DFW Airport

TNWE

Re: DFW Airport

Postby TNWE » 05 Jun 2020 14:17

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
flyswatter wrote:ATL is a much better run airport and airspace than here as well.

You've apparently never been through TSA at ATL. :-)

As for the airspace, ATL has a nice little monopoly. They don't have another major airport less than 5 miles away to complicate things.

Pro-tip for ATL - if you're getting dropped off and not checking bags, go to the International terminal and clear security there. If you're flying AA/United/Southwest and checking bags, you're SOL, tho.

And yeah, ATL has the benefit of 5 East/West runways with no conflicting approach paths for miles. Watch a flight tracking site (once flight volumes pick back up) and you'll see the giant orderly queues of arriving aircraft being funneled in, whereas the DAL/DFW airspace has all sorts of wild arrival/departure procedures to keep traffic from the two airports from conflicting. Add in Dallas' summer thunderstorms and the fact that DFW has N/S and crosswind runways, it's not uncommon to find your flight turn into a tilt-a-whirl as ATC keeps shifting things around.

As I recall, the FAA tried to prevent that issue back in the 70s, but some "Dallas > Regionalism" voices got their way ;) :lol:

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Jun 2020 16:52

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
flyswatter wrote:ATL is a much better run airport and airspace than here as well.

As for the airspace, ATL has a nice little monopoly. They don't have another major airport less than 5 miles away to complicate things.

Good point, except for the exaggeration. Less than 5 miles?

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 05 Jun 2020 17:58

Tucy wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Good point, except for the exaggeration. Less than 5 miles?

Its about 9 miles as the crow flies from the northern edge of DAL's runways to the easternmost edge of DFW's - not the most outrageous exaggeration considering ATC spacing requirements

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Jun 2020 18:18

I got the number from https://disween.com/dallas-tx-us/DAL#:~ ... 20a%20line.

Your starting point United States, Dallas is located at (32.7825, -96.8207).
Your ending point United States, Dallas Love Field (DAL) is located at (32.8470993041992, -96.8517990112305)
Total distance from Dallas to Dallas Love Field (DAL) is 7.75 kms. 7.75 kms equals to 4.81 miles and 4.18 nautical miles.

I thought it sounded low, but not crazily so. 9-10 miles sounds much more reasonable.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 06 Jun 2020 10:45

Source: ACI

ATL also has a much larger amount of traffic, although right now it is skewed since DL has been more aggressive in drawing their operation down than AA. I can't find DAL's data but it wouldn't surprise me if ATL was higher than both combined.

I do agree though that they have much more airspace to play with and can more easily pick their way around weather. Runways are built to climatology, and ATL generally has E/W winds while DFW usually has N/S (more usually NW/SE). They also have thunderstorms throughout the summer, much more than we do.

I'm a Met for an airline, I see how both react to irregular ops regularly. ZTL/ATL is miles ahead. ZFW/DFW is sad sometimes. They very aggressively shut down routes.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 13 Jul 2020 13:21

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 31 Jul 2020 10:57

"The airport has postponed the planned 24-gate facility “indefinitely” because of a drop in flyer numbers"

Not unexpected, but still disappointing.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dfw-termi ... ronavirus/

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 03 Aug 2020 10:36

Zmitz wrote:"The airport has postponed the planned 24-gate facility “indefinitely” because of a drop in flyer numbers"

Wasn't there a similar delay of Terminal D amid 9/11-related cuts to flying? I seem to remember Terminal D only moving ahead once AA agreed to lease additional gates beyond what they needed for their International service at the time. It was originally designed for and intended to be 100% International arrivals/departures, but up until the merger it was pretty regularly used for handling all-domestic arrival/departures (i.e. planes that came in from a domestic destination and left for a domestic one). Once the merger closed and AA started getting new widebodies, all the new international flights suddenly meant a shortage of widebody-capable gates in D and started running some international departures out of A

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Aug 2020 10:54

TNWE wrote:
Zmitz wrote:"The airport has postponed the planned 24-gate facility “indefinitely” because of a drop in flyer numbers"

Wasn't there a similar delay of Terminal D amid 9/11-related cuts to flying? I seem to remember Terminal D only moving ahead once AA agreed to lease additional gates beyond what they needed for their International service at the time. It was originally designed for and intended to be 100% International arrivals/departures, but up until the merger it was pretty regularly used for handling all-domestic arrival/departures (i.e. planes that came in from a domestic destination and left for a domestic one). Once the merger closed and AA started getting new widebodies, all the new international flights suddenly meant a shortage of widebody-capable gates in D and started running some international departures out of A

