Trinity River Park

tamtagon
Site Admin

Trinity River Park

Postby tamtagon » 31 Oct 2016 11:33

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2 ... ld-simmons

Mayor Rawlings announces $50M donation for Trinity Park from estate of late billionaire Harold Simmons

Written by Naomi Martin

...The donation will fund a significant part of park design and construction between the Margaret McDermott Bridge to the south to the Ron Kirk Bridge to the northwest. The McDermott Bridge spans Interstate-30. The Kirk Bridge was formerly known as the Continental Bridge. The space between them will become Simmons Park. It constitutes some 155 acres of the 285-acre basin considered part of the Trinity River project ... The Simmons donation provides $10 million to the trust immediately to fund design and beginning costs. The remaining $40 million will be dependent on the Annette Simmons' or her representatives' "reasonable satisfaction" by Sept. 15, 2019 that the park has adequate funding and proper plans for governance, management and operations.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens next.

Tnexster

Re: Trinity River Park

Postby Tnexster » 31 Oct 2016 12:37

This is significant and somewhat of a surprise. Hope they can make it work, the only think I don't like is that it allows room for the Trinity Parkway.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Oct 2016 13:04

Philanthropy is a wonderful thing!

I'm now remembering some nice, believable rumor-type mentions that the Crow Children intend to honor the Family Matriarch with a Dallas Trinity River Park amenity. Underwriting the third Calatrava Bridge (to complete the set) would certainly have a nice ring, all three bridges named Margaret.... but we'll see.

Sammons Foundation might even come back with more, they've been known to 'keep it going.' The hospitals in Dallas have truly gained from Sammons, and now the (potential) for this park, it's heady.

Just to check, but is the mayor slowly but surely dialing back the tolled highway? just a little bit here, and a little bit there, but officially steering toward an actual parkway the benefits enjoyment of the park itself NOT a speedway around downtown...?

We can only hope, but I have a feeling the next mayoral election will come with active anti-tollway policy from that particular office -- no matter what the phantom controllers say.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Oct 2016 17:56

So what does that Sept 2019 deadline mean? It looks like, from now until that date, they have $10 million to design the park and have some money for 'beginning costs'. Does that mean we'll for sure get at least that much money towards the park?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Oct 2016 19:40

^that's just to make sure the Sammons Foundation doesn't throw the remaining $40 million down the drain, if in three years, more money has been collected and it's adequately organized, the rest of the money is released.

...seems like after 30 years, we would already have a design.

willyk

Postby willyk » 31 Oct 2016 22:51

I wonder if they mean Simmons will fund 155 of the 285 acres if the the Trinity Trust can raise the funds for the remaining 130?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Nov 2016 08:25

http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/20 ... on-richer/

BY PETER SIMEK
OCTOBER 31, 2016

...With this historic donation, and following City Council approval, the park will be named The Harold Simmons Park. Other contingencies of the gift include that the park be operated by a private entity that has secured operations and maintenance funds, and that the funds needed to build the remainder of the park are raised within the next three years.

The full park concept encompasses more than 285 acres of land near the heart of downtown Dallas.
- naturalized river landscape
- miles of pathways and trails within the levees
- five elevated parks that will extend from inside the levees into the adjacent communities
- allows for the Trinity Parkway

The concept is the careful work of Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, Inc.

Architect website has lots of pictures:

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=114

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 Nov 2016 09:38

Wow... They've gone to some length to try and hide that tollway. But sure enough, it's still there... like a stubborn carpet stain hiding beneath a throw rug.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 01 Nov 2016 10:19

And... tiny lakes. They should nix half of those pointless tree-island things.

I mostly like it.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Nov 2016 10:41

Lightly scanning through some of this stuff, I still don't see a plan that loosens the flood water choke point between Corinth and Cedar Crest...

choke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 01 Nov 2016 11:57

Does anyone have hope that construction (or even planning sufficient to satisfy a reasonable person) will actually begin by September 2019?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Nov 2016 09:24

http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/20 ... ilding-it/

The Corps Has Already Approved a Road-Less Trinity Park. So Why Aren’t We Building It?

Sadly, the Trinity River Project is still all about that blasted toll road, whether we admit it to ourselves or not.

