Lowest Stemmons Project

joshua.dodd

Lowest Stemmons Project

Postby joshua.dodd » 01 May 2017 11:53

The Lowest Stemmons Project is bringing a much needed upgrade to a 3.4 mile portion of 35 in the city of Dallas. With 240,000 cars a day, and infrastructure that is long obsolete, this section of freeway is in desperate need for an upgrade. This section of freeway has not been reconfigured since it was built in the late 1950s.

Here is a photograph of the section of freeway in 1960. Notice how it is comparatively the same today.

Fortunately, that upgrade is on the way:

A video presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXwJ6s ... nnel=TxDOT

More information:
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/sites ... 0paper.pdf

Alex Rodriguez

Re: Lowest Stemmons Project

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 05 May 2017 07:47

On the TxDot Letting Schedule you used to be able to see all of the money allocated to the project but now all I can find between 2014-2018 in the Dallas District for this project is $70 million for this portion of the project.

CCSJ: 0196-03-268

District: DALLAS
Let Date: Jun 2017
Highway: IH 35E
Let Status: Approved
Project ID: NH 1702(354) CSJ: 0196-03-268
Description: CONSTRUCT 0 TO 3/4 COLLECTOR DISTRIBUTOR, RCNST 1/3 LN SB FR
Limits From: IH 30 Fund Cat: 1
Limits To: OAK LAWN AVE
ESTIMATE: $69,370,708
Length: 2.2

https://www.txdot.gov/insdtdot/orgchart ... htm#Dallas

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Jul 2018 16:50

There are improvements that have been started in "Lower Stemmons" from Oak Lawn Avenue to SH 183 as well. It looks like they will be reconfiguring the ramps and also the dangerous SH 183 EB to 35E SB center lane merge.

Does anyone have more details?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jul 2018 12:01

Here is something, looks like a fairly typical freeway widening project that promises to alleviate congestion but probably won't.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-i ... emmons.pdf

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Jul 2018 12:16

Tnexster wrote:Here is something, looks like a fairly typical freeway widening project that promises to alleviate congestion but probably won't.

More highway lanes.... wonderful.... UGH. I'm all for cleaning up 35 and making it more modern and appealing but it's already a huge scar right through our city and riverfront. No need to make the scar larger. Invest in more public transit to take some of those cars off the road.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Jul 2018 13:25

I was probably being too optimistic, but I was really hoping for a little more creativity that might benefit the urban core. I would have loved to see portions of this interstate buried to help better connect the Design District and Victory Park. I realize this is probably an extremely costly endeavor, and, even if you were to bury all of I-35, you'd still have the rail tracks, DNT, and Harry Hines Blvd acting as barriers, but you have to start somewhere. I'd much rather see efforts to hide existing highways in this area, rather than trying to build a ridiculous bridge to connect the Katy Trail to the Trinity Trail.

I figured I was being way too unrealistic in my expectations though. I'm sure decking any of this would be extremely complicated and costly, and, no matter what happens to I-35, the surrounding area will still thrive and boom regardless, so the city doesn't really have much of an incentive to spend extra money trying to beautify the area. A deck park makes sense when it's an up and coming area that needs a bit of help developing, but Victory Park is just about built out, and Design District will get there eventually too without any sort of public projects to help them get there.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 10 Jul 2018 02:10

It would be difficult to do a sinking/below-grade of I-35E, especially this part, with Turtle Creek and other streams crossing it and nearby.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2018 08:46

I hope Reverchon Park and Turtle Creek get a boost out of this highway reconstruction. Reworking the confluence of Harry Hines, Tollway and I-35 should daylight the creek to the Design District, improve traffic flow into the downtown area AND increase the size and appeal of the park -- less expensive than a touted deck park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jul 2018 09:13

