Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Tnexster

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2022 11:59

It looks like the left over garage is string on top of the Goldman towers footprint.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 12 Oct 2022 19:57

Today's demolition progress:

No clue why these appear upside down. Click on the pic to see it right side up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 13 Oct 2022 11:07

Glad these are gone. Would love to see a tower at that parking lot across from Tom Thumb and also the El Fenix properties go up.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Oct 2022 12:30

JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 14 Oct 2022 11:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.

When money talks, buildings crumble.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 14 Oct 2022 13:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.

And that's basically all apartment projects for the past several decades. Nothing's built to last and it shows in their designs. It sucks.
Don't have to worry about a historic landmark designation if nothing lasts long enough to reach it. :lol:

On the other hand I understand wanting to be malleable for future population growth, but when everything is disposable it makes for a pretty ugly city. These apartments were awful, but their replacement looks no less disposable, which I guess is my chief bummer about it. It's impossible to imagine the GS structure getting built without simultaneously seeing it get torn down in the same blink of historical time, and it will not have earned a single shed tear when that day comes.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 20 Oct 2022 16:26

The last of the vertical structures is about to come down. All the concrete foundations are still in place. They have moved at a brisk pace.

Again, no idea why the thumbnails are upside down, but click on them to see it right side up. Anyone that can tell me how to prevent that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Oct 2022 17:42

^^ I hope the trees are saved a long the perimeter.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Oct 2022 11:48

It's a hard fight cause now the root systems are disturbed, and saving them where they at they could die during construction but also, if they are moved they are likely to die as well despite even the best efforts.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 25 Oct 2022 14:00

Current status....

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Oct 2022 14:37

These apartments were awful, but their replacement looks no less disposable, which I guess is my chief bummer about it.

These apartments were awesome. Maybe they are disposable now, but there used to be an empty burned out factory next to the AAC when it first opened, and some friends lived here and I was pretty jealous. This area was basically BFE, and they took a chance and built a complex here. In 1999 through like 2010, every apartment was required to be fenced in by most DFW cities. These apartments were like hair metal, kind of cool but blown away by the harder rap and grunge that came later as public ideas dramatically changed.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 25 Oct 2022 15:59

I never lived in these apartments but they seemed fine to me, and I'm okay with the fact that buildings are being built with the intention of being razed/replaced sometime down the line.

It sounds like these apartments served their purpose and made use of the land for what it was worth at the time. Now it's worth a lot more, and I'm so glad that it is being replaced and not sticking around much longer.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 26 Oct 2022 09:59

I lived at North End for 7 years when I first moved to Dallas and it was a great place. They were built before the AAC was and were adjacent to a brownfield. At the time, there's no way there was a higher and better use than 4-story apartments and they were quite pioneering then with the best pool/social scene in downtown/uptown for young adults. Once the AAC and Victory Park happened there was always a redevelopment plan in mind for the future. Those apartments served as a great home for +/- 800 people for over 20 years when there was almost no residential density in the area.

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Nov 2022 04:43

With the apartments gone you can finally appreciate the size of the site— ginormous. They can build a lot of stuff here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Nov 2022 09:21

Looking down on this from our office a couple days ago it looked like they have already scraped all of the foundations out, just saw a bunch of shallow holes where the buildings used to be. Wonder when they will start digging on Goldman

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 02 Nov 2022 09:54

Huge site, and looks like they are moving fast. Hope they can get the construction underway - must be ugly to have financing on a non-cashflow producing peice of land right now.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 03 Nov 2022 17:19

Across from the Perot you can see where they have removed the concrete and exposed the underlying dirt.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 21 Nov 2022 13:38

All but one of the excavators are off site. Not much change over the last several days.
There is still a lot of the old concrete foundation in place, so not sure what the plan is for getting rid of it.
The bottom right corner of the first pic shows some street work being done on Houston in relation to this project. Maybe some pipes or other utility.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 23 Nov 2022 09:53

Still no clear picture of what this will actually look like?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 29 Nov 2022 02:58

Glad they've actually left some trees at the site.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Nov 2022 09:01

Driving by the other night was the first time I got to see this site since the tear-down and it was surreal to see the lit-up Victory/AT&T Plaza from Woodall Rodgers. It really seems to bring Victory Park "closer" to downtown visually, at least, and I hope this sense isn't lost when the GS campus is done.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Nov 2022 18:53

ContriveDallasite wrote:Glad they've actually left some trees at the site.

I hope I’m not just being cynical, but the trees are the LAST thing to go before they dig the hole. A gaping hole where the tree was in the ground is a huge liability. I’ve seen it first hand a few times. I noticed this just the other day (maybe on Carlisle street) that the buildings were scraped but the trees remained. I remember what the footprint will be on the new construction, and trees can’t stay there.

Perhaps they hope to leave some of these trees for the park, but that rarely ends well. It’s just too stressful for the tree.