Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Victory Park 3.0

willyk

Re: Victory Park 3.0

Postby willyk » 30 Apr 2021 10:22

THRILLHO wrote:I agree. I think East Quarter, Design District, and Cedars will be the areas to watch grow this decade (in that order). Meanwhile Deep Ellum and maybe Trinity Groves will be adding decent height.

I am curious as to why people put EQ and DD at the top of the list for future development. Each of those areas is controlled by a single developer. What happens there will be more of a function of what they want to do, and less of what an open market is asking for. Open areas like DE seem to offer more opportunities.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Apr 2021 12:36

undefinedprocess wrote:Victory Commons Two & Three would be such a waste.

Why do you say that?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Apr 2021 12:52

willyk wrote:I am curious as to why people put EQ and DD at the top of the list for future development. Each of those areas is controlled by a single developer. What happens there will be more of a function of what they want to do, and less of what an open market is asking for. Open areas like DE seem to offer more opportunities.

That's a good point. It does seem promising that the East Quarter was pretty quickly to throw up a high-rise, so I'd imagine they'd be quick to develop another one if the demand was there.

The Design District has been very slow to develop, IMO. I'm glad we got the Virgin hotel and are now getting another high-rise right next to it, but I'm really hoping things pick up for this area sometime in the next decade.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 01 May 2021 17:45

willyk wrote:I am curious as to why people put EQ and DD at the top of the list for future development. Each of those areas is controlled by a single developer. What happens there will be more of a function of what they want to do, and less of what an open market is asking for. Open areas like DE seem to offer more opportunities.

I would say East Quarter is at top because it is underdeveloped land next to Deep Ellum, which currently could fight for title as most popular neighborhood in town. I would say the Design District because it is underdeveloped with large roads between Uptown and West Dallas. Uptown is uptown and West Dallas has been very low key booming in the single family home department as well as multifamily properties.

undefinedprocess

Postby undefinedprocess » 04 May 2021 11:31

DPatel304 wrote:

Why do you say that?

Generic, zero effort office towers with more parking garages lining 35. Would much rather see some more residential, or even mixed-use towers go in there, all the way up to The Katy. I'm not completely opposed to them because it's better than nothing, but damn. They could really do something special with those lots, even if it's not residential. They're just copied and pasted version of VC1, and could be so much more. But any surface lots being developed, especially in Victory Park, is a win, so...

Guess beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Dallas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 May 2021 12:00

undefinedprocess wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:

Why do you say that?

Generic, zero effort office towers with more parking garages lining 35. Would much rather see some more residential, or even mixed-use towers go in there, all the way up to The Katy. I'm not completely opposed to them because it's better than nothing, but damn. They could really do something special with those lots, even if it's not residential. They're just copied and pasted version of VC1, and could be so much more. But any surface lots being developed, especially in Victory Park, is a win, so...

Guess beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Dallas.

Ah gotcha, I agree with you there. I didn't really know much about Victory Commons, so I don't really have any issues with it.

I do agree with you though, that space could certainly be put to better use, especially considering it's walking distance to the DART station there and the Katy trailhead isn't too far either.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 04 May 2021 12:16

Perot isn't very successful in building "statement" towers as we know. The Field Street site is floundering as other developments continue to move ahead. Maybe the organization just doesn't have the vision others seem to have. The Field Street spot is such a prime location that it's hard to believe they can't get a tenant for the tower they proposed, plus a hotel & condo going in conjunction with the office portion of the development. Maybe he should sell the site to some company with more drive.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 04 May 2021 14:25

I suggested a while back he should sell it to Amli, assuming the first tower is successful. Does seem a shame that a Marquee name on top of an 80 story tower isn't built there. Not enough demand for that much space apparently. So instead, we get law firms taking 150k space in nondescript 22 story towers.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 04 May 2021 17:48

Perot's Urban Hillwood took their signs off of the fence surrounding their Field Street site. I drove by the location today and all signs are gone. I have no idea what that might mean. We'll see.