Regardless of any capacity constraints in Terminal D, American has always and no doubt will always have international departures from all terminals. There are good operational reasons to do so and no reason not to. For example, today's schedule shows international departures from Terminals A, B, C & D.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Aug 2020 10:58

^ The implosion of the old Hyatt -- where Terminal D now sits -- was originally scheduled for September 16, 2001. It was delayed until October 7th for obvious reasons. There were also some delays due to design changes due to 9/11.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 04 Aug 2020 15:57

Tucy wrote:Regardless of any capacity constraints in Terminal D, American has always and no doubt will always have international departures from all terminals. There are good operational reasons to do so and no reason not to. For example, today's schedule shows international departures from Terminals A, B, C & D.

Sure, in the COVID era with fewer planes flying and far fewer international routes, flights will go from wherever there's an open gate (some airlines are leaving planes parked at gates all day and only operating the bare minimum of flights required to keep that particular aircraft "active"- if they sit for too long they need to go through a process for long-term storage that's expensive and time consuming).

In regular operations, though, the vast majority of international flights leave out of D so AA can staff those gates with language-qualified staff, their premium customers can access the Flagship lounge, and the gate areas have the space to accommodate long lines for passport checks and boarding. Up until 5-ish years ago there really weren't many AA international destinations from DFW besides LHR, NRT, CDG, FRA, and some Mexico/South America routes that all left in the afternoon, so the rest of the day the ~2/3s of gates in D that AA controls were handling domestic turns.

Point is, "indefinitely" doesn't mean "never"- The DFW airport board just wasn't going to commit to a specific timeframe for starting on Terminal F until they have a better idea of when demand will come back.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 04 Aug 2020 16:46

TNWE wrote:
Tucy wrote:Regardless of any capacity constraints in Terminal D, American has always and no doubt will always have international departures from all terminals. There are good operational reasons to do so and no reason not to. For example, today's schedule shows international departures from Terminals A, B, C & D.

Sure, in the COVID era with fewer planes flying and far fewer international routes, flights will go from wherever there's an open gate (some airlines are leaving planes parked at gates all day and only operating the bare minimum of flights required to keep that particular aircraft "active"- if they sit for too long they need to go through a process for long-term storage that's expensive and time consuming).

In regular operations, though, the vast majority of international flights leave out of D so AA can staff those gates with language-qualified staff, their premium customers can access the Flagship lounge, and the gate areas have the space to accommodate long lines for passport checks and boarding. Up until 5-ish years ago there really weren't many AA international destinations from DFW besides LHR, NRT, CDG, FRA, and some Mexico/South America routes that all left in the afternoon, so the rest of the day the ~2/3s of gates in D that AA controls were handling domestic turns.

Point is, "indefinitely" doesn't mean "never"- The DFW airport board just wasn't going to commit to a specific timeframe for starting on Terminal F until they have a better idea of when demand will come back.

Your reasons for operating international departures from Terminal D apply just as strongly (and probably more so) in the COVID era. Nothing about the reduction in flights pushes them to move international flights away from Terminal D. As has always been the case, many international flights depart from the gate to which the aircraft arrived from a previous domestic segment. No reason to move to Terminal D.

Point is, international departures happen from all terminals on a regular basis. Always have and always will.

FWIW, I didn't make any hint of a suggestion that Terminal F was never going to happen. Of course, it will depend on the expected return of demand.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Sep 2020 14:49

DFW Airport to vote on demolishing, rebuilding Terminal C gates

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... nal-c.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Sep 2020 06:21

https://www.newsbreak.com/california/lo ... ay-to-asia
American Airlines moving to make DFW Airport its gateway to Asia

Fort Worth-based American Airlines is moving much of its Asian traffic from the Southern California international flying hub to DFW, a move that could open more opportunities for North Texas to access business and leisure destinations but disrupt how much of the country gets across the Pacific.

American is making the move after decades of considering LAX its trans-Pacific hub to fly to destinations such as Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul and even Auckland, New Zealand. But the landscape is changing with the growth of traffic across the Pacific.

