Restaurants: general news/development

Tucy

Re: Restaurants: general news/development

Postby Tucy » 02 Sep 2021 14:48

THRILLHO wrote:I'm amused they want to call Allen a "Dallas location" but not the North Richland Hills one. Neither are in Dallas, neither are in Dallas county, and they're equally as far from Dallas :lol:

But anyways, I've been to the North Richland Hills one and it was pretty good.

Probably because North Richland Hills is more Fort Worth (Tarrant County; Fort Worth division of the DFW-Arlington metro area)

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 02 Sep 2021 14:53

Oh I totally understand, I just find it funny. For folks in west Dallas the north richland hills one would probably be more convenient than this "Dallas location." :D
When I read "first Dallas location" I usually expect either the first in all of DFW or the first within the city proper.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Sep 2021 15:05

THRILLHO wrote:I'm amused they want to call Allen a "Dallas location" but not the North Richland Hills one. Neither are in Dallas, neither are in Dallas county, and they're equally as far from Dallas :lol:

There's a "Texas BBQ" restaurant based out of Atlanta (called Hattie Marie's) that recently opened an outpost in Hurst, and they also bill that location as "Dallas."

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Sep 2021 15:09

Tucy wrote:

Probably because North Richland Hills is more Fort Worth (Tarrant County; Fort Worth division of the DFW-Arlington metro area)

I know some Fort Worth / Tarrant County residents can get real salty about this, but many outsiders really do see the entire Metroplex as "Dallas."

Not saying it's right, but that's the perception and perception can be reality.

EDIT: And in all fairness, the Twin Cities have the same thing going on (to many outsiders, it's all "Minneapolis.").

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 03 Sep 2021 10:51

Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:

I know some Fort Worth / Tarrant County residents can get real salty about this, but many outsiders really do see the entire Metroplex as "Dallas."

Not saying it's right, but that's the perception and perception can be reality.

EDIT: And in all fairness, the Twin Cities have the same thing going on (to many outsiders, it's all "Minneapolis.").

This is true. Even when people are bashing "dallas" on other forums talking about how it's bland or whatever I ask them what part of "dallas" do you live in and they always seem to be from Mansfield or little elm or somewhere like that and I'm like that's not dallas!!

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 14 Sep 2021 14:08

Here is a long list of upcoming restaurant openings.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... fall-2021/

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 21 Sep 2021 07:57

I noticed yesterday that the Sweetgreen salad restaurant is in progress to take over the former Brooks Brothers space in West Village. I am guessing a late October opening.

https://dallas.eater.com/2021/3/25/2235 ... inter-2021

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Sep 2021 10:24

Looks like some good changes are finally happening in the West Village some very long time tenants are moving out and spaces that were once retail are now becoming restaurants. I wonder what big change is next.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 22 Sep 2021 23:27

Agree. Just need to take care of the problem bars a tad further south on McKinney so we can stop having to watch out for gunshots constantly !

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Sep 2021 08:37

I havent heard of any issues south of the West Village on McKinney Avenue in a long time since most of the bar scene moved to Deep Ellum is there as much trouble? I ask this honestly cause all I see are the Deep Ellum headlines and I live in Oak Lawn and was never a Uptown bar hopper. Once Big AL's, Idle Rich, Gingerman and BBC closed I kind of mentally checked out.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Sep 2021 10:25

Someone was standing in the middle of McKinney shooting at a car and a pedestrian was struck. This was just recently.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Sep 2021 11:47

You right I saw that video on the DallasTX Instagram. Based on the trajectory of Uptown with the way places have been rotating out I am sure that kind of behavior is not gonna last much longer.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Sep 2021 16:15

DallasTX TV is a national treasure. I believe there have also been multiple instances of people driving cars into S&D Oyster Company (among other businesses).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Sep 2021 18:49

2 different cars drove through S&D Oyster within the same 6 month period. Less bars, means less people means more runway for the occasional drunk to have a lead foot and create his own drive through restaurant. One of those drive throughs was during dinner service not the crazy 1 am wasted hour many would assume. No one drives through Deep Ellum bars drunk like that because there are too many people and other cars in the way to do so. What is left over in Uptown is a few idiots sure but nothing like Deep Ellum is dealing with these days.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 26 Sep 2021 15:12

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I havent heard of any issues south of the West Village on McKinney Avenue in a long time since most of the bar scene moved to Deep Ellum is there as much trouble? I ask this honestly cause all I see are the Deep Ellum headlines and I live in Oak Lawn and was never a Uptown bar hopper. Once Big AL's, Idle Rich, Gingerman and BBC closed I kind of mentally checked out.

