American Airlines

Tnexster

American Airlines

Postby Tnexster » 04 Nov 2016 01:56

Take a look at the roomier seats in American Airlines' newest Dreamliner

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/amer ... dreamliner

The latest version of American Airlines’ Boeing 787 Dreamliner was on display at a maintenance hangar near DFW International Airport Thursday, offering an up close look at the roomier premium economy cabin the company hopes will be a popular seller when it goes on sale next year.

The Boeing 787-9 is an extended version of the company’s 787-8 Dreamliner that debuted in American’s fleet last year. The new plane is 20 feet longer and seats 285 people, compared to the 226 seats on American’s 787-8.

The plane on display at American’s maintenance hangar Thursday hasn’t entered service yet, but a different 787-9 has been ferrying passengers between DFW Airport and Los Angeles International Airport for the last month.

Tnexster

Re: American Airlines

Postby Tnexster » 05 Dec 2016 23:22

American Airlines to reduce the number of Cuba flights

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ights.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 May 2017 14:47

Exclusive: American Airlines details plans for 1.8M SF campus in Fort Worth

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... -1-8m.html

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 15 Jun 2018 17:12

American will name their upcoming headquarters building for former CEO Robert Crandall. The complex is still due for completion in the summer of next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ame ... ampus-name

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 13 Jul 2018 17:08

American has recently announced plans to use biodegradable straws and wooden stir sticks, instead of plastic ones used up to now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... straw.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Sep 2018 23:17

DMN and Bloomberg are reporting early talks between Emirates and Etihad Airways that could result in a merger. If so, their combined passenger traffic and market value would be larger than current airline leader American.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ihad-merge

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2018 12:14

Why suburban office campuses aren’t really walkable

http://cityobservatory.org/why-suburban ... -walkable/

Here’s the bottom line: no matter how much your press release talks about miles of trails, or even a hundred bikes, if you build your new 12,000 person headquarters in a distant suburban greenfield, with hardly any transit or mixed land uses nearby, walled off from neighbors by freeways or major arterials, and plan for nearly one parking space for every employee, you’ve done almost nothing to create a walkable environment. Apparently American Airlines thinks that the new site plan will appeal to a younger generation of workers who wants more authentic walkability. Maybe, but only if their definition of walkability is walking to or from their car or between office buildings on the company website. People who want to walk, cycle or take transit from their homes to their workplaces will find it extremely difficult to realize that vision.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 27 Nov 2018 13:49

Tnexster wrote:Why suburban office campuses aren’t really walkable

http://cityobservatory.org/why-suburban ... -walkable/

Here’s the bottom line: no matter how much your press release talks about miles of trails, or even a hundred bikes, if you build your new 12,000 person headquarters in a distant suburban greenfield, with hardly any transit or mixed land uses nearby, walled off from neighbors by freeways or major arterials, and plan for nearly one parking space for every employee, you’ve done almost nothing to create a walkable environment. Apparently American Airlines thinks that the new site plan will appeal to a younger generation of workers who wants more authentic walkability. Maybe, but only if their definition of walkability is walking to or from their car or between office buildings on the company website. People who want to walk, cycle or take transit from their homes to their workplaces will find it extremely difficult to realize that vision.

Like an American Airlines jet, the point just sailed waaaaay over this blogger's head. A throwaway quote about how people can walk or take a shared bike to another building for a meeting somehow turned into a few thousand words on how something that was never meant to be "walkable" isn't "walkable." I'm looking forward to his next post highlighting the huge disparity in property tax revenue between a 60-story condo tower and a two-lane asphalt road as conclusive proof that we shouldn't have any roads. :roll:

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Nov 2018 16:37

It seems really stupid to have to take a bike or walk outside for a meeting on shared suburban campus. Are they saving buxx on a tiny office gym or concerned about their employee's vitamin D intake? Nortel's old campus in the Richardson Telecom corridor was haphazardly designed like that, but that was back in 1994.

