Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Tucy

Re: Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Postby Tucy » 01 Oct 2021 16:17

The_Overdog wrote:That didn't answer the question. What is the other driver in that specific area?

Not sure which "specific area" you are talking about. But in general, I don't really know what may or may not have caused the density, but probably has to do with access to highways, access to jobs, etc. What is very clear for most of the densely populated census tracts is that the density has not been caused by the Red Line.

Out of about 24 dense (over 10,000/square mile) census tracts along the Red Line/US 75 corridor, I can find about 5 for which a reasonable argument can be made that the Red Line caused their population density (and even for those, it's only a reasonable, straight-faced argument, not a slam dunk by any means).

Starting from the north. The northernmost densely populated census tract is 319.04, at the intersection of US 75 and PGBT. This is one of the few for which a reasonable claim can be made for the density having been induced by the Red Line.

The next group of census tracts is a cluster at the northwest quadrant of US 75 and I-635. Yes, at a glance it is along the Red Line route. But the nearest station is Spring Valley, on the other side of US 75. The very nearest residences I can find are more than 1 mile from the Spring Valley Station (and it would be anything but a pleasant walk). Keep in mind, this is the very closest. Every other residence in those 4 densely-populated tracts is even further. It's pretty clear the density of these tracts has nothing to do with the Red Line.

The next possibility is Census Tract 131.07. It contains a concentration of apartments (most of which appear to pre-date the Red Line. Regardless, the nearest point to a Red Line Station is about 1 mile (and not a particularly pleasant walk).

Census Tract 78.15 looks like one of the better candidates, but the vast majority of the residences are well over 1/2 mile from a Red Line Station (and, again, not a particularly pleasant pedestrian experience). (And most of it probably pre-dates the Red Line.)

Then there is a cluster of 7 tracts at the southeast corner of US 75 and Northwest Highway. There may be an argument for the southernmost two of those (but even those suffer from the facts that a good portion of the density probably predates the Red Line and most of it is well more than 1/2 mile from a station. The other five tracts in this cluster are just too far from a station to make a reasonable argument that they were densified because of the Red Line (in addition to substantially predating the Red Line).

Then we move on South and get to the pie-shaped Tract 7.06 and 7.05 directly South. Everybody living in those tracts is about a mile (and most cases more) from a Red Line Station.

A decent argument can be made for 7.03 (South of Fitzhugh), but even there, a good portion of the tract is more than 1/2 mile from the Station.
7.04 (between Blackburn and Lemmon) I'll give you.
17.03 (South of Lemmon): the vast majority of the residential in this tract is well over 1/2 mile from the Station.

East of US75, Tract 9.01 (between Henderson and Fitzhugh) and 9.02 (to the Southeast of 9.01): not close to a station.

8.02, between Fitzhugh and Haskell (and 8.01 to its Southeast)The bulk of the residential in this tract is well over 1/2 mile from a Station.

Even for 16.01, between Haskell and Hall, which actually contains the entrance to a Station, the argument for the Red Line causing the density is weak because almost all of the residential is more than 1/2 mile from the Station.

16.02 to the South and Southeast of 16.01 is just too far from any Station.

electricron

Postby electricron » 01 Oct 2021 20:11

A link to the US Census Bureau latest density maps
https://mtgis-portal.geo.census.gov/arc ... 2fd7ff6eb7

Many of the 10,000+/square mile tracts are near light rail lines and stations.
Whether these tracts grew because of DART light rail being built first, or they were already there encouraging DART to build to them, does it really matter?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Oct 2021 21:29

Increasing population density along the lines depends on the central business district, spoke and wheel.... The routes were selected because they were the paths of least resistance. The payoff will be substantial if it ever happens, but the CBD has to continue it's residential increases.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 06 Oct 2021 13:13

Here is an interview with DART's new CEO, Nadine Lee.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... adine-lee/

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 03 Nov 2021 18:46

Today, for the first time, I saw a pair of cars other than 135 and 222 that've had their destination signs replaced with LED ones. Cars 188 and 182, working the Green Line.

As an aside, 135 and 222 have been coupled to each other and running seemingly exclusively on the Orange Line for almost a year now. I can't rule out them having run on other lines, but I figure if that was the case I would've seen them by now.

Postby 754 » 05 Nov 2021 11:56

northsouth wrote:Today, for the first time, I saw a pair of cars other than 135 and 222 that've had their destination signs replaced with LED ones. Cars 188 and 182, working the Green Line.

As an aside, 135 and 222 have been coupled to each other and running seemingly exclusively on the Orange Line for almost a year now. I can't rule out them having run on other lines, but I figure if that was the case I would've seen them by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDpJeKMvII at 4:18 in this video you can see these two LRVs on the green line. It looks like they will finally be using Led signed cars on other lines besides the orange line.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 15 Nov 2021 13:56

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 16 Dec 2021 18:56

At least 10 cars now have LED signs. Seems the rollout has begun in earnest.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Dec 2021 02:42

northsouth wrote:At least 10 cars now have LED signs. Seems the rollout has begun in earnest.

