Dallas Streetcar

northsouth

Dallas Streetcar

Postby northsouth » 15 May 2018 11:26

Why do the streetcars keep breaking down? It's been a regular occurrence for there to be a rider alert that only one (or sometimes zero) streetcar is in service due to "a mechanical issue." You'd think that with four vehicles they'd never have this issue. I vaguely remember hearing that one or two had issues when they first arrived, but surely any issues should have been fixed by now.

cowboyeagle05

Re: Dallas Streetcar

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 May 2018 11:31

I get those emails too and since I don't delete them I can track how many times a day the streetcar is down. Is this a product of the way they report maintenance or are they actually sitting stuck somewhere that many times a week? I feel like even with their ridership numbers if they were truly having so much downtime we would have heard about it from someone besides the DART emails.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 15 May 2018 12:57

Which streetcars? MATA or the Bishops Arts cars?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 May 2018 13:41

joshua.dodd wrote:Which streetcars? MATA or the Bishops Arts cars?

Bishop.

Haretip

Postby Haretip » 15 May 2018 16:02

These cars are the first time Brookville Equipment has produced a complete, new streetcar and they contain innovative technology that allows them to operate wirelessly. I know that they have kept the Brookville technicians very busy working out the bugs. I've heard some of the DART employees say that at times the Brookville guys would kick everyone out of the maintenance facility, shut the doors and work on the cars. (I don't know if that still happens but it sounds like they still have some issues to overcome.) The U.S. lost its streetcar building know-how decades ago and we still struggle to produce a modern car.
“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield