Highway lighting outages in construction zones

itsjrd1964

Highway lighting outages in construction zones

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 Dec 2018 23:59

Freeway Lights May be Dark for Years in Dallas Construction Zones

Median lighting along I-35E has been cut by TxDOT in construction spots. The agency says the lights there may not return for a couple of years.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/ ... 58601.html

muncien

Re: Highway lighting outages in construction zones

Postby muncien » 26 Dec 2018 10:57

FWIW... The DFW Connector project, which completed four and half years ago and links 121, 114, and 635 North of DFW airport, has NEVER had working lights. Perhaps the fact that they couldn't go with their standard high-mast lighting due to airport proximity made the lighting more 'complex' than it otherwise would have been. But lights are lights, and for TxDOT to 'finish' the project without working lights (or ensuring the contractor finished the job), is just wrong.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Dec 2018 03:07

Amazing that those lights still aren't back on. It's dark as pitch in the unlit areas at night most nights.

electricron

Postby electricron » 28 Dec 2018 22:37

muncien wrote:FWIW... The DFW Connector project, which completed four and half years ago and links 121, 114, and 635 North of DFW airport, has NEVER had working lights. Perhaps the fact that they couldn't go with their standard high-mast lighting due to airport proximity made the lighting more 'complex' than it otherwise would have been. But lights are lights, and for TxDOT to 'finish' the project without working lights (or ensuring the contractor finished the job), is just wrong.

You might find the following link very interesting....
http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/hwi/hwi.pdf

To summarize that long pdf, TXDOT rarely funds highway lighting, it relies upon city and county governments to fund the construction and maintenance of them.

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 Dec 2018 11:45

electricron wrote:
muncien wrote:FWIW... The DFW Connector project, which completed four and half years ago and links 121, 114, and 635 North of DFW airport, has NEVER had working lights. Perhaps the fact that they couldn't go with their standard high-mast lighting due to airport proximity made the lighting more 'complex' than it otherwise would have been. But lights are lights, and for TxDOT to 'finish' the project without working lights (or ensuring the contractor finished the job), is just wrong.

You might find the following link very interesting....
http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/hwi/hwi.pdf

To summarize that long pdf, TXDOT rarely funds highway lighting, it relies upon city and county governments to fund the construction and maintenance of them.

Great information... Thanks!

So, it appears that most of the faulty lighting falls within the City of Grapevine. So, either they haven't maintained the lighting, or there is some other 'special' agreement that puts the responsibility elsewhere. The fact that the lights have NEVER worked is the biggest concern to me. These agreements are made way before the project finishes, and surely the lights should have worked when the construction was complete... regardless of any faults afterwards. Too weird...

I did notice that there are about six high-mast lights in this project... only one of them works. Pretty much all the standard lighting has been off for as long as I can remember.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Jan 2019 18:47

High mast lighting needs to be put on 635 in Irving/Coppell. Loop 12 North of I-30 in Irving and on I-20 in parts of Tarrant County.