Good. So many of the existing cars have had problems with their scrolling mechanisms. It can easily throw off folks trying to catch the right train. Otherwise, it just looks tacky, especially the ones that are stuck on an upside-down destination name.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Feb 2022 05:29

Regional Transportation Council looks to extend DART rail line from Plano to McKinney

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... -mckinney/

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 23 Feb 2022 11:32

What is the real issue and what could be done to have our rail system run when it is most needed during winter storms. Apparently Dallas still has winter so long term what can be done this makes us look bad as a metro.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Feb 2022 13:29

There should be some kind of heating elements for the electric lines on the light rail routes and/or heating elements on the pantagrams (the metal go-betweens on the roofs of the light rail cars that make contact with the electric lines), as well as heating elements on the rails themselves. If technology exists for any of the above, DART would likely consider it too costly.

Similar heating setups should be considered for medium-to-high freeway overpasses/ramps so they could be passable in inclement winter weather. TxDOT would probably react the same as DART.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 22 Mar 2022 11:07

The way that light rail lines in colder places generally deal with ice on the wires is to put scrapers on the pantographs. There is of course the cost of acquiring and installing them onto the trains, but also they add wear to the wires and reduce their longevity. Given the rarity of ice storms (we've had a few ice events over the last two years, after years without any), it's not surprising that it's not seen as worthwhile.

What I do find odd is that I feel like DART used to be a bit more cavalier about running trains in icy conditions; they'd just run trains at high frequencies to try to keep the wires clean. Now, one of the plans for winter weather entails truncating service on all branches and running high frequencies on the core, but they've never implemented this scheme and every time have ended up jumping past it to the next level where they cancel all the trains.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 12 Apr 2022 13:13

Average weekday DART ridership at the DFW station:

FY 2014: 922
FY 2015: 898
FY 2016: 968
FY 2017: 976
FY 2018: 929
FY 2019: 951
FY 2020: 768
FY 2021: 893

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Apr 2022 18:02

Tucy wrote:Average weekday DART ridership at the DFW station:

FY 2014: 922
FY 2015: 898
FY 2016: 968
FY 2017: 976
FY 2018: 929
FY 2019: 951
FY 2020: 768
FY 2021: 893

Steadily working our way out of pandemic...

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Apr 2022 14:22

Presented without comment, except to mention this is widely read airline industry/travel blog.

MY (MIS)ADVENTURES ON THE DALLAS DART…

Someone could have warned me that I probably should have avoided the Dallas DART (light rail) when traveling from DFW Airport to central Dallas. Then again, then I would not have been able to witness a panoply of debauchery, defiance, and deceit.

https://liveandletsfly.com/dallas-dart-dfw/

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 14 Apr 2022 16:00

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Presented without comment, except to mention this is widely read airline industry/travel blog.

MY (MIS)ADVENTURES ON THE DALLAS DART…

Someone could have warned me that I probably should have avoided the Dallas DART (light rail) when traveling from DFW Airport to central Dallas. Then again, then I would not have been able to witness a panoply of debauchery, defiance, and deceit.

https://liveandletsfly.com/dallas-dart-dfw/

Your boy sounds like a Grade A wuss who has never been on public transit in any large city

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Apr 2022 17:18

The problem is we are not New York City so these stories sound more significant when they aren't surrounded by a dense urban city without lots of riders.

I was verbally attacked riding at night riding from Cedars Station to Garland where two guys demanded to borrow my phone and got in my face about it on the train. I refused and another rider intervened by telling them to leave me alone so they started cussing him out and got off at West Village Station cussing the whole train out. Now did I keep riding DART of course. I even later bought a monthly membership but when you are in Chicago or New York it feels like just a part of the culture to some people, but in Dallas, they expect southern hospitality in the above-ground transit system in a suburban-based metro. Is it unrealistic probably, but entire laws are passed on unrealistic expecattooons of behavior.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Apr 2022 19:08

Cmacemm wrote:Your boy sounds like a Grade A wuss who has never been on public transit in any large city

"Matthew is an avid traveler who calls Los Angeles home. Each year he travels more than 200,000 miles by air and has visited more than 135 countries over the last decade. Working both in the aviation industry and as a travel consultant, Matthew has been featured in major media outlets around the world.

Studying international relations, American government, and later obtaining a law degree, Matthew has a plethora of knowledge outside the travel industry that leads to a unique writing perspective. He has served in the United States Air Force, on Capitol Hill, and in the White House."

https://liveandletsfly.com/about/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Apr 2022 21:31

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Cmacemm wrote:Your boy sounds like a Grade A wuss who has never been on public transit in any large city

"Matthew is an avid traveler who calls Los Angeles home. Each year he travels more than 200,000 miles by air and has visited more than 135 countries over the last decade. Working both in the aviation industry and as a travel consultant, Matthew has been featured in major media outlets around the world.