I wasn’t thinking of that far South of West Village actually. This is not the right thread I’m sure but issue is the gunshot/fights etc at HHH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2021 09:56

evidence is evidence and it looks like there are a few contributors to the areas peace and quiet.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 10 Mar 2022 10:25

Looks like Fatburger likes DFW.

In a few months (likely June or July), a new Fatburger will open on Dallas Parkway in west Plano, between Park Blvd. and the Costco store.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... uth-plano/

Addison

Postby Addison » 25 Mar 2022 22:57

itsjrd1964 wrote:Looks like Fatburger likes DFW.

In a few months (likely June or July), a new Fatburger will open on Dallas Parkway in west Plano, between Park Blvd. and the Costco store.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... uth-plano/

Fatburger has struggled with franchising / expansion for a long time outside of their stomping ground in Los Angeles. I remember them making a debut in Detroit about 10-15 years ago and they bombed pretty spectacularly.

I'm surprised though that they seem to be doing so well in the uber-competitive and cut throat market for restaurants that is DFW. I suppose part of it could be the same reason In-N-Out was a hit (a ton of LA transplants).

Addison

Postby Addison » 28 Mar 2022 20:27

Fatburger will also be opening at Firwheel Town Center in Garland. It's listed on their map as Coming Soon.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 28 Mar 2022 23:02

Leela's Wine Bar at McKinney & Olive. White Rock Alehouse/Brewery at The Langford in West Dallas. Both coming soon-ish.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 05 Apr 2022 14:11

Sassetta will be opening in the former Americano space in Downtown on April 8th:
https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... -district/

This is fantastic news! I always thought Americano was a decent spot, and I absolutely loved the location of it as I felt it was really right in the center of all the action (this was prior to the Discovery District opening). Ever since it closed, it feels like it felt quite a noticeable hole in the activity on Main street, so I'm glad it is being replaced by something else.

For whatever reason, Americano never really seemed to be all that busy anytime I went, but I have a feeling Sassetta will do extremely well in this spot.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 05 Apr 2022 19:39

potatocoins wrote:Sassetta will be opening in the former Americano space in Downtown on April 8th:
https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... -district/

This is fantastic news! I always thought Americano was a decent spot, and I absolutely loved the location of it as I felt it was really right in the center of all the action (this was prior to the Discovery District opening). Ever since it closed, it feels like it felt quite a noticeable hole in the activity on Main street, so I'm glad it is being replaced by something else.

For whatever reason, Americano never really seemed to be all that busy anytime I went, but I have a feeling Sassetta will do extremely well in this spot.

I'm psyched for this. Sassetta was one of my favorite restaurants when it was open in the Design District. It is similar food to Americano but significantly better IMO. And you're right, you can't beat the location.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Apr 2022 19:42

Hopdoddy Burger Bar will at last open its very first location in Plano

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... bar-plano/

Addison

Postby Addison » 12 Apr 2022 04:22

Asian Mint restaurant is expanding to Addison area in fall 2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... utType=amp

Chef-owner Nikky Phinyawatana of Asian Mint restaurants listens to her customers — and her employees.

She’s currently working on opening her fifth restaurant, this one in Addison (in the old Cafe Gecko space), and estimates it will open this fall. She opened her first restaurant on Forest Lane in 2004, and has expanded methodically since then, adding locations on Oak Lawn, in Inwood Village and in Richardson since then. And she always gets input from the people she values most.

“We always have people asking us if you want to expand here or there,” Phinyawatana says, and some customers have requested Frisco, McKinney, Houston, LA and even London. “My philosophy is never say never. You never know, right? I listen to my clients all the time. The more I hear it, the better the idea I get.”

But she committed to Addison because it’s far enough from the other locations, she says, and it’s a thriving restaurant area. It’s right next to Gyu Kaku, and near Shake Shack, Flower Child and La La Land Kind Cafe.
[/u]

Addison

Postby Addison » 13 Apr 2022 17:32

Mike’s Chicken opening new location in North Dallas in May 2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... utType=amp

Every week seems to bring news of more fried chicken concepts coming to Dallas, but one soon-to-open spot is an expansion of one of the most established fried chicken restaurants in the city.

