East Dallas: Abrams and Columbia road diet

DPatel304

East Dallas: Abrams and Columbia road diet

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Oct 2017 12:05

The November bond, if passed, could transform a neighborhood thoroughfare and begin to change the way Dallas builds its streets. Dallas experienced significant growth in a car-centric end of the 20th century, but now hopes to move into a new era where streets are built with cars, pedestrians, and cyclists in mind.

In 2016 the City Council adopted a Complete Street Design Manual that says streets that receive funding must be designed with multi-modal transportation in mind. The stretch of Main, Columbia and Abrams between Exposition and Gaston is slated to become a Complete Street in November’s bond package.

This area is ripe for this transformation, as its six lanes only have four lanes worth of traffic, says Jared White of Dallas’ Department of Transportation. The outside automobile lanes will be dedicated to cyclists, which will be separated from the cars by a physical barrier. There may be a curb between the cars and the cyclists or an elevated cycling path going each direction. There will not likely be the flex posts (as shown in the image above) because they are easily damaged and unsightly, says White.

The plan also includes wider sidewalks and integrated bus stops with loading zones that include more seating and covered areas. It will connect with other Complete Street projects, creating a seamless path for cyclists and pedestrians from the Trinity River, through Downtown and Deep Ellum, and into East Dallas and the trail network around White Rock Lake.

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2017/1 ... -paradise/

I had no idea this was even being considered, but very cool if true. I realize the Santa Fe trail practically runs parallel to this, but we need to start getting cars to share the road with bikers to make our streets more pleasant, and, if this ends up happening, it could definitely encourage other streets to do the same. This will be a great way to connect Lakewood to Deep Ellum.
Last edited by DPatel304 on 13 Oct 2017 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal Lecter

Re: East Dallas: Abrams and Columbia road diet

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Oct 2017 13:35

After trying the Santa Fe trail a few times I went back to riding on Columbia. It's faster, and if you time the lights right you almost never have to stop -- unlike all the at-grade crossings on the trail. I've even been known to beat buses from Exposition Park to Gaston. :-)

Ironically, the past couple days there has been news coverage of all the accidents on the four-lane section north of Gaston. And now they want to make the Columbia section more like it, as part of the continuing effort to make it harder to get to downtown.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Lakew ... 73763.html

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Oct 2017 14:58

DPatel304 wrote:Image

omg very exciting.

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Ironically, the past couple days there has been news coverage of all the accidents on the four-lane section north of Gaston. And now they want to make the Columbia section more like it, as part of the continuing effort to make it harder to get to downtown.

Uh, in what way at all would the Columbia section be made more like it..? Because 4 lanes? lol. And specifically, what part of the design of Abrams causes those crashes, and how would the Columbia redesign increase that same kind of crash on its stretch? Be specific.

As far as making it more difficult to get downtown, have you ever experienced Columbia to be full or even close to full? Because I haven't. And the city's traffic data shows that it isn't. And the redesign would certainly make it much easier to get downtown if I didn't want to drive.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Oct 2017 15:11

There will not likely be the flex posts (as shown in the image above) because they are easily damaged and unsightly, says White.

Um.

"Easily damaged" aka "drivers often don't pay attention when operating a 2000-lb machine at 40mph and swerve recklessly into bike lanes" aka definitely a need for more than just paint, even if it is just plastic.

Even if they won't protect against a car that barrels through them, they do stop drivers from the sort of unfocused lane drifting by presenting a physical reminder/barrier.

Don't get me wrong.. I will take paint, and a painted buffer is even better than just a bike lane, and I will be happy with the redesign in general. But just lol at that justification for no posts.

I've also never heard the "unsightly" objection before.. more unsightly than concrete? There's plenty of them out where I'm living now, and I've never thought them unsightly.

soco

Postby soco » 13 Oct 2017 16:05

tanzoak wrote:
There will not likely be the flex posts (as shown in the image above) because they are easily damaged and unsightly, says White.

Um.

"Easily damaged" aka "drivers often don't pay attention when operating a 2000-lb machine at 40mph and swerve recklessly into bike lanes" aka definitely a need for more than just paint, even if it is just plastic.

Even if they won't protect against a car that barrels through them, they do stop drivers from the sort of unfocused lane drifting by presenting a physical reminder/barrier.

Don't get me wrong.. I will take paint, and a painted buffer is even better than just a bike lane, and I will be happy with the redesign in general. But just lol at that justification for no posts.

I've also never heard the "unsightly" objection before.. more unsightly than concrete? There's plenty of them out where I'm living now, and I've never thought them unsightly.

The posts are a major maintenance issue, and from someone who works on these types of things on a daily basis, I assure you a lot of people do not find them attractive. We will likely look at different types of barriers including the addition of a concrete curb between the travel lane and bike lane, elevation differences, etc. There are a number of different ways this can be done.

Also, since there is significant funding being proposed for this project, why not strive for a higher level of design.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Oct 2017 16:27

soco wrote:We will likely look at different types of barriers including the addition of a concrete curb between the travel lane and bike lane, elevation differences, etc. There are a number of different ways this can be done.

For real for real? That would be amazing. Do not tease me, soco!

You with the city, or engineering/planning firm?

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 13 Oct 2017 19:30

Despite the fact that the article said that image was "courtesy of the City of Dallas," I don't think we actually have 100' of ROW to work with. By my estimation, it's only 86'.

Here's generally what it looks like now:

And here's what we could do with it:

soco

Postby soco » 13 Oct 2017 19:37

Yes, I work for the City,and 6 lane divided principal arterial roadways usually have 100 feet of ROW.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Oct 2017 20:26

Why would this stop at Exposition? Why not continue into the CBD?

soco

Postby soco » 16 Oct 2017 13:54

I do not know why these specific limits were chosen, but there are other projects in the Deep Ellum and Downtown areas that will help facilitate bike/ped connections into the CBD.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Oct 2017 18:53

tamtagon wrote:Why would this stop at Exposition? Why not continue into the CBD?

I think it's because that's the point where the funds were allocated to cover.

dallasite1

Postby dallasite1 » 26 Nov 2017 11:35

I would like to see them update the signal lights at these intersections. Especially that don't have arrows . Many of those signals are over 20 years old.
Scott Dorn
Preserving D/FW History one photo at a time