Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Tnexster
Posts: 3222
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jul 2022 12:24

New Dallas Design District apartment tower kicks off leasing
27-story Urban high-rise is seeking first tenants.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... f-leasing/

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3041
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2022 15:44

It's still very much under construction and not ready for any touring, so like the article says, they are vetting priority tours for real potential tenants. The amenities are very, very much under construction, but with properties like this, people will move in long before a pool is ready or the gym is open.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Urbancowboy
Posts: 54
Joined: 18 Jan 2019 00:19

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby Urbancowboy » 15 Jul 2022 22:35

Great location and the views of Uptown and Downtown from this building will be amazing.

User avatar
undefinedprocess
Site Admin
Posts: 466
Joined: 05 Jul 2020 05:45
Contact:

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby undefinedprocess » 02 Aug 2022 18:28

Urbancowboy wrote:Great location and the views of Uptown and Downtown from this building will be amazing.

Hoping to tour ASAP (for RE work). Will post photos whenever I do (been thinking about those views every since the tower was announced). Whole city in view and you hardly have to turn your head!

User avatar
CTroyMathis
Site Admin
Posts: 586
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 19:51

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby CTroyMathis » 05 Aug 2022 11:11

undefinedprocess wrote:
Urbancowboy wrote:Great location and the views of Uptown and Downtown from this building will be amazing.

Hoping to tour ASAP (for RE work). Will post photos whenever I do (been thinking about those views every since the tower was announced). Whole city in view and you hardly have to turn your head!

Sounds good.

Just inserting the data below for posterity:

Code: Select all

Reported: 7/20/2022
Project Title   
Track Project
Urby Tower 2 / Phase 2
Project Type      New Construction
Physical Address      1960 Hi Line Drive  Map
City, State (County)      Dallas, TX 75207   (Dallas County)
Category(s)      Commercial, Heavy and Highway, Residential
Sub-Category(s)      Multi-Family Homes, Parking Garage, Retail
Contracting Method      Bids by Invitation.
Project Status      Construction Documents, Construction Start Expected August 2022, Construction Completion Expected August 2024,
Estimated Value      Less than $99,000,000
Architect
   
5G Studio Collaborative   Websites   Analysis   
1217 Main St Ste 500
Dallas, TX 752023940   (214) 670-0050
fax: (214) 670-0052
Developer
   
Ironstate Development   Websites   Analysis   
50 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030   (201) 963-5200
fax: (201) 963-5020
General Contractor
   
Moss Construction   Websites   Analysis   
6950 Tpc Dr Ste 300
McKinney, TX 75070   (469) 625-9022
Description      364 apartments, 27 stories, one-story retail and lobby structure, nine-story parking garage.

As of July 19, 2022, a general contractor has been selected. A building permit application is on file with the City of Dallas Building Department and is under review. A firm timeline has not bee established, but construction is expected to begin August 2022.

*Project information, including timeline and contacts, has been obtained through public sources. The content management team continues to pursue additional details; however, the contact(s) listed have yet to disclose or confirm any information. Inquiries should be directed to the contact(s) listed.

Tnexster
Posts: 3222
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby Tnexster » 05 Aug 2022 14:38

So hopefully within days this one turns dirt.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby rono3849 » 05 Aug 2022 16:50

Tnexster wrote:So hopefully within days this one turns dirt.


These folks from the NY/NJ metro area don't just mess around. They mean business.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1980
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Aug 2022 18:22

Why can't local developers be as committed as out of Towners? This team has been committed since day 1. Love to see it.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 1398
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby R1070 » 05 Aug 2022 23:02

We need more developers from outside of Dallas to snatch up these lots. Even Houston and Austin developers are a lot more ambitious. The Dallas developers are very conservative with their developments.

User avatar
citygeek
Posts: 80
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 13:44
Location: DFW-Tampa Bay

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby citygeek » 06 Aug 2022 09:11

Most all of the large skyscrapers of the 80's in Dallas were the result of Canadian (mostly Toronto) developers. Campeau, Bramalea,Cadillac-Fairview and others as I recall were fearless (or foolish, as the case may be)......Anyway, I could not agree more with your comment R1070. The big local boys then as now, were Trammel Crow and Lincoln. Hines of Houston has always built larger and better designed projects in Houston, Austin and everywhere else they build. Dallas always tends to cheap out in the actual construction design once underway and worse, they get away with because the market here will accept it..... Just look at forums like ours in other major cities or Skyscraper page sites. You tube has great videos of downtown projects both under construction and planned in a host of other cities. Hell we can't even build decent looking parking garages for the most part. Anyway, we are getting some better looking buildings now, just wish we had more of them.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

User avatar
mhainli
Posts: 82
Joined: 02 Mar 2017 17:56

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby mhainli » 06 Aug 2022 11:38

citygeek wrote:Most all of the large skyscrapers of the 80's in Dallas were the result of Canadian (mostly Toronto) developers. Campeau, Bramalea,Cadillac-Fairview and others as I recall were fearless (or foolish, as the case may be)......Anyway, I could not agree more with your comment R1070. The big local boys then as now, were Trammel Crow and Lincoln. Hines of Houston has always built larger and better designed projects in Houston, Austin and everywhere else they build. Dallas always tends to cheap out in the actual construction design once underway and worse, they get away with because the market here will accept it..... Just look at forums like ours in other major cities or Skyscraper page sites. You tube has great videos of downtown projects both under construction and planned in a host of other cities. Hell we can't even build decent looking parking garages for the most part. Anyway, we are getting some better looking buildings now, just wish we had more of them.

