Dallas Arts District: Dallas Gateway | Portman Holdings

DallasUno

Dallas Arts District: Dallas Gateway | Portman Holdings

Postby DallasUno » 20 Oct 2021 00:14

willyk wrote:Been too long since we talked about this one. I have heard so little, I think Spire has given up on their own project. Good time for an East Sider to pick this up and make something happen here.

A group out of Georgia has either closed or is about to close. They are well into the master plan design phase of several towers.

I45Tex

Re: Arts District: The Spire Mixed Use Project

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jun 2022 09:03

Mods please update this thread to reflect that Portman Residential out of Atlanta now has the site. I don't know what the latest progress report is so I will not cite one but hopefully someone does.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 04 Jun 2022 19:32

I45Tex wrote:Mods please update this thread to reflect that Portman Residential out of Atlanta now has the site. I don't know what the latest progress report is so I will not cite one but hopefully someone does.

I’ve debated updating it, but haven’t due to the fact that Portman Holdings bought 5 acres from Spire. If I remember correctly (scrolling back in post history will be a pain on mobile right now), I believe the site was roughly 12 acres in total..?
Feel like it’d be appropriate to have a separate thread for it (might already be one). The project’s formal name (Portman) is Dallas Gateway.

If Troy wants to overrule me and rename the thread, that’s fine, but considering we don’t know what will happen to the remaining land that Spire still (ugh) owns, I’m leaving it be for now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Jun 2022 11:42

I would also agree to leave it the way it is until something more concrete happens. The sale of the land is good progress but until the project has more news to report I don't see the need to break out the Portman project into its own thread. It has basically one news cycle of articles. Once we get one of those we plan to start in the fall of ... and here is new info on the project round of news then we could start a thread and shift some posts over. Otherwise, this could just quietly disappear like most lofty proposals.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Jun 2022 14:37

Well, might be time to finally update the thread name! Could have us a 50 story tower soon.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-project/

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 15 Jun 2022 15:19

Kelley USA wrote:Well, might be time to finally update the thread name! Could have us a 50 story tower soon.

Oh Wow! Great, I hope some East Coasters can give some Dallas Developers a run for their money!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Jun 2022 15:28

Kelley USA wrote:Well, might be time to finally update the thread name! Could have us a 50 story tower soon.

That's a significant update, wonder how serious they are?

DFW

Postby DFW » 15 Jun 2022 15:30

No mention of a 50-story tower under Atlanta Portman’s website yet, but then it could be updated soon. Hopefully this does happen but I won’t believe it till I see it, we are living in a precarious economy right now.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 15 Jun 2022 15:42

Steve Brown's once-every-six-months marketing piece. A service he provides to commercial real estate developers.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Jun 2022 16:19

If you go to the Residential page, they do have the project listed. Click on projects and wait for it to scroll across.

https://portmanresidential.com/#projects

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 15 Jun 2022 17:46

I was thinking when this was first announced that none of the towers were going to be visible over One Arts Plaza when viewed from the north. Jon Anderson over Candy's Dirt once wrote about how not enough thought was put into the skyline impact of One Arts Plaza.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 15 Jun 2022 17:47

Just putting this here for context so some of y'all can make more sense of this, because I'm lost (Steve Brown ain't helping).
Attached two images to this post. One is the render we got back in December 2021 when this project was first announced. Second is the image/render we got today (also included the screenshot of the project on Portman's site that Kelley USA mentioned).
DallasGatewayRenderDec2021.png

DallasGatewayRenderFull.png

DallasGatewayRenderDetailsFull.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Arts District: Dallas Gateway | Portman Holdings

Postby undefinedprocess » 15 Jun 2022 17:59

Split this into its own separate thread. Formerly part of The Spire topic, but since this is the second update on this project we've received (yes, I'm aware it may just be a Steve puff piece, but the new render showing a 50-story mixed-use tower is completely new, so humor me).

Spire thread still exists, and for right now, will continue to be a place for new Spire land sales (they haven't sold all of their land yet; Portman only bought a portion). If/when new projects arise from former Spire land, we'll make sure those get split into new threads as well.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 15 Jun 2022 20:48

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this seem like a pretty sure thing since they announced an anchor tenant for the office building?

"And The Dallas office of Foundry Commercial will lease the 400,000 square foot office tower."