Keep in mind this was planned as a bare-bones project because there is sharp disagreement about how to solve the traffic problems on 35. Originally for the past 20 yrs, TxDOT was telling the city there was no way to improve this section of the freeway without building the Trinity River Tollway. They said multiple times any construction on 35 to solve hang-ups would have to have start once the Trinity Tollway was built and operating. The full Pegasus project planned to spend millions on beautification at intersections and landscaping once the Trinity Tollway was in operation. Once TxDOT got the clear indicator that the Trinity Tollway wasn't looking like a winner anymore they looked at how can we make more surgical changes to improve flow without requiring a total rebuild of 35. Here we are with the impossible that the city requested from the start.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2018 09:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote: ...Originally for the past 20 yrs, TxDOT was telling the city there was no way to improve this section of the freeway without building the Trinity River Tollway...

I thought this message was coming from the city's backers of the tollway. TxDOT position being the reconstruction will happen with or without the tollway.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jul 2018 12:14

tamtagon wrote:I hope Reverchon Park and Turtle Creek get a boost out of this highway reconstruction. Reworking the confluence of Harry Hines, Tollway and I-35 should daylight the creek to the Design District, improve traffic flow into the downtown area AND increase the size and appeal of the park -- less expensive than a touted deck park.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to get at. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'deck park', but the highways here should be designed to enhance the greenspace around it.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Jul 2018 19:47

One little known part of this project: The entrance from northbound 35E to the DNT will be moved south of Spur 366 (Woodall Rodgers). There will no longer be direct freeway access from westbound 366 to the DNT -- you'll have to cut through Uptown on Pearl or Griffin.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 11 Jul 2018 03:05

Hannibal Lecter wrote:One little known part of this project: The entrance from northbound 35E to the DNT will be moved south of Spur 366 (Woodall Rodgers). There will no longer be direct freeway access from westbound 366 to the DNT -- you'll have to cut through Uptown on Pearl or Griffin.

I didn't realize that before. That will be interesting to see. No more fighting/weaving traffic from Woodall Rodgers mixing with those going to the Tollway. I guess those coming up from EB/WB I-30 will have some advantage of getting on the Tollway directly, otherwise, it'll be a get-off-at-Oak-Lawn group of folks trying to get on the Tollway that way.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 11 Jul 2018 10:10

Here's a TxDot video of some rush hour flyovers:

https://youtu.be/KtXwJ6s-w8A

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Jul 2018 08:26

tamtagon wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote: ...Originally for the past 20 yrs, TxDOT was telling the city there was no way to improve this section of the freeway without building the Trinity River Tollway...

I thought this message was coming from the city's backers of the tollway. TxDOT position being the reconstruction will happen with or without the tollway.

Yes and no. It depends on who you ask and what stage of the lie the DMN was willing to participate in before they had that awakening and realized Leppert wasn't being honest with what government planning officials were saying.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 12 Jul 2018 11:40

so is this "fix" a temporary stop gap for TxDot or is this the re-do that replaces Project Pegasus altogether?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jul 2018 09:51

My best guess and it is a guess is that is an improvement from TXDOT's point of view and allow them to delay a bigger project once the results of these changes set in.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 19 Jul 2018 12:42

jrd1964 wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:One little known part of this project: The entrance from northbound 35E to the DNT will be moved south of Spur 366 (Woodall Rodgers). There will no longer be direct freeway access from westbound 366 to the DNT -- you'll have to cut through Uptown on Pearl or Griffin.

I didn't realize that before. That will be interesting to see. No more fighting/weaving traffic from Woodall Rodgers mixing with those going to the Tollway. I guess those coming up from EB/WB I-30 will have some advantage of getting on the Tollway directly, otherwise, it'll be a get-off-at-Oak-Lawn group of folks trying to get on the Tollway that way.

Who on earth would be going from WB 366 to the DNT? At any time of day, McKinnon would be the same or faster from any point along 366, and travelers from north or east of the 366/345 interchange would be seriously back-tracking by going to the DNT via 366.

