Meacham Airport

jrd1964

Meacham Airport

Postby jrd1964 » 22 Jun 2018 08:20

Meacham, north of downtown Fort Worth, has not had regular commercial passenger service since 1998. Now it appears there is new interest. Moxy Airways, a startup, wants to launch passenger service by 2020 and is looking at Fort Worth as well as other possible destinations. Other interested parties having conversations with the aviation director in Fort Worth include Frontier and Allegiant. Frontier seems to be the most eager, but the article doesn't say whether Frontier would remain at DFW if it gets to start service at Meacham.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/busin ... 84164.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Meacham Airport

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2018 08:29

It's about time!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jun 2018 15:07

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Comme ... 99991.html

...The City of Fort Worth said among the top three destinations that could be served from Meacham are Orlando, Las Vegas and Houston. City officials believe the airport could eventually support over 50-commercial flights every day.

I have a feeling it would take less time to reach 50 flights a day than to start planning an expansion. Maybe that's getting too far ahead, but seems that if the Meacham airlines can can make it, the location will be a hit with air travelers.

I wonder about the response from DFW and American.

The scale of Meacham on the left and Love on the right should be the same. Love Field has about 200 flights a day so maybe the passenger infrastructure (terminal, parking etc) is the main restriction capping Meacham to up to 50 flights a day as it exists now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 24 Jun 2018 15:33

NIMBYs, lack of concrete to put the planes, lack of passenger infrastructure.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Jun 2018 12:54

Other airlines have tried limited commercial service from Meacham before, but there just wasn't enough demand.

On the other hand, David Neeleman has an unmatched record when it comes to starting new airlines. If anyone knows how to pull it off, it's him. Think Morris Air (bought by Southwest), WestJet, JetBlue and Azul.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 25 Jun 2018 13:35

Personally I think the best non-DAL/DFW airport that could successfully do it would be McKinney. With Collin County's huge population boom, there's plenty of room at that airport to build a terminal and start small services, similar to Everett.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jun 2018 14:22

flyswatter wrote:Personally I think the best non-DAL/DFW airport that could successfully do it would be McKinney. With Collin County's huge population boom, there's plenty of room at that airport to build a terminal and start small services, similar to Everett.

I understand that with all the attention given to the remarkable growth in Plano/Frisco, but there's almost three times as many people in Tarrant County as Collin County.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 25 Jun 2018 23:42

Leisure travel base alone may not be enough to keep an airline going, though.
No matter how many people live in Tarrant County, (I think I do remember the latest population estimates put the Ft Worth-Arl Metropolitan Division in the neighborhood of 2.5MM or 33% and the Dallas-Plano-Irving Metropolitan Division at just about 5MM or 66%, but don't quote me on that) real estate broker JLL's free Q1 office market report* tells a different story about the commerce of these 7.5MM citizens.
Fort Worth and suburban Fort Worth markets account for 12.6 percent of Class A office product in the Metroplex, and less than 19% of total A+B office square footage.

* http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/en- ... 18-JLL.pdf but it may make you fill out a form first

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 26 Jun 2018 11:37

Sorry to continue this off-track, but the posts above spurred me to take a look at the county populations in the DFW metropolitan area.

Dividing it by county lines, about 2 Million people live in the "North Dallas" area, outside of Dallas County (Denton, Collin, Rockwall and Hunt Counties). About 3 million in the rest of the Dallas/Irving/Plano division (Dallas, Ellis, and Kaufman Counties). And about 2.5 million in the Fort Worth/Arlington division.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 16 Jan 2020 10:22

Moxy Airlines has a website now, kind of.
https://www.alternativeairlines.com/moxy-airways

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 16 Jan 2020 10:41

That's certainly not an official website, and it is just regurgitating information from wikipedia...

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 21 May 2023 11:46

Just a follow-up on Moxy Airways (not Meacham), for those like me who never really followed it and is curious - Moxy Airways became this: https://www.flybreeze.com/home