Dallas Trail System

art_suckz

Dallas Trail System

Postby art_suckz » 02 Nov 2016 11:10

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/201 ... ail-system
News - 11/2/16
Robert Wilonsky

$23 million raised to link 50 miles of Dallas' disconnected trail system

In late June the Circuit Trail Conservancy said it would attempt to raise $23 million in private dollars to complete the trail system Dallas has long been promised — the 50-mile-long network that would link North Dallas to southern Dallas to East Dallas, Bishop Arts to Uptown. This morning, its board members held a news conference in the Flag Room to say they had delivered on the promise.
Now, the conservancy needs something in return from the City Council: $20 million in bond money.

"I love this idea," Rawlings said Wednesday, "because this idea connects all parts of our city and brings our city together. [And] it's a great moment when we get to explore the real beauty of Dallas and get on those trails and participate and see what the Trinity Forest is all about."
He also stressed what several conservancy board members pointed out throughout Wednesday morning's news conference: Trails serve as economic generators. Look no further than the Katy Trail, which turned formerly fallow Uptown land into property worth billions.

PDF of plans here:
https://theloopdallas.org/#

Trails.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Dallas Trail System

Postby tamtagon » 02 Nov 2016 12:02

I thought the Katy Trail extension to Design District had a fancy trail spiraling under the highway to the Turtle Creek diversion channel in the Design District....?

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 Nov 2016 12:21

Why can't the Katy/Trinity Strand connector simply stay below all the roads? I've seen the fancy swirly thing Tamtagon mentions (uh... super expensive), and now this trimmed down proposal that goes UNDER Harry Hines/DART, but then OVER I35E. Seems like a lot of unnecessary grade changes (and expense) when you could just stay underneath everything... Lord knows there's plenty of room under there. Hopefully it's not because we're all scared of hobos.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 02 Nov 2016 12:48

I am scared of hobos.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Nov 2016 09:46

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 04 Nov 2016 12:19

Because it looks cool. Just like all the unneccessary signature bridges we have now. I think giving the trail that amount of visibility can only be a good thing and will let drivers know there is actually something going on in the design district as well.

willyk

Postby willyk » 04 Nov 2016 21:28

The Connector is 9% of the trail and nearly 50% of the cost.
1 of 11 miles.
$21M of $43M.
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Nov 2016 09:16

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Nov 2016 10:12

Loop backers hope project will add to Dallas’ real estate boom

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... state-boom

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Nov 2016 10:54

The loop is great! I'm not so sure when TCrow commitment to a loop-de-loo connection from Katy Trail to Trinity Strand via the new Goat Hill apartment got lumped into this deal, not sure that even matters, but I actually like the idea of a "signature" bridge over I-35.

I think I read the price for that would be $20 million (yikes) but considering how many people would see that bridge makes it worth the cost.

Would be nice to have more of this reaching into the CBD, as many on the forum have noticed, Harwood from Rochester Park to the Katy Trail would be pretty sweet.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 18 Nov 2016 15:09

Was just walking the dog along the new Ridgewood trail from Mockingbird Station to White Rock lake... They are finally putting the last bits of the trail in... Looks like about 50 more feet to go and it will be complete. And, looks like they are hard at work on the bridge over Mockingbird.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 13 Dec 2016 21:54

tamtagon wrote:https://dallascityhall.com/government/meetings/DCH%20Documents/park-board/Briefing_042116%20Circuit%20Trail%20Conservancy.pdf

"The Circuit" seeks public money for their very private developments on the other side of I-35. They seem to have little interest in what is beyond the bridge to connect one side to the Katy Trail.

The maps they use are not even correct in the pdf documents. Using old data, I guess they never fact checked the reality of what is on the ground. I was told yesterday that portions of the trail system are now under "federal inquiry" by the Department of Justice. I am not sure if this is due to the 404 violations associated with construction or something different.

Couple weeks ago I attended an architecture forum. Afterwards I asked one of the individuals representing "The Circuit" if they were aware of the problems. They told me it was of no concern of theirs and I should do whatever I felt like doing if it bothered me so much.

