DFW Airport

longhorn

Re: DFW Airport

Postby longhorn » 25 Sep 2018 14:09

Thank you I45 Tex, that brings back some fond memories. I remember flying out of DFW after its first opened as a kid . Everytime the connector between C and D,I look for signs of the old Airtrans footprint still standing (on the west side in front Terminal D). Oh the memories.

Which makes the Skylink all the more remarkable. Even back in Crandall's days when AA was wheeling and dealing to take over all of now Terminal A and C. No one would have thought AA would be the main tenant in three of the four terminals in that brochure. All possible by Skylink.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Sep 2018 14:48

I45Tex wrote:About four more pages of that brochure are gone now. I don't know the year. But google image searching Surtran taxis turns up interesting NYT and architectural articles about DFW opening and Dallas in general.

Thanks for posting!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Oct 2018 20:23

Airline launches its first DFW Airport to Florida route, prices start at $39

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... tampa.html

dallasbeatsaustin

Postby dallasbeatsaustin » 03 Oct 2018 22:12

Yak_Forger wrote:Come on, direct DFW-CDG flights? Meanwhile, I can't get a decent flight when visiting distant relatives in Russia because everything goes through Moscow...
At least it will make the flights between Dallas and home much more convenient, and on Air France nonetheless! I just hope they won't follow the national tradition and be on strike every couple days.

A direct DFW to Moscow flight would be a dream for my family and I, especially my in-laws in Moscow. But yes, getting from TX to anywhere outside Moscow is a nightmare. Our friends from Ufa always have great connection stories. Also, we still hate ourselves because of the canceled Houston-Moscow route that Singapore ended two years ago. That was a sweet flight, and decent connections for those going farther into Russia/former USSR.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Oct 2018 12:58

A few days ago, American announced new service from DFW to the following destinations:

DFW–DGO (Durango, Mexico) Embraer E140 Daily Starts June 6
DFW–SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep) Boeing 737-800 Saturday June 8–Aug. 17
DFW–SAP (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) Airbus A319 4x weekly June 7–Aug. 17
DFW–TGU (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) Airbus A319 3x weekly June 6–Aug. 20

DFW–Augusta Regional Airport (AGS) in Georgia
DFW–Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) in Florida
DFW–Yuma International Airport (YUM) in Arizona
DFW–Meadows Field Airport (BFL) in Bakersfield, California
DFW- Harlingen, TX (HRL)

Beginning April 2, new daily service:
DFW–Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) in California (seasonal)
DFW–Flagstaff Pulliam Airport (FLG) in Arizona (year-round)
DFW–Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) in California (year-round)

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Oct 2018 08:53

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... pes-fliers

New lounges at DFW Airport cater to all types of fliers

by Conor Shine

...While airlines like American are investing millions of dollars upgrading their lounges with an eye toward catering to the most elite fliers, The Club aims to capitalize on shifting trends in airline loyalty and travel credit cards to tap a new audience of travelers.

“Demand is extremely high and it keeps growing,” said Nancy Knipp, senior vice president at Airport Lounge Development. “What’s really changing is the value of lounge access, particularly in the credit card world. Then you combine that with airline lounges becoming more exclusive. ... We’re opening that up to a broader audience.”
Knipp said Airport Lounge Development thinks it still has room to grow at DFW Airport, which is slated to add as many as 100 flights per day next year, most from American Airlines. The group plans to bid on the additional lounge space being made available by DFW.

so, the headline is tacking toward the absurd, this new lounge does not cater to all types of flyers, just an under-served segment of the traveling public-- the third wheel in the cozy relationship between credit card providers and airlines. Whatever. It's a step in the right direction.

Not until the airports shift focus to improve in-terminal experiences of both it's host population (permanent) and connecting flight population (transient) will the physical setting match up with what people seek out in day to day life. May be hard to imagine now in because most of travelers are overwhelmed dreaded airport experiences, but the most successful superhubs and global portals will amass collections of destination venues. Pleasure trips will schedule time to enjoy what the airport has to offer, rather than block out downtime waiting.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 19 Oct 2018 02:34

I would say that the DFW Airport experience is already far far ahead of most airports in the country.

Working as a consultant I have seen my fair share of lounges and public waiting areas - and DFW in the majority of its terminals is definitely not behind.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Oct 2018 08:03

^that's good to hear, in the last decade I've been to five airports so my personal consideration set is inadequate. As an emerging global portal, the experiences, services and accommodations available to travelers passing through DFW Airport needs to compare favorably to airports around the world.

