Downtown: Klyde Warren Park

THRILLHO

Re: Downtown: Klyde Warren Park

Postby THRILLHO » 03 Dec 2020 12:38

Every evening, the fountain will come alive with an hourly aquatic “fireworks” display of soaring water that’s lit by a kaleidoscope of colors and dancing to soundtracks — a show that will be visible for miles.

I'm VERY curious to see how true this ends up being in reality. This seems very interesting and, as yall are saying, very Dallas.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Dec 2020 13:13

THRILLHO wrote:
Every evening, the fountain will come alive with an hourly aquatic “fireworks” display of soaring water that’s lit by a kaleidoscope of colors and dancing to soundtracks — a show that will be visible for miles.

I'm VERY curious to see how true this ends up being in reality. This seems very interesting and, as yall are saying, very Dallas.

Wow, I didn't see that. Could be a great to draw people to some of the rooftop restaurants/bars in the area (not that there aren't already a lot of reasons.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 03 Dec 2020 15:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUDSD27pVw

The Fair Park fountains are already impressive and other than possible height would dwarf the KWP fountain by size alone. Right?

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 03 Dec 2020 16:12

I would think Fair Park would still remain the bigger fountain. And some of the Fair Park fountain jets can already reach almost 100 feet--presumably the center jets seen at the end of that video.

The record being broken here in the eye-catching DMN headline is really just for being the tallest fountain you can sort of stand directly under.
Kind of a silly condition to claim a title, but it should still be impressive.
It will be quite a sight when entering the woodall rodgers tunnel from either end.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Dec 2020 18:25

casperitl wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUDSD27pVw

The Fair Park fountains are already impressive and other than possible height would dwarf the KWP fountain by size alone. Right?

How often does that fountain show occur?

I almost always forget/overlook this area, even though it's such a wonderful asset to the city.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 04 Dec 2020 11:52

DPatel304 wrote:
casperitl wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUDSD27pVw

How often does that fountain show occur?

I almost always forget/overlook this area, even though it's such a wonderful asset to the city.

Seems that they close it for maintenance every so often. The fountain show is a pretty regular kind of thing, once every half hour or hour. Always takes me by surprise when it starts.

Monied elites in Dallas gave up on Fair Park long ago with a move to the Arts District. Since they seem to move as a flock on projects, KWP seems to be where their money falls especially if they can name something after themselves.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 Dec 2020 11:58

This looks really cool! I presume the kids won't be able to play in the portion of the fountain that will be shooting 100-foot-tall geysers. That wouldn't seem safe. ;-)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Dec 2020 10:43

I believe the 100 foot water sprays will be protected by sculptural cages similar to what was in the rendering video from a few months back.

Screenshot 2020-12-07 105850.png

The new rendering shows basically something similar just on steroids in true Dallas form.

V_-NEW-FOUNTAIN-AT-KLYDE-WARREN-PARK-6A_00.00.00.20.png

How much water will fall on to Woodall Rogers on a decent windy day I wonder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Dec 2020 10:47

cowboyeagle05 wrote:How much water will fall on to Woodall Rogers on a decent windy day I wonder.

:lol: I didn't even consider this. Hopefully they've really thought this one through.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Dec 2020 11:11

DPatel304 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:How much water will fall on to Woodall Rogers on a decent windy day I wonder.

:lol: I didn't even consider this. Hopefully they've really thought this one through.

Maybe they could have RainX sponsor the maintenance and the fountains could shoot their windshield treatment fluid!

vman

Postby vman » 19 Jan 2021 07:31

So it looks like Mi Cocina is taking over the old Savor space in Klyde Warren.
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... mi-cocina/

Klyde Warren Park’s new high-profile restaurant? Mi Cocina

Mi Cocina, the Tex-Mex restaurant known for its brisket tacos and frozen Mambo Taxi cocktails, won the bid to be the flagship restaurant at Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

Company executives will pump at least $2 million into a renovation of the glassed-in restaurant that currently sits vacant, says Edgar Guevara, president and CEO of M Crowd restaurant group, which operates Mi Cocina.

Mi Cocina on the Park is expected to open this fall.