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Nov 2018 12:20

I take no issue with the point the article is trying to make, but as is typical with many pieces like this, the snobbyness in which they do it is a turn off. You don't encourage behavior by presenting your point in such a self-obsessed/elitist tone. Instead, you discourage people who could actually learn from the topic from even pursuing it further.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 28 Nov 2018 15:00

muncien wrote:I take no issue with the point the article is trying to make, but as is typical with many pieces like this, the snobbyness in which they do it is a turn off. You don't encourage behavior by presenting your point in such a self-obsessed/elitist tone. Instead, you discourage people who could actually learn from the topic from even pursuing it further.

Tone aside, it was completely ignorant of AA's goals with the new HQ - namely having a single campus that encompassed all of their headquarters functions, as opposed to their current split operation on both sides of 360. Given all the investment in a new IOC, plus the existing training and reservations facilities, it's a no-brainer to locate the corporate offices adjacent to those facilities. They spent extra money building a campus with parking garages at the perimeters and lots of green space in the middle, which beats the heck out of buildings surrounded by acres of concrete lots, and yet they still got criticized for not waving a magic wand and somehow turning Euless into Manhattan.

It would be one thing if this was a bank envelope-stuffing or loan servicing operation that could just as easily be located in a tower downtown, but there are tangible operational reasons for an airline headquarters to be near that airline's main hub. Plus, you can imagine the griping if AA plopped a plain beige box for their flight simulators and cabin training mock-ups on a prime piece of downtown real estate.

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Nov 2018 16:32

I do recall that AA HQ was strongly considering anchoring the Cowboy's Stadium site in Irving. While on the surface, such a proposal may not seem to different than what they have now, that Cowboy's Stadium site was going to include considerable mixed use development as well as an DART stop that provided service to DFW airport directly. It would have been considerably MORE walkable... With that perspective, I do think it's silly that they try to spin the new HQ to be the same. There are clearly differences... But as for making a walkable suburban stand alone campus... yes, they accomplished that. I just think that's a fairly 'low bar' for being considered 'walkable'.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 28 Nov 2018 17:14

Jet Blue is probably the best of all the US Airlines when it comes to "walkability" and HQ being well thought out in Long Island City. Of course, Amazon may force them to move to Orlando (long rumored due to cost of living). Yes, United is at Willis Tower but I have only heard how much of a pain it is from an operations standpoint being on so many floors. Walkable, but disjointed as an office.

Otherwise, SWA and Delta are just giant sprawling office buildings with bridges over parking lots and streets. I think it looks great, and the story is ridiculous. I'd love to hear about how green that place is going to be. I personally would love to work in a corporate hq like what they're building if I had to work in the burbs.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 28 Nov 2018 19:08

flyswatter wrote:Jet Blue is probably the best of all the US Airlines when it comes to "walkability" and HQ being well thought out in Long Island City. Of course, Amazon may force them to move to Orlando (long rumored due to cost of living). Yes, United is at Willis Tower but I have only heard how much of a pain it is from an operations standpoint being on so many floors. Walkable, but disjointed as an office.

Otherwise, SWA and Delta are just giant sprawling office buildings with bridges over parking lots and streets. I think it looks great, and the story is ridiculous. I'd love to hear about how green that place is going to be. I personally would love to work in a corporate hq like what they're building if I had to work in the burbs.

United is rumored to want out (https://www.chicagobusiness.com/commerc ... 2-tailwind) and they still have significant operations near O'Hare for training and flight ops. On a global level, BA, AF and KLM are all located out near their respective hub airports, despite being nominally headquartered in walkable, transit-friendly World cities like London, Paris, and Amsterdam. Those companies obviously have no trouble attracting workers to their non-urban offices, even without the car-first culture that is so common in the US.