Thumbs up to TxDOT for doing something to eliminate a pointless traffic conflict (which, like so many others, was created by the asinine push to eliminate left exits/entrances in urban freeways and replace them with impossible weaving movements in the right hand lanes)

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 19 Jul 2018 18:51

^ I just checked the travel time from Deep Ellum to the intersection of DNT and Oak Lawn Avenue, using Google maps. Three minutes faster using 366-35E-DNT than surface streets.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 20 Jul 2018 09:51

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ I just checked the travel time from Deep Ellum to the intersection of DNT and Oak Lawn Avenue, using Google maps. Three minutes faster using 366-35E-DNT than surface streets.

So it's 3 minutes faster in the best case (using highways is always going to take longer than surface streets at AM/PM rush hour) and still requires an extra mile and a half of driving over the Pearl/McKinnon option for an edge case scenario.

I'm not a highway tear-out extremist, but people need to be practical about picking a route from Point A to Point B. Maybe getting on the highway saves the hypothetical Deep Ellum-DNT commuter a few minutes, but at the expense of far more drivers making longer trips (who now have to contend with an additional vehicle merging or weaving 3-5 times in a 4 mile trip). Unless the freeways are wide open, that's going to have a bigger ripple effect than an additional car entering an arterial street.

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 20 Jul 2018 12:19

Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Here is something, looks like a fairly typical freeway widening project that promises to alleviate congestion but probably won't.

More highway lanes.... wonderful.... UGH. I'm all for cleaning up 35 and making it more modern and appealing but it's already a huge scar right through our city and riverfront. No need to make the scar larger. Invest in more public transit to take some of those cars off the road.

Public transport doesn't help me as I "drive" through Dallas.

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 20 Jul 2018 12:26

The 183 interchange merging south is a big problem. Especially the left lane of 183 merges with I35's right lane. Surely TxDot must have known this for years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/DFW+A ... 97.0400155

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 06 Jan 2019 23:00

The new ramps along Stemmons will be a lot taller than I expected. Many of the columns are pretty tall in spots. Hopefully, it won’t look like the elevated express lanes further north on Stemmons. The express lanes look awful!

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 07 Jan 2019 05:27

I never travel through there anymore and wish they had a website that showed progress photos like Midtown Express and DFW Connector did.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Jan 2019 20:45

dallaz wrote:The new ramps along Stemmons will be a lot taller than I expected. Many of the columns are pretty tall in spots. Hopefully, it won’t look like the elevated express lanes further north on Stemmons. The express lanes look awful!

Yikes, I have not seen that yet. Where along Stemmons are we talking? South of Woodall or north?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 08 Jan 2019 10:30

Tnexster wrote:
dallaz wrote:The new ramps along Stemmons will be a lot taller than I expected. Many of the columns are pretty tall in spots. Hopefully, it won’t look like the elevated express lanes further north on Stemmons. The express lanes look awful!

Yikes, I have not seen that yet. Where along Stemmons are we talking? South of Woodall or north?

North of Woodall.

I passed through the area today, it may not be as bad as I originally thought. I think they have no choice but to have elevated portions of roadway along Stemmons. In certain spots, I don’t think there’s enough space between the frontage road and the freeway. I believe areas where they have space, it could be at grade. I guess we’ll have to see...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Jan 2019 20:53

Looks like it is going to mess up the view from the Cabana Hotel project.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Jan 2019 09:08

I know it would have been a boat load of work & money, and also presented challenges due to historic trinity river channel, but I would have preferred that any rework of freeways within a couple of miles of the CBD be trenched (similar to 75) allowing various points to be capped over time.
These concrete monstrosities are nearly impossible to mitigate.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jan 2019 21:00

It's not as bad as north Stemmons but it's still elevated and will be there for a long time.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 May 2021 15:04

After years of work, part of the "Lowest Stemmons" project is about to open. The on-ramp to the Dallas North Tollway from northbound I-35E is getting replaced starting this weekend. Drivers will now have to exit in the Continental-Woodall Rodgers vicinity on a new ramp. As for those on westbound Woodall Rodgers headed for northbound I-35E and the Tollway--drivers will have to continue to Oak Lawn, then exit, turn right, then turn left from Oak Lawn to get on the Tollway.

