Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

User avatar
muncien
Posts: 1062
Joined: 25 Oct 2016 08:46
Location: Cypress Waters

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby muncien » 30 Oct 2019 09:28

DPatel304 wrote:Whoa! That's great news! I had planned to attend the presentation last night, but I wasn't feeling too well and decided to skip. I'm very surprised that they seem to have a good plan in place for I-30, I was pretty much expecting the worst.


No kidding! Awesome News. It always seemed the usage of land in the existing ROW was very poor, and that they should be able to fit more lanes into a smaller footprint. Doing so just seemed so un-DOT that it wasn't even worth mentioning. Very glad to see this proposal.
Also, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the gap between the two parks. Yes, ventilation is VERY important now, so it makes sense to save a little there. But twenty years from now, most cars running through there will be emission free, and ventilation can become more manageable, thus allowing parks to be connected. I don't see any reason to spend excessive funds now for a 'temporary' problem. Just make sure the depth is right for it in the future.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 757
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby Tucy » 30 Oct 2019 10:51

I can't see the whole article (paywall), but before it blacks out I was able to read that the project reduces the highway's footprint. Looking at the documents I can find on line, the only footprint reduction I see is the removal of the Cesar Chavez ramps. Is that what they are referring to? (It doesn't look like 14 acres).

User avatar
Hannibal Lecter
Posts: 578
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 19:57

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 30 Oct 2019 14:06

Yes, it's a strange place to find it but here's the plan: https://media.nbcnewyork.com/documents/ ... -PM-01.pdf

Interesting tidbit: The exit sign from eastbound 30 will say "North 345 / South 45"

itsjrd1964
Posts: 792
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Oct 2019 18:28

Tucy wrote:I can't see the whole article (paywall), but before it blacks out I was able to read that the project reduces the highway's footprint. Looking at the documents I can find on line, the only footprint reduction I see is the removal of the Cesar Chavez ramps. Is that what they are referring to? (It doesn't look like 14 acres).


On the schematic that Hannibal links to, all the red parts are lanes and ramps that will go away; the bulk of them are around the Cesar Chavez exit, but other removals include the eastbound ramp/curve to Lamar.

User avatar
homeworld1031tx
Posts: 145
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 12:23

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby homeworld1031tx » 31 Oct 2019 09:54

The plan does indeed look pretty good. Glad that they're attempting to trench the highway to some degree as well.

DPatel304
Posts: 1839
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby DPatel304 » 31 Oct 2019 14:14

Image
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... 30-canyon/

Overall, I'm super pleased with what I'm seeing. There are certainly things I would still improve on top of this (for example, I'd rather see one big park as opposed to 'three fingers'), but this is a huge step in the right direction, and I really think the Cedars and the southern portion of Downtown will greatly benefit from this.

All of a sudden I think the proposed Smart City development is starting to look a lot more attractive now.

Tnexster
Posts: 2658
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby Tnexster » 01 Nov 2019 12:33

This is definitely better than what was proposed earlier. Wish they could somehow daylight the creek under there.

User avatar
Cord1936
Posts: 269
Joined: 02 Apr 2017 20:43
Location: Design District

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby Cord1936 » 01 Nov 2019 15:59

Another article on the topic ...

Image

TxDOT previews plan to double the size of I-30 in downtown Dallas
By Micah Moore, Dallas CultureMap, Oct 31, 2019, 9:09 am

Article: http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-31-19-txdot-30-widening-six-lanes/?utm_source=Dallas+Magazine&utm_campaign=97d81718dd-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_10_09_09_23_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d83922037a-97d81718dd-106717359

DPatel304
Posts: 1839
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Nov 2019 15:45

Image

"Written comments from the public are requested and will be accepted for a period of 15 calendar days following the meeting. Written comments may be submitted either in person at the public meeting; by mail to the TxDOT Dallas District Office, ATTN: Ms. Ashton Strong, P.E., TxDOT Project Manager, 4777 E. Highway 80, Mesquite, Texas 75150-6643, or via email to Ashton.Strong@txdot.gov. Written comments must be postmarked by Wednesday, November 13, 2019 to be included in the public meeting documentation."