Quite a bit of my concern is compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. In a couple areas the "trail" is twice the grade allowed by law. It is not supposed to be this way. There will need to be some reckoning for those responsible in every step of that process.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Dec 2016 09:50

I understand the gist of ADA, but certainly there should be exceptions... particularly when it comes to recreation trail networks. Two month's ago, I pulled into a parking lot for a trail-head at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and marveled at the ADA complaint ramp leading to the trail that climbs two-thousand feet in elevation.

Maybe it's just me being ignorant, but I have a hard time seeing someone in a wheel chair attempting to complete the entire circuit. So long as we have sufficient trail available for such uses, we should be okay, but requiring the entire length of the trail to be ADA complaint seems to be overkill and negate some of the health benefits it could otherwise provide.

Lord knows we have plenty of people without disabilities who already can't complete such a circuit.

Again... I understand this is the current law, and as such they should abide by it. But, what I suggest is that the law needs to be modified based on the function of the project in question.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 14 Dec 2016 10:25

muncien wrote:

but requiring the entire length of the trail to be ADA complaint seems to be overkill and negate some of the health benefits it could otherwise provide.

What about the people who live next to this trail system in areas where the trail is too steep? I know wheelchair bound people who live in the neighborhoods next to this non-ADA construction. What about them?

This trail easily could have been built within ADA specifications. For some reason it was not.

Since federal, city and private money was used, this falls under many umbrellas of oversight regarding laws.

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Dec 2016 11:13

It's really about the nature of the project. We aren't talking about a sidewalk in front of your house, walk up to grocery store, post office, apartment complex, or place of business. We're talking about a recreational amenity. Sure, they try to spin these as 'transportation alternatives', but anybody who follows the paths of these trails knows their meandering courses are not suitable for core transportation. Instead, these are about leisure and fitness. IMO, the very nature of such facilities means they shouldn't be held to the same ADA standards as those mentioned earlier.

I'm not trying to get them off the hook for what they've messed up so far. The law is the law, and that is on them. I'm just saying the law is flawed.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 15 Dec 2016 08:46

§ 35.151 New construction and alterations

(a) Design and construction.
(1) Each facility or part of a facility constructed by, on behalf of, or for the use of a public entity shall be designed and constructed in such manner that the facility or part of the facility is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities, if the construction was commenced after January 26, 1992.
(2) Exception for structural impracticability.
(i) Full compliance with the requirements of this section is not required where a public entity can demonstrate that it is structurally impracticable to meet the requirements. Full compliance will be considered structurally impracticable only in those rare circumstances when the unique characteristics of terrain prevent the incorporation of accessibility features.
(ii) If full compliance with this section would be structurally impracticable, compliance with this section is required to the extent that it is not structurally impracticable. In that case, any portion of the facility that can be made accessible shall be made accessible to the extent that it is not structurally impracticable.
(iii) If providing accessibility in conformance with this section to individuals with certain disabilities (e.g., those who use wheelchairs) would be structurally impracticable, accessibility shall nonetheless be ensured to persons with other types of disabilities, (e.g., those who use crutches or who have sight, hearing, or mental impairments) in accordance with this section.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 16 Dec 2016 12:48

$20 Million for the Circuit Trail, the Connector, is ridiculous. A "Signature Bridge" over I-35E when all you have to do is follow the creek bed under Stemmons and the access roads? Stupid. That Connector will never be built. Not to mention the crazy bridge over Houston St at Harry Hines. This thing should be done for $3-4 Million at most.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Dec 2016 09:59

They just keep rewrapping the connector project up in different bows hoping to get the city to throw in the financial support. They tried to get it funded before as a Katy Trail Design District boom project. Now instead they created a Loop thing to try to get the council and public support up for the bill. Next time maybe it will have even more lipstick on this pig to try to get it through the city bond funds. I do agree they need a connection but the price is a big mountain the private funds haven't been willing to climb.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Dec 2016 10:17

Yeah... I totally don't get it. The Alexan Goat Hill has already reduced the need for the link. Now, all you need to do is get from the corner of Harry Hines & Houston over to the end of the Trinity Strand trail. Once you cross Houston, you have a grade separated corridor along the water creek all the way. Even the slightest bit of landscaping would make that far more enjoyable than soaring over a freeway. The fact that it would cost much less is just icing on the cake. They should start work on this tomorrow.