“Dallas certainly doesn’t have the best geography for an Asian hub,” said Brian Znotins, American’s vice president of network and schedule planning. “But it does have some advantages in connecting people in the Southeast [United States] to Asia.”
Last year, it fulfilled a plan to put 900 flights a day out of DFW, its fortress hub that can connect to nearly any other location it serves in the country. About 26% of all of American’s traffic goes through DFW, almost twice as much as what goes through its next biggest hub in Charlotte, N.C.

That makes DFW an attractive launching point for Asia because it would be a single stop for most of American’s U.S. travelers, said Nico Mirman, a Dallas-based aviation consultant with Ailevon Pacific. DFW is also a convenient connecting point for travelers from Latin America, Mirman said.

“What American is probably thinking is to capitalize on the huge amount of connectivity that they get here,” Mirman said. “That’s something Los Angeles cannot offer for them.”

DFW has room to grow, too. The airport property is roughly the size of the island of Manhattan. There are plans for a new $3 billion terminal F at DFW that would give 24 more gates, mostly to American Airlines. While the pandemic put those plans on hold, airport officials expect the project to only be pushed back, not scrapped.
However, the designation of trans-Pacific hub might not mean that DFW gets as much traffic across the ocean as LAX did. American also formed a partnership with Alaska Airlines in February and, as part of that, it created a new route from Seattle to Bangalore, India. That gives American another West Coast launching point.
“In a lot of ways, this is more about reducing L.A. than boosting DFW,” Znotins said. “Every Asian carrier feels the need to serve L.A. and that creates overcapacity. Even going into the pandemic, we were losing money on those L.A. flights.”
“LAX is becoming very expensive for airlines to operate from and it’s extremely competitive, and that tends to lower airfares,” said Henry Harteveldt, a travel consultant based in San Francisco. “It’s a matter of American focusing on where it can have the best return on a very expensive asset.”
“I would guess that it’s going to be several years before there are new markets for American or other carriers,” Donohue said.

But American’s choice of DFW as its trans-Pacific hub means North Texas travelers will have direct access to Asia, he said.

“From a long-term perspective, it gives us the strength of the service,” he said. " We are going to have service to the key major Asian business destinations."

———

©2020 The Dallas Morning News

Visit The Dallas Morning News at http://www.dallasnews.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

LAX us loaded up with airlines, competition that makes airfare lower... so AA is moving some operation to DFW to make more money.

Watch airfare at DFW begin to creep back up, rising above the industry average like it was before Love Field was mostly deregulated.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 14 Sep 2020 14:08

I would say on international routes for sure. Some routes with competition between other airlines or SWA then maybe less so. I have found more often than not SWA and AAL are the same prices on routes from Dallas to most destinations. I do mileage runs (well used to) and often I start my trip from IAH or AUS for international routes when flying OneWorld. It's still often way cheaper to add position flights than start in Dallas.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 15 Sep 2020 15:52

tamtagon wrote:LAX us loaded up with airlines, competition that makes airfare lower... so AA is moving some operation to DFW to make more money.

Watch airfare at DFW begin to creep back up, rising above the industry average like it was before Love Field was mostly deregulated.

That's not how airfare pricing works. Pre-pandemic, AA served most Asia routes from DFW and LAX, and in general the LAX flights were lower-yielding because all of the LAX-Asia nonstop routes had intense competition. Even if you chose to fly DFW-LAX-Asia, the fare wouldn't be cheaper than the DFW-Asia nonstop because Airlines don't sell plane tickets as the combination of point to point fares for each segment (unless you bought two separate tickets, in which case you'd be SOL in the event a delay causes you to miss the connecting flight).

What's happening is that AA has recognized that going forward, they'll have less demand for flights to Asia, so if they're gonna fly to a given city 1x a day, they'd rather do it from DFW, where they have more connecting flights than LAX. All things being equal, the airfares that Angelinos pay for flights to Asia will probably increase, but the airfares in DFW will largely stay the same (or change for factors unrelated to AA's announcement).

saxman

Postby saxman » 08 Oct 2020 21:43

Those high C gates were an add on to terminal C sometime in the 80's or 90's, I believe. You go down a ramp and the space is whofully inadequate. I hope they work on the entirety of C one of these days. It's the only terminal left with the old floor tile that AA installed in the early 90's.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 26 Dec 2020 20:56

I was poking around and found these designs for the Terminal F "Phase 1" project which is under construction now. It's basically an extension of Terminal D that will connect to the future Terminal F which is now on-hold due to COVID uncertainty.