Long story short, not every company will have the same priorities when it comes to site selection, and people who fancy themselves an "urban economist and opinion leader" (like the author) should recognize that employees at an airline in Texas aren't neccesarily going to place the same premium on bike lanes and artisanal eateries as someone working at a think tank in Portland.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Jun 2019 14:50

American Airlines is building a $250 million hotel, conference center at the 'heart' of its HQ

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ame ... r-heart-hq

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Jun 2019 00:58

Tnexster wrote:American Airlines is building a $250 million hotel, conference center at the 'heart' of its HQ

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ame ... r-heart-hq

The hotel, which is planned to have 600 rooms, has not been approved or permitted yet by the City of Fort Worth. The artwork in the article, shows the planned hotel (no branding was revealed in the article) in the center of the graphic as a "+" shaped building. Completion is set for 2 years from now.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Jun 2019 01:07

Meanwhile, in the same article, a picture of the site of the upcoming replacement company headquarters complex was shown, from last November. The picture is looking southwestward, with Trinity Blvd. in the upper center distant. The tax arrangement made with the City of Fort Worth required that the complex be completed and occupied by the end of this year. The hotel announcement article revealed that later this month, the new headquarters will be ready for the first of the airline's employees to move in.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 05 Jun 2019 08:11

Hotel is very likely for training employees, similar to the JetBlue hotel in Orlando and honestly I think it is only a matter of time before Southwest does the same thing as I am sure it's cheaper in the long run than having a permanent block of rooms at the downtown Sheraton and having shuttle buses all day.

The HQ is, in my opinion, very AA...spending absurd money for an overly swanky office building, meanwhile they are fighting union groups on pay and have a massive amount of debt to pay off. Probably doesn't help the low morale in their work groups.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Jun 2019 12:47

I have very high hopes that Southwest will turn their side of Love Field into a fantastic corporate-everything center and leading edged of aerotropolis development in this country.

Hopefully the region's transit agencies will be able to function as a single entity sooner rather than later, we need trains starting in Denton running through the airport and AA Corporate Campus/aerotropolis then to Arlington. AA and Southwest as good corporate citizens and significant sponsors/advertisers will pay for upgraded/superior transit connection between their corporate and airfield operations.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 05 Jun 2019 15:10

tamtagon wrote:I have very high hopes that Southwest will turn their side of Love Field into a fantastic corporate-everything center and leading edged of aerotropolis development in this country.

Hopefully the region's transit agencies will be able to function as a single entity sooner rather than later, we need trains starting in Denton running through the airport and AA Corporate Campus/aerotropolis then to Arlington. AA and Southwest as good corporate citizens and significant sponsors/advertisers will pay for upgraded/superior transit connection between their corporate and airfield operations.

I'd be curious to see a heatmap of where AA's HQ employees live- anecdotally, I know of a lot who live in the mid-cities, and I'm sure a fair few live in DT Dallas and Fort Worth, I'm just not sure there are enough living along existing/proposed transit lines to justify much more than an AA-specific shuttle bus from CenterPort to their HQ campus. As it is the Trinity Metro circulator ridership is pretty pathetic, but it may be better once all AA employees are co-located

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jun 2019 16:33

American modernizes fleet with big Airbus order

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

Notice there is no Boeing in that order.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 24 Sep 2019 03:47

The headquarters for American is opening, and 12,000 employees are about done with their moves to the new complex.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rters.html
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/loc ... ort-worth/

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 24 Sep 2019 06:40

Interesting to compare the two DFW airline HQs. Southwest is very modest and practical, American's is flashy and luxurious.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Oct 2019 11:39

American Airlines is adding a nonstop from DFW to New Zealand

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... -from-dfw/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jan 2021 15:22

American Airlines ground crews plead for help amid COVID-19 outbreaks
Unions at DFW, LAX and MIA said dozens of employees a day are out on leave due to new coronavirus cases.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... outbreaks/

Wonder where airline employees fall in the rollout of vaccinations? With the exposure risk one would hope they are closer to the front end of the line.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 11 Jan 2021 10:22

Tnexster wrote:American Airlines ground crews plead for help amid COVID-19 outbreaks
Unions at DFW, LAX and MIA said dozens of employees a day are out on leave due to new coronavirus cases.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... outbreaks/

Wonder where airline employees fall in the rollout of vaccinations? With the exposure risk one would hope they are closer to the front end of the line.