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 03 Jan 2017 11:28

Does anyone have an update on the Mockingbird pedestrian bridge? It seems to be making slow progress. Is it still on track to be completed by this summer?

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 03 Jan 2017 15:22

Mockingbird trail bridge is going very slow due to DART concerns with the bridge piers impacting the tunnels directly underneath.

Good news is that the trail is pretty much complete(almost) from White Rock Lake to Worcola(behind the Mockingbird Kroger). Already seeing a big shift in cycling traffic off of Fisher/Southwestern/University and onto the new sections of trails.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 03 Jan 2017 15:34

I was by this the other day and looks like they have poured the piers -- i would expect the rest of the bridge to go much faster.

muncien

Postby muncien » 10 Jan 2017 13:48

Looks like city of Irving is about to extend the Campion Trail along the West Fork Trinity River up to Coppell...
This is from the agenda for Thursday's city counsel meeting...
22 Resolution - Approving an Interlocal Agreement Between the City of Irving
and the City of Coppell for the Construction and Maintenance of Campion
Trails North MacArthur Extension
Administrative Comments
1. This item is recommended by the Capital Improvement Program Department. Is
supports Strategic Objective 4.5 – Implement enhancements to cultural and
recreational facilities.
2. Impact: This agreement will provide continuous trail from the City of Irving into the
City of Coppell as part of the Campion Trails North MacArthur Extension.
3. This item was presented to the Transportation and Natural Resources
Committee on October 7, 2015, to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
on February 8, 2016 and the Green Advisory Board on October 5, 2016.
4. A $2.5 million grant was received from Dallas County to provide for the construction
of primary trail from Sam Houston Trail Park going north to MacArthur Boulevard
and then west into the City of Coppell.
5. This will be the northern terminus of the trail system which will include a 12 foot
wide, 2.65 mile long, concrete trail.
6. This agreement will allow the City of Irving to spend the funds to build the trail into
the City of Coppell and be reimbursed by Dallas County.
7. The construction documents and project management for this project will be
prepared and managed by in-house staff from the Capital Improvement Program
team. The City of Irving will coordinate plans and details with the City of Coppell.
Recommendation
The resolution be approved.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 12 Jan 2017 02:09

muncien wrote:Looks like city of Irving is about to extend the Campion Trail along the West Fork Trinity River up to Coppell...
This is from the agenda for Thursday's city counsel meeting...
22 Resolution - Approving an Interlocal Agreement Between the City of Irving
and the City of Coppell for the Construction and Maintenance of Campion
Trails North MacArthur Extension
Administrative Comments
1. This item is recommended by the Capital Improvement Program Department. Is
supports Strategic Objective 4.5 – Implement enhancements to cultural and
recreational facilities.
2. Impact: This agreement will provide continuous trail from the City of Irving into the
City of Coppell as part of the Campion Trails North MacArthur Extension.
3. This item was presented to the Transportation and Natural Resources
Committee on October 7, 2015, to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
on February 8, 2016 and the Green Advisory Board on October 5, 2016.
4. A $2.5 million grant was received from Dallas County to provide for the construction
of primary trail from Sam Houston Trail Park going north to MacArthur Boulevard
and then west into the City of Coppell.
5. This will be the northern terminus of the trail system which will include a 12 foot
wide, 2.65 mile long, concrete trail.
6. This agreement will allow the City of Irving to spend the funds to build the trail into
the City of Coppell and be reimbursed by Dallas County.
7. The construction documents and project management for this project will be
prepared and managed by in-house staff from the Capital Improvement Program
team. The City of Irving will coordinate plans and details with the City of Coppell.
Recommendation
The resolution be approved.