BY PETER SIMEK PUBLISHED IN FRONTBURNER NOVEMBER 22, 2016
...in April 2015, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers made its “Record of Decision” on the Dallas Floodway Project, aka the Trinity River Project ... The city – and the corps – wanted to make sure the park could be built with or without the road...

The corps approved both plans.

... The 1998 bond election set aside $11 million for the construction of the Trinity lakes and $36 million for the construction of the earthen “bench” that the toll road is supposed to sit on. Scrape the lakes and the toll road from the already-approved plan for the park, and we have $47 million ready to spend on making the rest of the park – the wetlands, the access points, the restored native landscaping and ecological remediation.

Then there is that $50 million that has been generously committed by the Annette Simmons for the park. That’s nearly $100 million to spend on a park that we could start building today.

...the road, Rawlings admits, is still the thing that is holding up the construction of the parks.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 28 Nov 2016 11:37

If NTTA pulls out of this then surely this can finally move forward. I really like the new plan that seems to solve some of the big problems with the previous plans. Taking the road out should simplify everything.

Architect website has lots of pictures:

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=114

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 11:53

^This deal has been such a beat-down, and for such a long time that I've stopped trying to become familiar with the plan-du-jour, but I'm brought back to an actual low level of excitement by the pictures shown on that link! Notably, the picture that might show new life for Turtle Creek... it kinda looks like the creek is daylighted to enter the flood plain in the 'shelf' and widen into one of the lakes before meeting the Trinity....

...on a side note, I wonder why I wasn't all-into posting the maps before, like I have been since the forum reboot. hrumph
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 29 Nov 2016 15:44

rasec33

Postby rasec33 » 11 Dec 2016 21:59

I found this video of the original plans for the Trinity River from 2009. It's very interesting to see what has been completed and what is still missing! Would've been nice to have the lakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmKI5JGgro

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Dec 2016 23:16

rasec33 wrote:Would've been nice to have the lakes!

You mean the stock ponds?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 12:30

The overkill on this park concept has been a mystery since the beginning. Meander the river, build paths that run along the now meandering river and plant some texas prairie grass. Project done.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 13 Dec 2016 14:27

I imagine the cost of drudging a new river path will be costly, but it certainly isn't complicated. At least get the basics done with the money already in hand and fiddle with the niceties as funding increases.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 13 Dec 2016 15:50

Creating new river meanders will be harder than most think. A quick look at the mess created by the Corps of Engineer failing Lower Chain of Wetlands project is one good example. River took the wetlands back in the last flood. Only through enormous spending and construction are they fixing it.

The "trails" being built down there are not ADA compliant. Not many seem to care, since the policy makers and managers are so far removed from the project.

It is impressive to sit in the audience of an urban land planning presentation and listen to the ignorance of the presenters. I wonder why notable professionals would back projects so flawed? Cost me about $800 in FOIA requests and six months to figure all that out.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Dec 2016 15:56

^^^ Welcome back Casper. :)

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jan 2017 15:35

casperitl wrote:Creating new river meanders will be harder than most think. A quick look at the mess created by the Corps of Engineer failing Lower Chain of Wetlands project is one good example. River took the wetlands back in the last flood. Only through enormous spending and construction are they fixing it.

The "trails" being built down there are not ADA compliant. Not many seem to care, since the policy makers and managers are so far removed from the project.

It is impressive to sit in the audience of an urban land planning presentation and listen to the ignorance of the presenters. I wonder why notable professionals would back projects so flawed? Cost me about $800 in FOIA requests and six months to figure all that out.

So this raises more questions. I would assume that we will flood again so when that happens, the money we spend rebuilding the now destroyed wetlands will be destroyed again, thus starting a vicious cycle. On top of that if the river is meandered against its will the floods will also take that back. This reminds me of the discussion that took place years ago when people on this forum raised questions about the wisdom of lakes that would eventually be flooded and potentially damaged or as it would appear, likely damaged. And to be honest the floods could have been worse, much worse.

How does a city that does not have enough money to pay for road upkeep and is potentially going to be bankrupted by a pension scam have money to rebuild wetlands destroyed in a flood that will probably be destroyed again?