What's crazy is that all the media attention has been focused on the actual "flying in a plane" part of air travel, when the real risk lies in the stuff that happens on the ground and isn't particularly unique to air travel (loading and unloading bags on a plane isn't all that different from loading and unloading trucks at amazon or a grocery store, two jobs that are essential to the "stay home" message we've been hearing for nearly a year).

Ground workers at American surprisingly have been hit harder by the COVID-19 pandemic than pilots and flight attendants, who have more exposure to customers and the general public.

This is only surprising to someone with a Journalism degree :lol: . Numerous studies have shown that, given current mask requirements, the risk of catching COVID on a flight is basically nil. The cabin air is completely replaced every 2-3 minutes, so unless you're giving a terminally-ill COVID patient mouth to mouth, it's impossible to have the kind of prolonged exposure needed for an infection to take hold. But instead, the "recycled air" myth lives on...

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Oct 2022 03:03

American is planning a new headquarters hotel for employees and trainees at its home office campus south of DFW Airport. It will replace an existing on-site hotel for flight attendant trainees.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 498976.php

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2022 15:24

This is the most confusing sub-headline I have seen in a while when rendering to DFW.

The employee-only 'hospitality complex' will be built on a 300-acre corporate campus the Dallas-based air carrier is constructing in Fort Worth.

So the carrier is based in Dallas but is in Fort Worth guess they thought saying DFW-based or just accepting Fort Worth as the city's technical base isn't clear enough so they added confusion with the above phrasing.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Oct 2022 01:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:This is the most confusing sub-headline I have seen in a while when rendering to DFW.

The employee-only 'hospitality complex' will be built on a 300-acre corporate campus the Dallas-based air carrier is constructing in Fort Worth.

So the carrier is based in Dallas but is in Fort Worth guess they thought saying DFW-based or just accepting Fort Worth as the city's technical base isn't clear enough so they added confusion with the above phrasing.

I saw that too, but they're a Houston paper. I'm not sure why they're concerned. If it were a story about United, which has a hub at Houston-IAH, I could understand the paper focusing on it. Too many outsiders label "Dallas" on everything here, without care or concern for where something is actually based.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Oct 2022 01:35

The home base for the OneWorld partnership, which American is a major part, is moving to American's HQ (original posting in the City Issues: Corporate Relocations thread).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Oct 2022 05:49

Seems like a pretty big deal.... maybe a signal that the DFW global portal will grow to rival Chicago and Atlanta airports, or more likely it's just cheaper to office in North Texas....

As the population center continues to grow and the AA/DFW fortress hub becomes more massive, hopefully Fort Worth and/or McKinney airports will become viable passenger airports and Love Field capacity restrictions will be removed to provide at lease some competition for domestic / North American travelers.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 13 Oct 2022 13:24

Could a worst case scenario be that if LAX, Denver and Las Vegas all have increasing numbers of international nonstops to our west, and ATL, MIA and Orlando continue to do so to our east, that there will be less reason for national bicoastal feeder traffic hubbing to take place in the most central region anymore (ORD DFW IAH) other than by the airline that already had a fortress there?

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 24 Oct 2022 15:39

Highly doubtful. Most of the airports you mentioned are restricted by space. ORD/IAH/DFW are not as restricted as there is a lot of space for new facilities that can be constructed easier, cheaper, and quicker. Also, DFW especially has connections to just about anywhere you would want to go domestically within about a 3 hour flight. If anything I see more international destinations come here, especially if a new terminal is built. Cargo wise DFW is one of the larger airports and Alliance is growing quickly as well.