Downtown: Klyde Warren Park

IcedCowboyCoffee

Re: Downtown: Klyde Warren Park

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 25 Jul 2022 14:34

The kiosk continues to puzzle me. It seems too small for just about everything. Can't fit much of a bathroom stall behind all those windows. Also, not exactly a lot of room to prepare food or drinks of any kind but it could store a little bit in the back. Like, a basic ice cream stand would be nice there.

I can sort of imagine an information desk where you can get maps/brochures and book tickets for the arts district performance halls, but I'm pretty sure that's already planned for the park's western extension, so I doubt it.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 16 Aug 2022 23:19

I wonder if the water is actually 100 ft lol

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 16 Aug 2022 23:53

ajderry2017 wrote:

I wonder if the water is actually 100 ft lol

In this video, definitely not. I don't think we'll see it get to 100 feet until they have a proper coordinated show once open to the public. And I feel like the 100 feet "shot" will be rare, as the fountain is capable, but will be saved for finales/special events. Maybe I'm wrong, but yeah, in this video, definitely not 100 ft.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Aug 2022 14:18

Also depends on the wind sensors, I imagine. They don't wanna shoot that far in the air, and the wind carries most of the water onto the service roads and surprises drivers. Water shot 100 ft in the air and blown onto an unsuspecting car could be problematic. Any fountain like this will have wind restrictions on its operations even during special events.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Aug 2022 16:24

...and maybe another thing: They probably want to recirculate/recycle as much of that water as possible. Spraying the street and passing cars means less water going back into what can be used for the fountain.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 14 Sep 2022 14:07

The fountain is done

https://youtu.be/-zjbPcViLtA

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 15 Sep 2022 15:49

Alright, first person here to check out the fountain please check out the kiosk structure and let us know what you see lol

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Sep 2022 16:25

Maybe its a command center for the fountains?

LPG

Postby LPG » 16 Sep 2022 15:32

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Alright, first person here to check out the fountain please check out the kiosk structure and let us know what you see lol

The small circular kiosk has a sign that says something along the lines of ‘Something exciting coming soon’. There is a counter that runs the length of the windows and a small hand washing sink in the back ‘corner’. Kind of a goofy space overall

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 16 Sep 2022 15:38

LPG wrote:
IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Alright, first person here to check out the fountain please check out the kiosk structure and let us know what you see lol

The small circular kiosk has a sign that says something along the lines of ‘Something exciting coming soon’. There is a counter that runs the length of the windows and a small hand washing sink in the back ‘corner’. Kind of a goofy space overall

I appreciate the report LPG. The mystery continues!

I assume the sink means this will serve snacks or drinks of some sort...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Sep 2022 18:50

Stuff the parents and kids around the fountains will no doubt consume. I wonder if it will mostly be bottled water, drinks, etc, and repacked snacks or if they will try to make anything fresh. I imagine If anything is made fresh, it will come out of the restaurant and simply be carted over and refrigerated.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Sep 2022 23:29

Pics from 1st water show
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Sep 2022 15:25

The renovation of the East Lawn is already a huge hit. It has been packed since re-opening. The children's play area should be re-opening soon.
I'd love to see Olive closed to vehicular traffic and just allow the trolleys through there. The two lawns need to be connected.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 18 Sep 2022 14:51

Any update on West Lawn? The visitor center and ice skating ring that was proposed?

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 18 Sep 2022 19:10

ajderry2017 wrote:Any update on West Lawn? The visitor center and ice skating ring that was proposed?

I spoke to KWP people (don't remember their names) who were inside the East Lawn for fountain tests on 09/12 before it reopened. They said they don't have a timeline and funding is rough, and when I kept on pressing (respectfully) for more info (when I asked very specific questions and they realized I wasn't just some guy that'd seen a report on the local news), they got very short with me, like I knew too much... :lol:
So basically, no.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 21 Sep 2022 19:39

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
LPG wrote:

I appreciate the report LPG. The mystery continues!

I assume the sink means this will serve snacks or drinks of some sort...

Iced, or anyone, can you see this linked photo below?

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 21 Sep 2022 20:50

CTroyMathis wrote:Iced, or anyone, can you see this linked photo below?