The airport should build itself into an intentional and enjoyable stop for long distance travelers. Domestically, all cross country travelers facing 5+ hours total air-travel time (flight time plus time inside airport, excluding ground transpo to/from airport) should be lured to extend the air-travel time by 2-4 hours inside DFW by an array of daypart activities that enhance the reason for travel. Business travelers could have a full suite of full service co-working space available; breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, supper, snack time restaurants in full force to entertaining clients and potential clients; "hotel" rooms for taking a nap and cleaning up for the destination....

The airport facility should turn downtime of a connecting flight into a welcomed respite.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Oct 2018 09:50

^that's good to hear, in the last decade I've been to five airports so my personal consideration set is inadequate.

It's a bit difficult to measure in my opinion, because many other US airports and worldwide are much better located where the inside-airport experience is bad but you can literally walk out the door to better things. DFW is so isolated that the experience will have to be maintained by the airport because it will be 30 years or longer before you can walk out the airport door to something cool. And I'm using walking as a proxy for 30 minutes for the to/fro transit to something 'better' with no personal car.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 19 Oct 2018 11:21

In this era of TSA goons, airside amenities and private lounges in every terminal no experienced traveler is going to leave an airport in this country unless they've got an overnight layover.

The only time I've ever left an airport between flights was in the Middle East. It took a 16 hour layover and free rooms in the airline-owned five star hotel to lure us out. We never saw anything except through the window of the hotel van. And afterwards my traveling companion and I agreed it hadn't been worth the hassle, considering the amenities in the airline's lounge.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 22 Oct 2018 12:04

tamtagon wrote:^that's good to hear, in the last decade I've been to five airports so my personal consideration set is inadequate. As an emerging global portal, the experiences, services and accommodations available to travelers passing through DFW Airport needs to compare favorably to airports around the world.

The airport should build itself into an intentional and enjoyable stop for long distance travelers. Domestically, all cross country travelers facing 5+ hours total air-travel time (flight time plus time inside airport, excluding ground transpo to/from airport) should be lured to extend the air-travel time by 2-4 hours inside DFW by an array of daypart activities that enhance the reason for travel. Business travelers could have a full suite of full service co-working space available; breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, supper, snack time restaurants in full force to entertaining clients and potential clients; "hotel" rooms for taking a nap and cleaning up for the destination....

The airport facility should turn downtime of a connecting flight into a welcomed respite.

I'm really curious to meet these business travelers who seek out 2-4 hour connections on transcon trips through DFW. If my work is paying for me to travel somewhere, they don't want me to take the long way, even if there's a WeWork in the terminal. :roll:

All of the so-called "World Class" airports that get showered with accolades are serving a fundamentally different customer than 95% of the passengers going through DFW. Almost all of the passengers passing through DFW are connecting to or from a domestic city, even if they are taking an international flight.
Dubai, Singapore, etc are all about connecting passengers from Country A to Country B via Country C, and in many cases, citizens of Country A or B aren't allowed in Country C without a visa or other advance paperwork. It's not that the airport amenities are so much better than what's outside, it's that many passengers literally aren't allowed outside.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Nov 2018 22:46

DFW will be getting a second Panda Express location, in Terminal E. Also coming to Terminal E: a new Whataburger. Both will open in the terminal next year. Two additional duty-free shops are coming, by April 1--one for Terminal A, the other in Terminal C.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... ree-stores
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... hataburger

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Nov 2018 22:12

DFW Airport plans to issue billions in bonds for improvements, possibly including a sixth terminal

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... provements

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Dec 2018 13:23

According to a new report from Reuters, Amazon is looking at several top U.S. airports for potential locations for its cashier-free Go stores. The service cites public request records from airport operators suggesting meetings with the head of the retail service. Both the San Jose and Los Angeles airports have confirmed Amazon’s interest. Dallas appears to be on Amazon’s list of potential spots, as well.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/07/amazo ... -airports/

I was hoping we would be among the first to get one of these stores. Nothing has been confirmed, but, if they are eyeing airports, then DFW certainly makes a lot of sense.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 13 Dec 2018 14:59

American Airlines has added several new flights for DFW starting next year. Here's a rundown:

Changes:
-2nd daily flight for DFW to Paris and Madrid
-Upgauge on DFW-Anchorage to 787 during the Summer

New nonstop flights from DFW to:
-San Luis Obispo, CA
-Myrtle Beach, SC
-Harrisburg, PA
-Santa Rosa/Sonoma, CA
-Kalispell/Glacier Park, MT

