Downtown Dallas Greyhound Station Closing - Lost Lease

Matt777

Downtown Dallas Greyhound Station Closing - Lost Lease

Postby Matt777 » 27 Jan 2024 00:54

Wow, end of an era for sure. The stations do tend to bring problems but they serve a demographic that has few options for transportation.
I wonder where Greyhound will shift service to. They do have quite a bit of property around their maintenance facility in the Design District.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... -in-limbo/
Dallas Morning News wrote:Greyhound is closing its Dallas terminal, leaving low-income travelers in limbo
The downtown terminal, a travel hub for more than 40 years, will shutter in October. What’s next is unclear.

Twenty Lake Holdings, a subsidiary of investment firm Alden Global Capital, purchased 33 Greyhound stations across the US from UK-based First Group in late 2022 for $140 million. Since then, terminals in major hubs like Philadelphia and Cincinnati have shuttered while their properties have been put on the market.

The lease for the downtown Dallas terminal will not be renewed, but a new location has not yet been identified, a spokesperson for Greyhound confirmed in an email Wednesday. The 26,000-square-foot property at 205 S. Lamar St. is worth $2.8 million, according to the Dallas Central Appraisal District.

lakewoodhobo

Re: Downtown Dallas Greyhound Station Closing - Lost Lease

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Jan 2024 09:29

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 9.20.47 AM Large.jpeg

It's the only Art Moderne architecture that we have downtown and it absolutely deserves protection. I've always wanted to see this building restored and redeveloped into something, but I guess I never imagined it without some type of bus terminal component.

Is Megabus still around? Maybe it could just be a hub for that service.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 27 Jan 2024 19:14

Maybe NW Dallas near a DART station would be a good location for it?
There are plenty of underutilized industrial/retail tracts around the Walnut Hill Green Line station.
That area is already a little sketch, so adding in the unwanted behavior that SOME Greyhound passengers exhibit won't be too big of a deal.
Long distance buses are a fading industry, but there needs to be a station somewhere in the area.... Greyhound is based in Dallas after all.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 28 Jan 2024 14:26

Add Houston and Richmond to the list of Dallas, Philadelphia and Cincinnati. Alden Global Capital has apparently run out of American newspapers to demolish, and turned its practiced mitts elsewhere. Founder Randall Smith is the same founder who did Spire Realty. Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alden_Global_Capital

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 29 Jan 2024 10:55

Tyler lost its in-town Greyhound terminal in recent years. Now anyone busing it to/from Tyler has to interact with a truck stop *miles* northeast of town on I-20. No shuttle to connect the truck stop bus passengers to the urban part of Tyler, either.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 01 Feb 2024 13:35

lakewoodhobo wrote:Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 9.20.47 AM Large.jpeg

It's the only Art Moderne architecture that we have downtown and it absolutely deserves protection. I've always wanted to see this building restored and redeveloped into something, but I guess I never imagined it without some type of bus terminal component.

Is Megabus still around? Maybe it could just be a hub for that service.

Megabus is still around, but I irritatingly discovered a few weeks ago that they've moved their "hub" from the bus transfer station near Pearl Street Station downtown, all the way over to Fuel City Tacos near the courthouse. Not only are there no to minimal transit options near Fuel City (no, I don't count a DART bus as viable transit for my needs), but there isn't even long term parking.