“If you look at great urban parks, they all have great restaurants,” says chairman of the Woodall Rodgers Park Foundation Jody Grant.

The park’s board of directors had been hunting for a new tenant since Savor closed in August 2020. The restaurant is on park grounds, and the park benefits from the success of the restaurant. About 8% of Mi Cocina’s sales will go into Klyde Warren, which is meaningful money for the privately funded park, says Kit Sawers, the park’s president.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Jan 2021 07:58

Mi cocina is a Great restaurant? :D

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Jan 2021 09:24

Don't actually hate this. Actually makes sense on a number of levels. I'm sure it'll be a really nice space and should attract both locals and tourists.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Jan 2021 09:33

Kelley USA wrote:Don't actually hate this. Actually makes sense on a number of levels. I'm sure it'll be a really nice space and should attract both locals and tourists.

I agree! Mi Cocina is much more approachable than Savor, which is what this area needs. Plus it's a bit touristy, mainstream, and well known, I think it's a pretty good fit for the area.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 19 Jan 2021 10:03

This is good news.. mi cocina is attractive to all classes yet not tacky or cheap in the sense either.. think it will be a good addition for the park.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 19 Jan 2021 10:29

I'm sure Miriam across the street will be thrilled.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 19 Jan 2021 12:47

CTroyMathis wrote:I'm sure Miriam across the street will be thrilled.

This was my first thought, as well. Miriam, Meso Maya/La Ventana, El Fenix and now Mi Cocina all steps away from one another — that’s a lot of Mexican food competition.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Jan 2021 13:43

dukemeredith wrote:
CTroyMathis wrote:I'm sure Miriam across the street will be thrilled.

This was my first thought, as well. Miriam, Meso Maya/La Ventana, El Fenix and now Mi Cocina all steps away from one another — that’s a lot of Mexican food competition.

To me, El Fenix is probably the restaurant most directly in competition with Mi Cocina. I mean, Meso Maya/La Ventana and El Fenix are in the same building, if saturation was an issue then they wouldn't all still be there.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 19 Jan 2021 14:14

The trifecta off Miguel Martinez Way (Alamo St) should be just dandy for sure, it works and I hope it always does.

I just hope Miriam's survives, even though it's quite different than Mi Cocina, there might not be that natural draw to cross the street because Savor was Savor (or Relish) and Miriam's isn't/wasn't Savor.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jan 2021 16:05

I went to Savor once or twice. Not a bad place but seemed expensive. Mi Cocina will knock it out of the park just with those Mambo Taxi's alone.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 04 Mar 2021 20:23

Three Downtown Dallas Parks Deliver Differing Visions of Public Space

https://magazine.texasarchitects.org/20 ... lic-space/

Klyde Warren Park

Klyde Warren Park, Dallas’ freeway-topping jewel which has been successful beyond anyone’s wildest dreams, set a new tone for public space in Dallas. It demonstrated the need for public spaces in the urban core, and the resulting property value, development, and tax revenue explosion was immense. As park co-founder and chairman Jody Grant recalls, Klyde Warren was originally conceived as an economic development project, but it has become so much more. The 5.2-acre park contains a great lawn, a children’s play area, a restaurant, a performance pavilion, splash pads, a reading room, games for rent, a putting green, ping pong tables, natural planting areas, and a dog park. Despite so much programming, there is still space for people to simply sit in the shade and watch the activity. The designers struck a balance between ‘active’ and ‘passive’ that seems to be working quite well. One of the most passive areas is the far east end of the park, where a triangular section of lawn is bounded by two paths and Pearl Street. Here, the park design called for a fountain, but it was not included in the original build-out due to cost.

The park foundation recently announced a new planned fountain for this location — and it did so with an exceedingly fanciful rendering: giant illuminated shafts of rainbow-colored water jets shooting high into a night sky featuring a vivid Milky Way galaxy and fireworks exploding in the distance. Grant now realizes the tacky rendering was counterproductive — Dallas Morning News architecture critic Mark Lamster said it gave one “that feeling of mortification when you witness someone do something foolish.” Subsequent images, which display the fountain in a less embellished manner, show something much more appropriately scaled and devoid of gimmicks. Grant envisions the fountain as the entrance to the heart of the city and an iconic and tasteful landmark that will inspire countless selfies and Instagram shots.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 20 May 2021 10:16

I was never a fan of the idea of linking KWP with the Perot via an elevated walk way partly due to the cost/benefit of the Elevated walk way vs. creating a better experience of walking there at ground level... Considering the current path between the two sites is so bad even the simplest upgrades would make a world of difference. I was also not a fan of the design/look of the elevated walk way proposed... it was not very elegant.