Source: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1410585

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Dec 2018 16:45

No sooner than it started service to DFW, Icelandair has decided to pull out. Low-cost rival Wow Air did a seasonal suspension of DFW service in October; it hasn't decided when or if it will return to DFW.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... rket-cools

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Jan 2019 20:29

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 Jan 2019 08:10

Latest Shake Shack opens at DFW Airport's Terminal C

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... terminal-c

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Jan 2019 04:53

DFW International was just named global airport of the year

This distinction came from Air Transport World, an industry publication.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... rport-year
http://atwonline.com/daily-news/atw-ann ... rd-winners

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Jan 2019 08:08

itsjrd1964 wrote:http://atwonline.com/daily-news/atw-announces-2019-award-winners

Airport of the Year, to Dallas Fort Worth International, which has managed growth while continuing to add enhancements that ease the passenger’s journey. DFW has transformed into a global mega-hub, investing in new facilities, infrastructure and technologies, but its hybrid use lease agreement model keeps down costs for its airline customers. “It’s truly an honor to be recognized as Air Transport World’s Global Airport of the Year, and it’s a credit to the nearly 2000 employees of DFW Airport, who continually go above and beyond to take care of customers, address the needs of stakeholders, and engage with our surrounding communities,” said Sean Donohue, CEO of DFW Airport. “DFW is experiencing the fastest growth in more than a decade, and we see it as an opportunity to welcome the world to the Dallas Fort Worth region and advance the innovation and collaboration that deliver for our customers and make our communities stronger.”

Good publicity for the airport, but I'm going to remember some contrarian 'bullet points' leading up to this prize.... the 'fastest growth in more than a decade' follows a decade in which the airport grew very slowly, considerably slower than most other airports in the country. Also, for years the airport has been less expensive than other big airports in the country for carriers for decades but more expensive to passengers.

Hindsight makes the airport of the year prize a little less shiny, but the publicity and recognition is excellent. As North Texas continues economic and cultural expansion making the community a consideration or destination for more and more of the rest of the world, the airport will have to continue the expansion.

The next terminal addition is likely to abandon the horseshoe layout. With the design departure from existing terminals should come the expansion readiness to accommodate a competitive hub to oneworld & AA.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 21 Jan 2019 11:18

tamtagon wrote:The next terminal addition is likely to abandon the horseshoe layout. With the design departure from existing terminals should come the expansion readiness to accommodate a competitive hub to oneworld & AA.

I don't see how the future terminal F doesn't substantially copy Terminal D- the Skylink tracks were built out in anticipation of terminal F being built in the future, and the Terminal D design is largely on par with top-tier global airports as far as passenger amenities, waiting areas, etc. They even have a big gaudy luxury shopping mall now, tho they don't make you walk through it after clearing security the way European airports do.

The main shortcoming at DFW as compared to other global megahubs is something outside their control- how the US handles international arrivals. No matter what your next destination is, everyone* on an international flight arriving in the US goes straight to Immigration & customs where they pop out on the street and have to recheck luggage and re-clear security, though most every international hub also requires a security recheck when connecting as well. This puts a damper on international to international connections at US airports as people need a US visa or entry clearance to connect, plus their goods are subject to US customs limits even if just passing through.
(*I think there are a few random exceptions for a handful of flights from the south pacific to LAX that continue on to Europe and passengers continuing on are allowed to sit in a smallish holding area instead of clearing customs, but they obviously can't avail of the shops and restaurants)

DFW could of course build a "true" international terminal where passengers in transit don't have to clear customs formalities, but that would also mean anyone departing on an international flight from DFW would effectively "leave" the US as soon as they cleared the security check and have to go through customs to exit the terminal (if their flight is changed or cancelled for instance). It also couldn't be tied in with the Skylink system, which would make connecting from a domestic flight to an international one difficult.

My guess is that F looks like D when it gets built out, and the next wave of construction involves tearing down C, then A, then E and building a linear terminal with long perpendicular concourses and an FIS on the east side of the airport. The end state has AA mainline occupying the east side complex (including international arrivals for American Eagle), Terminal B remaining as domestic American Eagle, D being all non-AA carriers with international flights (Including Spirit and Suncountry), and F being the other US domestic carriers (Delta, United, Jet Blue, maybe Southwest by this point)

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 22 Jan 2019 12:23

Here are a few vintage DFW videos shared by the airport this week.