The designs look impressive. I'm hoping this is accurate. I like the addition of native looking greenery and destination-specific signage at the gates. The video boards with landscapes showing Texas scenery will hopefully also include flyovers of Dallas and FW skylines and attractions so we can advertise our area even if someone is merely connecting at DFW. The addition of locally based food purveyors like Eatzi's, Luck, and Cake Bar is great. I'm hoping that the main Terminal F continues this design language and adds even more of a Dallas/Fort Worth/North Texas flair. All future terminal redesigns and Skylink stations shoukd incorporate this design language.

https://www.bluestonemanagement.com/dfw-terminal-f/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 05 Mar 2021 12:41

"DFW Airport plans to renovate one of its original terminals while new sixth terminal is on hold" - Dallas Morning News
The airport board of directors approved a $75 million design management project Thursday that will kickstart upgrades on Terminal C, the 28-gate terminal that is one of the key hubs for American Airlines’ operations at the airport.

Construction on the project likely won’t start for at least a year, airport CEO Sean Donohue said Thursday.

Expected, but I'm hoping Terminal F isn't on hold too much longer. It would be a massive gamble to start construction any time soon, but if air travel bounces back strong then they'll have wanted it started sooner rather than later. Before the pandemic, the optimistic timeline suggested that construction could have started in 2020 with a finish date around 2025. The way things are now we might not see terminal F until 2030 I'm guessing.

Here's to hoping the Terminal C renovations include redoing the parking structure which continues to be the most stressful to navigate.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Mar 2021 13:50

THRILLHO wrote:"DFW Airport plans to renovate one of its original terminals while new sixth terminal is on hold" - Dallas Morning News
The airport board of directors approved a $75 million design management project Thursday that will kickstart upgrades on Terminal C, the 28-gate terminal that is one of the key hubs for American Airlines’ operations at the airport.

Construction on the project likely won’t start for at least a year, airport CEO Sean Donohue said Thursday.

Expected, but I'm hoping Terminal F isn't on hold too much longer. It would be a massive gamble to start construction any time soon, but if air travel bounces back strong then they'll have wanted it started sooner rather than later. Before the pandemic, the optimistic timeline suggested that construction could have started in 2020 with a finish date around 2025. The way things are now we might not see terminal F until 2030 I'm guessing.

Here's to hoping the Terminal C renovations include redoing the parking structure which continues to be the most stressful to navigate.

$75 million sounds like a band aid, and a cheap one at that. I think it's actually a good sign for Terminal F's chances. It sounds like C is still going to be torn down at some point in the near future, or they would spend hundreds of millions bringing it up to the standards of the TRIP remodeled terminals.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Mar 2021 14:05

Matt777 wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:"DFW Airport plans to renovate one of its original terminals while new sixth terminal is on hold" - Dallas Morning News

$75 million sounds like a band aid, and a cheap one at that. I think it's actually a good sign for Terminal F's chances. It sounds like C is still going to be torn down at some point in the near future, or they would spend hundreds of millions bringing it up to the standards of the TRIP remodeled terminals.

The $75 million is just the beginning. That is far from the total cost. This contract is just for design/design management.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Mar 2021 23:20

Tucy wrote:
Matt777 wrote:

The $75 million is just the beginning. That is far from the total cost. This contract is just for design/design management.

Bummer. C is awful. The TRIP renovated terminals are acceptable, but still not ideal and in 10 years they will feel even more outdated. Hopefully whatever they plan for C is more transformative.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 12 Jun 2021 12:52

Here is an interesting contractor video about the modular construction technique for the terminal C rebuild.

https://fb.watch/64H3QmbGXa/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Jun 2021 06:48

DFW Airport’s new Terminal D expansion is a glimpse at the terminal of the future

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... he-future/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Jun 2021 21:57

Turkish Airlines adding Dallas (DFW) to Istanbul flights.

No details have been released yet such as start date, schedule, plane type.