Yes. It shows up for me even without being logged in.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Sep 2022 22:21

It looks like it's bigger than the food kiosk they built into Main Street Gardens, which to this day seems too damn small for much of anything ever to succeed, so there might be enough room in this to host popups every spring/summer for chefs they want to partner with for grab n go food and beverage.

Please don't be a Visitor Center...

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 22 Sep 2022 12:05

CTroyMathis wrote:Iced, or anyone, can you see this linked photo below?

Yup! Thanks for sharing.
Kiosk definitely looks bigger than I thought it was.

But why this town insists on putting massive reflective surfaces everywhere when we're already hot as the dickens is beyond me. This thing is going to roast anyone sitting nearby.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 22 Sep 2022 13:21

I am going to put my thoughts on this now that I know the bathroom shed is nearby and weirdly huge and looks like the new Rangers stadium, this is a visitor center/sporting gear check-out since I still haven't seen the cart around for checking out say a putter, ping pong stuff, etc./ticket center for Arts District events/the like.

(I'm at work now and cannot see the image on another computer I don't have discord on, btw. Next time I'll just throw it on Twitter and link here or just attach directly.)

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 22 Sep 2022 13:24

The sink will be to pour out all the empty beer & wine glasses for special events when the park gets closed-off to non-paying riff-raff. ;)
The glasses get thrown into the catering/hotel slotted glassware trays and washed back at their facilities.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 18 Oct 2022 12:33

undefinedprocess wrote:
ajderry2017 wrote:Any update on West Lawn? The visitor center and ice skating ring that was proposed?

I spoke to KWP people (don't remember their names) who were inside the East Lawn for fountain tests on 09/12 before it reopened. They said they don't have a timeline and funding is rough, and when I kept on pressing (respectfully) for more info (when I asked very specific questions and they realized I wasn't just some guy that'd seen a report on the local news), they got very short with me, like I knew too much... :lol:
So basically, no.

Not sure if this is new news, but it's new to me:
A $100 million expansion is in the works to build a visitor center and other amenities. But the foundation that supports the park recently sought an extension on project deadlines from the City Center TIF District that gave it $3 million because construction bids came in higher than expected. Park officials are reengineering the project.

-https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2022/10/18/dallas-beware-txdots-alternative-for-i-345/

Reengineering is an interesting choice of words. I wonder if they'll come back with a completely new building design, or if they're just trying to shave off however many expenses they can from the current design.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Oct 2022 20:59

Yeah sounds like the events center they want to build will be cheapened out. I cannot wait to see what shipping container project we will end up with.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 30 Nov 2022 11:47

Now we know what’s that kiosk by the Nancy Best Fountain

It’s called The Salty Donut

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cll_2eTJnQI ... M4ZDc5MmU=

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 01 Dec 2022 11:18

Coffee and donuts is a good fit for something like this. Well, here's to hoping they stock their cold brew at the kiosk. Being able to grab a decent cold brew at the park is something I've wanted for ages.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 02 Jan 2023 16:33

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Coffee and donuts is a good fit for something like this. Well, here's to hoping they stock their cold brew at the kiosk. Being able to grab a decent cold brew at the park is something I've wanted for ages.

Desperately want to know if they offer cold brew (or any sort of iced coffee) there... That'd be incredible. Setting a reminder to try and find out, but... In the meantime, anyone else know what the menu is for the KWP kiosk location?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Jan 2023 16:37

[img]
IMG_20221213_180506349.jpg
[/img]

I like the fountain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 13 Jul 2023 18:08

Edit: nah these are old lol, carry on

Might be a dumb question, but are these renderings new(ish)?
I was randomly browsing the Gensler site and some of these renderings didn't look familiar to me. It's entirely possible I've forgotten seeing them, but they seem different (smaller) than the renderings I'm more familiar with. Looks like the top viewing deck has been shaved off.

https://www.gensler.com/projects/klyde-warren-park-2-0 (Also includes the older renderings so it's easy to see the difference)
kl1.JPG

kl2.JPG

It certainly looks cheaper the more I examine it--to the extent that this is an even bigger waste of money than it already was.
In addition to cutting off that top floor it also is no longer elevated above St. Paul st and is instead street level. That probably brought costs down significantly.
I thought it got rid of the staircase down to Akard but it looks like it replaces it with a sideways ramp that goes over the garage entrance?