"The Air is our Ocean" https://www.facebook.com/DFWAirport/vid ... 799435545/
"The Field (1976-1983)" https://www.facebook.com/DFWAirport/vid ... 590020771/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Mar 2019 12:19

To keep DFW’s economic engine revving, American Airlines has to make a call on a new terminal

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... w-terminal

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Mar 2019 13:12

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2019/03/03/keep-dfws-economic-engine-revving-american-airlines-make-call-new-terminal

How to keep the momentum going? Never fall behind, said Sean Donohue, CEO of DFW Airport.

“We’re a part of this region’s growth, and we always have to stay ahead of it,” Donohue said. “We can never be a constraint.”

The constraint ends when the big airport evolves into a dual hub, elevating the North Texas economy to same plain as New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington DC.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Mar 2019 06:57

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 04 Mar 2019 12:49

Watch: D Editor Tim Rogers Talks Selling DFW Airport on Fox 4’s Good Day

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -good-day/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Mar 2019 19:26

dallaz wrote:Watch: D Editor Tim Rogers Talks Selling DFW Airport on Fox 4’s Good Day
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -good-day/

Interesting idea, but would the City want to give up that kind of control? Would there be lawsuits or other messes/issues involved (including with Fort Worth, and/or the neighboring cities)? Personally, I'd be scared of a private firm/group owning DFW, and foaming at the mouth to develop or sell off what hasn't already been done as airport infrastructure. The land buffer around DFW is one of its biggest advantages. Once an airport is hemmed-in/bunched-up like LaGuardia or Newark, there's no undoing that. This may go nowhere, or it may merit real consideration. But, the city must think long and hard over this kind of proposal before any yea/nay.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Apr 2019 06:59

from member elpingüino on the Fort Worth forum:

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/fo ... c=6661&hl=

is this story about the potential design of the next terminal at DFW

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/ext ... _caption=1

...Over the next two months, officials from DFW and American Airlines say they will begin behind-the-scenes talks about the proposed construction of Terminal F, which would be built just south of Terminal D at the current site of South Express Parking.

Airport officials say there's a good chance Terminal F will not be shaped like the other terminals, which feature a half-circle or half-moon design (although in Terminal D's case it's more of a squared off moon).

That's just an example of how the next airport terminal might be built with the out-of-town traveler in mind who is just here to change planes, and not necessarily the local flyer....For example, at the brand new airport in Istanbul, Turkey , the terminals stick out like fingers, making it possible for planes to park on both sides of each terminal pier.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Apr 2019 10:09

So basically they want to change the terminal layout to the same as every other airport that constantly has no room to build expansions of terminals. Mind you DFW was built with space from the beginning but the "finger" design does have many pitfalls.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 Apr 2019 10:31

They're still talking 30-35 gates. So, I assume any 'fingers' won't be very long. The comments about not needing so much parking are quite interesting. This is the first I have heard an airport mention such a thing (Blasphemy! - lol). Somebody should tell Love Field that... haha.
If anything, I really, really, really, hope they simplify the vehicular access (particularly for pick-up/drop-off). The dizzying loop after loop of existing terminals is grossly inefficient, and unnecessary.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Apr 2019 11:26

I think it's great building a terminal for thru-traffic, should be plenty of efficiencies for customers and service providers. This could also make help with the over-night parking situation for North Texas passengers, maybe easier to schedule the same terminal for departing and returning flights.

I also like the willingness to adapt build out that could help evolve the airport's global portal aspirations to operate a dual hub.

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 17 Apr 2019 11:53

From a post on Airliner.net

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Apr 2019 12:32

OMG

Would that increase capacity by 50%? Locals' parking access still excellent, baggage efficiency maybe maybe not, more efficient banking of connecting flights....

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 17 Apr 2019 13:46

A terminal without parking would be the ultimate "screw you" to local passengers. What is currently the best major airport in the world for O&D passengers would lose its competitive advantage. Riding a bus between terminals is just so much fun.

Then again, knowing how AA treats its passengers these days I'd say this has close to a 100% chance of happening.

Just another reason to keep flying Spirit and Southwest.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Apr 2019 14:23

Hannibal Lecter wrote:A terminal without parking would be the ultimate "screw you" to local passengers. What is currently the best major airport in the world for O&D passengers would lose its competitive advantage. Riding a bus between terminals is just so much fun.

