I-345

quixomniac

Re: I-345

Postby quixomniac » 03 May 2024 23:07

The_Overdog wrote:The number of cars that pass through is almost completely irrelevant though. It's not '180,000 cars passing into downtown from I345' - most are just passing through, and there are other routes they could take. It's a route to jobs up north is not particularly valuable either - if getting people up north is a laudable goal, then they should have built the stupid tollway.

That's why someone in city leadership needs to make this decision - because 'carrying 200,000 cars to points around the city of Dallas' being more vital to the city of Dallas than 'rerouting traffic and opening land near downtown for development' may be true, but no-one has even sort of answered that question.

Actually the number of cars is completely relevant.
That was the point of the video as to whether a highway removal would be successful.
Just because its not valuable to you, doesnt mean it isnt valuable to other people.
Its rather condescending to people in South Dallas, they should just take ANOTHER way up north.
Sure there are plenty of ways, but they will all take longer, and add to a commute, and could overwhelm those routes too.
making their lives more difficult and making living in south dallas less attractive.

Which is something that should be of mind for the City of Dallas, as it is trying to grow southward.
One of the key sells is the commute time to downtown, uptown. medical district, etc is much shorter than say. Far north dallas.

The_Overdog

Re: I-345

Postby The_Overdog » 06 May 2024 09:13

Actually the number of cars is completely relevant.
That was the point of the video as to whether a highway removal would be successful.
Just because its not valuable to you, doesnt mean it isnt valuable to other people.
Its rather condescending to people in South Dallas, they should just take ANOTHER way up north.
Sure there are plenty of ways, but they will all take longer, and add to a commute, and could overwhelm those routes too.
making their lives more difficult and making living in south dallas less attractive.

Yeah, I'm never going to agree that easing the commute for people in south Dallas to get to north Dallas is going to make south Dallas a 'more attractive' place to live. The numbers speak for themselves. You made it easy for people in the north of downtown to get to the north - that's where the population is growing. It hasn't worked the past 50 years - it's not going to work the next 50 either.