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 Jun 2022 21:13

I take it to mean that this is the leasing agent

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 16 Jun 2022 08:06

I45Tex wrote:I take it to mean that this is the leasing agent

Ha! Duh. That makes more sense.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2022 09:12

undefinedprocess wrote:Split this into its own separate thread. Formerly part of The Spire topic, but since this is the second update on this project we've received (yes, I'm aware it may just be a Steve puff piece, but the new render showing a 50-story mixed-use tower is completely new, so humor me).

Spire thread still exists, and for right now, will continue to be a place for new Spire land sales (they haven't sold all of their land yet; Portman only bought a portion). If/when new projects arise from former Spire land, we'll make sure those get split into new threads as well.

I have been of the opinion that the best way to get another tall 50 floor tower built in downtown is mixed use.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Jun 2022 14:11

Tnexster wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:Split this into its own separate thread. Formerly part of The Spire topic, but since this is the second update on this project we've received (yes, I'm aware it may just be a Steve puff piece, but the new render showing a 50-story mixed-use tower is completely new, so humor me).

I have been of the opinion that the best way to get another tall 50 floor tower built in downtown is mixed use.

I agree. There just isn't that huge need for office space alone anymore.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 16 Jun 2022 16:26

Too bad our local developers don’t like to do these more complicated mixed-use towers.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 16 Jun 2022 16:47

Except Portman is an Atlanta based firm and they have done lots of mixed use projects there.

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Jun 2022 17:08

scott2 wrote:Except Portman is an Atlanta based firm and they have done lots of mixed use projects there.

Indeed. That's the differentiator with this project.

Unfortunately, most out-of-state developers are only interested in going to Austin...

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 16 Jun 2022 18:03

There is a PDF online at a Portman site. Many close-up renderings and a hefty amount of crazed marketing language.

https://www.portman.app > Dallas Gateway

DFW

Postby DFW » 16 Jun 2022 19:23

Wow! Very impressive renders, hope it will happen.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 16 Jun 2022 19:54

DFW wrote:Wow! Very impressive renders, hope it will happen.

I hope so, too. There is a very intriguing sort of deconstructed chapel restaurant space on the corner of Ross and Routh that would be next to the tallest tower. Interesting contrast if built to match the renderings, which I know is often not the case.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 Jun 2022 00:05

OrangeMike wrote:

I hope so, too. There is a very intriguing sort of deconstructed chapel restaurant space on the corner of Ross and Routh that would be next to the tallest tower. Interesting contrast if built to match the renderings, which I know is often not the case.

For some reason, my gut is telling me this one is a go. Portman has deep pockets and they bought this piece of land with the intention of building on it. The DMNews story says that they are targeting mid-2023 to break ground, which means they are buying the material to build the building right now, plus doing all of the preliminary engineering. Despite the economic turmoil we are seeing, it seems like a solid project. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Last edited by rono3849 on 17 Jun 2022 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 Jun 2022 10:31

For some reason, I'm feeling good about this project happening too. I don't know anything about the developer, but they seem like they have a reliable track record and their start date of mid 2023 seems reasonable too.

I suppose the big unknown is how the economy will fare going forward. Given how recently this news was announced, I have to suspect that they knew the economic situation going into this and it's not like they are going to be caught off guard.

I guess we will wait and see what happens. It would be really exciting to see some action in this part of town!
Last edited by potatocoins on 17 Jun 2022 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jun 2022 10:37

rono3849 wrote:
OrangeMike wrote:

For some reason, my gut is telling me this one is a go. Portman has deep pockets and they bought this piece of land with the intention of building on it. The DMNews story says that they are targeting early 2023 to break ground, which means they are buying the material to build the building right now, plus doing all of the preliminary engineering. Despite the economic turmoil we are seeing, it seems like a solid project. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Just to keep the excitement under control, the DMN story says mid-2023, not early 2023.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 17 Jun 2022 12:38

Wish they listed how tall it will be. Renderings can sometimes be deceptive, but it looks to be 700’ plus maybe around same height as chase tower. I hope so

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jun 2022 13:23

zblevinz555 wrote:Wish they listed how tall it will be. Renderings can sometimes be deceptive, but it looks to be 700’ plus maybe around same height as chase tower. I hope so

Seems unlikely it would be as tall as Chase Tower. Chase is 55 floors of office. This is only 50 floors and that includes parking, some floors of office and the rest residential. Both parking and residential will generally have significantly shorter floors.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Jun 2022 17:00

I imagine it will be taller than Amli Fountain Place, so it should be in the 600-700 range.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 15:37

It will be taller than Hall Arts District for sure but they had preexisting buried parking to build on. Here its all above ground so above-ground parking gets you lots of extra height to get that ego boost many of you want for Downtown by height.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 27 Jun 2022 15:57

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It will be taller than Hall Arts District for sure but they had preexisting buried parking to build on. Here its all above ground so above-ground parking gets you lots of extra height to get that ego boost many of you want for Downtown by height.