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 05 Jan 2017 10:43

/\ Actually i would say that the straight line river that is there now is more against the rivers nature than adding the meanders back in. Most rivers like the Trinity naturally meander just look at the old banks of the Trinity (now in the Design District).

I am sure doing this project will come with some currently unexpected difficulties but I think in balance having the Trinity River Bottom more available for use by Dallas Citizens is worth effort. This latest design really seems to be the best at integrating many of the concerns of flooding that have been raised. I think it also seems much less contrived than the previous designs - finally we are seeing the Trinity River and what it can be rather than trying to duplicate what some other city has done.

muncien

Postby muncien » 05 Jan 2017 11:10

gshelton91 wrote:/\ Actually i would say that the straight line river that is there now is more against the rivers nature than adding the meanders back in. Most rivers like the Trinity naturally meander just look at the old banks of the Trinity (now in the Design District).

True story... Rivers naturally meander along relatively flat ground. For the purposes of flood water management, it's actually the corps that wants both the meander and added vegetation put back into the flood plain. This is needed to correct a problem originally created by the corps that causes the potential flood waters to move artificially faster through the current structure than they previously would have, which then causes water management problems downstream.

Ironically, it's that artificial water speed, followed by the sudden spread/slowing of water just south of Dallas (allows seeds to fall to the bottom) that gave birth to the 'Great Trinity Forrest'... which prior to these flood control manners, was mostly made up of farm land.

The real maintenance challenge would come from any man made structures built into the flood plain. This is a lesson learned with Campion Trail along the elm fork. Just in the last two years, both a boat launch and two significant sections of trail were significantly compromised by flood waters. They've been closed for some time, and only now are being repaired.

Hopefully the Trinity River Park is able to manage these challenges. Some of the renderings appear to show significant concrete banks along the river. That could be a challenge.

jsoto3

Postby jsoto3 » 12 Mar 2017 12:50

I went to an interesting symposium put on by D Magazine last week regarding the past, present, and potential future of the Trinity River Corridor. There is now a push by many to keep the plans very simple and to "rewild" the space between the levees. Here is a recap and follow up from D Magazine:

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -the-past/
http://interactive.dmagazine.com/conten ... tatus-quo/
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... ity-river/

Moderator: Peter Simek (D Magazine)

How Did We Get Here?
Don Raines, Michael Bastien, and Ignacio Bunster-Ossa, three designers and consultants who worked on the Balanced Vision Plan, will discuss the history and features of the only federally approved plan for the Trinity River.

How to “Wild” the Trinity?
Landscape Architect and Urban Planner Kevin Sloan, Dallas Park Board Member and Master Naturalist Rebecca Howe Rader, Audubon Texas’ Urban Conservation Program Manager Dr. Tania Homayoun, and horticulturist Dr. Robert E. Moon will talk about making the Trinity basin's subtle and delicate natural ecology the focus of the park.

How Do We Move Forward?
Finally, Dallas City Councilman Scott Griggs, former Dallas City Councilwoman Angela Hunt, and Texas State Rep. Rafael Anchia will talk about the political realities of moving forward and how we can use the broad outline of the Balanced Vision Plan to “re-wild” the Trinity River.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Apr 2017 10:26

A quick excerpt from a Downtown Dallas Inc big-wig glowing in commentary about Boeing's new business division picking Plano as headquarters:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... erang-d-fw

"If we were where we are today in 2001 when they came here, there is no question they would choose downtown Dallas," he said. "They only thing people can pick on us today is we don't have any mountains and we don't have any oceans. I'm going to work on that before I retire."

Sentiments like this, pervasive and maudlin within Dallas Booster Clubs, has a cumulative impact on me now days. Head scratching a decade ago, and now it just pisses me off.

The first time I ever encountered one of the Grand Vision for the flood channel was at The DMA. An exhibition featuring giant maps in the vaulted gallery presented a fantastic park with a variety of woods, meadows, trails and fields for all sorts of stuff. No Tollroad, of course, since that component hardly ever was given accurate impact in any of the selling materials.

As time went by, the amenities packages for the Trinity River Park continued to skew more toward Amusement Park than Nature Park.

