Delta in the Metroplex

I45Tex

Delta in the Metroplex

Postby I45Tex » 26 Nov 2018 16:00

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airb ... index.html

From early November:

"If you have plans to fly from New York to Dallas-Ft. Worth or to Houston, Delta is hoping you'll take notice. Those are two of the first routes the airline plans for these new jets beginning in January and April, respectively.
By the way, it's no coincidence that those two cities are dominated by Delta's competitors, United Airlines and American Airlines. Will the A220 allow Delta to give United and American a run for their money in these markets?

"Pretty good chance of it," says Richard Aboulafia, aviation industry analyst at Teal Group.
The A220 also helps increase profits by saving fuel. Airbus says it's 20% more fuel efficient than similar sized jets."

flyswatter

Re: Delta in the Metroplex

Postby flyswatter » 27 Nov 2018 09:25

Doubt it. Delta has a hell of a PR team. At the end of the day it's just a smaller plane on routes dominated by AA that uses much bigger planes much more frequently. It's like if AA went into ATL claiming they can win Delta frequent fliers over because they bought a new plane. The only mini victory is that they may use less fuel, but AA won't even notice since they have the high paying business travelers filling their planes.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 27 Nov 2018 15:26

Don't be so sure of that. Flying AA has gotten so unpleasant that I actively avoid them. The one carrot they have -- FF miles -- are close to worthless. My Lifetime Gold doesn't get me anything useful but a free checked bag -- which I could get by using their credit card. Upgrades are close to impossible to get unless you're PlatExec -- and they just made that harder to obtain.

AA has basically won the race to the bottom. Hell, I fly Spirit more than AA these days. Much friendlier staff who actually work during the flight, unlike AA FAs that make a quick run down the aisle then hide in the galley the rest of the flight. And, believe it or not, Spirit now has better on-time numbers than AA. Hell, I had an AA flight from Chicago to DFW not long ago where it actually took longer for them to get us our bags after landing than the time we spent in the air. NO exageration.

Disclaimer: I like Spirit so much I've even bought stock in them. :-)

Now if we could get someone to fly these out of DFW: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/embr ... index.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Nov 2018 16:05

It would be nice to see Delta with a bigger presence again at DFW, either like before when it was considered a hub or at least something more sizable than what they have here now.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Aug 2023 13:19

Delta did expand at Love Field this year:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-tex ... expansion/

Delta continues to fly to "eight of its nine hubs" (not Seattle) out of DFW and has not cut service there as it has added flights from Love to LAX, LGA and ATL.

"In total, Delta will offer over 20% more seats from Texas this summer compared to July 2022, as the airline looks to compete more fiercely in the state."

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Aug 2023 14:06

Currently Delta has decided not to compete hub-against-hub with carriers in Texas anymore, though: it is still focused on Austin (Delta's only other hubs or focus cities anywhere in between Utah and Georgia are Detroit and Minneapolis).

https://crankyflier.com/2021/03/09/delt ... ocus-city/

That's wise if having the greatest selection of service frequencies to/from particular airports (rather than having management strategy, personal attention, technological quality, or price) is what differentiates the biggest carriers these days at point of sale.