Honestly, with the new Dart station up and the cotton belt line approved, Uber, Lyft and taxi drop-offf zones ... There's so many alternatives now at DFW... I don't think local travelers will stop using DFW over parkin...also I wouldn't be surprised if AA moves connecting flights to certain terminals where there isn't parking knowing that parking is irrelevant for these connecting customers. I could see this making sense especially if most of the people going through DFW are making connecting flights...

Personally, I'll take an another terminal over parking any day. More flights through DFW is what will keep DFW relevant... not parkin'.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 17 Apr 2019 21:32

What is a "connecting flight"? You're never going to have a flight that's just connecting passengers. AA isn't going to start selling tickets marked "VOID IF YOU LIVE IN DALLAS". :-)

(For the record, I got an free parking pass for Christmas so personally I don't have a dog in this fight.)

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 17 Apr 2019 21:37

Interesting that a Chicago paper is writing about this:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Apr 2019 13:45

Hannibal Lecter wrote:A terminal without parking would be the ultimate "screw you" to local passengers. What is currently the best major airport in the world for O&D passengers would lose its competitive advantage. Riding a bus between terminals is just so much fun.

Then again, knowing how AA treats its passengers these days I'd say this has close to a 100% chance of happening.

Just another reason to keep flying Spirit and Southwest.

Yeah... I can't imagine this going without parking. Less parking? Sure...
The only alternative I see is if they were to build an automated terminal to terminal system OUTSIDE of security. Being where we are with automation now... there isn't much to 'build' anymore... They can just buy a bunch of autonomous pods that use the existing street infrastructure. Bye-bye buses.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 18 Apr 2019 14:53

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Honestly, with the new Dart station up and the cotton belt line approved, Uber, Lyft and taxi drop-offf zones ... There's so many alternatives now at DFW... I don't think local travelers will stop using DFW over parkin...also I wouldn't be surprised if AA moves connecting flights to certain terminals where there isn't parking knowing that parking is irrelevant for these connecting customers. I could see this making sense especially if most of the people going through DFW are making connecting flights...

Personally, I'll take an another terminal over parking any day. More flights through DFW is what will keep DFW relevant... not parkin'.

Now if only DART could get people to actually ride the train to DFW. I have done it dozens of times at different times of the day, and I am usually one of about 10 or so passengers. It is usually me, a couple others, and then the homeless people using it as a place to sleep, as they know they won’t be disturbed by other passengers or the non-existent DART police or ticket checkers. It should be a great asset, but the vast majority of people I talk to in Dallas aren’t even aware that the train goes to DFW, or are scared to ride it. Another missed opportunity by our wonderful DART transportation folks.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 19 Apr 2019 16:30

Hannibal Lecter wrote:What is a "connecting flight"? You're never going to have a flight that's just connecting passengers. AA isn't going to start selling tickets marked "VOID IF YOU LIVE IN DALLAS". :-)

(For the record, I got an free parking pass for Christmas so personally I don't have a dog in this fight.)

While no flight is going to make money if it doesn't have at least some passengers either starting or finishing their trips at the hub, that doesn't mean optimizing a terminal to better handle connecting passengers is a bad thing or a "screw you" to local passengers. If you're flying AA, there's little value in parking at your departure terminal as departure gates are always changing and you're unlikely to arrive back at the same terminal you departed from. Since AA has more connecting passengers at DFW than Delta or United, their terminals don't require as much parking per enplanement (Plus anyone not flying AA out of DFW can be assured that they'll arrive back at the same terminal, and may be more inclined to park rather than uber/lyft/train to the airport).

The idea that every local AA passenger drives to DFW, parks in a terminal garage across from their gate 30 minutes to departure, and never misses their flight because they got held up in security or had a gate change is silly. It's not 1975 anymore - the "drive to your gate" model has been debunked, and DFW has thrived in spite of that thanks to the metroplex economy, AA's commitment to the area, and mitigating factors like Skylink and TNCs changing how passengers get to and around the airport.

f4shionablecha0s

Postby f4shionablecha0s » 20 Apr 2019 13:48

longhorn wrote:Image

From a post on Airliner.net

This is just something some random teenager on the internet came up with. It isn’t anything the airport is proposing.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 09 May 2019 13:56

American Airlines is adding another handful of new destinations for DFW Airport:

Hub Destination City Aircraft Flights begin Frequency Season
DFW Acapulco, Mexico (ACA) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer
DFW Huatulco, Mexico (HUX) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer
DFW St. Thomas, USVI (STT) 757 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round
DFW St. George, Utah (SGU) CRJ200 Sept. 26 Daily Year-round

Source: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 May 2019 12:32

American Airlines, DFW Airport strike deal to build new $3 billion terminal

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/dfw ... rce=pushly

Dallas Fort Worth International Airport and chief tenant American Airlines have agreed to build a sixth passenger terminal, the first such expansion since 2005.