It's like, as quality and variety of life in the downtown area improved, the biggest booster clubs vision for the park was distracted by the absence of mountains or oceans; self destructive envy turned into misguided overcompensation; egocentric comparisons of our river to their mountains and their oceanfronts triggered environmental engineering projects at the forefront of our capabilities; the urges of status seeking decision makers recklessly decreed an experience zone without peer.

So hear we are, AGAIN, complaining about natural attributes of different places, flailing to compensate with ingenuity and ability yet again never quite making it out of bed to get started. Completely ignoring the most compelling natural attributes of the area, hell-bent on molding something other that what we have, a River.

This is how aversion to a desire evolves into a cumulative impact. Instead of taking a river and working with it's nature to provide the best possible experience, those plans want to override it. Not only is that the wrong way to manipulate nature, it's dangerous and destructive.

I grew up enjoying 'going to the river' in a handful of Texas ecosystems, Great Plains, Coastal Plains and Blackland Prairie/Savannah. That's the experience Dallas needs to provide along the leveed flood plain and into the forest.

The Texas experience - going to the river - doesn't exist in Southern California or Northern Georgia. It's only found in North America where the Great Plains ease into the Gulf of Mexico.

What's so bad about that? Give me a break.

The amusement extravaganza belongs in Fair Park, the tailored topiary belong at The Arboretum. How in the world can The Trinity Trust even think about replicating both experiences between The Signature Bridges. The city is being held back by this lingering variation of social retardation.

The mountains and oceans enjoyed by folks in other places are beautiful on the horizon, and the recreation they provide is famous. To the populations that live within the realm of Mountain or Ocean, they are huge in nature, uninhabited and wild. That's what the park in Dallas lacks: nature. While river like The Trinity is not obvious on the horizon, the sated sunsets are telling.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Apr 2017 11:04

I totally agree... The best possible course for the Trinity also happens to be one of the cheapest, and easiest. Go Natural. Carve some trails, get some vegitation going, and let nature do the rest. Our real work should be providing connectivity from outside the levees (parking, trails, etc).

But for the few of us who like to actually go in the river... I have to admit, I'd much rather dangle my feet in the Chattahoochee than in the Trinity. Pollution aside... we're kinda doomed by geology to an extent. But still... 90% of users are just going to enjoy it from outside the water. And that's just fine.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Apr 2017 12:04

^Chattahoochee tubing and rafting parties through Atlanta doesn't happen anymore because the river water is unsafe, reaching an remaining at that condition since the early 2000's.

Since about half the population of Texas gets it drinking water from the Trinity River, the state should mandate and pay for clean water facility and infrastructure. Program and system should starts in Wise, Denton, Parker, Tarrant and Collin Counties, culminating in Dallas Trinity River Park.

The Sunbelt City to figure out pollution control and provide its residents with year-round clean air and water will be the Sunbelt City with Alpha World City impact.

It all starts with an ego-check at the Dallas Citizen Council. Put the money into Fair Park, directly and without a Walt Humann et al Plan for pubic money mill. *GAWH*

The Park and Recreation plan for Dallas and the rest of North Texas is so obvious as to what is needed where, but the municipal leaders just cannot break the will of the old money decision making.

If the DCC doesn't want to put the money into Fair Park, then focus solely on landing a professional baseball team in a stadium at Reunion Arena or I-45 @ I-30. *sigh* **GAWH**

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 May 2017 16:18

So, did the city council election tip the balance in favor of the park instead of tollroad?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 May 2017 09:01

We are waiting on the runoffs to know that. I believe as of now we are down one Anti Tollroad vote. D. Carraway has been for the Tollway.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

electricron

Postby electricron » 09 May 2017 16:31

tamtagon wrote:If the DCC doesn't want to put the money into Fair Park, then focus solely on landing a professional baseball team in a stadium at Reunion Arena or I-45 @ I-30. *sigh* **GAWH**

Why focus on building a baseball park when.no one has asked for one?
Have the Rangers hinted they will leave Arlington? Has any other major league team shown any interest what-so-ever moving to Dallas? Has MLB hinted they will be expanding soon? When you find a yes answer to those three questions, that's when you start thinking about building a new baseball park. Until then, forget about it!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jul 2017 14:34

On Friday, five council members — Sandy Greyson, Scott Griggs, Philip Kingston, Adam Medrano and newcomer Kevin Felder — sent Mayor Mike Rawlings and City Manager T.C. Broadnax a memo demanding they put on the next available council agenda a resolution that would once and forever reject the only version of the toll road, the so-called Alternative 3C, to receive the feds' blessings.