I bet it winds up being taller than any of the buildings in the Hunt/Goldman-Sachs project since that's only going to be 15 to 20 stories now. Heck, the announced Isosceles Tower's 47-story height is taller than anything in the Hunt/G-S development.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 12:00

While I may have done the comparison with Hall Arts cause Craig Hall was so negative on the Arts District demand for so many years lets not drag GoldmanS/Hunt Realty unconfirmed towers into this thread lol. Portman certainly seems like the Urby developers they rolled in bought land, made an announcement, and got the project started and leased. These out-of-town developers are great they don't pause for applause and quiet reflection.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 28 Jun 2022 13:02

Yes, I remember Craig Hall being very negative about demand for his Arts District site, hence his small conservative buildings. Seems like a missed opportunity for doing something bigger and grander. On the other hand, Portman’s current plans and scale have grown since they bought the property.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 13:27

And Craig Hall still has a giant parking lot near this one next to formerly Chase Tower so he could one day launch something of a similar scale. I imagine he will let Portman improve the value of his site and build up his Frisco project long before he considers another phase on the large parking lot he owns across from the Arts District. I just checked DCAD based on lessons I learned from other threads and Craig still owns it and Portman has not bought any more land from Spire yet.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 21 Aug 2022 14:48

image_2022-08-21_145607429.png

Any rumblings about the Portman Holdings' tower? I know we're in the dead weeks of Summer, but sometimes someone leaks new info...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 21 Aug 2022 15:20

There were some new more detailed renders in their updated brochure. https://www.portman.app/s/Dallas-Retail ... educed.pdf

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 21 Aug 2022 16:13

Cool. I wish we knew the height

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 21 Aug 2022 22:55

dallaz wrote:Cool. I wish we knew the height

It looks like the tallest tower is 48 to 50 stories & the second tallest is around 30 to 34 stories, while the smallest tower appears to be around 20 to 25 stories.

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Aug 2022 23:16

Love the project. Interesting that they seem to like San Jacinto better than Ross.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Aug 2022 09:12

Looks like at least 500' which is great. Just wish someone would actually build one of these things. We always seem to get the pretty pics and then a big zero on execution.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 22 Aug 2022 12:24

Tnexster wrote:Looks like at least 500' which is great. Just wish someone would actually build one of these things. We always seem to get the pretty pics and then a big zero on execution.

Portman Holdings look to be an aggressive real estate company if you look at their online portfolio. This kind of multi-use development is their specialty. Perhaps they are more like Urby Development out of the New York area and will get the dirt moving soon. Hopefully, it may spur some of the proposed developments on the Eastside of Downtown to proceed off of paper into reality.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Aug 2022 19:22

This looks cool and all but my confidence level is low. Hopefully I'm wrong!

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 23 Aug 2022 09:43

Anyone else feel like Steve Brown lurks around this site. Seems like we post something and then boom an article in the paper the next day

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 Aug 2022 10:19

MC_ScattCat wrote:Anyone else feel like Steve Brown lurks around this site. Seems like we post something and then boom an article in the paper the next day

Yep :D

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 Aug 2022 10:26

dallaz wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:Anyone else feel like Steve Brown lurks around this site. Seems like we post something and then boom an article in the paper the next day

Isn’t that what he is supposed to do? Gather information from various sources and share it with the public? Otherwise, it’s just fluff pieces from the developers looking for free publicity. I try to remember that most readers of the DMN aren’t on this forum and SB may be their only source of RE development information.

But to answer your question, “Yes, it does seem like some stories start here and end up there.”

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 23 Aug 2022 11:09

Hi, Steve Brown!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 Aug 2022 11:13

LongonBigD wrote:
dallaz wrote:

Isn’t that what he is supposed to do? Gather information from various sources and share it with the public? Otherwise, it’s just fluff pieces from the developers looking for free publicity. I try to remember that most readers of the DMN aren’t on this forum and SB may be their only source of RE development information.

But to answer your question, “Yes, it does seem like some stories start here and end up there.”

Never said it was a bad thing, it’s just funny that I wasn’t the only one thinking it.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 23 Aug 2022 14:20

Just wish his name was a little less boring like Peter Puffingstone