Mike’s Chicken, a modest restaurant tacked onto the end of a laundromat on Maple Avenue, is opening a second location next month after serving crispy chicken tenders for nearly a decade, as first reported by CultureMap.

The Dao family who own and operate the restaurant are in the final stages of opening a Mike’s Chicken on Forest Lane across from Medical City Dallas. The new location is set to open May 12.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 26 Apr 2022 21:50

Here to report that Sassetta is just as great in downtown as it was in design district- but maybe even better because of its great location. My wife and I went tonight and the place was packed. All of downtown was bustling. Great vibes.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 28 Apr 2022 10:59

That's great to hear. Thanks for the update @JDumont146

willyk

Postby willyk » 29 Apr 2022 03:23

Anybody been to the Rodeo Bar since it reopened?

Semper454

Postby Semper454 » 07 Jun 2022 13:47

Any info on what looks like a new Harwood concept on the Katy Trail?

There is fencing/signage on the south side of the trail toward the Victory Park end of the trail, I think on the back of the Skye apartments garage immediately south of Reverchon Park. The lot is so small, curious as to what this will be.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 08 Jun 2022 11:06

I had heard a place called Katy Trail Cantina (or at least the working title from Harwood Hospitality Group) is going in, but, seemed like it was a part of the (Harwood) Citymark building technically.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 08 Jun 2022 12:22

When I walked by last Saturday it appeared to me that they would operate the restaurant and kitchen from a carved out space in the garage and serve that outdoor area. I welcome the addition.

Semper454

Postby Semper454 » 08 Jun 2022 23:25

CTroyMathis wrote:I had heard a place called Katy Trail Cantina (or at least the working title from Harwood Hospitality Group) is going in, but, seemed like it was a part of the (Harwood) Citymark building technically.

You are correct, it's the Citymark building. Skye is next door.

scott2

Postby scott2 » 09 Jun 2022 09:44

Cbdallas wrote:When I walked by last Saturday it appeared to me that they would operate the restaurant and kitchen from a carved out space in the garage and serve that outdoor area. I welcome the addition.

I love the idea of converting a parking structure ( or section of ) into a restaurant. So un-Dallas.

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Jun 2022 20:22

I drove by the Cane Rosso at Hillcrest Village today. It finally looks to be open.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 Jun 2022 08:18

Addison wrote:I drove by the Cane Rosso at Hillcrest Village today. It finally looks to be open.

Haven't seen this development in person, but the pictures look pretty great! Hopefully other developers can get creative and convert some other dated strip malls into something similar to this.

I suppose the key with this one was they likely had ample parking space, which is why they could convert some of it to greenspace and still be okay.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 15:41

They did tear down a significant amount of office/retail space here so no doubt. Plus the city is desperate for park space in North Dallas so the city is more than willing to trade parking ratio requirements for park land.

Erick_g02

Postby Erick_g02 » 28 Jun 2022 14:30

potatocoins wrote:
Addison wrote:I drove by the Cane Rosso at Hillcrest Village today. It finally looks to be open.

Haven't seen this development in person, but the pictures look pretty great! Hopefully other developers can get creative and convert some other dated strip malls into something similar to this.

I suppose the key with this one was they likely had ample parking space, which is why they could convert some of it to greenspace and still be okay.

This development is very nice and I like the greenspace they created. The area looks great at night. More older strip centers should take note. HOWEVER, there's too many damn kids there! I went to Brass Tap on a Wednesday evening recently and me and my middle aged friends could only stand the patio for 1 drink because there were to many families with their kids out. This is a great development for families, for bachelors or divorced men, not-so-much lol

Addison

Postby Addison » 28 Jun 2022 14:41

Erick_g02 wrote:
potatocoins wrote:

This development is very nice and I like the greenspace they created. The area looks great at night. More older strip centers should take note. HOWEVER, there's too many damn kids there! I went to Brass Tap on a Wednesday evening recently and me and my middle aged friends could only stand the patio for 1 drink because there were to many families with their kids out. This is a great development for families, for bachelors or divorced men, not-so-much lol

Well, Far North Dallas is essentially South Plano (upper middle class suburbia), and this development is surrounded by nothing but subdivisions. It's to be expected, lol.

Addison, across the Tollway, is where us bachelors and where divorcees flourish, lol.