But, I just recently saw this (see link) project and wow.... the cost/benefit may still not be there but for an elegant elevated walkway this would be very cool... and even more amazing if extended to connect to the Trinity park.

https://www.archdaily.com/961855/the-ti ... um=gallery

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 20 May 2021 12:47

gshelton91 wrote:But, I just recently saw this (see link) project and wow.... the cost/benefit may still not be there but for an elegant elevated walkway this would be very cool... and even more amazing if extended to connect to the Trinity park.
https://www.archdaily.com/961855/the-ti ... um=gallery

What i like about this design is that it considers both the space above and below. But..
As if anyone from Dallas could be so bold. What we will get is the most basic walkway, unpainted concrete like a standard highway overpass.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 20 May 2021 14:57

When does work start on the fountain and is the expansion construction still slated for this fall/winter and 2024 completion?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Jun 2021 07:34

Klyde Warren Park expansion moves forward with financial approval from Dallas City Council
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... y-council/

Construction of the new deck park west of St. Paul Street over Woodall Rodgers Freeway and other improvements are slated to start in December and be completed in August 2024. The work is being led by the Texas Department of Transportation, which estimates the modifications west of the park alone could cost at least $57 million.

On Wednesday, city officials approved seeking $30 million in federal money via the North Central Texas Council of Governments to help pay for the 1.7-acre expansion.

The Woodall Rodgers Park Foundation, which manages Klyde Warren Park, is expected to kick in another $10 million and TxDOT close to $9 million, and city bond money will provide nearly $8 million. Private donations are expected to cover the bulk of the rest of the overall project costs.

Guessing the big question is whether the $30M fed request was always part of the plan and this is just a formality, or if it's a new potential source of funds from Cares Act, Transportation Bill or something else. DMN mentions that private donations will cover the rest and doesn't specify ones already announced from Jacobs Engineering ($8M for Jacobs Lawn), Nancy and Randy Best ($10M for vertical fire hose) and others.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 28 Jun 2021 19:22

D Magazine had an interview with the president of the park regarding the expansion, and, it sounds like, the "Visitors Center" within the building has essentially been reduced to a ticket counter after the whole VisitDallas debacle.

What We Know about the Klyde Warren Park Expansion

“We continue to be very excited about the Klyde Warren Park expansion, but VisitDallas has no plans to be a tenant in this structure and no financial commitments pertaining to the expansion project,” said Zane Harrington, a spokesman for the organization.
“We are talking to VisitDallas,” Sawers said, “Not as initially anticipated, but to help us set up a concierge, if you will, for the city.”

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2021 21:33

Yeah it will be a brochure desk essentially. Klyde Warren Parks PR firm told them to stay away from the wasteful spending themes when trying to sell "voters" aka the politician's on a floating parking garage. Pick you battles here. Smaller visitor center means more parking spaces! Am I right?!?!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 28 Jul 2021 17:05

Tentative fountain schedule, including a third set of park restrooms (not incl. inside old Savor and maybe a staff set behind the scenes) because the fountain isn't for that ;) -

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021020929

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 28 Jul 2021 17:21

Oh, also, I'm not sure it's been noted - but, that area above/along the Pearl-Olive exit seems to be u/c next to Museum Tower for the replacement/new dog park. Kind of a late note.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Jul 2021 17:25

because the fountain isn't for that

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 22 Sep 2021 23:19

Any update on the “Super” fountain?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 01 Nov 2021 20:36

ajderry2017 wrote:Any update on the “Super” fountain?

Found this on YouTube. It shows additional renderings that I haven’t seen before. This is a month old. Still no start date for the fountain but the bid for the expansion starts Jan 6th.