Oh boy, what a fun commute (but not for me!).....

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city ... -new-ramp/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 May 2021 16:35

^Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

electricron

Postby electricron » 20 May 2021 21:46

muncien wrote: .-.-. but I would have preferred that any rework of freeways within a couple of miles of the CBD be trenched (similar to 75) allowing various points to be capped over time.

US 75 has been trenched how long now, 20 plus years? Reconstruction started in 1992 and was finished in 1999.
Has anyone proposed capping it since?
I'm waiting!
Do not get my viewpoint wrong, building a freeway in a ditch, at grade, or in a viaduct works just as well. But at some point costs of construction and later maintenance should be considered - if only to be wise stewards of public finances.
Building a freeway in a ditch so someone can later cap it is foolish and wasteful, because like US 75 the odds that someone will later want to cap it is so slim.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 May 2021 08:19

I35 should be trenched. It's awful what they with the expansion/pegasus project. So much worse now

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 May 2021 08:23

Trenching i35 and connecting to river front and design district would be huge.. just saying
Last edited by Tivo_Kenevil on 22 May 2021 08:26, edited 2 times in total.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 May 2021 08:23

electricron wrote:
muncien wrote: .-.-. but I would have preferred that any rework of freeways within a couple of miles of the CBD be trenched (similar to 75) allowing various points to be capped over time.

US 75 has been trenched how long now, 20 plus years? Reconstruction started in 1992 and was finished in 1999.
I'm waiting!
Do not get my viewpoint wrong, building a freeway in a ditch, at grade, or in a viaduct works just as well. But at some point costs of construction and later maintenance should be considered - if only to be wise stewards of public finances.
Building a freeway in a ditch so someone can later cap it is foolish and wasteful, because like US 75 the odds that someone will later want to cap it is so slim.

Was there even a proposal to have it capped? Not to my knowledge. The only reason it is trenched is because park cities ppl didn't wanna hear the highway. There's was never talk to have it trenched..and then capped later on. That's also the reason there will never be expansion. Wealthy ppl will not allow their area to have noise pollution. That's why it's trenched. That's why DNT is trenched near park cities too.

Plus it looks ugly. We can't have that near park cities

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 May 2021 13:11

One problem with trying to put I-35E below grade there: it would have to go back to current grade by the time it would reach the Old Trinity/Turtle Creek waterways.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 22 May 2021 16:37

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Was there even a proposal to have it capped? Not to my knowledge. The only reason it is trenched is because park cities ppl didn't wanna hear the highway. There's was never talk to have it trenched..and then capped later on. That's also the reason there will never be expansion. Wealthy ppl will not allow their area to have noise pollution. That's why it's trenched.

The original plan for US-75 reconstruction was to double-deck it. That plan was (thankfully) killed mainly by the residents of East Dallas.

Bob Folsom used to talk about how it tried to get the Turnpike Authority to build the entire length below grade. Not for noise, but so they could easily come back later and double deck it. They rejected the idea because they didn't believe there would ever be enough traffic to pay for it.

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:That's why DNT is trenched near park cities too.

The DNT is not trenched through the park cities. It's only below grade level at underpasses, and not even all of them.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 May 2021 13:33

Had a chance to use this new ramp yesterday. If you are coming from south of Woodall this is a huge improvement and gets you off Stemmons and away from that seemingly endless backup before the old tollway exit. However, I couldn't help but notice a new choke point at the Oak Lawn exit. Feel bad for those having to use Oak Lawn to get to the tollway.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 25 May 2021 19:32

Tnexster wrote:Had a chance to use this new ramp yesterday. If you are coming from south of Woodall this is a huge improvement and gets you off Stemmons and away from that seemingly endless backup before the old tollway exit. However, I couldn't help but notice a new choke point at the Oak Lawn exit. Feel bad for those having to use Oak Lawn to get to the tollway.

Ugh.