GunnerDallas

Postby GunnerDallas » 29 Jun 2022 08:28

I live within a mile of this center and I know of many families who will walk there to eat or just hang out. To be fair, there is a Kid's Empire there which is a big indoor birthday party kind of place, and a large lawn with lots of playground equipment, so yeah, tons of kids. Previously, the strip center always had a lot of empty store fronts and honestly, I was skeptical about how successful this concept would be, but it looks to be a huge success, even filling in many of the spaces facing Meadowcreek that never had tenants before in my memory. I think one of the keys to their success has been in ensuring a good mix of restaurants; i.e. one Mexican restaurant, one burger place, one sports bar, one Italian place, one Chinese restaurant (in the works) one sushi restaurant, one brunch place, etc. A variety of choices depending upon your mood.

willyk

Postby willyk » 30 Jun 2022 05:02

I have also heard that letting your kids run loose is a big attraction (along with good restaurants). Other underutilized strip centers should take note.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Jun 2022 13:37

I don't have an issue with kids running amok, this project is clearly designed to allow for that and is a great benefit to the immediate neighborhood.

I do have an issue with kids loose in a bar. I took the comment below to be the same complaint. I don't understand how an establishment which is a restaurant/bar setup even allows seating of children in the bar area.

alkilo

Postby alkilo » 30 Jun 2022 22:44

Wits End and Da Da on Elm street are permanently closed closed. Westdale is redeveloping the properties.

LPG

Postby LPG » 01 Jul 2022 05:41

alkilo wrote:Wits End and Da Da on Elm street are permanently closed closed. Westdale is redeveloping the properties.

I have heard of impending redevelopment of the block from a couple of folks; however, I would not consider them well informed. Bitter is probably a better descriptor!

Do you have an inside track on the plans for the block?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Jul 2022 11:08

Losing wits and DA DA is big.. those venues brought in small acts to deep ellum. I hope they don't bring in corporate tenants.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 01 Jul 2022 11:42

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Losing wits and DA DA is big.. those venues brought in small acts to deep ellum. I hope they don't bring in corporate tenants.

I completely expect this to happen, and I've accepted this as the future of DE. I do have some fond memories of DE in the early 2000s, but the area can't really stay frozen in time forever. The current DE is more popular than I've ever seen the area, and I'd rather just cater to whatever is in demand right now and continue to see the area grow and thrive. I'd love to see more daytime traffic in this area which will hopefully lead to more residential.

alkilo

Postby alkilo » 01 Jul 2022 13:08

Actually I believe DaDa will be open a little longer. But Wits End is closed. They have had one of those proposed re-zoning signs up for a while now. DaDa is next for sure!

I work with club owners in Deep Ellum and I get insider info here and there.

The city also forced Vinty to close because of all the shootings stemming out of there.

LPG

Postby LPG » 01 Jul 2022 14:05

alkilo wrote:Actually I believe DaDa will be open a little longer. But Wits End is closed. They have had one of those proposed re-zoning signs up for a while now. DaDa is next for sure!

I work with club owners in Deep Ellum and I get insider info here and there.

The city also forced Vinty to close because of all the shootings stemming out of there.

Thank you for the insight

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Jul 2022 13:36

That's the problem we wanted Deep Ellum to stay original to its alternative roots but it's had such a constant up and down cycle of success and then crime and drops off then success again crowds return and then a crash again. I am in my 30s and I worked in Deep Ellum during one of the empty periods at The Green Room when it was still a 4.5-star restaurant that rockstars frequented when they were in town. I am just glad to see the office and residential projects filter in these days to stabilize the constant up and down pattern. Also, the CBD will do better ultimately with Deep Ellum in more stable conditions.

LPG

Postby LPG » 04 Aug 2022 14:50

More movement on Cedar Springs and Maple…

Project Name:
Nuri Steakhouse
Project Number:
TABS2022025402
Facility Name:
2401 Cedar Springs
Location Address:
2401 Cedar Springs Suite 120
Dallas, TX 75201
Location County:
Dallas
Start Date:
2/22/2023
Completion Date:
9/19/2023

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Projects/TABS2022025402

Semper454

Postby Semper454 » 05 Aug 2022 15:42

Assuming this is the same Nuri off of Royal Lane in N Dallas? https://nurigrill.com

Interesting add right across the street from Uchi/Uchiba.