That's great. I wonder if they will ever find a way to connect to the Irving part of the trail.... and even better yet to the Trinity Skyline trail.

Also there is a tremmendous amount of green space circling around the airport, would think it would make for a great loop trail.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jan 2017 08:39

ContriveDallasite wrote:
That's great. I wonder if they will ever find a way to connect to the Irving part of the trail.... and even better yet to the Trinity Skyline trail.

Also there is a tremmendous amount of green space circling around the airport, would think it would make for a great loop trail.

Totally... Irving recently connected their southern segment of the trail with Grand Prairie's trail, and with this they'll have connected the northern segment with Coppell... yet the the link between is still not funded.

I understand that few people live along that stretch, but as far as cycling goes, you really need them connected for a decent ride. That stretch recently had sanitation lines replaced and all that work created temporary (yet quality) paths along the corridor. It would have made sense to use the same paths to construct the bikeway. There's also a corridor that could be used to link that segment with the Bachman lake trail fairly easily. The impact of completing an actual bicycle network will be huge as it'll serve purposes other than local recreation purposes.

On a side note... The new extension into Coppell is planned to go entirely along the top of the levee instead of running along the river as the rest of the trail has done. This of course makes sense for commuting purposes (this is part of the veloweb after all) as it's more point A to point B, but kinda weird since the rest of the trail isn't oriented the same way.

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 24 Feb 2017 09:28

Mockingbird Pedestrian Bridge delayed yet again.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-c ... rd-delayed

muncien

Postby muncien » 06 Mar 2017 15:57

Repairs to Campion Trail along the Elm Fork have been completed, and that section of the trail (Sam Houston Trail Park) reopened last week. It is amazing how much damage was done by the flood waters from a year ago. Nearly every river overlook along the entire Campion trail is still closed. Some of the benches that were perched along the river toppled in at some point are now somewhere downstream. I haven't seen any signs of those overlooks, or the boat launch up by 161/635 interchange getting repaired. I assume they'll all be out of commission for quite some time. Unfortunately, we also lost some beautiful, massive oak trees as their weight was just too much in the mucky waters.

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Mar 2017 15:35

I see that crews are completing a connection from VP, under 35, and out to Continental Bridge. The work under 35 is happening now.

This will make for a continuos route from the Katy to Trinity Groves. This part of the route is functional, not scenic, but hey it works!

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 Mar 2017 08:54

willyk wrote:I see that crews are completing a connection from VP, under 35, and out to Continental Bridge. The work under 35 is happening now.

This will make for a continuos route from the Katy to Trinity Groves. This part of the route is functional, not scenic, but hey it works!

Where is the I35 crossing? Is it that underpass by VP station?

KTuser

Postby KTuser » 22 Mar 2017 18:07

The completion of this sidewalk under 35 is crucial. It opens up a nice circle ride. Down the Katy, under 35 (on this new sidewalk), over the pedestrian bridge, northwest on the Trinity Skyline trail, over the Sylvan Bridge to the Trinity Strand Trail, up Hi Line to AA center and back to the Katy. I forgot to turn on my GPS, but it is a relatively easy, very pretty ride.

willyk

Postby willyk » 30 Mar 2017 22:42

muncien wrote:
willyk wrote:I see that crews are completing a connection from VP, under 35, and out to Continental Bridge. The work under 35 is happening now.

It is basically a nice wide sidewalk on both sides of Continental from where it exits VP, under 35, to the Continental bridge. The under 35 part is under construction. It is safely separated from the traffic and that is where the value is for the cyclists and runners.

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 Mar 2017 10:56

willyk wrote:
muncien wrote:

It is basically a nice wide sidewalk on both sides of Continental from where it exits VP, under 35, to the Continental bridge. The under 35 part is under construction. It is safely separated from the traffic and that is where the value is for the cyclists and runners.

