Bike Harwood (Harwood St. from Main->Dallas Heritage Village)

DPatel304

Bike Harwood (Harwood St. from Main->Dallas Heritage Village)

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Feb 2020 10:43

Bike Harwood
Downtown Dallas, Inc., the City of Dallas, and the Better Block Foundation have partnered together to bring improved bicycle infrastructure along Harwood Street through Downtown, from Main Street to the Dallas Heritage Village. Known as Bike Harwood, this pilot project will provide separated micro-mobility lanes, additional on-street parking spaces, and new crosswalks to the street, creating a safe, efficient thoroughfare for those traveling on bicycles, scooters, or other personal mobility devices in the City Center. In addition to the micro-mobility lanes, the partners will also be installing vertical delineators and other decorative devices to further separate cars and vehicles from the bicyclists using the new facilities.

Access to safe, efficient bicycle infrastructure in and around Downtown is a priority action item of the 360 Plan, Downtown’s strategic plan adopted by City Council in December 2017. In the plan, Harwood Street is identified as a District Connector, a corridor that should facilitate the movement of multiple modes of transportation – bicycle, pedestrian, and transit – in an effort to better connect Downtown to its adjacent neighborhoods. The Bike Harwood project will serve as a “living laboratory,” allowing the project partners to analyze how these transit modes perform and interact and to determine how similar projects can be implemented throughout other areas of the City Center.

https://www.betterblock.org/bike-harwood

jetnd87

Re: Bike Harwood (Harwood St. from Main->Dallas Heritage Village)

Postby jetnd87 » 12 Feb 2020 14:55

Good. Would love to see some more pedestrian / bicyclist-friendly infrastructure and thought put into Harwood District.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Feb 2020 16:08

jetnd87 wrote:Good. Would love to see some more pedestrian / bicyclist-friendly infrastructure and thought put into Harwood District.

If I read this correctly, this isn't near the Harwood District. It states 'Main Street to Dallas Heritage Village'. That said, if this works out, I don't see why it wouldn't be extended north through KWP and eventually up to Katy Trail.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Feb 2020 16:36

muncien wrote:
jetnd87 wrote:Good. Would love to see some more pedestrian / bicyclist-friendly infrastructure and thought put into Harwood District.

If I read this correctly, this isn't near the Harwood District. It states 'Main Street to Dallas Heritage Village'. That said, if this works out, I don't see why it wouldn't be extended north through KWP and eventually up to Katy Trail.

SoWood, if you will :lol:

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Feb 2020 10:40

I think this is long overdue, and kudos to DDI for following through with recommendations from the Downtown 360 Plan. If this weren't on a Friday, I would even volunteer.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Feb 2020 14:41

Planned Protected Bike Lane Coming to Harwood Street to Link the Cedars with Downtown
A protected bike lane is coming to Harwood Street downtown, first connecting the Cedars just past the Farmers Market near Main Street Garden. It’s Downtown Dallas Inc.’s first step in providing pedestrian infrastructure that will get cyclists, walkers, and scooter-ers from Dallas Heritage Village to Klyde Warren Park without having to dodge vehicles. The first phase should be complete by the spring.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -downtown/

DMagazine has some more information on this project.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 18 Feb 2020 08:27

Love this project, and it seems like a no-brainer to act as a connection between some of the most exciting developments in the city.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Feb 2020 09:44

Agreed, and it'll be great after phase 2 connects it all the way up to Klyde Warren Park. It's really a shame we couldn't get those bike lanes along McKinney Ave, because we could have eventually worked to get these two sets of bike lanes connected.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Mar 2020 09:37

Volunteers Add Some Pizzazz to Pioneering Downtown Bike Lane
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/vol ... e-11886354

I didn't realize this would be getting underway so quickly. Great news, I'll have to make it out to this area to check this out!