Trinity Railway Express

itsjrd1964

Trinity Railway Express

Postby itsjrd1964 » 01 Sep 2018 09:32

The TRE is risking a government shutdown apparently, due to lack of updated equipment for "positive train control".

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... 9-shutdown

Tnexster

Re: Trinity Railway Express

Postby Tnexster » 01 Sep 2018 14:41

itsjrd1964 wrote:The TRE is risking a government shutdown apparently, due to lack of updated equipment for "positive train control".

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpo ... 9-shutdown

Dallas Area Rapid Transit, which shares TRE ownership with Fort Worth's Trinity Metro, will ask the federal government to extend its Dec. 31 implementation deadline to 2020. DART has started talks for a shuttle service in case the Federal Railroad Administration declines the extension.

Sounds like they are making progress and the training should be done early in 2018 so why the extension to 2020?

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 01 Sep 2018 17:28

Because otherwise there would be a gap in service between the start of the year and whenever they got it finished because they wouldn't have authorization to operate without PTC fully operational. Plus, this covers any delays that may occur.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 08 Aug 2019 19:48

The TRE seems to be having a lot of train cancellations due to "mechanical issues" recently. That is to say, they're running short on operable locomotives. While driving by their yard last week, I noticed one of the two F59PHIs (the streamlined engines) sitting off on the siding with the last RDC, so they're probably running without any spares, such that any issue that sidelines a locomotive means train cancellations.

Also on that track I noticed the two former Metrolink locomotives they leased earlier this year to alleviate/prevent this issue. Why aren't they in operation? Why get them unless you're going to use them. I know they're planning on buying an additional two engines, but these aren't them.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 01 Jan 2021 11:41

Anyone have a current status on the Trinity Lakes Station that is to replace the Richland Hills Station?

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2020011621
https://ridetrinitymetro.org/wp-content ... ng-1-1.pdf

Code: Select all

Item Number: BA2020-41 Meeting Date: March 31, 2020
Item Title: Trinity Railway Express (TRE) Trinity Lakes
Station – Track and Signal Construction
BACKGROUND
TRE Trinity Lakes Station is a new TRE station that is less than one mile east of the existing Richland
Hills Station, inside the City of Fort Worth limits and will be part of 1,600-acre master planned community
developed by Trinity Lakes.
Trinity Metro is responsible for construction of the track and signal modifications, station platform,
drainage and other civil improvements inside the existing railroad right-of-way. Trinity Lakes developer is
responsible for furnishing station parking, utilities, access roads and other civil improvements.
The new Trinity Lakes Station is scheduled to be operational by December 2020, and once this station
is in operation, the Richland Hills Station will be closed.

electricron

Postby electricron » 10 Jan 2021 09:05

I wish to let every HO modeler aware that a well known company from Canada is releasing limited editions of TRE F59PH locomotives and BiLevel cars this year (2021). So, if you are interested, now is the time to pre-order them at your local hobby shop.
As an aside, I wish other DCTA, TexRail, and DART trains models were also available. But I guess sales from the past affect what is available in the market.
For those frustrated being crop up in your homes so much this past year, railroad modeling is a great hobby - although a rather expensive one. A single TRE locomotive and three TRE coach cars will ruin your pocketbook well over $500; possibly over $600.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 11 Jan 2021 10:46

electricron wrote:I wish to let every HO modeler aware that a well known company from Canada is releasing limited editions of TRE F59PH locomotives and BiLevel cars this year (2021). So, if you are interested, now is the time to pre-order them at your local hobby shop.
As an aside, I wish other DCTA, TexRail, and DART trains models were also available. But I guess sales from the past affect what is available in the market.
For those frustrated being crop up in your homes so much this past year, railroad modeling is a great hobby - although a rather expensive one. A single TRE locomotive and three TRE coach cars will ruin your pocketbook well over $500; possibly over $600.

I've got a Bachman HO scale TRE trainset (with the streamlined F59PHI loco, two coaches, and a cab car) that I picked up on eBay for about $325 all together several years back. Nowadays that same set (if you can even find one on eBay) is running easily double that. Nice to see another manufacturer bring something to market, but man that price is steep.

electricron

Postby electricron » 12 Jan 2021 08:16

TNWE wrote:I've got a Bachman HO scale TRE trainset (with the streamlined F59PHI loco, two coaches, and a cab car) that I picked up on eBay for about $325 all together several years back. Nowadays that same set (if you can even find one on eBay) is running easily double that. Nice to see another manufacturer bring something to market, but man that price is steep.

Everything Rapido does is not cheap. They are considered a premium brand. You should be able to tell the difference between the Bachman and Rapido models from up close inspection. But I agree with you, their prices are very expensive.
I just bought 6 brand new Athearn Roundhouse model heavyweight coaches for $25 each. I will be adding Rapido easy peasy short lighting packages to them at a total additional cost around $90 shipped. And I still have to figure out how I plan to build the interiors and improve the vestibules which will also have an additional cost. With the Rapido coach cars, everything is already done. By the time I finish modeling the Athearn cars to my liking, the price for each car will be approaching what I would have paid for a Rapido car.
As I wrote earlier, the model railroading hobby is not cheap. And in general, like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.
You are the lucky one, you already have a very nice TRE HO train set to run around your layout. Some here do not. Which is why I made the earlier informative post.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 22 Mar 2022 23:32

After leasing a pair a few years ago during a locomotive shortage, TRE last year purchased two F40PH engines, which arrived late last year and began testing last week.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Feb 2024 18:31

The TRE station in Richland Hills (TX 121/Handley-Ederville Rd.) is being discontinued. Its last day will be February 17, a Saturday. Its replacement will be the Trinity Lakes station, 2 miles east in Hurst. Richland Hills voters decided to quit putting further tax money towards Trinity Metro, so that is the reason the TRE will no longer stop in Richland Hills. TRE will begin service to the Trinity Lakes station on Monday, February 19.

https://fortworth.culturemap.com/news/t ... and-hills/

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 08 Feb 2024 09:22

Props to culturemap for linking to that old 2009 TOD plan for the Richland Hills station. I had never seen that. A pity it didn't pan out because it looked pretty nice; sort of resembled Grapevine's station.

richland.png

richland2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 15 Feb 2024 13:02

TRE is receiving a grant this month to purchase 5 Siemens Charger locomotives. This will be a joint order with the Illinois DOT. The first TRE Charger will be delivered in the summer of 2026.

Here is the TRE news item. Tap Presentation for the details.

https://trinityrailwayexpress.org/tre-news-business/