Terminal F will cost about $3 billion and could open by 2025, officials said on Monday. DFW also agreed to spend about $500 million to update Terminal C, which opened with the airport in 1974 and is the only original terminal that has not been renovated.

The improvements and investments, contemplated for several years, double down on the region's commitment to some of the most important infrastructure in the state. DFW Airport and the Dallas-Fort Worth economy have grown side by side for decades, and one’s success would be almost unimaginable without the other's.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 May 2019 14:48

I wonder how long till we see some renderings. I imagine it would take at least a year or two to flush out design concepts for public consumption. Someone somewhere is drawing up concepts on a napkin.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 21 May 2019 14:36

From Page 1 and 21 months ago. Called it, and nailed the cost to the dollar. $3 Billion :-) Just saying!

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
longhorn wrote:
flyswatter wrote:I think AA is looking for some deal with DFW for Terminal F and/or Terminal C.

The airport just spent over a billion dollars renovating A, B, and E. The logistics required to bulldoze all 5 terminals to build one GIANT terminal that has the same amount or more gates (DFW has 165 currently, PHX has 116) would be insane and in my opinion would seriously hurt AA since it's their largest hub.

Per the post on Anet, think central terminal like PHX or IAH with long linear concourses on either side. Think Delta's DTW McNamara terminal. That almost one mile concourse has like 64 gates. So two of those gets you 128 gates right there. Again, the median of International Parkway is more than wide enough to fit a terminal like PHX or IAH in it, and AA gets out of having to have man power in four different terminals.

Build it on Terminal F spot and south. Move the crossing taxis over the Parkway further south, way south down where the end of runway taxiway is. DFW is in South flow 90% of the year and it would make more efficient for aircraft ops.

Alot of this is speculation, we will see what AA and DFW comes up with.

Interesting speculation all around, but it HAS to be the remotest of possibilities that they don't go with the standard horseshoe terminal, virtually a carbon copy of D. Not only is the airport grand design built around a Terminal F (and ultimately 10 total horseshoes - 2 north and 2 south of existing) but the people mover is already 100% built out in anticipation of a horseshoe Terminal F.

You'd have to be willing to piss away tens of billions of dollars, maybe they find tons of benefactors that wipe their behinds with Ben Franklins, otherwise there can't be any chance in you-know-where that the Airport is going to bulldoze basically billions in infrastructure (didn't even mention International Parkway) and spend billions more to redesign the original grand design for something "more modern." New Taxiway, new People Mover, the entire airport is built around the original grand design.

Like it or not, DFW is what it is. 11 figures worth of sunk costs and all. I think it was genius but apparently some people like the shiny new objects that have been built since. I guess if you have a few ten billion lying around....

Alex Rodriguez wrote:I think its a lot of bluster from AA trying to get DFW to foot more of the bill for F. F is going to cost 3 billion alone, and thats with the people mover already finished, sitting there waiting for a terminal to service.

Teardown/rebuild of terminals, tram, roads, taxiways will probably cost more than 1/2 of the entire net valuation of American Airlines Group. 20 Billion on the low end. Aint nobody got that kind of money.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 May 2019 15:03

Why would it cost $3 Billion to build a 24-gate terminal?

By comparison, New Orleans is finishing their new airport terminal with 35 gates for just over $1 Billion.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 21 May 2019 15:45

Tucy wrote:Why would it cost $3 Billion to build a 24-gate terminal?

By comparison, New Orleans is finishing their new airport terminal with 35 gates for just over $1 Billion.

A fair questions, and I'm also surprised at how small this terminal will be. Wasn't the entire rebuilding of Love Field on $519 million?? And that included 20 gates.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 21 May 2019 16:15

D cost $1.2 Billion 15 years ago. Its probably the scale of the thing, D is massive and F will be equally as massive. 24 gates is surprisingly low, maybe its going to be primarily built out to handle 789, 773, big widebodies?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 May 2019 16:57

Alex Rodriguez wrote:D cost $1.2 Billion 15 years ago. Its probably the scale of the thing, D is massive and F will be equally as massive. 24 gates is surprisingly low, maybe its going to be primarily built out to handle 789, 773, big widebodies?

Probably, but doesn't this project also include a remodel of Terminal C?