Oak Cliff Deck Park Redevelopment

willyk

Oak Cliff Deck Park Redevelopment

Postby willyk » 11 Aug 2022 04:31

Mods please move if there is a better place for this one.

Property investors are circling Oak Cliff’s new deck park

Henley, a real estate attorney, has been quietly buying up properties in the neighborhood with plans for a redevelopment.

“He has patiently assembled approximately 25 acres around the deck park in what figures to be one of the biggest growth opportunities for Oak Cliff and the eventual eastward expansion of the Bishop Arts District,” said J. Scott Lake, a partner with Davidson & Bogel Real Estate LLC

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... deck-park/

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff Deck Park Redevelopment

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Aug 2022 07:23

I posted this story in the Parks thread, but it really belongs here under Development. 25 acres is A LOT of land, and the fact that plans include a combination of new construction and adaptive re-use is a good sign.

But yeah, to think the Bishop Arts District will ever expand this far to the east is a joke. Just brand it something else and spare us the collective eye roll: "Marsalis Nature District" even has a decent ring to it.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Aug 2022 14:14

Unchecked gentrification coming to Oak Cliff.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 11 Aug 2022 14:43

That ship sailed a while ago. Technically I'm part of that too, but I shop local so that the stores in the area can stay open and keep out the Walmarts and Starbucks of the world. The only exception to that rule would be the Central Market at Davis and Zang.

The park is close to BA but walk wise it's a bit too far right now. I see everything changing between 9th & Jefferson & Zang & Llewelyn first before it turn east and south to the park. It would be cool to run the street car farther south to Jefferson and then turn east going to the park (pipe dream).

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 17 Aug 2022 00:12

MC_ScattCat wrote:That ship sailed a while ago. Technically I'm part of that too, but I shop local so that the stores in the area can stay open and keep out the Walmarts and Starbucks of the world. The only exception to that rule would be the Central Market at Davis and Zang.

The park is close to BA but walk wise it's a bit too far right now. I see everything changing between 9th & Jefferson & Zang & Llewelyn first before it turn east and south to the park. It would be cool to run the street car farther south to Jefferson and then turn east going to the park (pipe dream).

But we've seen how much Dallas' trophy parks (even though this isn't supposed to be one) draw enormous investment, and how shallow of plans "Dallas" will run to and embrace (D2, an economic development accelerator/ignition)... Maybe not that much of a pipe dream to have the streetcar extended to this totally-not-a-trophy-piece park.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2022 14:41

$10.5 M for ‘homeowner stabilization’ part of deck park tax-district expansion
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2022/1 ... expansion/

What an interesting way to spin this story which, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what it means.

I get the reason for the TIF expansion, which is to accelerate development. I just wonder if the TIF is meant to fund phase 2 of the park or simply fund development which in turn will generate more private investment in the park expansion. The "homeowner stabilization" bit is a cute little gesture, but we know this isn't about keeping people in their homes.

tif-district-expansion-map.jpg

This is actually the part I'm curious about. It's the area within the new "Clarendon-Beckley-Kiest Subdistrict" that includes the WestRock property, which I've always thought was overdue for redevelopment. I would love for it to be accessible to the public because there's quite a bit of nature there...perfect for a park or even an expansion of the zoo. Maybe there's an interested buyer that went to the city with a "but-for" case. Notice the comment by Chad West wanting the money to be spent elsewhere, like the NOC Library.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 2.48.09 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DFWwanderer

Postby DFWwanderer » 06 Oct 2022 09:45

There's actually an active zoning case just south of WestRock across Cedar Creek for WMU-5 (walkable mixed-use) zoning. Bout 5 acres. Z212-305 case number. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.