Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Trinity River Park

casperitl

Re: Trinity River Park

Postby casperitl » 22 Mar 2020 12:32

So....they only raised half the money they committed to raising and also did not meet their contract deadline with the City of Dallas. How is this a good thing. In addition their director resigned.

No news of building out the actual park just the overlooks that will tie into private land development owned largely by the non-profit or members of their board.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Mar 2020 16:56

Maybe more of the old tollroad stalwarts will resign and we can get on with a wilderness park. Building overlooks that enhance adjacent properties is fine with me; graft will always be a problem but no matter what happens between the levees, river bottom adjacent private properties need to be developed guided by the pedestrian mobility into the park. The overlooks will be popular and there's little choice but design around walkers and bike riders.

I think the entire length of the river between levees should be a managed wilderness designed to clean the water, become home to the greatest biodiversity in the region, and entirely accessible by foot.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Mar 2020 10:32

I assumed Brent Brown wouldn't last he is an upstanding guy who actually cares about community engagement but The Trinity Conservancy is about making sure whatever happens to the Trinity benefits developers and private landowners to the highest levels.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 12 May 2020 12:39

Interesting story from Jim Schutze on the non-profit contracted by the Local Government Corporation to build a park like amenity in the floodplain.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/mor ... y-11910221

Seems their ideas are vastly different than that of building a park. Economic development, TIFs and issuance of debt to name a few.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 May 2020 16:41

Nice read and honestly even if you saw this play as just an innovative way to pay for the park the reality is historical context plus the secrecy of this group has to be taken into account. If they city were to create a TIF like board for a Trinity Park and a whole new slew of people would be a part of it and meetings were public I'd say sure lets try it. The reality is histrionically any group that's been in charge of the Trinity River Project has been malicious self-serving and flat out lairs at every turn. Disband the group and put the sick horse down turn it into glue and be done with it.

TIF boards are not innocent groups outside of the Trinity context and depending on who you talk to they are the devil or a cities best friend. Introducing the Trinity Park into any traditionally bureaucratic organizational developmental tool seems to act like nitro to an already illegal street race, historically speaking. What I am reading is it sounds like it will take another 10-20 years to kill off the last parts of the Trinity Project delusion.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 09 Jul 2020 09:15

The Trinity Park Conservancy...and its lead project designer, Michael Van Valkenburgh Architects, have settled on a preliminary design for a large overlook park on top of the west levee, straddling Commerce Street. The conservancy has begun a national search for a “visionary architect” to “reimagine” the Jesse R. Dawson State Jail. The conservancy envisions it as a “visual anchor and hub” for the future park and also “a place of healing” for those coming and going to the adjacent Dallas County justice complex across Commerce Street.

Architects submitting for the job must have their applications in to the conservancy by July 23. A selection will be chosen from a group of finalists by Aug. 7. There will be no public review...Plans, meanwhile, have progressed considerably further on the West Overlook. A preliminary conceptual plan for the West Overlook of the Trinity Park, which would straddle Commerce Street between Beckley Avenue and the Trinity levee wall. The Conservancy has estimated its cost at roughly $45 million.

The signature feature of the south side will be a maze garden and a large “over/under” playground with customized elements — slides, tunnels — embedded into the landscape, all linked by meandering, shaded paths. The north end will have more programming, including a cafe with roof deck; a civic plaza with an interactive water feature; a separate playground for water-based play with toy bridges and other quirky features; a swing area set into a ridged landscape with views of downtown and the levee; and a small theater, inspired by the German playground designer Günter Beltzig, that can be used for puppet shows, performances, classes, and other play.

These projects do not interfere with the approval process for the Army Corps of Engineers’ $300 million Trinity improvement project.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/architecture/2020/07/10/say-goodbye-to-the-ugliest-building-in-dallas/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2020 12:31

This is exactly the type of project I was hoping would happen, I really hope this one does come to fruition!

I feel like the pedestrian Bridge is excessive and unnecessary. I'd rather see people just utilize the existing crosswalk which is actually pretty well built as is.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Jul 2020 14:06

Cheeky move, DMN. Make me sign up for the email newsletter to access the story, then block me again because it contains "Member Only" content. Clever.

Anywho, this looks awesome and I hope that it comes to fruition. It seems like the best way to get to a revamp of the Trinity is for several of these smaller projects to be successful first.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jul 2020 22:32

Say goodbye to the ugliest building in Dallas — and hello to new playgrounds along the Trinity
The former Jesse R. Dawson State Jail (center) at 106 West Commerce Street near downtown Dallas is pictured at sunset, Tuesday, July 7, 2020. The plain brown building is going to be renovated as part of a radical makeover and redevelopment of the Trinity River into a park.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-enterta ... in-dallas/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2020 06:31

So, it looks like the real estate development cartel aka Trinity Park Conservancy has finally given up trying to put a programmable park between the levees; It only took 30 years. The city can match donations and develop a handful of strategically located parks outside the levees and aim for the real estate development boom similar to what Klyde Warren Deck Park brought to the Arts District adjacent land.

And, the Trinity River flood plane can become a managed wilderness giving the City that very elusive natural beauty component constantly overlooked by the real estate development crowd because a river doesn't have the same punch as a mountain or ocean view. If Dallas and Tarrant Counties manage to create a congruous swath of land between the two downtowns that is allowed to grow back to near virgin wilderness..... whatever

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2020 13:31

I'd like to see what they come up with for that concrete structure. Could they add floors to it? Windows, balconies and a few more floors might make it a desirable place to live. That parking lot on the east side has to go tho, that thing is pathetic.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jul 2020 14:08

I'm not really sure what could be done to it, but I would think it would definitely need some windows. With all the high-end apartments being built today, perhaps this could be converted into a more budget-friendly urban living option instead?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Jul 2020 21:05

DPatel304 wrote:I'm not really sure what could be done to it, but I would think it would definitely need some windows. With all the high-end apartments being built today, perhaps this could be converted into a more budget-friendly urban living option instead?

Budget friendly overlooking the river or a fantastic downtown view. Interesting thought, I wonder if that is being considered.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jul 2020 11:16

Tnexster wrote:Budget friendly overlooking the river or a fantastic downtown view. Interesting thought, I wonder if that is being considered.

Lol yeah, you'd get some killer views. I was only saying it could be 'budget' friendly in case there were units without windows or the units were small in size.

Of course this really depends on the current state of the building and what the interior looks like. I'm sure if it were feasible to convert this into another high-end residential it would be done (and I would support that). But if that would just not be feasible and involve too much time/money, then having a more budget-friendly development would be nice for a change.