Welcome to DFW, Turkish Airlines!!!

https://investor.turkishairlines.com/en ... nouncement

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 26 Jun 2021 14:48

This is great, Turkish airlines has great connections out of their Istanbul hub so this will be almost like getting a new ME3 airline in in terms of route connections to EMEA

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 28 Jun 2021 12:16

I'd imagine it will be a 789 or A333 coming here based on distance. They have the largest route network in the world. A lot of new obscure destinations now just one layover away.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 06 Jul 2021 10:46

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Jul 2021 12:54

That link was like the best Rick Roll. In all honestly everyone I know that works for a airline is being asked to work in the airport itself and that's LUV and DFW. They are all overwhelmed plus customers going apesh!t at employees about everything from masks to the delays themselves. So the snake is eating the tail here since customers throwing fits is not helping delays they are in fact causing more of them.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

electricron

Postby electricron » 07 Jul 2021 13:44

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That link was like the best Rick Roll. In all honestly everyone I know that works for a airline is being asked to work in the airport itself and that's LUV and DFW. They are all overwhelmed plus customers going apesh!t at employees about everything from masks to the delays themselves. So the snake is eating the tail here since customers throwing fits is not helping delays they are in fact causing more of them.

While it is not the fault of the employees, the fault lies with the employers.
Ticket sales for most flights are made weeks, if not, months in advance.
Employers should be able to react to meet this influx of passengers in time easily.

If they are not, do not blame their customers or passengers for their failures to provide a decent service. Poor service usually causes most of their customer's reactions, who believe they have paid enough for their tickets to ride to be treated better than cattle at a slaughter house. :(

Constant flight delays and cancellations is not providing great customers experiences in anyone's performance matrixes. Stop blaming your customers for your inability to satisfy their expectations.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 07 Jul 2021 14:10

It's barely the employer's fault either though. The massive majority of cancellations and delays have been a result of the wild weather we've had. When planes can't get into DFW, there are no planes to go out. When planes can't go out, there are no planes to come back. It creates a domino effect on the entire route network, and it's hard to overstate how much of an impact June's unusual weather had on air travel. Down on the ground for us it was just a few weeks of constant rain, but it created an absolute mess in the air.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 03 Aug 2021 17:48

"DFW Airport has a plan to add 9 new gates by 2026" - Dallas Morning News
On Thursday DFW’s governing board is poised to vote on $139 million to fund the projects that would also include renovations to the aging Terminal C structure that hasn’t seen a major refurbishment since the 1970s.

But along with the renovation, DFW is hoping to add new “piers” extending out from terminals A and C, essentially giving a new corridor to park planes for passengers to load and unload

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2021/08/03/dfw-airport-has-a-plan-to-add-9-new-gates-by-2026/

Yeah, we're not seeing Terminal F anytime soon.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 04 Aug 2021 08:39

I'm glad they are making Terminal C more in line with the rest of the airport. As far as terminal F I'd imagine they will do more ground/underground work in preparation for it. With the apron already mostly done you can see how he shape might work out. I also, know they've been expanding the capacity of their utility lines, plants, etc. in preparation for more gates and terminals.

DFW is about to look a lot different. New terminals (sort of), new taxiways, new facilities, new routes. All great news for the metroplex!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Aug 2021 10:45

Matt777 wrote:Turkish Airlines adding Dallas (DFW) to Istanbul flights.

No details have been released yet such as start date, schedule, plane type.

Welcome to DFW, Turkish Airlines!!!

https://investor.turkishairlines.com/en ... nouncement

Turkish Airlines has loaded the flights and they are now available for booking. Service starts on September 24th, 2021, and will be 4x per week on Boeing 787 equipment.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Aug 2021 12:40

MC_ScattCat wrote:DFW is about to look a lot different. New terminals (sort of), new taxiways, new facilities, new routes. All great news for the metroplex!

That's for sure! The terminal extension in the article rendering looks much more substantial than the little pier currently at Terminal B. Add enough of these big piers to the terminals and the original semicircle layout will gradually disappear.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Aug 2021 15:45

Is there any reason this variation cant happen to all the existing gates? Keeps the convenience for local travel, but increase 'productivity' of the terminals.... AA can build the connecting flights without a new $4 billion, terminal.... save the $4 billion terminal for the eventual SkyTeam hub... :D
45SVP6YENFCVLPP2ZENB7YGCD4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Aug 2021 15:56

I'm curious if the Terminal A extension will look similar to that one.
The article says they're adding 9 new gates, but the Terminal C extension as designed has 9 new gates on its own.

The planned capacity for Terminal F was going to be 25 gates, so we're looking at half of that already being created with these C and A piers.

