Oak Cliff: Jefferson Blvd

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Oak Cliff: Jefferson Blvd

Postby dfwcre8tive » 02 Feb 2017 13:12

Top Ten Records on Jefferson has attracted new owners with a new mission. The article also discusses plans for surrounding blocks.

Texas Theatre's operators take a spin with another Oak Cliff landmark, Top Ten Records
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comme ... en-records

This significant development will involve, among other things, converting the store into a seller and renter of records and films focused almost exclusively on Dallas and Texas. Top Ten will be operated by a newly formed nonprofit, Oak Cliff Records & Library, spearheaded by, among others, the Texas Theatre's Barak Epstein and Adam Donaghey, and count among its partners the G. William Jones Film and Video Collection at SMU, keeper of tens of thousands of rare film prints and video tapes, and the city of Dallas' estimable municipal archives. And it will preserve a storefront along Jefferson whose existence dates back to Elvis Presley's first-ever appearance on the pop charts.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/top- ... deo-film#/

ericthegardener

Re: Oak Cliff: Jefferson Blvd

Postby ericthegardener » 02 Feb 2017 13:32

Now that's cool! Those guys have done an absolutely great job with the Texas Theatre and I am so glad that they'll be helping save Top Ten Records. Not sure that I understand how their rental plan will work out in practice and I'm curious what the selection will be like, but I trust them to make it great!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Feb 2017 15:10

Great news for Jefferson!

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 02 Feb 2017 20:21

So, the story talks about the developer who has just bought 4 blocks on Jefferson. Has that been reported anywhere besides this story on Top Ten Records? I hadn't heard about it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Feb 2017 21:46

ericthegardener wrote:So, the story talks about the developer who has just bought 4 blocks on Jefferson. Has that been reported anywhere besides this story on Top Ten Records? I hadn't heard about it.

That doesn't sound familiar to me.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 03 Feb 2017 08:33

Well damn, here's an article from the Oak Cliff Advocate the I read back in December, but I didn't retain the information at all. My brain is failing.

One key difference in the stories: The DMN article states that investors bought 4 blocks on Jefferson, while the Advocate states that they bought 4 buildings in the 300 block. The Advocate makes more sense because I had always thought that lots of the buildings along Jefferson were individually owned.

http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2016/12/investors-buy-top-ten-records-building/

The buyer is an investment partnership put together by Gideon Co., the same company that in 2013 bought and renovated the East Dallas retail strip that houses Ships Lounge, at Ross and Greenville. They purchased four buildings in the 300 block of West Jefferson.

The group plans to renovate the buildings and attract new tenants to the corner of Jefferson and Bishop. Two of the buildings have two stories, and the new owners are planning to renovate those second stories for residential or office lofts.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Feb 2017 09:10

^Good observation. I do remember the Advocate story but it didn't click when I read "four blocks" in the DMN story.

I was walking around that area recently and noticed that Jim Lake is white-boxing a small commercial building north of Jefferson Tower. Things like this will need to fill the blank spaces between Jefferson and Bishop Arts as they expand towards each other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.