Dallas: Miscellaneous Road Projects

northsouth

Dallas: Miscellaneous Road Projects

Postby northsouth » 08 Oct 2022 22:47

Noticed recently that they're finally building the missing segment of the Fair Park-CBD Link between Hall and Elm/Exposition, parallel to the Green Line. I guess they started earlier this year, because it looks like they've finished pouring most of the concrete for the road now. The intersection with Elm at Exposition seems awkward though (before even considering that the Green Line cuts diagonally across it).

cowboyeagle05

Re: Dallas: Miscellaneous Road Projects

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2022 15:15

It looks to me that when I was driving past, they were only doing the section up to the Green Line on the Baylor side, which is easy to do, though. South of the greenline through Exposition Park, the city hasn't made the needed acquisitions, I think to tear down buildings and build the straight shot to 30 like what was proposed to straighten out the mix of oneway streets and two-way Main Street The southern section which was considered controversial by some was deader than it is today. Now we have an active 7-Eleven, Thunderbird Station, Cold Beer Company, and long-term businesses like Double Wide and Sandbar Cantina, which would all be majorly affected by ripping up the current configuration into the streamlined arterial that Baylor wants.

Did the city ever settle the argument, or did the city give up and is just building out the northern section in hopes something would get settled one day on a new route?
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Oct 2022 21:06

Good news: It looks like the southern part, south of Main Street, is finally dead. Last year the city cancelled that section and diverted the funds to the northern section, which is under construction. See http://citysecretary2.dallascityhall.co ... 1-1522.pdf

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Oct 2022 15:08

Nice, so until they fund it another way it will sit on the shelf like 98% of Dallas plans. This is one of those plans people have to keep an eye on though Baylor wants a rebuild but since I-30 redo is still in the works they may wait till after those plans are funded before they plan out a direct route through Exposition Park.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Oct 2022 02:43

The Swiss Ave./Munger Blvd. intersection recently got a pedestrian upgrade, in the form of new warning signage and horizontal flashing lights. The Ch.5 report talks about how residents were concerned for safety at that crossing.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dalla ... e/3109955/

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Nov 2022 11:37

^^ Between the trick-or-treaters and traffic, that intersection was a shit show last night.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Nov 2022 15:26

So the upgrade is blinking lights...Seen it on Cedar Springs and McKinney Ave and sober drivers still run the lights and some blinking lights do nothing.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 01 Nov 2022 15:52

This “fix” should have been a stop sign or stoplight. What a waste of time and tax dollars.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Nov 2022 13:41

Much like the stoplight, they added to Cedar Springs at the library and former Illume. The only reason it happened is that some community members who screamed the loudest claimed it was the only solution to the problem so the city finally caved and wasted neighborhood money on lights when it wasn't the better solution. The neighborhood on Swiss Ave is organized and loud, so they got what they wanted, so I am sure they will be happy.