Starts at 39:00

https://youtu.be/fWaWx66r2cE

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Nov 2021 09:20

Looks like the Super Fountain is now just 3 separate fountains, that don't shoot near as high into the air as first mentioned. More of just an art piece now rather than a Super Fountain. Still a nice addition though!

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 13 Nov 2021 00:38

dallaz wrote:Found this on YouTube. It shows additional renderings that I haven’t seen before. This is a month old. Still no start date for the fountain but the bid for the expansion starts Jan 6th.

Starts at 39:00

https://youtu.be/fWaWx66r2cE

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like the Super Fountain is now just 3 separate fountains, that don't shoot near as high into the air as first mentioned. More of just an art piece now rather than a Super Fountain. Still a nice addition though!

Thats not what I understood.
The 3 separate fountains are just metal cages around the « water cannons » that shoot up 100 feet. It is a safety barrier that looks like a sculpture.
Which makes sense, you wouldn’t want little kids running into them.
FC4629D5-0E81-4442-86BE-44223C66FB73.png
656B6E29-5E0E-40C5-8FF0-5AB3F3A9DB92.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Nov 2021 07:39

I'm liking this concept more and more.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 14 Nov 2021 21:13

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Nov 2021 08:41

Looks like we have confirmation of rentable tenant space in the new Pavilion at Klyde Warren.

8,000 sf or could be split into two if they found the right tenants.

https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default ... 1617746683

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 16 Nov 2021 10:15

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Looks like we have confirmation of rentable tenant space in the new Pavilion at Klyde Warren.

8,000 sf or could be split into two if they found the right tenants.

https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default ... 1617746683

Really curious to see what tenant/tenants end up taking this space. Could be so damn cool to have some unique shops "on the park."

Also, whoever created that Shop Companies deck needs to be fired. :lol:
They mislabeled multiple buildings... Renaissance Tower = Trammell Crow Center? And Trammell Crow Center = Comerica Bank Tower? Sigh. (see page 6)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Nov 2021 11:55

I think the space was originally meant for some of that "Visitors Center" which I imagine may have not used all of it but would have had offices or private space the Visit Dallas team would have had that most people may have not known was even there. Then again the Klyde Warren team may have always known they would have some leasable space but didn't want to talk about for what ever reason. Makes for an easy pop retail spot I guess beyond the constant argument about parking. Since they are not doing a education center or something community based I assume it all about making a profit to help the park be sustainable financially.

Maybe once its built we can have a Spirit Store located there for Halloween...

A Nieman's Boutique sounds appropriate for Klyde Warren

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Dec 2021 12:09

The Perot family is donating $5 million toward expanding the children's area. The donation comes with a renaming: for Sheila and Jody Grant, the founders of the park. During the expansion work, the children's area will be unavailable, and construction will take about 6 months to complete. Promoters promise other areas/activities will be available to kids elsewhere in the park in the meantime.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/klyde-war ... -expansion
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/12/02/chi ... ot-family/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 May 2022 22:57

They’ve installed the “steel trees” for the water fountain on Pearl. Didn’t get the opportunity to take a pic unfortunately.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 31 May 2022 08:41

Here you go!

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 31 May 2022 11:40

Looks like they're making good progress. Can't wait for KWP to reopen.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 31 May 2022 12:04

Looking good, thanks for the photo.
What's the kiosk going to be used for?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 31 May 2022 12:25

Bathroom, possibly - at least a new set is planned somewhere on that side. Thanks for the photo Sam!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2022 11:41

Anybody been by lately?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jul 2022 12:39

I pass by olive Monday and Wednesday mornings. They're clearly behind schedule.

You can see the fountain metal decor up... But from what I can't tell the turf is all dug up and there's clearly some type of work still happening.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Jul 2022 12:53

There is much to do still, but, from what I can tell every day when I walk through at least twice - they haven't neglected the existing trees.
Structures taking shape. That one kiosk has windows, pretty sure that's not the new bathroom on that end of the park. There's another structure also.

Some pictures from lunch maybe 30 minutes ago at link:
https://twitter.com/CTroyMathis/status/ ... 0310341632

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2022 14:17

^Thanks, great pics