Cool... thx. I saw that work going on the other day while riding the train in... Are they going to rework up Lamar to Houston, or are does a rider brave the lanes or ride on that itty bitty sidewalk? Curious. Couldn't see if anything was going on under the tracks, but I know that little stretch is quite hectic as folks get worked up trying to leave the CBD in their cars.

willyk

Postby willyk » 31 Mar 2017 20:07

As best as I can tell those sidewalks are going to be a choke point.

soco

Postby soco » 09 Apr 2017 10:08

I've been heavily involved with this project, so here is how the bike lanes are going to work on Lamar/Continental.

Beginning from the Continental Bridge and heading east toward Victory, a buffered bike lane will begin near Core street. That bike lane will continue to Riverfront where cyclists will be routed onto the sidewalk level bike lane. Cyclists will remain at sidewalk level until IH35E where they will be routed to a buffered bike lane at street level. If anyone has wondered why some ramps route the 'sidewalk' to the street in odd places, those are the transition points for the bike lane. Continental will be narrowed by one lane and that space will be used for the buffered bike lane. At Victory Ave the bike lane will end, and there will be a bike box to allow cyclists to transition out of the bike lane and make left turns.

In the westbound direction, a buffered bike lane will start on Lamar, just west of Victory, as you go around the curve, and downhill. Near IH35E cyclists will be routed to the sidewalk level bike lane. At Riverfront the sidewalk level bike lane will transition to a street level bike lane, and continue to Core Street. Once complete this project should greatly improve the bike/pedestrian connectivity between the downtown area and the Trinity River.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Apr 2017 10:45

^Sweet^

Will a buffered lanes connect through Victory Park to Katy Trail?

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 09 Apr 2017 11:46

tamtagon wrote:^Sweet^

Will a buffered lanes connect through Victory Park to Katy Trail?

It already does, no? It's via Houston St and even better than a buffered lane: a cycle track!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Apr 2017 12:27

If I knew about that, I sure did forget!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 May 2017 22:53

Looks like the first support beam for the mockingbird pedestrian bridge is up..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 May 2017 13:15

I really think this pedestrian bridge over mockingbird station will do wonders for the development. It looks very awesome!

guacamohle

Northaven Trail Expansion

Postby guacamohle » 15 May 2017 14:53

Anyone know the latest progress/gossip on the expansions of the Northaven Trail (East & West)?

soco

Postby soco » 16 May 2017 09:59

Design is nearing completion for the Northaven Trail's westward extension. The trail will technically end at Monroe, north of Walnut Hill, however sidewalk improvements will complete the connection to the Walnut Hill/Denton DART Station. The project is tentatively scheduled to be bid later this year, with construction beginning shortly thereafter.

TxDOT is the lead agency overseeing the design and construction of the US75 bridge, and the design process is beginning now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 May 2017 13:56

I still hope a US 75 bridge that connects the mockingbird Katy Trail bridge and the Knox side is eventually developed. I did find preliminary renderings of the Northhaven one though...

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.54.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.15 PM.png
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 08:35

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I still hope a US 75 bridge that connects the mockingbird Katy Trail bridge and the Knox side is eventually developed. I did find preliminary renderings of the Northhaven one though...

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.54.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 1.53.15 PM.png

Good find!

Interesting that the Northhaven bridge is actually from Northhaven Rd instead of the existing trail ROW. At what point is the trail supposed to jump up to the road? I'm guessing where the existing trail parking is at Freda Stern Drive... ?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 May 2017 09:49

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I still hope a US 75 bridge that connects the mockingbird Katy Trail bridge and the Knox side is eventually developed.

The pics I posted is the mockingbird / Katy trail connection

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 09:56

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I still hope a US 75 bridge that connects the mockingbird Katy Trail bridge and the Knox side is eventually developed.

The pics I posted is the mockingbird / Katy trail connection

That's just the bridge over Mockingbird... I don't think there is anything in the foreseeable future to go over 75. To the contrary, it seems more and more likely that the existing crossing at Mccommas is the long term solution.

