Dallas Arts District: Dallas Gateway | Portman Holdings

Tucy

Re: Dallas Arts District: Dallas Gateway | Portman Holdings

Postby Tucy » 10 Mar 2023 09:39

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Can anyone find any FAA, TDLR, or city building permit filings?

Well, I don't have any information on that, but you can drive by the site and see for yourself that something is going on there. These were nice sized pieces of equipment.

What has that equipment been up to?

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 10 Mar 2023 17:13

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:Can anyone find any FAA, TDLR, or city building permit filings?

Well, I don't have any information on that, but you can drive by the site and see for yourself that something is going on there. These were nice sized pieces of equipment.

I haven't been by that site in some time. I'll check it out.

DFW

Postby DFW » 10 Mar 2023 19:48

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:

I went by there four days ago and the equipment was still there at the eastern portion of the construction site that is fenced around. Although that same construction equipment has been sitting there for a while since someone else mentioned it a few weeks ago. Also the storm we had a week ago blew down a section of the fence on the south side.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 Mar 2023 20:33

Live YouTube Webcam with partial view of the site

It may get even more difficult to see once the trees starts to leaf back up.

https://www.youtube.com/live/CfMejzW1Rn4?feature=share

Edit: Link is no longer working

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Mar 2023 14:13

DFW wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:

I went by there four days ago and the equipment was still there at the eastern portion of the construction site that is fenced around. Although that same construction equipment has been sitting there for a while since someone else mentioned it a few weeks ago. Also the storm we had a week ago blew down a section of the fence on the south side.

So the equipment is just sitting there? Earlier it had been implied that something was being done, not just that equipment was parked there...

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 Apr 2023 16:50

Still can't find any building permit applications for this.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 04 Apr 2023 19:00

Tucy wrote:Still can't find any building permit applications for this.

Like everything else, if it's not broken ground, this won't be happening anytime soon. Money is frozen.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 05 Apr 2023 07:06

I agree it may be a slow go for anything not permitted and moving dirt.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 05 Apr 2023 12:07

rono3849 wrote:Like everything else, if it's not broken ground, this won't be happening anytime soon. Money is frozen.

Yeah, the current building phase is done. Projects already financed/started will finish up and things will be quiet for a while but eventually all these nebulous proposals around Dallas will spring back up in a couple years with new designs. I had hoped more would get done inside the loop during this phase but alas. Still so many damn surface lots, this one included.
The saving grace is the pause will likely spare us from that awful new field st district proposal.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Apr 2023 13:36

A little pause is good. The money will collect around the best sites soon enough. Municipal and university construction projects on tap are huge, so the workers will still be around.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 05 Apr 2023 20:22

tamtagon wrote:A little pause is good. The money will collect around the best sites soon enough. Municipal and university construction projects on tap are huge, so the workers will still be around.

Portman_Dallas+Gateway.south.view.jpg

UT Southwestern alone has two huge projects on tap and UT has the money on its own to build these projects. I do like this Portman Holdings development, so I've got my fingers crossed that it will eventually come out of the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 Jun 2023 15:24

This one has gone radio silent, so it may be the victim of tight lending practices by the banks despite it primarily being a residential development.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 19 Nov 2023 00:38

Portman.Holdings.dallas.Gateway.towers.North.view.jpg

Heard anything on this one? All's quiet on the Eastern front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rono3849 on 19 Nov 2023 23:26, edited 3 times in total.

dzh

Postby dzh » 19 Nov 2023 11:28

I'm sure financing hold ups unfortunately. It's gonna be some tough years ahead. I think this does get built eventually, but could be 3-10 years before constructions starts. (Red Development did eventually build the Union in Uptown, I believe they started construction 7 years after announcing it).

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 06 Dec 2023 10:12

Finances are obviously the biggest question. Who knows if they had loans secured prior to announcement or not. Likely not, as they probably would've started construction already, but there are so many moving pieces in these projects so who knows (yes, no permit applications is worrisome in its own right). MSD Capital has been able to get the Knox/Travis project moving dirt now, so who knows – maybe the dust is settling and developers/lenders are readjusting to what I'll candidly call "the new financial and economic reality."

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 06 Dec 2023 13:37

Portman Holdings is not a fly-by-night developer, so I think they are a solid bet. They'll make the move when it's ready to go & on their on timeline. The development is primarily residential, with about 40% of the major tower containing offices. They might modify that by including a hotel. Since the ground hasn't been broken, anything is possible.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 18 Feb 2024 22:41

https://mmgrea.com/dallas-4q23/

I looked at this but still don’t see anything on TDLR or anywhere else.

