Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Margaret McDermott Bridge by Santiago Calatrava

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2020 23:01

The bridge was finally lit up. It looks amazing

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Jan 2021 11:58

Repairs Set to Begin for Margaret McDermott Pedestrian Bridge
Repairs are estimated to be completed by the end of the year, the city manager's office says

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/repai ... e/2518590/

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 04 Jan 2021 12:29

^ In the story linked in the post above it looks like the concrete sections are at different elevations? I have never been on the pedestrian section due to the closure and I'm wondering if this is a messed up deck or a feature? Seems dangerous given the uneven pavement.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Jan 2021 12:44

casperitl wrote:^ In the story linked in the post above it looks like the concrete sections are at different elevations? I have never been on the pedestrian section due to the closure and I'm wondering if this is a messed up deck or a feature? Seems dangerous given the uneven pavement.

You're right, that didn't stick out to me when I first saw the article.

I have to assume it is intentionally, because it looks too perfect to be an unintentional mess up. My guess is, is that they are trying to separate bikes and pedestrians? If that's the case, there needs to be a better separation between the two.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Jan 2021 16:55

I am genuinely gobsmacked to see that elevated portion. What on earth were they trying to do that couldn't have been done with a painted white line that has no risk of tripping anyone or sending a bike flying.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Jan 2021 17:00

To me it looks like a total screw up. That can't be intentional design.

soco

Postby soco » 05 Jan 2021 08:50

The separation is intentional. The original signage and striping plan has cyclists and pedestrians in their own spaces on the approaches and on the bridge itself. On the bridge pedestrians transition to the raised portion while cyclists continue in their own 'bike lane'.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Jan 2021 09:13

soco wrote:The separation is intentional. The original signage and striping plan has cyclists and pedestrians in their own spaces on the approaches and on the bridge itself. On the bridge pedestrians transition to the raised portion while cyclists continue in their own 'bike lane'.

I really hope they plan to make the two lanes different colors or perhaps add some other sort of separator as well. Otherwise I could definitely see it being a bit dangerous if it's not noticeable.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 12 Jan 2021 11:04

DPatel304 wrote:
soco wrote:The separation is intentional. The original signage and striping plan has cyclists and pedestrians in their own spaces on the approaches and on the bridge itself. On the bridge pedestrians transition to the raised portion while cyclists continue in their own 'bike lane'.

I really hope they plan to make the two lanes different colors or perhaps add some other sort of separator as well. Otherwise I could definitely see it being a bit dangerous if it's not noticeable.

Maybe the modifications will include traffic-calming measures like curb bumpouts and speed tables to keep cyclists from going dangerously fast so close to pedestrians. We need to slow things down so no one gets hurt, after all ;) :lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jan 2021 15:02

I bet Mr. Santiago Calatrava has a contractual ban of painted symbols or painted concrete to try to organize the types of traffic. His style is bright white everything... He already threw a fit when the city talked about colorful LED lighting for the bridge. The problem with high profile Celeb-Architects is cities are so desperate to have their trophies on the skyline they are likely to bend to their celebrity requests no matter what they are.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jan 2021 17:05

Happened across this bridge a couple times today. At least work is being done.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Jan 2021 18:59

Wonderful. Even though I'm really embarrassed by how much of a cluster this project has been, I'm looking forward to utilizing this pedestrian bridge when it is completed.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 29 Jan 2021 22:42

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I bet Mr. Santiago Calatrava has a contractual ban of painted symbols or painted concrete to try to organize the types of traffic. His style is bright white everything... He already threw a fit when the city talked about colorful LED lighting for the bridge. The problem with high profile Celeb-Architects is cities are so desperate to have their trophies on the skyline they are likely to bend to their celebrity requests no matter what they are.

After construction is done, do you think it’s too late to add some sort of lights on the bridges? Is the council in favor of it?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Jan 2021 09:02

ajderry2017 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I bet Mr. Santiago Calatrava has a contractual ban of painted symbols or painted concrete to try to organize the types of traffic. His style is bright white everything... He already threw a fit when the city talked about colorful LED lighting for the bridge. The problem with high profile Celeb-Architects is cities are so desperate to have their trophies on the skyline they are likely to bend to their celebrity requests no matter what they are.

After construction is done, do you think it’s too late to add some sort of lights on the bridges? Is the council in favor of it?

There's regular lightning already on the bridge. It makes it look bright white at night. It's very, very rare that they switch it on. Ive seen on like twice during existence. I live nearby see it everyday and night.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 May 2021 10:49

The Margaret McDermott Bridge Will Finally Open to Pedestrians Next Month
It's four years late and $7 million over budget, but you can soon walk or bike over the Trinity River along the Margaret McDermott Bridge.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... ext-month/

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 24 May 2021 17:32

Tnexster wrote:The Margaret McDermott Bridge Will Finally Open to Pedestrians Next Month
It's four years late and $7 million over budget, but you can soon walk or bike over the Trinity River along the Margaret McDermott Bridge.

Wow. alot earlier than i thought it would. Y'all go on ahead. Ill check it out in july if it doesnt collapse. :lol:

undefinedprocess

Postby undefinedprocess » 24 May 2021 19:49

quixomniac wrote:
Tnexster wrote:The Margaret McDermott Bridge Will Finally Open to Pedestrians Next Month

Wow. alot earlier than i thought it would. Y'all go on ahead. Ill check it out in july if it doesnt collapse. :lol:

Hmm… Do y’all think it being open will last..?

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 10 Jun 2021 18:42

Today was the ceremony day, so it is now officially, finally open.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 10 Jun 2021 23:16

Went to check it out.
0FA4918C-9536-4A5C-A671-DAE01C8AA4C3.jpeg

Word of advice, go up from the west levee, Oak cliff side.
In general access to the bridge is terrible, poor interaction with the levees.
But the East levee, downtown side, is beyond terrible!
One arch ends at a dead end, near an off ramp.
22E3D9E8-92BD-4673-9B35-2E446C409A08.jpeg

And the other end is attached to an on ramp! Wtf.
F17AE924-6D9A-4A8D-B167-45B4321F91F1.jpeg

It looks like they left a space for a future bike ramp attachment in the future.
AF5E2E16-7604-4DFD-8186-95F169EBADA9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 10 Jun 2021 23:20

undefinedprocess wrote:Hmm… Do y’all think it being open will last..?

I’d give it a few weeks before they close it.
There are already people taking pictures hanging over the edge. :shock:
It’s only a matter of time b4 someone gets hurt accidentally or on purpose
And they’ll have to close it to put some netting to prevent falls.
Which honestly I’m shocked that no one had the foresight to put in the first place!
6614213F-EC85-4D93-A684-CC515696D99B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 11 Jun 2021 09:13

:shock: Why are people climbing over the edge?? Ugh..

undefinedprocess

Postby undefinedprocess » 11 Jun 2021 10:28

potatocoins wrote::shock: Why are people climbing over the edge?? Ugh..

Ugh is right. This going to get closed again so quick. I'm a photographer so I care way more about "the shot" than many people, but nah... You'd never catch me doing this. Someone going to play around and fall.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jun 2021 17:31

Hey remember the only reason we have the arches is because the Obama admin was giving out checks for projects that included other transportation besides more cars. Next the super smart Dallas Trinity Project people said what if we add overpriced Santiago Calatrava arches to a highway bridge so that it looks fancier like the one we promised in concept renderings. The arches will be "pedestrian bridges" so we can say look we care about alternative transportation. Then the rich people said deal I will write a check for my name to be slapped on the thing despite such a check only pays for the name plaque and we can forget we even created that Trinity River Rapids thing that could kill people...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”