Edit: errr, well I just realized the extension will probably be replacing a few gates that were already in that spot by the skylink. So that rendering probably has about 4 or 5 total 'new' gates.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 05 Aug 2021 08:34

THRILLHO wrote:I'm curious if the Terminal A extension will look similar to that one.

If you look in the back of the picture you can sorta make out the terminal A pier. Looks like it will be similar to the one at terminal C. The terminal B "stinger" is different due to the regional jets vs mainline jets. The reason the new piers are located where they are is due to the widebody gates at A & C.

I'd imagine an F terminal start within the next 5-10 years.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Aug 2021 09:48

MC_ScattCat wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:I'm curious if the Terminal A extension will look similar to that one.

If you look in the back of the picture you can sorta make out the terminal A pier. Looks like it will be similar to the one at terminal C. The terminal B "stinger" is different due to the regional jets vs mainline jets. The reason the new piers are located where they are is due to the widebody gates at A & C.

Does that mean they would not be able to add a second pier to each of the terminals?

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 05 Aug 2021 12:34

Tucy wrote: Does that mean they would not be able to add a second pier to each of the terminals?

They can, but AA uses a few gates in terminal A (I think it's A24 and or 26) as widebody gates when needed and in terminal C they use one or two as well for widebodies. In general AA will use D for widebody planes then A then C. I would think the overall strategy at this moment would be build the new piers at A & C then build terminal F and eventually come back to add piers to the other terminals.

Triggerman

Postby Triggerman » 05 Aug 2021 22:19

Turkish Airlines will start IST-DFW 4x weekly next month on Sept. 24 using the 787-9 with 300 seats.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... september/

https://onemileatatime.com/news/turkish ... r-flights/

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 06 Aug 2021 18:06

tamtagon wrote:Is there any reason this variation cant happen to all the existing gates? Keeps the convenience for local travel, but increase 'productivity' of the terminals.... AA can build the connecting flights without a new $4 billion, terminal.... save the $4 billion terminal for the eventual SkyTeam hub... :D 45SVP6YENFCVLPP2ZENB7YGCD4.jpg

One of the complaints I heard from AA is that operations are too spread out, not efficient use of employees with in essence four check in counters in four different terminals. Concentrating flights to fewer terminals via stingers will make AA happy.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2021 09:23

Well if the airport wasn't run by one airline and was instead a global epicenter for multiple airlines it would be fine but hey the airlines have changed a lot since DFW was designed. Just imagine if they had built the 8-10? half circle terminals they planned initially in the previous renderings.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Aug 2021 13:15

cowboyeagle05 wrote: Just imagine if they had built the 8-10? half circle terminals they planned initially in the previous renderings.

Those early images still amaze me. I wonder how many airlines the designer thought there were at that time. At least enough space was found and planned, and it didn't end up tiny and crammed like Newark or LaGuardia.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 16 Sep 2021 09:51

"Airport has amazing new way to build passenger gates"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/dall ... index.html

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 16 Sep 2021 13:09

Neat.
Most significantly, the new gates' walls are made of what is called "dynamic glass," which Donohue said will make temperatures in gate areas 15 to 20 degrees cooler in the summer.

I'm curious if there's anything more to this than just glass that changes tint according to light levels. Regardless, it's needed. The C waiting areas can get real toasty in the summer.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 17 Sep 2021 14:34

Here is a simulation video of the construction and movement of the Terminal C modules.

https://fb.watch/84FoVNN-oS/

And here is the contractor's video.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigGreenW/v ... 866154621/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Oct 2021 10:35

If you drive through or park at DFW, it could cost you...

Plano couple hit with $2,000 DFW Airport parking bill

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... b04cdeda0d

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 06 Oct 2021 12:07

Yikes.
Unrelated, but I once saw a car ahead of me take advantage of a broken gate arm in a ticket lane to enter the airport, and I can only imagine the headache it caused them trying to get back out without a ticket or proof-of-entry... They did not think their plan through to the end. :lol:

But anyways, I recently picked someone up from Terminal C and saw all the modular pieces they're installing for the extension. I'm not a huge fan of the grey exteriors the airport has been using. They're okay I guess, but they look drab and remind me too much of those slick lego pieces used for lego surfaces (gives it a cheap feel).

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 05 Nov 2021 12:45

Iberia to begin service to Madrid starting next summer. Glad to see more OneWorld carriers here.