The next voting agenda is Aug. 9, but Rawlings — who said he "thought this would be coming, after the election and stuff" — told me Monday it may take a little longer. The city attorney's office is drafting the resolution, which, he said, the five would then have to approve before it goes to a vote.

Rawlings said the timing of the vote also depends on when he gets answers from an alphabet soup's worth of local, state and federal agencies about what a decision to reject 3C would do to the proposed park, or at least the roads and parking lots needed to access the park. He also wants to know whether anyone's even interested in funding a road of any size at this late date.

If he gets the answers he's expecting — killing 3C won't hold up the park, and no one wants to pay for 3C or the slower, smaller road pitched by urban planner Larry Beasley last year — then, Rawlings said, it is likely there will be far more than the eight votes needed to kill the thing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... t-die-good

I'll remain skeptical on this piece of news until the park is actually built, but it looks like we are at least heading in the right direction.

I feel like there is a decent amount of development that is waiting to get off the ground in West Dallas and the Design District, but because this park is up in the air, nobody is acting on it for the time being.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Jul 2017 14:49

I read this this other day. I'm skeptical. Rawlings and the Dallas Citizens Council and their backers will fight to the death. But if NTTA and TxDOT have no funding.. then it's dead in bed.

Who knows maybe they've been delaying this park for this very reason to find funding. IDK...

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Jul 2017 15:02

Also is anyone upset that they are naming the Park after Harold Simmons? It's not that I'm ungrateful... It's just the city needs to have a Park that the City and Region identifies with.

I find it similar to how the the Continental Bridge was renamed..

Quite Frankly, I find it inconsiderate that Rawlings and the Trinity Trust just cut these deals without voting from the council or voter input. If the Simmons family want something named after Harold I have no problem naming a plaza or having benches/plaques with his name at the park...but the actual entire park?!

Why can't we just call it Trinity River Park?....

That's what we've been calling it for years.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jul 2017 15:11

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Who knows maybe they've been delaying this park for this very reason to find funding. IDK...

That's gotta be it. It just makes no sense to me why there has been no motion on the park. We don't even have to be all extravagant about it, just start small and do it in phases.

on the plus side, the longer they wait, the more the surrounding areas will develop, and, the more development there is, the more demand there will be for a park.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 Jul 2017 09:38

It's too bad we don't have a recent example of newly-developed park space leading to a giant spike in development in the immediate and ancillary areas around the park.

OH, I have an idea! Hear me out on this one.
Deck park over the Trinity.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jul 2017 09:42

exelone31 wrote:It's too bad we don't have a recent example of newly-developed park space leading to a giant spike in development in the immediate and ancillary areas around the park.

Hahaha. That would be hilarious. Can we build a lake on top?!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Jul 2017 10:23

So.... there's a pending city council vote expected to officially drop any version of an expressway or thru-way that comes with a warning bank of red-flags signaling delays across the board and who knows what it'll do to the $50 million Sammons donation....

but the real question from me, will this new Tollway declaration also trigger the beginning of shovel ready park construction. There's been $50 million in the bank for like ever just waiting to get spent on the preliminaries of a park, blueprints in hand too. All the rest of it, Sammons Extravaganza, Trinity Overlook, Tollway or not, these things would come only after the preliminary work is complete. So, will the threshold vote trigger the start of park construction?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 Jul 2017 11:02

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
exelone31 wrote:It's too bad we don't have a recent example of newly-developed park space leading to a giant spike in development in the immediate and ancillary areas around the park.

Hahaha. That would be hilarious. Can we build a lake on top?!