Studying international relations, American government, and later obtaining a law degree, Matthew has a plethora of knowledge outside the travel industry that leads to a unique writing perspective. He has served in the United States Air Force, on Capitol Hill, and in the White House."

Meh... After reading..... Idiots yelling slurs and smokin is something I've seen in other Metros in the US.

I once saw a homeless man defecate in an NYC subway station.
I saw an entire Muslim family on a mattress begging for money in Paris next to a subway terminal.

What was described here was mild in comparison. I tend to agree.. what a wuss..

https://youtu.be/4ztTl_YpD6A

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 15 Apr 2022 11:06

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Yeah, this isn't helping your argument LOL

Privileged white boy takes train and gets scared

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 15 Apr 2022 13:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:The problem is we are not New York City so these stories sound more significant when they aren't surrounded by a dense urban city without lots of riders.

This is the biggest difference for me. I've found myself feeling uncomfortable walking around Dallas at times simply because there have been times where there appears to be nobody else in sight. Same goes for the DART too.

I get that a city and public transportation may have some questionable activity, but as long as there are enough other people around I really wouldn't pay much attention to it. It's a different story when it's literally just you and someone else and that's it.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 18 Apr 2022 00:16

When I read the blog title I definitely thought it was going to be a lot worse. This just sound like normal DART during off peak hours. Still, I wish DART would just come up with a solution for fare enforcement, cleaner trains, and a better transit experience.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 11 Aug 2022 13:14

RAISE grant approved for some much needed sidewalk expansion in south Dallas along the blue line.

17 MB pdf file of all U.S. projects are here, but the relevant page for us is this one:
raise.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 17 Aug 2022 00:03

Know this [DART Streetcar Feasibility Report - July 2022 - PDF] was posted and discussed in the Discord, so posting it here for all of the forum-only folks...

Which oh yeah, by the way, if you aren't in the Discord server, what are you doing? Lots of great QOL/usability changes to the server itself and Discord as a whole as of late. Join via the link in my signature! :)

Back to the topic at hand. What are each of y'all's top 3 in-Dallas routes, and what are your top 3 outside-of-Dallas routes? Also, doesn't have to be for current alignment/route of the line, just wanna know which areas/corridors in the study that you all want to see served by a streetcar expansion/new line the most.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 Aug 2022 12:11

Thanks for sharing! I just skimmed and looked at the maps, but it's kinda crazy to think about any sort of suburban streetcar line. I'd really like to see Dallas just embrace buses more rather than trying to invest so much in streetcars everywhere.

Back to the topic at hand. What are each of y'all's top 3 in-Dallas routes, and what are your top 3 outside-of-Dallas routes? Also, doesn't have to be for current alignment/route of the line, just wanna know which areas/corridors in the study that you all want to see served by a streetcar expansion/new line the most.

in-Dallas:
  • Knox/Henderson extension
  • Dallas Central Link
I'm a little tired of the 'build it and they will come' developments, which is why I'm not on board with some of the other ones. I'm glad we are being more forward thinking and improving infrastructure all over Dallas, but it feels like we are almost spread too thin and then we end up with bike lanes that don't get much usage and streetcars that aren't seeing much activity.

outside-of-Dallas:
  • Richardson Main St
  • Downtown Plano/Collin Creek connector
I could be on board with the Richardson Main St connector, if it meant a lot more density/walkability being built around each of those streetcar stations. This would also potentially bring more traffic to those existing Red Line stations. For the same reasons, I would also like the Downtown Plano/Collin Creek connector route.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Aug 2022 14:29

In Dallas
  • Bishop Arts to Jefferson Blvd
  • Deep Ellum/Baylor to Lakewood
  • Downtown/Uptown to Cedar Springs/Love Field

Outside of Dallas
  • Downtown Garland to White Rock Lake
  • Downtown Arlington to Cowboys/Globe Life/Texas Live
  • Stockyards/Cultural District to Sundance Square
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 17 Aug 2022 16:51

In this order

*MATA extension to Knox
*Bishop Arts extension to Jefferson/Dallas Zoo

Daydream:
*Henderson from Knox to Ross
*Ross south to DTD
*Greenville Ave from Henderson north to Mockingbird
*Greenville Ave from Mockingbird north to at least Park Ln

As long as I'm dreaming:
*Connect MATA to OakLawn
*Oaklawn to Design District
*Design District to West Dallas (Continental Bridge REQUIRES a streetcar)

The possibilities are endless, it's only money!

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 17 Aug 2022 21:17

In-Dallas
-Ross/Lower Greenville
-Fort Worth Ave/west Commerce/Main St
-Cesar Chavez/S.M. Wright

Ultimate ambition/fantasy: the latest version of a map I've been working on for a few years. It's been a while since I really looked at it so I might make some changes soon. There are also alternate configurations on how to route some service patterns that I should add.

Outside of Dallas I don't think there's anywhere that would really work well, or wouldn't be better served by something else. Las Colinas should revamp/expand the APT, Richardson should just put in a downtown station on the Red Line like was the plan originally, and so on.