Agree! Most of our local developers (TC, Lincoln, Hillwood, Hall, Harwood, etc.) don’t seem interested in doing a world class development- even when they have the premium location for it… As for the ugly parking garages, I blame the city. Stricter and more expensive treatment requirements should have been in place years ago. No wonder developers here would rather build above ground parking garages. Case in point, the Victory Park parking garages backing up to IH-35. Yuk..

User avatar
thelivingworld
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2021 02:06

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby thelivingworld » 06 Aug 2022 12:41

mhainli wrote:Agree! Most of our local developers (TC, Lincoln, Hillwood, Hall, Harwood, etc.) don’t seem interested in doing a world class development- even when they have the premium location for it… As for the ugly parking garages, I blame the city. Stricter and more expensive treatment requirements should have been in place years ago. No wonder developers here would rather build above ground parking garages. Case in point, the Victory Park parking garages backing up to IH-35. Yuk..

The Dallas developers are national names and got where they are by building cheaply and by building on a speculative basis and anticipating the next big thing. Dallas got started by getting convincing people that the Trinity River was navigable and by convincing the H&TC and T&P railroads to change their routes to pass through Dallas. Trammell Crow and Ross Perot are of sort of legends around these parts for their work ethic and vision so it's no wonder the holders of their legacy hold sway here. Purportedly, Trammell Crow started the first modern atrium and the first fast-tracked high-rises in America (building the foundations and first few floors before the design was completed for the upper floors).

This is an exert from the 1984 Texas Monthly article on Trammell Crow:
"At the corner of Bryan and Harwood stands a brand-new post-modern skyscraper, all granite and graceful lines, built by the Toronto developers Olympia and York. Once you walk into that building, though, it becomes cold and uninviting—the lobby is small and claustrophobic, and the granite seems menacing instead of graceful. The building was completed more than a year ago, yet almost 40 per cent of its floor space remains empty. You can’t say that about a Crow building."

User avatar
citygeek
Posts: 80
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 13:44
Location: DFW-Tampa Bay

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby citygeek » 06 Aug 2022 14:05

Oh yeah. Forgot about Olympia and York. Jesus that's a long time ago.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 1238
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Aug 2022 10:03

I agree with most of this, and if you consider Mathews Southwest a Canadian developer then it's hard to argue that these out-of-towners don't end up doing more to transform the skyline than the local developers.

Then again it was another Canadian firm, Cadillac Fairview, that did the most damage to the downtown core back in the 70s and 80s. I don't have their list of casualties handy, but I wanna say they destroyed a couple of the Theatre Row movie houses, the 5-way intersection that became 1700 Pacific, and maybe the Volk Brothers building that added so much character to the Main Street District.

Not trying to compare historic downtown buildings with some run-down warehouse in the Design District, but I guess the point is "be careful what you wish for."

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 10.16.10 AM.jpg

February 24 1980_Page_1.jpg
February 24 1980_Page_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
DBadger
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 16:46

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby DBadger » 09 Aug 2022 11:01

Wow. Steve Brown Circa 1980...

User avatar
thelivingworld
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2021 02:06

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby thelivingworld » 10 Aug 2022 04:12

Audio/Visual context for that Cadillac Fairview story: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531 ... 245948/m1/

They now own a 50% stake in KDC and have set up a $800 million dollar development venture with them along with investing in Lincoln Property back in 2019. They sold their Dallas holdings along with the rest of their US holdings to JMB Realty back in 1987. They built Pacific Place, 1700 Pacific and Comerica Bank Tower. D-Magazine story back in 1982 on the Canadian Retreat: https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... n-retreat/

Units now available at the Urby starting from $2200 for 1br and $3600 for 2br, available to move-in starting 8/15/22. Square footage isn't listed but my rough calculations is the smallest unit is around 450sqft. https://www.urby.com/dallas

User avatar
Dallas_Uptown
Posts: 32
Joined: 28 Nov 2016 19:26

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 10 Aug 2022 11:35

thelivingworld wrote:Audio/Visual context for that Cadillac Fairview story: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531 ... 245948/m1/

They now own a 50% stake in KDC and have set up a $800 million dollar development venture with them along with investing in Lincoln Property back in 2019. They sold their Dallas holdings along with the rest of their US holdings to JMB Realty back in 1987. They built Pacific Place, 1700 Pacific and Comerica Bank Tower. D-Magazine story back in 1982 on the Canadian Retreat: https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... n-retreat/

Units now available at the Urby starting from $2200 for 1br and $3600 for 2br, available to move-in starting 8/15/22. Square footage isn't listed but my rough calculations is the smallest unit is around 450sqft. https://www.urby.com/dallas


Great find!

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 1238
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Design District: Urby Dallas I + II (~308 FT | 27 ST)

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Aug 2022 16:28

DBadger wrote:Wow. Steve Brown Circa 1980...


Back when he probably liked his job.