Does anybody have evidence to the contrary? I sure hope so....

soco

Postby soco » 17 May 2017 10:33

McCommas is the long-term solution. If you look at the cross-section for McCommas you will notice the sidewalk is extra wide on the north side. TxDOT built the bridge this way knowing the trail was going to use the bridge as a future crossing. Of course anything is possible, but I have not heard any real discussion of funding a bridge over Central, at least in the near-term.

In regards to the Northaven Trail, it is not feasible to continue in the ONCOR ROW to cross Central. There is a substation in the way, overhead power lines, and no clear landing point on the east side. Current thinking is the "trail" will leave the ONCOR ROW and follow Valleydale to Northaven where it will connect to the large ramp depicted in the above image. City and County staff have been exploring different options to continue the trail along Valleydale and Northaven. Such as dedicated bike lanes, wide sidewalks, a wide "trail" on one side of the street, etc.

Following the City ROW north of Freda Stern to Northaven Rd. is also being looked at.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 10:37

soco wrote:McCommas is the long-term solution. If you look at the cross-section for McCommas you will notice the sidewalk is extra wide on the north side. TxDOT built the bridge this way knowing the trail was going to use the bridge as a future crossing. Of course anything is possible, but I have not heard any real discussion of funding a bridge over Central, at least in the near-term.

In regards to the Northaven Trail, it is not feasible to continue in the ONCOR ROW to cross Central. There is a substation in the way, overhead power lines, and no clear landing point on the east side. Current thinking is the "trail" will leave the ONCOR ROW and follow Valleydale to Northaven where it will connect to the large ramp depicted in the above image. City and County staff have been exploring different options to continue the trail along Valleydale and Northaven. Such as dedicated bike lanes, wide sidewalks, a wide "trail" on one side of the street, etc.

Following the City ROW north of Freda Stern to Northaven Rd. is also being looked at.

Thanks for the info Soco. Good stuff.

soco

Postby soco » 17 May 2017 10:45

Not to totally "out" myself, but I've been heavily involved in Dallas' bike/trail program for about 17 years, so if y'all have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. 8-)

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 11:19

Seems to me that it wouldn't be that far fetched to abandon Valleydale Dr to vehicles altogether. That road really doesn't serve any purpose other than on street parking for the apartment complex along it, which already has access from the rear. They could then just convert the entire ROW as a landscaped extension of the trail all the way up to Northhaven. Something similar was done along Ladera Dr in Irving when the DART Northlake College station was built.
The bigger challenge to me would be getting enough ROW for a decent trail along that last leg of Northhaven. Not a whole lot of room to play with there.
Anyway... This connection will be a game changer once completed. Can't wait!

skeets

Postby skeets » 17 Jun 2017 13:01

muncien wrote:Repairs to Campion Trail along the Elm Fork have been completed, and that section of the trail (Sam Houston Trail Park) reopened last week. It is amazing how much damage was done by the flood waters from a year ago. Nearly every river overlook along the entire Campion trail is still closed. Some of the benches that were perched along the river toppled in at some point are now somewhere downstream. I haven't seen any signs of those overlooks, or the boat launch up by 161/635 interchange getting repaired. I assume they'll all be out of commission for quite some time. Unfortunately, we also lost some beautiful, massive oak trees as their weight was just too much in the mucky waters.

Some work on the Trinity overlooks has finally started at the TW Richardson Grove area. One overlook has been removed (what was left of it!) and moved back and replaced with a sitting area. Can't tell what they are doing with the other one but bulldozers were busy a couple of weeks back clearing out what had grown up.

The Bachman Lake trail is getting a long overdue upgrade also. Most of the trail on the Shorecrest Drive side of the lake is being replaced. It will be nice to not worry about twisting my ankles on that side any more! Now if they would just replace the puny trail on the levee/dam side of the lake and build a pedestrian bridge over the lake next to Webb Chapel Road it would be easier to walk.