Deck lake, eh? Even better! Now the question is, who would the lake be named after?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jul 2017 11:14

tamtagon wrote:So.... there's a pending city council vote expected to officially drop any version of an expressway or thru-way that comes with a warning bank of red-flags signaling delays across the board and who knows what it'll do to the $50 million Sammons donation....

All the contrary. If the Toll Road does get built there would be even more Delays for the Park.

If you recall, the Toll Road Contingent was vying to get the road built before the park got started. They fear(ed) if the Park gets built first people would want to stop the construction of the highway even more than they already do now.

Also, The City still has to get the construction of the park approved by the US corps of engineers. Alternative 3C just allows highway construction not a Park.

So no, killing 3C speeds up the process and the likely hood that the donation is used as the construction delays would be gone.

Harold's family cares to have his name on the park as some sort of legacy. I highly doubt they care if there's a highway there or not. If they take away the donation that's fine... We really don't need another signature park named after someone nobody knows.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Jul 2017 11:16

^ya, totally, but does the anticipated no-tollway vote also come with a vote to get started on the park?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2017 12:13

Also eliminating the roadway means that land has to be designed into the project and that means even the gorgeous renderings last released would now be void. The total design has to be submitted in total to the Corp so they can make a decision on whether the design is appropriate for the flood safety of the wider area.

My question is so how will access be designed if there isn't even a garden Blvd style road through the flood zone? I was never against a small quieter access road for the park but what they kept pushing was that phased tollway proposal that included a road that would still be a high-speed connector even in the initial phase. Any potential road just needs to be less traffic relief and more river side drive that won't ruin drive times in the morning when the occasional flood deposits a tree on the roadway or some mud gets left behind. All we have to do is look at what happens in North Dallas when those trails get flooded out. It takes the city a long time to clear up those messes and even a high profile road like this would take some time to clear up.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jul 2017 12:38

This is probably a really stupid question, but is it at all possible to eliminate the fact that this is a flood zone?

I understand that a flood zone is needed, but any way to engineer it so it occurs at some other point in the river? I'm not even sure what I'm asking, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a consist level of water in this area. I'm sure, even if it was possible (which seems unlikely), it would be an insane amount of money, but a consistent water level could lead to recreational water activities and I suppose the greenspace would look nicer if parts of it weren't flooded part of the time.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jul 2017 13:03

tamtagon wrote:^ya, totally, but does the anticipated no-tollway vote also come with a vote to get started on the park?

I believe it does. At least that's what Rawlings seems to be hinting at. Here D-magazines take on the DMN story.

https://www.dmagazine.com/urbanism-tran ... toll-road/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Jul 2017 13:12

cowboyeagle05 wrote:My question is so how will access be designed if there isn't even a garden Blvd style road through the flood zone?

I don't think a road in the levees is practical nor aesthetically pleasing.

I think the original 1992 master plan is the best. It called for repurposing River Front Blvd. It runs all along the Trinity and could really be a nice point where pedestrians could walk up to the park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jul 2017 08:34

That's a new Blvd carved out of lots of private property and to be honest a not needed arterial roadway. River Front aka Industrial Blvd can be seen at the very top of the image and is being repurposed under a beautification plan as we speak. Besides this plan doesn't make much sense cause the levee would still block people from seeing the park land unless that's a very large and continuous levee top deck roadway with amenities that float out over the edges of the park.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Jul 2017 10:40

Let's get that shelf built!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jul 2017 11:10

I haven't really spent any time there, but Trammell Crow Park is essentially a small (but complete) park in the Trinity River area, correct?

I know the surrounding greenspace isn't all that great, but with at least a partial park in the vicinity, I feel we should be encouraging people to use this park as is in order to encourage the larger Trinity River Park. As the Trammell Crow Park becomes more popular, perhaps it will naturally expand in size little by little.

Like I said, I've only been there once in my life, and, even then, I just happened to be biking past it and didn't really stop to check it out, so maybe there is something I'm missing. I honestly wasn't aware this park existed, and I'm surprised it isn't more well known.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Jul 2017 12:40

A First Look at The Proposed Trinity River Local Government Corporation

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... rporation/

Usual Dallas Shadiness going on here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Aug 2017 15:48

The mayor picked the right guy to finally deliver that forever-promised Trinity River park

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... river-park