If you scroll down and search for Dallas Gateway it shows the first phase which is the tallest structure of 150 luxury residences/office started 12/2023 and ends 12/2025. Not sure how accurate this site is but found it interesting. Anything going on at this site now?

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 19 Feb 2024 03:52

https://youtu.be/VI-jAidMiRM?si=J6hHKhwxtiSCOmCt

Hopefully dirt will fly this year. Looks like he said one of the smaller structures would be first.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 19 Feb 2024 15:32

Right now there is nothing. The usual wasteland of gently rolling asphalt prairies, pristine curated toilet paper positioned carefully in key locations, traffic cones thrown on a roof as art pieces, ancient civilization power poles to nowhere, and, practically no cars using any of the lots anywhere.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 19 Feb 2024 22:20

zblevinz555 wrote:https://youtu.be/VI-jAidMiRM?si=J6hHKhwxtiSCOmCt

Hopefully dirt will fly this year. Looks like he said one of the smaller structures would be first.

It was great to hear that this development is still in the pipeline. As suspected, the uptick in interest rates & COVID's impact on office vacancy slowed the company's plans to break ground, but it certainly sounds like they are bullish on building the entire development. Additionally, they are looking at the adjacent parking lots for potential purchase for future plans as well. Uptown & Victory areas are nearing critical mass, so the Arts District and Field Street District look to be natural areas for the next expansion Downtown.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 19 Feb 2024 23:02

rono3849 wrote:
zblevinz555 wrote:https://youtu.be/VI-jAidMiRM?si=J6hHKhwxtiSCOmCt

It was great to hear that this development is still in the pipeline. As suspected, the uptick in interest rates & COVID's impact on office vacancy slowed the company's plans to break ground, but it certainly sounds like they are bullish on building the entire development. Additionally, they are looking at the adjacent parking lots for potential purchase for future plans as well. Uptown & Victory areas are nearing critical mass, so the Arts District and Field Street District look to be natural areas for the next expansion Downtown.

Thanks for translating that. I think it’s definitely a go but just a matter of those factors you mentioned coming into place. Would be a great addition to downtown.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 20 Feb 2024 08:38

That video indeed had some good info. The biggest thing that got my attention was, echoing above, that the other larger parking lot area is on their mind. That one has been on my mind for ages as well, haha!

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 25 Feb 2024 13:02

Thank you for sharing that video. Will echo the sentiment of others. Great to hear that it's still in the pipeline.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Feb 2024 08:17

Huge downtown Dallas project still in works, with potential to reshape Arts District, real estate exec says
Developer believes in Arts District as Uptown is almost built out

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... plans.html

Facing the same challenges as everyone wanting to build office towers in the post-pandemic era, an Atlanta-based developer hopes to get moving soon on a huge project that would bring life to a desolate corner of the Arts District.

In 2021, with the help of a $20 million loan from Bank OZK, Portman Holdings bought about 3.6 acres at 2500 Ross Ave. The company then revealed plans to build three high-rises, the tallest being up to 50 stories, with 450,000 square feet of office space, 800 to 900 residences, retail and public green space.
The project, Dallas Gateway, is still on the drawing board, according to Scott Miller, vice president of development at Portman Residential, who shared the latest updates in December on local commercial real estate podcast Working Title with Zach Sams. Miller said he's unsure when the three-year project will begin but that he hoped to get started in 2024.

Miller said the Dallas project is phased so the buildings can start separately of each other. The first building will be a multifamily tower with some retail, and an office component is still planned later down the line.

"We're still bullish on office — cautiously optimistic would probably be the better word — but we still plan on building office in the future," Miller said. He mentioned that as tech tenants in Austin started pulling back on office space, the company switched an office component of its development there to multifamily.

Miller is especially a big believer in the Arts District. He said Portman's site has several advantages in size and location. The company has a big footprint for downtown with 3.5 acres and is also eying an adjacent 8 acres.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 27 Feb 2024 12:57

Probably good that they were willing to tell the public about their eyeing the adjacent 8 acres.

mbsharp30

Postby mbsharp30 » 29 Feb 2024 12:27

I checked the CoStar report on this property and it looks like they plan on starting construction June of this year.

DFW

Postby DFW » 29 Feb 2024 19:50

Let’s hope they do start,this could be the game changer for downtown to in courage other developers.