IcedCowboyCoffee

Fair Park: Community Park

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 14 Apr 2022 12:38

communitypark1.jpg

communitypark2.jpg

communitypark3.jpg

communitypark4.jpg

communitypark5.jpg

Decades after Dallas stole homes from Black residents, final plans set for new Fair Park greenspace
- Dallas Morning News
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/04/14/decades-after-dallas-stole-homes-from-black-residents-final-plans-set-for-new-fair-park-greenspace/
City Hall’s original promise to build a park for Fair Park’s neighbors, a pledge broken time after time, was part of its ugly ploy to force hundreds of Black families from their homes in the 1960s and 1970s.
. . .
More than 50 years later, no new greenspace — no matter how wonderful — can ever make up for those families’ losses or the city’s shamefully unjust behavior. But it can be a small step toward healing for a part of our city traditionally othered by those inside Fair Park’s walls.

Construction on the $85 million project, which also will add a parking structure near Gaisford Street, is set to begin in January.

The park looks fantastic. All of those trees! The space will be even more incredible when the oaks fully mature.

I really want to see how this turns out:
Luallen got most excited talking about the “fog tree,” which may involve the replanting of a large live oak that will likely need to be moved from the Fair Park Coliseum due to renovations there. Delicate misting lines would be entwined in its branches and lights installed throughout to create a “living fountain.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: Fair Park: Community Park

Postby undefinedprocess » 17 Apr 2022 12:49

Beyond excited for this too, and so glad that after the few years since the original concept was shown off, we have the final plans.
Still wonder what could be done with all of the other parking lots... I really do wonder what could/should be done with them. One or two more could definitely work as a park/green space, but I wonder what could be built that'd be good for the community... And to help bring some life to Fair Park year-round, not just in September and October.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jun 2022 21:50

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Jun 2022 18:08

And... Another DMN link. Info on the just-announced Fair Park Loop Trail & additions/expansions for Community Park: New Fair Park Updates

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 12 Oct 2023 16:39

The Cotton Bowl is slated for another round of improvements:
https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... l-stadium/

The $140 million project aims to enhance visitor experience and modernize some aspects of the stadium.

Planned improvements include:

Widening concourses
Tripling the current square footage per guest in key areas
Adding escalators
Improving the in-stadium Wi-Fi signal
Increasing the number of hospitality areas and premium environments

" “The upgrades will keep the Cotton Bowl and other venues competitive, recruiting global events.”" LOL. What a giant waste of money. The Cotton Bowl currently lists 2 games on it's schedule. They should just give FC Dallas $140 million to play games there. That would have about an equal ROI. This is why Fair Park sucks - it's just an add-on for a old lousy football stadium.