Please send in your thoughts before Nov 13th, 2019.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1592
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Nov 2019 18:00

I feel like this design leaves a lot to be desired.

User avatar
quixomniac
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 21:24

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby quixomniac » 09 Nov 2019 20:21

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I feel like this design leaves a lot to be desired.


Anything specific?
Ideally the part next to Dallas Heritage Village should be all one piece.
Seperating into 3 pieces makes no sense, given there are no streets or ramps cutting it up.
Might as well cover it all up at once.

But I figure this can't be Klyde Warren given there is not much funding for it.

DPatel304
Posts: 1839
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Nov 2019 23:57

These plans incorporate up to over 14 acres of surplus land, and the city’s draft plans include two deck parks -- a swath between Griffin and Akard and Canton and Cadiz streets, and three fingers of land between Harwood and St. Paul just north of the Dallas Heritage Village. The city proposed the second deck park to be divided for natural ventilation to reduce costs.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/10 ... 30-canyon/

Just FYI, they do have their reasons for splitting the eastern deck park into three pieces. It sounds like it's mostly due to cutting costs, but I really do hope they reconsider this.

User avatar
quixomniac
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 21:24

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby quixomniac » 10 Nov 2019 17:45

DPatel304 wrote:
These plans incorporate up to over 14 acres of surplus land, and the city’s draft plans include two deck parks -- a swath between Griffin and Akard and Canton and Cadiz streets, and three fingers of land between Harwood and St. Paul just north of the Dallas Heritage Village. The city proposed the second deck park to be divided for natural ventilation to reduce costs.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/10 ... 30-canyon/

Just FYI, they do have their reasons for splitting the eastern deck park into three pieces. It sounds like it's mostly due to cutting costs, but I really do hope they reconsider this.


Thanks for the info, I suppose it pays to read more carefully. :D
Klyde Warren is about 3-4 blocks, and this looks like 2-3 blocks.
I suppose the exhaust fans at Klyde Warren cost lots of money?

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 1150
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Dec 2019 14:52

The way the eastern (Heritage Village) deck park is proposed doesn't show a lot of promise for having a KWP-style effect on the area. However, the deck adjacent to S Harwood should be prioritized if they need to be phased out.

This would pull Old City Park into the Farmers Market and away from the Bridge, especially if the city buys some of the surplus land from TxDot like the D Magazine article suggests, expanding that small deck park further north and maybe even connecting with the Futsal sports park.

Cedars deck park.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
quixomniac
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 21:24

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby quixomniac » 10 Dec 2019 18:28

lakewoodhobo wrote:The way the eastern (Heritage Village) deck park is proposed doesn't show a lot of promise for having a KWP-style effect on the area. However, the deck adjacent to S Harwood should be prioritized if they need to be phased out.

This would pull Old City Park into the Farmers Market and away from the Bridge, especially if the city buys some of the surplus land from TxDot like the D Magazine article suggests, expanding that small deck park further north and maybe even connecting with the Futsal sports park.

Cedars deck park.jpg


I think that's reasonable, but I can see the counter argument that it is more expensive to build out in phases if you have to close down parts of the highway as you build deck parks over the years.

I wish the farmers market was more engaged with Old City Park for sure.
Organic food and doing things the way they used to is all the rage.
I can definitely see Old City Park opening urban farms and showing people how to farm and grow crops.
You could even expand on that and add an old school brewery, and hand made soaps, clothes etc.
Self sufficiency is something that Old City Park can definitely sell.

User avatar
exelone31
Posts: 614
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 11:35

Re: I-30 South & East Dallas reconstruction

Postby exelone31 » 11 Dec 2019 09:06

Does anyone happen to know what the plans are for the old Ambassador site? I can imagine a deck park would have quite an effect on what is planned there, possibly high-ish rise residential?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Login