And apparently that was totally predictable, according to an earlier post and the culture map article :roll: maybe they’ll fix that jam with another ramp, and then that will cause another traffic jam haha. Seriously tho, are there any plans to fix it? Honestly it wouldn’t take much just try to feed some of the oak lawn onto Wycliff no?
itsjrd1964 wrote:After years of work, part of the "Lowest Stemmons" project is about to open. The on-ramp to the Dallas North Tollway from northbound I-35E is getting replaced starting this weekend. Drivers will now have to exit in the Continental-Woodall Rodgers vicinity on a new ramp. As for those on westbound Woodall Rodgers headed for northbound I-35E and the Tollway--drivers will have to continue to Oak Lawn, then exit, turn right, then turn left from Oak Lawn to get on the Tollway.

Oh boy, what a fun commute (but not for me!).....

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city ... -new-ramp/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 May 2021 08:58

IF they have a fix planned you can bet it's not going to happen anytime soon. For myself, I will likely avoid the Oak Lawn ramp for a long while. Easier to get on the tollway and exit at Lemmon.

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 27 May 2021 09:02

electricron wrote:

I'm waiting!

Those were a LOOOOOOOOONG 7 years too. To trench Stemmons it would have to be from DNT to 183. The ROW for expansion would involve the hotels and businesses in the market area. Cha ching. To me the problem is the 183 and I-35 merge. Maybe keep them separate and not merge to closer to DNT......in a trench (hey this going to cost big money no matter how you design it).

longhorn

Postby longhorn » 27 May 2021 09:09

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
electricron wrote:

I'm waiting!

Was there even a proposal to have it capped? Not to my knowledge. The only reason it is trenched is because park cities ppl didn't wanna hear the highway. There's was never talk to have it trenched..and then capped later on. That's also the reason there will never be expansion. Wealthy ppl will not allow their area to have noise pollution. That's why it's trenched. That's why DNT is trenched near park cities too.

I always wandered why the expense of trenching Central and the beautiful landscaping (are the plants still alive, look a little dead last summer). Park Cities and North Dallas, now it makes sense. Other than the long construction time, I have no problem with it, wish all of Dallas's freeways followed the same esthetic.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 May 2021 13:07

longhorn wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
electricron wrote:US 75 has been trenched how long now, 20 plus years? Reconstruction started in 1992 and was finished in 1999.
I'm waiting!

I always wandered why the expense of trenching Central and the beautiful landscaping (are the plants still alive, look a little dead last summer).

Most of the median plants were replaced in recent months with red yucca, apparently a plant that doesn't require a direct connection from one of the area lakes ;)

IINM, the other plants along the sides and service roads are pretty much the same.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 28 May 2021 12:11

A new loooooong ramp from southbound Stemmons to Woodall Rodgers will open on 5/29 at 5 am.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city ... exit-ramp/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 28 May 2021 13:22

I hope I like this new ramp... Southbound 35E to Woodall always stressed me out because I could NEVER remember which lane I needed to be in early enough, and by the time the signs come into view traffic would be at a standstill.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jun 2021 17:15

Also trenching is a good space saving trick. Burying lanes below grade means you can do all kinds of things with floating service roads closer to the main lanes. All the input on new inner city highways is how do you make it bigger in smaller space and so far TXDOT's best plans have been bury it and stack service roads right up against the main lanes below it or even bury some HOV lanes beneath the main lanes. Buying more land to make wider and wider highways is also a big budget issue. Its not about putting parks on top. That's a recent idea that is trendy but not the reason highways are being trenched. People are tired of hearing and seeing freeways and they voice that opinion in meetings so TXDOT has to solve it some way. Personally my favorite highway is DNT because it has no service roads when you go south of 635 it neatly gets people into the city and doesn't have huge flyovers to connect up huge backed up inner city roadways. Does it get traffic that backs up traffic for miles sure does but if you have noticed so does every single highway in Texas that has miles of service roads and extra lanes. Ill take the DNT problems over 75's any day.