property firm wants to build an eight-level office with parking on Travis Street near Fitzhugh Avenue on property that’s now the site of a smaller office building and an old home converted into business use.

The building between Travis and Buena Vista streets is planned to house eight to 10 small tenants.

“Additional parking will be provided as an amenity to surrounding businesses, reducing on-street parking needs and enhancing the pedestrian experience in the area,” according to the developer.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... aty-trail/

R1070

Re: 8 Story Office - Stillwater Capital - Travis @ Fitzhugh

Postby R1070 » 14 Sep 2022 20:37

What's the address of this location?

LPG

Postby LPG » 14 Sep 2022 21:03

Roughly the address of their existing office:

4145 Travis St.
Dallas, TX 75204

The area immediately behind Clifton Club

eburress

Postby eburress » 14 Sep 2022 22:07

This stretch is getting taller fast! I'm guessing the vacant lot across Fitzhugh from the Terminal building is going to be some sort of high-ish rise before too long as well.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 27 Oct 2022 16:40

Here are a couple of renderings. Will be a similar footprint to the existing office building coming down. However, this one should stretch from Travis to Buena Vista parallel to Fitzhugh, directly behind Clifton Club. Very nice to hear that this building will provide additional parking for the area. Between Beverley’s and Clifton Club, there is nothing left here for parking. I wonder if Grange Hall has cancelled their plan to move to this corner due to lack of parking. Of course their existing location is about to be a construction nightmare as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Oct 2022 21:30

According to some of the people who work there, Grange Hall cancelled their plans to move because the new location would have been too small. Not sure why they didn't realize that from the get-go though.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 27 Oct 2022 22:28

Staying put could really be a boon for Grange Hall if they can outlast the construction being located across the street from MSD Capital project.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Oct 2022 11:42

LongonBigD wrote:Will be a similar footprint to the existing office building coming down. However, this one should stretch from Travis to Buena Vista parallel to Fitzhugh, directly behind Clifton Club.…

Browsing the Oak Lawn Committee's website, I noticed that it voted in September not to support this project, basically due to height, setbacks, and perceived increase in traffic and congestion. (A screenshot of the letter that was in their October meeting agenda is attached.)

How much power does OLC have to force design changes on a project like this? Is the "no" from OLC an absolute veto that stops the project in its tracks? Does Stillwater go back to the drawing board or just move forward to argue its case at City Plan Commission and Council?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Oct 2022 12:08

Adding to my previous comment, the Stillwater presentation to OLC looks very well planned to me. There are fewer access points for cars and more landscaping. The added height is not going to plunge any of the townhomes behind it into shade at any time of year. The neighboring businesses will have access to additional parking. What am I missing that is so awful about this or is OLC just being a bunch of NIMBYs here?

The OLC agendas are currently shared publicly. This is a direct link to the presentation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13tBhvf ... sp=sharing

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 28 Oct 2022 13:10

I don’t think OLC can kill a deal, but they can inflict a near fatal blow. That being said, I think this is more of a request to go back to the drawing board and try again. There must be a reason Stillwater Capital didn’t purchase Clifton Club & Veterinarian buildings facing Fitzhugh. That would be the simple, but perhaps not cheap solution. An office building on Fitzhugh with ground floor retail and a larger setback would be an amazing improvement.

I think the problem here is the large condo community next door and perhaps other condo neighbors. The last thing they want is more traffic and street parking. The trouble started back in the day when there were 4-5 bars within one block of them. One by one, the bars went away (it did take years) only to be replaced by the wildly popular Beverley’s and Clifton Club. Now is their chance to ease the difficulty of parking.

We looked at Miro Place before we bought our current home. The spaces are nice and large. The bottom line was, “nice place, but we don’t want to live near all those bars.”

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Dec 2022 22:02

Any idea where this stands? Stillwater going to try again, or..? If anyone knows, would be great to hear what's going on.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 22 Dec 2022 20:30

If Stillwater re-presented a revised plan to OLC, there would be mention in OLC meeting minutes. I know those are accessible online, but I don’t know how to get to them. If someone does, I’d like to know.

EDIT: I see that I am able to read the OLC notes on my desktop. Apparently, Google Docs just don't get along with my iPad.